IGNORED

Marlon Pack

forbespm

What? I wouldn't say she's out of this world good looking... I see girls like that every weekend when I am in town.

My missus is similar looking but with slightly darker hair

Amazing what beer goggles can transform!

He wants to sign for us.

His agent has advised him to join us.

We have free funds now.

He's also wanted in SPL and Championship, but glad we're the team for him!

Would make our midfield very strong in depth.

As someone like Jay Simpson and we'll be looking very strong!

Our bench will have players as good as good as those they'll replace during the 90 mins which is a rarity for us.

Looking excellent.

Good work Burt n S'OD n co.

He wants to sign for us.

His agent has advised him to join us.

We have free funds now.

He's also wanted in SPL and Championship, but glad we're the team for him!

Would make our midfield very strong in depth.

As someone like Jay Simpson and we'll be looking very strong!

Our bench will have players as good as good as those they'll replace during the 90 mins which is a rarity for us.

Looking excellent.

Good work Burt n S'OD n co.

I was just thinking that we now have balance and depth, (we still need a striker and imo another left sided midfielder)

is there any basis on that or is it the post lifting things from here again?

I must admit I'm inderefferent to pack I think he's extremely over-rated on here much like JeT not to say he's a bad player but people on here are making these players sound like scholes and messi

I have to disagree with you Monkey man.

I've probably been one of those who've championed Pack the most on here. Never have I overestimated his ability and I disagree that he's been overrated on here.

The simple facts that have been put on here over the years are that Pack has clearly been a player of high regard in League 2 and many feel he is capable of making the step up. The fact he's on our doorstep, he's cheap, he's young and willing to learn, he doesn't need to uproot to come here and he's got a good head on his shoulders make him a good type and probably increases the hype somewhat. But he's never been overrated on here in my opinion.

I've seen Pack a few times live and I'll share with you a little scouting report I put together after they played Everton in the FA Cup earlier this year. Hopefully this will tell those who don't know what type of player to expect :

Pack played in a 3 man midfield as the deepest lying player. From the off it was clear that his job was to pick up Fellaini - who was playing just behind the lone striker Jelavic. Throughout the first half in particular, Pack did a very good job in this role, making sure he tracked Fellaini's runs or passed him on to the full-back / centre-back when necessary if Osman pushed higher or Jelavic dropped deeper.

It was noticeable that his positioning was excellent - from any balls hit forward, Pack made sure he positioned himself 5 yards in front of Jelavic (between he and Fellaini) and the number of 2nd balls he picked up as a result was not coincidental. On numerous occasions, Jelavic either had a poor touch or the defender managed to knock him off balance or get a touch, and Pack was in the right place to pick up the scraps.

He also put in numerous tackles on Jelavic & Fellaini and made a couple of good blocks or headers within his own box. All in all, he coped admirably with the significant threat of Fellaini and understood the DMC role perfectly well.

The only times he did look a little more uncomfortable was when the excellent Osman was on the ball and running with it. A couple of times Pack missed a challenge and Osman was past him, but he recovered quickly and fought back to close Osman again.

When Cheltenham gained possession and Pack was on the ball, he looked assured, not panicked (even at one point with 3 Everton players closing him down on the edge of his own box he remained calm and played a simple ball to his full back to relieve the pressure).

3 of his teams best chances came as a result of Pack picking up the ball in a deep-lying position, playing a forceful through ball forward where Cheltenham were able to attack. Their goal in particular came from Pack making an excellent challenge midway inside his own half, getting on the ball, looking up and feeding a forward pass beyond the high Everton midfield to Mohamed, who then proceeded to play in Penn for the goal.

Likewise, he created a chance for himself by picking up a 2nd ball, passing to space wide of the centre-half for his forward to run onto, and followed his pass up to receive the ball inside the box for a blocked shot and a resulting corner.

There were a couple of moments late in the 2nd half where he gave the ball away cheaply, and this perhaps seemed a little down to tiredness, but overall, his quality and composure on the ball was evident and he rarely misplaced a pass, kept possession simple when necessary but also forced the play when the opportunity arose too.

Overall, his performance up against a very strong Everton team was very good, he didn't look overawed or out of place, kept a very good check on the impressive Fellaini, knew the restraints of his holding duty, positioned himself well for scraps and 2nd balls, made plenty of tackles and blocks and used the ball well.

Can't be looking at too much wage-wise so a small fee wouldn't be too much of a push for this guy. There seems to be a very overrated/not overrated argument going on which I can't be a part of but he's untested at this level overall but has been looked at at a few clubs. He'd give us another option and we need it with Kelly out for a bit and to be honest I like the chance we'd be taking. Any new player we take in in such a big position on the pitch is a risk. This one is a cheap risk and a player with a lot of potential if we get it right. He may well be overrated for all I know but O'Driscoll is doing well with a few of the dodgy options we had last season; Kilkenny is looking decent, Fontaine isn't doing too badly, nobody has complained about James Wilson at all during pre-season, he's done very well in the transfer market and I've no doubt he'll make the correct decision ultimately.

Sky were reporting on 2ndJuly that he was considering offers from several Championship and league One clubs, now he's asking us for a trial and is here. Seems a bit strange to me, unless he really doesn't want to move away from the area. Maybe a step up to the Championship will be a step to soon for him, he might want to play football not be in someone's development squad.

Sky were reporting on 2ndJuly that he was considering offers from several Championship and league One clubs, now he's asking us for a trial and is here. Seems a bit strange to me, unless he really doesn't want to move away from the area. Maybe a step up to the Championship will be a step to soon for him, he might want to play football not be in someone's development squad.

This is why I say he's got a good head on his shoulders.

By all accounts he wants to be very careful with his career, take it one step at a time. He's proven himself at league 2 and he wants to step up to league 1, not get ahead of himself.

He's also settled in the area so makes sense for him to stick around.

I think it's a little falsehood that he asked us for a trial. I understand city have been interested for some time and he's been aware of that and was patient enough to wait for city to have the funds and squad space available.

O'Driscoll clearly stated his agent advised him it'd be best to join us, rather than a Championsip club.

I'm guessing as he has more chance for regular football here.

Also he praised Packs agent and has worked with him before. This agent has some sense apparently.

Thanks for your replies. I don't know too much about him or not seen or heard the SoD interview yet. I just wondered why nothing came of the interest from other clubs. I like your replies and take hope from them that he becomes our player.

Archived