IGNORED

Bristol Pubs

Nogbad the Bad

The Hope & Anchor in Shire.. my family are (were) frequent visitors there ... up for sale for the god-knows-how-many-ith (new word thing there!) time..! Absolute hole, but about a thirty second walk from their house!

I'm a fan of The Robin Hood on St Michael's Hill and The Ship Inn near Christmas Steps (maybe a bit studenty, but then again, I am one!)

Edit.. my 1,000 and it's completely unrelated to football, typical!

Blue Flame, Nailsea West End, you won't get much more unchanged than that.

I haven't been for a few months and believe its changed hands, but the Rising Sun at Pensford was also a 'proper' pub.

Again, I haven't been since the revamp, but I have heard the beer in here http://www.barleymowbristol.com/ is good.

Its a shame that so many pubs are closing / changing, I recall when I lived in the Chessels that there were 60 pubs within half an hours walk and well over 100 within an hours walk. I also have a list of old Bedminster pubs, there were 100 from north/west st through to Redcliffe.

The Green Tree and Volunteer Riflemans in Bath are both pubs for drinking in, not full of brats and families - the sign most likely to make me not go into a pub is " Families Welcome".

An hours train ride away, but some decent pubs in Exeter.

The 2 Bath pubs you mention are the exact 2 'corkers' I referred to in the OP which I found last weekend. Both well worth extended visits. Bath is fortunate to have such excellent central pubs and so many shoppers and tourists to aid their survival. Broadmead and Cabots Circus are a disgrace when it comes to pubs in comparison to the shopping areas of Bath and the good number of interesting pubs amongst the shops.

My daughter went to University in Exeter so we visited often, again very impressed with the pub scene down there.

We used to do the Hotwells crawl in my youth, starting at the Nova and ending up at the Three Tuns and even then were told how many more pubs their used to be, even a generation before. Since then The Crown and Anchor, Spring Gardens and Plume of Feathers ( where we met up pre-City for years) have all bitten the dust, thougfh the Grain Barge is a relatively new addition. Unfortunately it would be a much less exacting crawl these days.

I've heard many good things about the Blue Flame and have been meaning to go there for years. Thanks for the reminder and I'll check out the Rising Sun as well.

Cornubia near Temple Back had plenty of real ales/cider last time was there a couple of years ago. Bridge Inn, not too far away, small but cosy with good ale selection.

Also went to the Cornubia a couple of years ago, an out of the way pub with great beer that deserves support. I can't place the Bridge Inn, but having looked it up it sounds good and seems to be in reasonable walking distance for me so I'll make a point of finding it.

CPS is no more. Becoming a bl00dy restaurant :grr:

I feared a thread like this might inevitably bring more bad news, and that is very bad news indeed. :no:

Blue Flame, Nailsea West End, you won't get much more unchanged than that.

I haven't been for a few months and believe its changed hands, but the Rising Sun at Pensford was also a 'proper' pub.

Again, I haven't been since the revamp, but I have heard the beer in here http://www.barleymowbristol.com/ is good.

Its a shame that so many pubs are closing / changing, I recall when I lived in the Chessels that there were 60 pubs within half an hours walk and well over 100 within an hours walk. I also have a list of old Bedminster pubs, there were 100 from north/west st through to Redcliffe.

The Green Tree and Volunteer Riflemans in Bath are both pubs for drinking in, not full of brats and families - the sign most likely to make me not go into a pub is " Families Welcome".

An hours train ride away, but some decent pubs in Exeter.

If you're gonna range about outside Bristol for traditional pubs, can I include the Hunters Lodge near Priddy. It's the land that time forgot there. No lager, just bitter or cider and shovehappeny rather than a jukebox. Lovely.

What a fantastic thread (before it went off at a tangent)...

...I fell in love with the traditional English boozer when I was about 14 (about 1984)...

...I do like the Penny Farthing on Whiteladies Road...

...An oasis of a great traditional pub for regulars and visitors alike, amongst the trendy aluminium and plastic bars that surround it.

...I fell in love with the traditional English boozer when I was about 14 (about 1984)...

...An oasis of a great traditional pub for regulars and visitors alike, amongst the trendy aluminium and plastic bars that surround it.

They do nice, reasonably priced pub grub there too!

Ah, the not so long ago wonderful days when banks shut down and were replaced by superbly renovated pubs. I've walked through the Penny Farthing and liked the look of it, but never drank in it, that state of affairs clearly needs to be rectified.

Hopefully we'll see similar halcyon days of traditional pub resurgence again, and very soon.

The Old Barn, despite it's Olde Worlde ambience and traditiional feel is in fact only 16 years old, so the bar staff told me, so there is some hope amongst the gloomy sight of boarded up old favourites and For Sale signs.

I seem to remember you work in the pub trade Superjack, if it's a non spoilt traditional pub with top notch ales this is your chance to advertise it!

(If you've already done it clandestinely by mentioning the Penny Farthing, fair shout, see you in there sometime.) ;)

I seem to remember you work in the pub trade Superjack, if it's a non spoilt traditional pub with top notch ales this is your chance to advertise it!

(If you've already done it clandestinely by mentioning the Penny Farthing, fair shout, see you in there sometime.) ;)

Forgot to mention the port o call tucke away behind the awful kings arms at the top of blackboy! Also the beauford just around the corner again. Darts, pool fullers and Thatcher's

What's a 'traditional' pub?

To me they represent places which are the domain of alcoholic, aggressive, bullying, domestic-abusing men.

Yes, there are some old pubs which are exemplars of great tradition. Sadly - most of the so-called traditional pubs in Bristol are domains for men who are intent on holding on to a vile past.

Thankfully - most women are wising up to these abusive morons and moving on with their lives - leaving the pissheads to wallow in the alcoholic haze of their old way of life in their ever diminishing boozers...

Thankfully - most women are wising up to this

You do realise that the majority of pub goers visit pubs to have a drink, meet people, talk catch up, relax.

Not all pub goers are alcoholic wife beating pissheads. You can even get an orange juice in a pub. Traditional or not.

FWIW, you can't beat Nova Scotia IMO.

Forgot to mention the port o call tucke away behind the awful kings arms at the top of blackboy! Also the beauford just around the corner again. Darts, pool fullers and Thatcher's

I used to play for the POC darts team in the late '70's. The dartboard was in the right hand bar, 'the port', along with the juke box and us younger clientele were tolerated in there by the landlord, Nancarrow, while he chatted to his older regulars in the left hand bar, 'the starboard'.

Went back a year or two ago and sat in the Starboard which was largely unchanged, but the port was unrecognisable, no dartboard or juke box and full of tables laid out for food, and completely empty. The starboard is a good little bar on it's own though, and the beer was improved from the 70's/early 80's, as was the welcome.

The Kings Arms was a decent enough pub in those days, dartboard, skittle alley etc. it's a bit weird now it's been modernised, nothing to recommend it, definitely not for me. Shame because it was built to be a bloody good pub and until successive owners mucked it around and ruined it, that's exactly what it was.

Also used to go in the Coach and Horses, and the Red Lion, Worrall Road, which had 2 dartboards. Remember we were in there in the evening after City beat Rovers 2-1 in the Cup and there was a City scarf draped over the mirror behind the bar so must have been owned by City fans in the mid. 80's. Walked past it recently and not sure exactly what it is now, seemingly some sort of wine place, not the old Red Lion that's for sure, but too disappointed to investigate further.

Only been to the Beaufort a couple of times and a long time ago. I know it was notorious for a while for supposedly being John Cannan's watering hole.

As mentioned the Cornubia is a good pub. Whenever I'm back in Bristol, I try and get in a trip to the Bridge Inn too. My favourite however is probably Seven Stars which is next door to the Fleece. Great beer.

The centre itself has been poor for a while now in my opinion. Incredibly frustrating!

Don't go to town often enough and when I do (when not going to football) normally take a wonder down whiteladies then into the centre,

A fair few crackers there sadly they are closing left right and centre, but that happens when you over tax something, the trade will die out

Don't go to town often enough and when I do (when not going to football) normally take a wonder down whiteladies then into the centre,

A fair few crackers there sadly they are closing left right and centre, but that happens when you over tax something, the trade will die out

And when you let supermarkets practically give booze away.

A couple of years back I led a party of about 12 guys - only one of them Bristolian - on an all-day Bristol pub crawl. The weather was perfect and there was some sort of festival on the harbourside. A veggie one, I think ... beer has clouded my memory.

The itinerary was The Ostrich; some bland harbourside place, Lloyds No 1 I think; the veggie festival beer tent; the Brewery Tap; the Highbury Vaults; the Hillgrove Porter Store; the Old England and then some dodgy club in Stokes Croft.

A mixed bag - not all my choice, my co-Bristolian was of the crusty persuasion, but all the first time visitors were most impressed.

Twenty-two pints finished off by an iffy kebab - and I woke up the next morning, fully-clothed with the telly left on, in a bedroom at the Mercure and I felt.... fine. Must've walked it off!

If you're gonna range about outside Bristol for traditional pubs, can I include the Hunters Lodge near Priddy. It's the land that time forgot there. No lager, just bitter or cider and shovehappeny rather than a jukebox. Lovely.

No harm in ranging a bit further afield, good pubs deserve support wherever they are! I 'm in the Bradford on Avon area a fair bit.

The Hop Pole at Limpley Stoke is a good old pub, beer nothing special (a few real ales) but a really cosy traditional old bar on the right as you go in, especially with the fire going in the Winter. Just the sight of this ancient alehouse from the outside makes it essential it thrives and continues as a PH.

The Dog and Fox in Ashley, just outside BOA, likewise, good beer, very friendly locals, field of cows opposite. The large right hand bar is mostly put over to food, but traditional drinkers bar remains to the left so I'm happy enough with that. Good local real ales, including guests.

The Fox and Badger, Wellow. Found this just a few weeks ago, great old pub, like stepping back in time. The locals are very lucky to have it on their doorstep, hopefully they'll support it, along with those of us who happily chance upon it.

Sadly, my old local, the Bull Terrier in Croscombe, just outside of Shepton Mallet closed this week. :no:

It was a pub for 600 years, but couldn't survive the triple whammy of the smoking ban, cheap supermarket booze and soaring utility bills. Like all country pubs, the way drink-driving is enforced in this country obviously didn't help either.

Remember the Current Lot promising to do something to help pubs? What did they do - SFA!

And I'm not talking about that lot in Jockoland ;)

Fact is, no politician dares upset the supermarkets, because both major parties and the Lie Dems are funded by them :grr:

Don't drink alcohol anymore but used to love my real ale. Bristol has some cracking boozers, one of my all time favourites was the Bag o' Nails, tiny and like someone's living room but great changing guest ales & pleasant clientele.

As mentioned above, Highbury Vaults & Hill grove porter stores another 2 good ins for real ale fans.

Bristol is "drenched" in real ale pubs, as we are up here in Manchester, absolutely cracking selection of timeless boozers up here.

For a city of its size Cardiff has only the City Arms & a pub or 2 in Pontcanna that serve real ales, the Brains Gestapo (Cardiff council) made sure of that!

A couple of years back I led a party of about 12 guys - only one of them Bristolian - on an all-day Bristol pub crawl. .

Twenty-two pints finished off by an iffy kebab - and I woke up the next morning, fully-clothed with the telly left on, in a bedroom at the Mercure and I felt.... fine. Must've walked it off!

Only twenty two pints................ in a full day? :shocking:

Don't drink alcohol anymore but used to love my real ale.

Don't worry about the pubs suffering, sounds like Red Robbo is more than making up for your abstinence. :yes:

Great thread, brings back some really good memories of my time living in Europe's greatest city.

I also lived about 100 yards away from the Clyde Arms Nogbad and apparently I've spent a few nights in the Cotham Porter Stores........though I'll have to take my mates word on that, much as I love cider I'm afraid the rough stuff in there got the better of me a few times!

A good old English pub albeit one that has ventured into doing quality food, is just about the main thing I miss living in France.

With City back in my favourite division and pubs struggling for business, perhaps its time to come home. :)

Sad time for pubs with so many struggling, disappearing or becoming unrecognisable on the inside as modernisation for food leaves drinkers ever more sidelined.

Still a good few left though, and I might be missing some hidden gems. Which pubs in the Bristol area are so special - whether it be location, quality of the ale, atmosphere/ old fashioned bars - that pub goers should make a point of visiting to play their part in ensuring their survival?

I'm looking ideally for pubs that have changed as little as possible over a long period and retain the feel of a pub ( rather than a restaurant where you can also buy alcohol) and for me anyway, they need to sell top quality real ale, and a good selection. Selling food is fine as long as it doesn't completely dominate and there is a decent area for drinkers.

For instance two I frequent are The Angel, Long Ashton, and the Portcullis in Clifton, both of which retain, for the most part, a traditional pub feel. I'm also a (very) long term occasional visitor to the Nova Scotia, which doesn't seem to have altered in the past 35 years. Also found a couple of corkers in the centre of Bath last week.

I've recently seen recommendations on the forum for The Barn at Nailsea (which I wasn't even aware of) but will now pay a visit. Any others that shouldn't be missed, and what is it about them that they deserve the support of devotees of the traditional English pub?

Fantastic thread and a topic that is very close to my heart. I've always enjoyed going to new pubs (new, as in new to me - I prefer them to be as old fashioned as possible) so much that around 2 years ago I said to myself that I am going to visit every single pub in Bristol - not got down to doing a proper list but I have a list of every licensed premises in Greater Bristol and from that I reckon I have been to about 250 out of around 350 pubs in Bristol so I'm not far off....

My favourite pubs would be Avon Packet, Cornubia, Kings Head (victoria st), Lord Raglan (St. George), 3 lions.

Nova Scotia is great as is the Portcullis in Clifton (Royal oak is my favourite in Clifton) - Last week me and a few mates did a few in St. Pauls and Easton - now that was an interesting experience. I wouldn't advise The Jamaica Inn.....

White horse in Westbury. Bass and butcombe and Thatcher's. Bit rough sometimes. Post office tavern is ok. Good beer.

Cambridge arms. Westbury park. Fullers pub. Clyde arms in Redland. Cracking pint of tribute. 2 darts teams and 2 pool teams. Colston arms on st Michael's hill.

If it's stil going then search out the cotham porter stores

Favourite pub in WOT is the Prince of Wales - went in there a couple of weeks ago and was great. The mouse and the Pot at Wot are decent too. Don't like how the Eastfield has been done out mind.

I was a regular in The Hoss - once a week - for about 25 years kev after discovering the Draught Bass in about '78. Second pub I ever got served in (after The Duck) when old Bill Webb was landlord. Really disappointed on my last visit last year, very run down, didn't seem to have a landlord (or many custmers) and the famous Bass was not being well kept - which is very bad news next day!! I remember when you couldn't move in there on a Sunday lunchtime and it was packed with fantastic old characters.

I know all the Redland pubs from when I used to have a bedsit about 100 yards from The Clyde; glad to hear the one's mentioned are still going strong. Fuller's at The Cambridge, eh?

Cotham Porter Stores? Met up there for the start my stag night crawl in '85. Great little pub in those days and the only pub I've ever got into drinking cider bar the Coronation Tap.

Didn't like the Cambridge arms, candles, leather sofas, posh food menu, expensive - not a proper pub for me.

Cotham Porter stores seems to have closed down - tried going in there last week. Colston arms on St. Michaels rd is worth a shout. The bank tavern in town is definitely up there - one of the best back street boozers you're likely to find with a different guest cider each week.

Archived