IGNORED

Bristol Pubs

Nogbad the Bad

Not really Bristol, however...

http://food.uk.msn.com/drink/official-the-uks-best-pubs-region-camra-good-beer-guide-2014-roger-protz-finalists#image=17

A pub in Dursley made it on the above list (slide17/18) - Old Spot Inn I believe it was.

Anyone been?

Dursley ain't too far from me so maybe worth a go.

Yep, I've made the pilgrimage to the Old Spot a couple of times, not for 2 or 3 years though.

Outstanding pub, definitely worth a visit.

Went to the Cornubia last week..

The outside seating area much improved since my last visit at least 5 years ago, friendly staff and clientele, mostly blokes and 50+, obviously there for the beer.

Good choice of beers but unfortunately the top 3 sellers had ran out leaving 6/7 others but not to my taste, being unusual beers but mostly either blonde or with a citrus taste.

I had a pint, then a half, of two different beers I'd never heard of but didn't enjoy either of them - sorry, I don't like beer tasting of lemon, no matter how highly it has been judged at some far off beer festival.

It's a very good pub and I'll return midweek when the genuine heavyweight top notch beers are in evidence but I won't be trying out highly recommended but simply odd tasting minority interest beers of Shropshire, or elsewhere, if they're not.

For me a traditional tasting, and looking, pint is crucial and these light coloured beers just don't do it for me.

Each to their own though, the heartily supping beer officionados seemed more than happy with what was on offer.

Decided to try the Green Man in Kingsdown on Saturday, As we approached the road was blocked off with a crowd sat around on beer barrels - some sort of annual beer festival. Inside very crowded and a large selectiuon of ales, but similar to the Cornubia alot of them were unusual and it was so packed we decided to head off to our 'reserve' for the night, The Hillgrove.

Good decision, The Hillgrove is a Dawkins pub, good selection of ales, interesting decor ( lots of stained glass windows, both original and more modern) fair sized outdoor area. All in all a very good pub; we chose Dawkins Bristol best which was excellent on the night. Pretty sure there were 3 fireplaces in what would once have been 3 separate bars, so would be a welcoming Winter pub too.

On the way out we spotted a pub sign just down the road and changed our route to investigate. The Hare on the Hill looks very similar to The Hillgrove in age and style - you couldn't help but look through the window as you walked up the hill. The inside looked good to me, as did the choice of beer on the blackboard, mostly Bath Ales.

I used to spend most of my nights in Kingsdown ensconced in the Kings Arms or The Scotsman blissfully unaware of these 3 gems, all well worth a visit for the traditional pub goer, and all easily doable in one night.

Well, popped into the Hare on the Hill. Nothing wrong with it at all, very reminiscent of a 70's pub and reasonable Bath Ales.

Just found the whole experience a bit ordinary, from the beer to the decor and the atmosphere. Have found enough really good traditional pubs recently to probably not make the trek again. Having said that if I lived in the area I'd be satisfied to have it on my doorstep along with the Hillgrove, and this is a traditional pub which is therefore worth a visit and should be supported. Whether it's particularly to my taste or not is neither here or there in the scheme of things.

One I would recommend is The Victoria, next to the Lido in Clifton. A very interesting pub, much changed from the fairly bland and brightly lit one I remember meeting at briefly to start a lunchtime crawl down to a City match in the early 80's. Talking of lighting, that's another thing I associate with a traditional alehouse - I want it dimly lit and atmospheric - ideally with a few old blokes smoking pipes in the corner - not brightly lit with shiny surfaces, and some lackey rushing over to spray the table every time a customer leaves and making the whole place stink of detergent. No pipe smokers unfortunately but otherwise this one fits the bill. Seven ales on offer - it's a Dawkins pub, and I'm recently very impressed with their ales, so that's a good start. Refurbished about 8 years ago including a fantastic bar and shelves behind with two prominent (working) antique clocks, the whole bar looks ancient and original but I'm told was manufactured ( from salvaged parts) especially for the refurbishment. The front bar area is served by a sort of hatch with the pumps and main bar area at the rear. Items of interest all over the pub without it looking they've just been plonked there for no reason. Just goes to show you can refurbish a fairly ordinary pub and make it something extraordinary. It is possible, so why have so many old pubs had their best bits riped out and character obliterated?

Didn't see (or smell) much sign of cooked food either - pickled eggs were the order of the day for the regulars. The Victoria is what I'd term 'a find' in traditional pub terms, even though much of the decor is comparatively recent. Bare wood floor, the right sized tables ( not great big dining tables like you find so often) and stools and seating that you barely notice because they fit the place so well. Not overly tidy either, the pub is obviously busy and lived in. It all works to create a really comfortable traditional alehouse feel with good beer and atmosphere. Many others obviously agree as it was more or less full by the time we left.

Well, popped into the Hare on the Hill. Nothing wrong with it at all, very reminiscent of a 70's pub and reasonable Bath Ales.

Just found the whole experience a bit ordinary, from the beer to the decor and the atmosphere. Have found enough really good traditional pubs recently to probably not make the trek again. Having said that if I lived in the area I'd be satisfied to have it on my doorstep along with the Hillgrove, and this is a traditional pub which is therefore worth a visit and should be supported. Whether it's particularly to my taste or not is neither here or there in the scheme of things.

One I would recommend is The Victoria, next to the Lido in Clifton. A very interesting pub, much changed from the fairly bland and brightly lit one I remember meeting at briefly to start a lunchtime crawl down to a City match in the early 80's. Talking of lighting, that's another thing I associate with a traditional alehouse - I want it dimly lit and atmospheric - ideally with a few old blokes smoking pipes in the corner - not brightly lit with shiny surfaces, and some lackey rushing over to spray the table every time a customer leaves and making the whole place stink of detergent. No pipe smokers unfortunately but otherwise this one fits the bill. Seven ales on offer - it's a Dawkins pub, and I'm recently very impressed with their ales, so that's a good start. Refurbished about 8 years ago including a fantastic bar and shelves behind with two prominent (working) antique clocks, the whole bar looks ancient and original but I'm told was manufactured ( from salvaged parts) especially for the refurbishment. The front bar area is served by a sort of hatch with the pumps and main bar area at the rear. Items of interest all over the pub without it looking they've just been plonked there for no reason. Just goes to show you can refurbish a fairly ordinary pub and make it something extraordinary. It is possible, so why have so many old pubs had their best bits riped out and character obliterated?

Didn't see (or smell) much sign of cooked food either - pickled eggs were the order of the day for the regulars. The Victoria is what I'd term 'a find' in traditional pub terms, even though much of the decor is comparatively recent. Bare wood floor, the right sized tables ( not great big dining tables like you find so often) and stools and seating that you barely notice because they fit the place so well. Not overly tidy either, the pub is obviously busy and lived in. It all works to create a really comfortable traditional alehouse feel with good beer and atmosphere. Many others obviously agree as it was more or less full by the time we left.

Nice little pub and definitely 'traditional'... I used to do the Sunday pub quiz in there a few years ago.

The only problem I have had with it in my recent visits is a strange and rather unpleasant musty aroma.

He doesn't.

But there are Charles Saatchi aplenty in 'traditional' pubs - or alcoholic dens as i prefer to name them.

Thankfully, the more this disgusting domestic abusive behaviour is highlighted and outed, the more the culture that perpetuates it will decline.

You are more likely to see all that shit in the gin palace super pubs in every city/town centre in the UK, not proper old fashioned boozers...

Not really Bristol, however...

http://food.uk.msn.com/drink/official-the-uks-best-pubs-region-camra-good-beer-guide-2014-roger-protz-finalists#image=17

A pub in Dursley made it on the above list (slide17/18) - Old Spot Inn I believe it was.

Anyone been?

Me ma used to live in Dursley, well Cam actually, cant think if this place is in Cam, or up in Uley. If its the Uley one tis a good pub, couple of real ales n ciders I think. If its the Cam one dunno much about it

Dursley ain't too far from me so maybe worth a go.

• Admin

If you want to pop into the West Coast HA's bar, it's the Packhorse. Sadly the Bristol, Bar/Bike scene has massively declined since the days of The Cutter, The Mardyke, The Granary, Tiffany's on aTuesday night and a few others who had a bike scene alongside the regular punters, like The Griffin and The Warwick Arms near the top of Lodge Causeway. Probably the same in most towns, I can remember going to the closing night of a pub in Cardiff called The Terminus, it coincided with a an invite to a NCC run, cracking night, Bonnie Tyler owned a club down the road and couldn't believe how many bikes were in Tiger Bay that night. Another regular haunt of mine were biker pubs in Newton Abbott and Torquay, now no longer there.

Anyone know of any decent biker pubs down there? Strange request for a footy site I know. Mardyke and Granary are the two I used to know. The Mardyke deffo aint..Granary sadly looooong gone

For a run down to Somerset, try the Waggon & Horses at Doulting. Just off the A37 before Shepton Mallet.

Anyone know of any decent biker pubs down there? Strange request for a footy site I know. Mardyke and Granary are the two I used to know. The Mardyke deffo aint..Granary sadly looooong gone

Bucks, the Tap and Barrel on Dean Lane, Southville, is advertised as 'Biker Friendly'. and I've seen a large number of bikes outside on occasions to prove it.

Dean Lane, if you don't know it, is at the end of North Street, about 15 minutes walk from AG.

Some reviews here: http://www.viewbristol.co.uk/pubsandbars/tap-and-barrel-info-39878.html

Any of you ever used to get in the Severn salmon? It's Houses now but I'm told that used to be a good lively pub back in the day?

Yes. Trouble was, it was far to big to be profitable, being designed for the hordes of visitors descending on Severn Beach. Same applies to the railway station, that had a huge queuing area for the returning masses.

Any of you ever used to get in the Severn salmon? It's Houses now but I'm told that used to be a good lively pub back in the day?

Was a decent pub the Salmon, used to get a few gas in there though! The Kings Arms was another good pub down that way, smaller and a bit more welcoming to strangers than the Salmon.

Archived