IGNORED

Bristol Pubs

Nogbad the Bad

I think Ashton Press is actually made by Thatchers nowadays (still marketed by Butcombe) might be wrong though.

I think Ashton Press is actually made by Thatchers nowadays (still marketed by Butcombe) might be wrong though.

Indeed your right. It trades under the long ashton cider company(butcombe) but is made at thatchers.

Also Black Rat by moles brewery in Wiltshire is made at Thatchers. Ribenna also made at Thatchers

Indeed your right. It trades under the long ashton cider company(butcombe) but is made at thatchers.

Also Black Rat by moles brewery in Wiltshire is made at Thatchers. Ribenna also made at Thatchers

I love Black Rat but, unfortunately, it's not mutual. It rots my guts quite dramatically :(

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Merchants Arms in Hotwells. Also the Adam and Eve in Hope Chappell Hill has just re-opened. This closes and re-opens on a regular basis so if you want to try it get there quick!

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Merchants Arms in Hotwells. Also the Adam and Eve in Hope Chappell Hill has just re-opened. This closes and re-opens on a regular basis so if you want to try it get there quick!

Not a bad shout Merchants Arms - bath ales pub aint it? As a cider drinker I'm not a big fan of the bounders cider they do but good old fashioned pub. Never been to Adam and Eve so it's on my list to tick off - not all posh in there like the rose of Denmark is it?

Not a bad shout Merchants Arms - bath ales pub aint it? As a cider drinker I'm not a big fan of the bounders cider they do but good old fashioned pub. Never been to Adam and Eve so it's on my list to tick off - not all posh in there like the rose of Denmark is it?

The Bounders Traditional is pretty good - think Thatchers Dry. They do it in the Wellington.

I first went into the Adam and Eve in the 70’s. Nothing much has changed – still bare boards and probably the same furniture. Of course this is quite trendy now. Don’t know what beer they’re selling now, as it only re-opened a couple of weeks ago, but there always used to be a reasonable selection of real ale.

Just got in from The wellington. Glorified resturant with bar staff straight out of college. Not a clue about who has been stood at a bar for more than 10 seconds.

The Bounders traditional was OK but ended up on the fizzy stuff as the traditional ran out. All in all, I'd recomend it on a Tuesday lunchtime when there are less than 20 people in there. Ideal Gas pub I suppose.

Just got in from The wellington. Glorified resturant with bar staff straight out of college. Not a clue about who has been stood at a bar for more than 10 seconds.

The Bounders traditional was OK but ended up on the fizzy stuff as the traditional ran out. All in all, I'd recomend it on a Tuesday lunchtime when there are less than 20 people in there. Ideal Gas pub I suppose.

The Wellie' is a Bath Gem Ale pub/restaurant chain, along with Graze on Queens Sqaure (I think, off corn street). Graze Chop House ain't really a pub, but does excellent steak!

Lazy Dog on Ashley Down is a nice 'pub' but not traditional. Has a great selection on drink though.

Funny - they always serve me pretty promptly. Must be my mad fanatical stare, I suppose ;)

Blimey Noggers you get round a fair bit.

Wouldn't mind meeting you for a swift one in one of these pubs to talk all things City.

Infact IF Carey gets another contract after this season coming I will but you a pint in all of them ;)

Not now T10, I'm a great fan of old pubs but only an occasional pub goer these days. My youth was a very different story and I've still got a couple of Bristol pub guides from the late '70's with a very healthy proportion of the pubs ticked off.

Marriage and bringing up children take a huge toll on pubbing though and the days when I'd roll merrily into Ashton Gate from the Nova after 4 pints ( via the assault course of vaulting numerous Cumberland basin barriers) are a thing of the past, and it's a very sober Nogbad at AG these days. :bored:

If Carey gets another flipping contract I may well be forced to rediscover the lost mighty thirst of my younger days and take you up on your very generous offer. Hopefully there will be enough pubs left because there's going to be one hell of a crawl needed to blur the senses when that (almost inevitable :doh:) depressing news breaks. ;)

Cause for some hope?

Sitting outside the Nova Scotia last night and looking over to the Cottage Inn.

Now, I'm sure that wasn't there when I used to sit here 30 years ago, just a dilapidated old building. Not saying it's a traditional old pub, or anything special, but it serves reasonable beer, and it's relatively new, reasonable atmosphere and decor. Big crowds outside, so obviously popular.

That got me thinking, how many new pubs have opened in Bristol in the last 30 years or so? Close by, although Hotwells Road generally has lost some great old pubs (I miss the lock ins at The Crown and Anchor and I got one of my only two ever 180's in the Spring Gardens on a lunchtime before a City game) the Pump House can't be much older, and the Grain Barge has appeared to lessen the blow of the demise of another of my old favourites, The Plume Of Feathers.

Then I was walking up Pembroke Road in Clifton today and what used to be the Channings Hotel had been renamed the Channings Free House, presumably making a point of selling real ale, and although no idea of ambience of the bar area, the garden on the side looked fairly inviting on a warm day.

Then of course there is the Penny Farthing on Whiteladies Road, mentioned earlier in the thread, which appears to have a really old fashioned feel, and by repute sells excellent ale, in an old building rightly reclaimed from a bank.

Perhaps all is not lost after all.

Cause for some hope?

Sitting outside the Nova Scotia last night and looking over to the Cottage Inn.

Now, I'm sure that wasn't there when I used to sit here 30 years ago, just a dilapidated old building. Not saying it's a traditional old pub, or anything special, but it serves reasonable beer, and it's relatively new, reasonable atmosphere and decor. Big crowds outside, so obviously popular.

That got me thinking, how many new pubs have opened in Bristol in the last 30 years or so? Close by, although Hotwells Road generally has lost some great old pubs (I miss the lock ins at The Crown and Anchor and I got one of my only two ever 180's in the Spring Gardens on a lunchtime before a City game) the Pump House can't be much older, and the Grain Barge has appeared to lessen the blow of the demise of another of my old favourites, The Plume Of Feathers.

Then I was walking up Pembroke Road in Clifton today and what used to be the Channings Hotel had been renamed the Channings Free House, presumably making a point of selling real ale, and although no idea of ambience of the bar area, the garden on the side looked fairly inviting on a warm day.

Then of course there is the Penny Farthing on Whiteladies Road, mentioned earlier in the thread, which appears to have a really old fashioned feel, and by repute sells excellent ale, in an old building rightly reclaimed from a bank.

Perhaps all is not lost after all.

The cottage is a butcombe owned pub

When Crockers closed to become some weird pizza/irish theme bar the Penny Farthing opened ran by the same bloke. And yes it does do some good beer

Crockers often had local bands playing and dim lighting when I used to go there - late 70's/early 80's.

When I returned there many years later it was modernised and unrecognisable, though still mainly an alcohol outlet, but with bright lights, padded seats and huge mirrors everywhere.

Presumably for the Clifton poseurs as opposed to the previous fairly unkempt denim jacket mob who'd progressed down there from Tiff's Tuesday 'heavy night'.

Haven't even bothered to look to see what's there now, if anything.

Can you still do the Westbury 8, or is it now the 5? Been a long time since I've been in Bristol.

I used to like the pub behind sainsburys...sheet whats its name, in Clifton, oh my God my brain has gone..

Channings was fun, Mall, Albion.

God my brain is full of ****, I cant remember the pubs on the Glocker, anyways, bet a few have closed down, shame.

Can you still do the Westbury 8, or is it now the 5? Been a long time since I've been in Bristol.

I used to like the pub behind sainsburys...sheet whats its name, in Clifton, oh my God my brain has gone..

Channings was fun, Mall, Albion.

God my brain is full of ****, I cant remember the pubs on the Glocker, anyways, bet a few have closed down, shame.

Westbury 7 now. Foresters long gone. Pub behind Sainsbury's used to be calle platform one then the steam tavern it's been a naff student bar for ages. Aussie theme I think. Albion is a gastro pub

Archived