IGNORED

Mnf - A Sad Indictment Of Top Tier English Football

SimplyRed

I've just watched the Monday Night Football on Sky and was saddened to note there was just THREE English players in the starting 22.

Is it any wonder that our national team struggles in the international arena?

Surely the Premier League can no longer be called "English Football"? It is simply football which happens to be played in England with English clubs!

What is happening to OUR game?

I've just watched the Monday Night Football on Sky and was saddened to note there was just THREE English players in the starting 22.

Is it any wonder that our national team struggles in the international arena?

Surely the Premier League can no longer be called "English Football"? It is simply football which happens to be played in England with English clubs!

What is happening to OUR game?

It's not ours any more SR, and hasn't been for a long time

Imagine what it will look like in another 5 years if we don't do anything. PL is a turn off for me

Premiership clubs could be seen as some sort of franchise/brand. A rich foreign investor picks a club, maybe changes the name, re-brands the stadium, brings in a foreign coach and imports overseas players. The matches are then televised worldwide and we have a global brand that is then promoted close season with tours of the Far East and the USA. The ticket prices rocket and the grounds come to resemble theatres and the whole demographic of the spectator base changes. A few clubs - notably Swansea - have bucked this trend to some extent. More importantly, do we want part of this?

Every League team should have a minimum of 6 English players in their starting line-up on a average over the season (to account for injuries). That would certainly give motivation to the likes of United, Cheslea, Manshity, Arsehall to produce some English talent. It would also solve the problem of Rooney, I think United would then have to include him and that will keep him fit for England.

The PL bugs the hell out of me - All this talent waiting in the youth teams of some great teams but they dont get played and more often or not get sold to the lower leagues. It's all money. Rubbish.

ANyone else fed up already with Carraghers accent? Goes so high pitched haha!

P.S. I am not a racist

More importantly, do we want part of this?

We - as Bristol city maybe not

But We - as in Sky subscribers (those of us who do) have made this all possible, we fund sky they fund the PL- clubs buy the best players, often from abroad....to raise the standard ....to charge more from Sky.....who charge more from us.....and so it goes on

Depressing to hear Greg Dyke Chairman of the FA saying that foreign money in English football will never change now. The horse bolted a long time ago on that one and it's what's ultimately driven English football to the position it finds itself in now.

The toothless FA have sat back and let the Premier League spiral out of control.

As you rightly say the Premier League is no longer an 'English league'.

That's why there's no doubt in my mind we're heading towards a European super league and also the Premier League globetrotting.

Cardiff fans coming on here chirping away at how great they are, wonder how they'll feel when they are playing a quota of home games in south east Asia??

Personally, I want no part in that but good luck to em.

The thing is, I wouldn't mind if this was confined to the Premier League but, to a lesser extent, it is also happening in the Football League with many of the bigger clubs fielding foreign talent.

One of the problems has also been the rise of the EEC, without a doubt. At one time, UEFA could dictate how many foreign players were allowed in each team, but no longer - thanks to the EEC.

If the FA had invested in better coaching, maybe clubs wouldn't need to go abroad to find talent.

It's difficult, and probably incorrect, to lay the blame on one particular event and, in truth, the contributing factors have all come together to create what we see today.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy watching PL football, and perhaps I am a contributing factor too, but it's getting to the stage where the identity "English Football" has lost it's meaning and it's importance in the greater scheme of things. That's what I find sad.

The problem with a 'quota system' for the number of English players is that you add a premium onto the already expensive transfer fees for home-grown talent. Coupled with the academy system and new financial rules, you'd end up with all loads of very good English players sat on the benches of ManUre, Citeh, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc. because the smaller PL clubs can't afford them and the big clubs can't afford to let them go. I do think that the penny is starting to drop with regards mutually English talent and we will start to see more of the young, local lads coming through; Barkley started very well for Everton on Saturday and he was up against Redmond for Norwich who also looked decent. Moyes used players like Keane and Lingard a lot in preseason and Southampton had Ward-Prowse and Shaw starting for them at the weekend

The other way to look at it is if there was a quota for English players in Premier League sides, would we have someone like JET in our side now or would he be warning the bench of a Hull or a West Brom, just so they can meet their target?

Premier League clubs could be seen as some sort of franchise/brand. A rich foreign investor picks a club, maybe changes the name, re-brands the stadium, brings in a foreign coach and imports overseas players. The matches are then televised worldwide and we have a global brand that is then promoted close season with tours of the Far East and the USA. The ticket prices rocket and the grounds come to resemble theatres and the whole demographic of the spectator base changes. A few clubs - notably Swansea - have bucked this trend to some extent. More importantly, do we want part of this?

The only way football will change is if fans walk with their feet.

We sit and moan about how football is going, either down the pub. at work or through a forum, but we actually do **** all about it.

By 'feeding the monster', either by going to games or subscribing to Sky, it will only get worse.

It has now become a catch 22.

Take our own Club for example.

SL's dream is for us to be in a shiney new stadium, all corperate and comfy. To get to the Prem etc.

But do 'real football' fans want that. Would the majority of City fans we have now be prepared to pay £40 a game and up?

What is sad, is that if we did make the Prem, many fans we have now, wouldn't be able to afford to go,,, but would be easily replaced by a new set of fans that can, and enjoy the glory and glitz.

If change is ever to happen, then fans need to unite and stop going.

Preferably, i'd like the FA to take the game by the scruff of the neck and go down the German route.

However they won't because too many at the top make a bloody good living from the way it is.

TBH I don't really give a toss about the nationality of footballers. I just like watching good football. There are things I dislike about the Prem (media hype, cheating, abusing refs) but nationality isn't a big deal for me. I am sure the majority will bang the Engerland drum though.

If we want the England national side to be better I think the FA could significantly improve the standard of young players by limiting the size of academy squads to 18 u-21s, forcing players to sign for clubs down the pyramid where they'll get games instead of sitting in the stands until 22.

I don't think there's any real need to limit the number of foreigners in an XI, firstly I doubt EU law allows it and secondly the economic differences will level out in time so it won't necessarily be cheaper to sign foreigners.

TBH I don't really give a toss about the nationality of footballers. I just like watching good football. There are things I dislike about the Prem (media hype, cheating, abusing refs) but nationality isn't a big deal for me.

I am sure the majority will bang the Engerland drum though.If we want the England national side to be better I think the FA could significantly improve the standard of young players by limiting the size of academy squads to 18 u-21s, forcing players to sign for clubs down the pyramid where they'll get games instead of sitting in the stands until 22.

I don't think there's any real need to limit the number of foreigners in an XI, firstly I doubt EU law allows it and secondly the economic differences will level out in time so it won't necessarily be cheaper to sign foreigners.

Completely agree Nibor. I too like the PL and whenever this point about too many foreign players I always think of those terrific players we've had the pleasure of watching.

Klinsman, Zola, Henry, Bergkamp,Ronaldo, Vieira, Van Persie, Torres and Fabregas to name just a few

Completely agree Nibor. I too like the PL and whenever this point about too many foreign players I always think of those terrific players we've had the pleasure of watching.

Klinsman, Zola, Henry, Bergkamp,Ronaldo, Vieira, Van Persie, Torres and Fabregas to name just a few

Produced by more forward thinking leagues and FA' s.

The premier league and FA push down standards here nationally by having no cohesive strategy for the development of kids from an early age.

France, Germany, the Netherlands and Spain spend far more on coaching kids than the world's richest league.

Britain is in the dark ages as far as developments goes. Strategy for kids pre academy age is non existent. English kids by eight and nine generally are already years behind those abroad. It's saddening to witness children's coaching set ups abroad v the UK' s.

The malaise could easily be rectified by diverting cash from players and agents to a national coaching framework. At present not even 1% of the EPL' s TV cash will support coaching children.

What the EPL and FA sustains v Spain and it's tens of thousands of kids coaches should be looked upon as a national disgrace.

Sadly BCFC are nearly balls deep in the mire themselves.

At least Van Persie sends some of his EPL loot on kids coaching back home in the Netherlands. A case there of looking after his own.

The only way football will change is if fans walk with their feet.

We sit and moan about how football is going, either down the pub. at work or through a forum, but we actually do **** all about it.

By 'feeding the monster', either by going to games or subscribing to Sky, it will only get worse.

It has now become a catch 22.

Take our own Club for example.

SL's dream is for us to be in a shiney new stadium, all corperate and comfy. To get to the Prem etc.

But do 'real football' fans want that. Would the majority of City fans we have now be prepared to pay £40 a game and up?

What is sad, is that if we did make the Prem, many fans we have now, wouldn't be able to afford to go,,, but would be easily replaced by a new set of fans that can, and enjoy the glory and glitz.

If change is ever to happen, then fans need to unite and stop going.

Preferably, i'd like the FA to take the game by the scruff of the neck and go down the German route.

However they won't because too many at the top make a bloody good living from the way it is.

Completely agree.

We had Coventry fans coming on here the other day asking us not to attend the match to show solidarity, but then we have our fans saying "all things aside, we're going to support Bristol City not Coventry".

Trouble is, there's always going to be fans who will willingly pay £59, £60, £100 a ticket, or constantly renew their Sky subscription, and whilst that happens the clubs (and those that be) will continue to do whatever they want.

Every League team should have a minimum of 6 English players in their starting line-up on a average over the season (to account for injuries). That would certainly give motivation to the likes of United, Cheslea, Manshity, Arsehall to produce some English talent. It would also solve the problem of Rooney, I think United would then have to include him and that will keep him fit for England.

For as long as sky pump the money in, this rule would never come into place.

Same issue when sky were investing heavily in Italian football. It went bust and now there are less big names and more quality Italians on a lower wage.

8 of the goals scored in the premier league last weekend were by English players, many more than any other nationality. It may be a case of the foreigners improving the English talent that we have, allowing them more opportunities to score goals by creating more options than some other english players would...

But that's just me playing devils advocate! :devil::devil::devil:

It's not just an English problem.

A few years ago the then German national manager requested that all Bundesliga teams must have a minimum of 2 Germans under the age of 21 on the pitch at all times. So if one needed to come off through injury, his replacement would also be an U21 German.

The idea was that all these young players would improve their skills and give a greater choice for the national team.

Needless to say, the clubs refused to cooperate.

Done some research. The avarege of the amount of English in all premier league first team squads is 1/3. The lowest being Arsenal with only 16% of the first team English. And the joint highest are Hull and Norwich with 48% of the first team squad English

It's not just an English problem.

A few years ago the then German national manager requested that all Bundesliga teams must have a minimum of 2 Germans under the age of 21 on the pitch at all times. So if one needed to come off through injury, his replacement would also be an U21 German.

The idea was that all these young players would improve their skills and give a greater choice for the national team.

Needless to say, the clubs refused to cooperate.

German club's can already have starting eleven who are home grown as for improving skills Germany has 27000 coaches England less than 2000. Same sort of thing v France Holland Spain.spot the difference in quality.

Archived