IGNORED

Derrick Williams

Rocky

Fits the "affordable and young, with room for further development" criteria set out by the Board. Good to see the club actually sticking to its stated aims, so far.

Also relieved to see a second central defender arrive. Flint was the key signing, given the failure to secure an orthodox centre half ever since McCombe's departure, but my loss of confidence in Fontaine is terminal. Its true he's better alongside a big ball-winner and all that, but what happens when Flint is unfit and LF has to assume more responsibility? (It's a rhetorical question, by the way - I think we all know the answer to that based on past experience, especially last season). More cover for this position is extremely welcome.

Well done to Pemberton, SOD and the Board. Credit where due.

Turned down a new contract at Villa.....Good signs.

Is this becoming a trend? And I don't just mean among the players we're signing.

With the unemployment level among pro footballers expected to rise, maybe there is a new sense of realism beginning to set in. It's refreshing to see hungry young players refusing to hang around at Prem clubs where they know they stand little chance of breaking into the first team, and being prepared to drop down a level, or even two, in order to build a career. It suggests a genuine desire to make the grade in the game and not just hang around picking a up a good wage and posing in nightclubs.

None at all from me - said so in other threads/posts about him and Wynter, they need time to develop.

But it would be a huge bonus if he turned out like Caulker and was able to hit the ground up an running.

If he's even half as good as Caulker, he'll be the best defender in L1 bar none!

Calm down, lads. Getting a bit over-excited here. Let's just manage those expectation levels, shall we?

He might not even be a regular yet. I am just pleased we aren't seeing over the hill players rocking up for one last pay day anymore. I am glad the club is targeting young and hungry players with the potential to improve. It's a win win for the club.

Good move and if he's 6'2" then we've filled that tall centre back role people wanted in two swift hits. Flint at 6'5" and Williams at 6'2". Let's just hope they can handle it on the ground to some degree too.

Calm down, lads. Getting a bit over-excited here. Let's just manage those expectation levels, shall we?

I'm as cool as a cucumber Cliffinge, I just thought that the 'as good as Caulker' thing was a bit much as Caulker's the best centre half I've seen play for City in my 21 years following the club.

DW sort of let the cat out of the bag when, in response to the question "What have Messrs SOD and Burt said to you about their plans for the coming season?", he replied "To bounce straight back up".

That's a much stronger statement than SOD's "We need to be patient and not expect too much too soon ... "..

I'm very happy to go along with SOD and think his is the right approach - lower expectations then overachieve, but it's exciting nonetheless to hear of such positive intent from inside the camp.

I'm as cool as a cucumber Cliffinge, I just thought that the 'as good as Caulker' thing was a bit much as Caulker's the best centre half I've seen play for City in my 21 years following the club.

Couldn't agree more. I've rarely if ever seen such maturity in a player of his age. How old was he when he arrived at AG? Eighteen, was it? He put some of the senior players around him to shame with his composure. If Williams is half as good at twenty I'll be delighted.

Well, quite a bit more could be said, possibly.

I'm not looking for a dispute just for the sake of it, but it could be argued (indeed, generally has been argued) that the decline that eventually led to relegation started well before McInnes dispensed with the old guard. There was no shortage of strong criticism of those backroom staff on Otib during Millen's reign, for example: practically every day you could read posts querying the capabilities of the coaches then in post.

You obviously haven't got much time for McInnes, which is fair enough. I'm not trying to defend him at all. But it seems almost perverse to seek to make the case against him by trying now to portray the staff who were here when he arrived as the injured parties. If they'd been doing that good a job, there'd have been no need for McInnes (or any other new manager) to be appointed in the first place.

I'm just trying to put the point into some perspective and context, is all. The inquest on here that followed relegation contained many shades of opinion, but one theme seemed fairly consistent, and that was a consensus that it had been coming a long time and that there had been failings at all levels within the club - players, coaches, managers, board.

Taken to its logical extreme, your argument would seem to imply that if (a) McInnes hadn't been appointed and (b) all the old coaching staff had been retained, then we'd still be in the Championship. That would take a bit of swallowing and I'm not sure you'd find many here who would go down that road with you.

Yes you could read any amount of criticism of players, officials of the club, coaches, Brian Tinnion et al on here on any given day. Criticism on here is often for its own sake and its up to the individual to work out whether it is deserved or not!

Yes we had some poor signings over an extended period, however we managed to retain our status despite a trio of mediocre managers as we managed to pick up the points needed particularly the season before last.

You can only do so much as a coach...McInness picked the team as did Millen and Coppell. McInness continued to pick poor teams last season and one can only assume that he was in conversation with the coaching staff he had put in place...Poor signings poor team sheets and poor performances...Result relegation. Let us not forget we were 4-0 down to the team that was immediately above us at Half Time...How messed up is that

Yes it had been coming if we did not bring in the right person. Clearly McInness was not the right person and we rejected SoD and Robins. Whether they would have been able to stop the rot given the same time and same starting point as McInness who knows, but the concensus on here now is SoD is the right man...But we will never know what may have happend if he was made the manager instead of McInness

Your words not mine about logical extremes! If McInness had not been appointed we will never know what would have happend in the league and in the backroom so I'm not sure what you mean about extending arguements, nevertheless what we do know is SoD and the DoF are letting McInness back room staff go and in at least in the case of Brian Tinnion they are employing people with an affinity with the club and SoD demands this as part of his plan....

Yes you are right about my thoughts about McInness. He was obviously awful as a coach and a manager and it was obvious long before he was fired....No other manager has managed to clear AG at half time so consistantly assisted by his own sycophants

Archived