IGNORED

"mk Dons Our Benchmark" Sod Post Match

headhunter

I was at the game yesterday and upon returning home looked on You Tube to once again seeing the taciturn type of responses to questions from SOD that are starting to annoy me and perhaps others too.

What really got me was his comment that we should view MKD as our benchmark - have we really sunk this low?

MKD do not have the resources that we do (new stadium apart; dreadful place btw) yet their manager appears to have assembled a side that at least had some sort of game plan, well certainly more than we appeared to have!

We were so narrow at times and it became frustrating to see the amonut of space we gave them on both flanks on far to many occasions. People say Fontaine's confidence is shot, well I think the same should apply to Maloney - where was he for the second goal?

We lack leadership on the pitch as well as a physical presence. I think Flint would look a better player if the Carey of even 2-3 years ago was alongside him. I've said before that I think Cunningham is grossly overrated but for a young'un Williams is OK in my book.

A "midfield 4" of Wagstaff, Reid, Elliott and Bryan looks OK for this level but only Elliott is capable of putting a foot in although today he gave away 3-4 free kicks in dangerous territory that a more talented hard man would have done 15 yards further up the pitch. Elliott was our most experienced player yesterday but offered nothing as a leader of men. I'm not convinced by Wagstaffe - similar to Anderson in that he flatters to deceive. Bryan was OK lost to many 50/50s. Reid showed why he deserves more pitch time as a youngster with potential.

JET - not his best game but shows why Mad Mick will regret selling him and Baldock showed that given the chances he will score, although he miscontrolled the ball when well positioned late on when a presented with a chance to secure his hat trick.

The "encourage the players to make decisions" and other psychobabble that SOD comes out with does make a change from the usual managerial rhetoric we have to listen to but in 10 days time if we are out of 2 cup competitions and in the bottom four then even he should be facing up to the fact that this is a results business where "gaining something from the performance" is not enough - why can't he weave his Doncaster and Forest magic here!!!

Here we go. Things aren't changing yesterday, time to throw the baby out with the bath water. When describing MKD as a benchmark, SOD is clearly talking about the ethos of the club, building something long term from the bottom up. His problem is typified by your response, if doesn't happen immediately the knives are sharpened.

Here we go. Things aren't changing yesterday, time to throw the baby out with the bath water. When describing MKD as a benchmark, SOD is clearly talking about the ethos of the club, building something long term from the bottom up. His problem is typified by your response, if doesn't happen immediately the knives are sharpened.

Well said. Karl Robinson has been there a few seasons now and they have been up there or there abouts every year. As PSR said above, I's all about ethos and giving someone time to do their thing.

"Immediately" PSR! 5 wins in 23 games. OK, we threw the towel in about trying to avoid relegation with 10 games to go so the rebuild started 12 games ago and we have still to win a league game on this run.

The ethos of building on firm foundations is OK with but MKD haven't had the funds to rebuild a side at this level the way SOD has.

Yeah. Some fans just don't get what ODriscoll is trying to do but if they were to actually listen and understand his interviews they'd have a better grasp of his long term aims.

Yesterday was a good result away against a team who will undoubtedly be in the top 6 come March\April. That said ODriscoll is very aware of where he needs to strengthen but it's the same old story of getting players that are a) affordable b) better than what we have already c) the right age and d) want to come to AG.

"Have we sunk that low?" Er, yes. Fraid so. Things might well get worse, before they get better.

Beating those scuffers in the jpt would help, mind.

Forest? Donny? No two clubs are the same. It will not happen within the same time frames. But he has done it before. We have gone with an experienced manager with years in the tank still. It is still very early days.

But it might well get worse, before it gets....

"Immediately" PSR! 5 wins in 23 games. OK, we threw the towel in about trying to avoid relegation with 10 games to go so the rebuild started 12 games ago and we have still to win a league game on this run.

The ethos of building on firm foundations is OK with but MKD haven't had the funds to rebuild a side at this level the way SOD has.

We're building 'firm' foundations alright but those firm foundations seem to be being built on a swamp. The Gas ridden bottom tier of English football now beckons as 4 games in we've got 2 points from 12. We went through all this in 1981, still at least we're able to score goals - maybe we'll get over a 100 this season but the defence as it is may concede 120.

How long has the MK manager had to build his team? how long has our manager had??

Seriously, take a while to think about it.

Or are you actually unable to have a realistic view of things? What is it with the modern football fan, they want everything now,now,now.

A new manager needs time to build a side to play the way he wants to.

Or shall we just change our manager every 6 months, if he doesn't have instant success.

We're building 'firm' foundations alright but those firm foundations seem to be being built on a swamp. The Gas ridden bottom tier of English football now beckons as 4 games in we've got 2 points from 12. We went through all this in 1981, still at least we're able to score goals - maybe we'll get over a 100 this season but the defence as it is may concede 120.

Your comparing this to 1981???

Are you being serious.

Have to disagree with others on this thread.

Think the benchmark comment is to do with MK being an established team in this league who are pushing top 6 and won't lose many at home. He's saying there won't be many tougher away games than that, not that they are a club we are trying to emulate!

As frustrating as not winning every week is, a draw is a good result. I'm sure we'll get going soon and fully expect us to be pushing for play-offs as well.

Your comparing this to 1981???

Are you being serious.

Lurking in the background we've got £40 millions of debt and we're fielding a team of kids that - so far - haven't won in the third tier of English football. To me that's a 1981 scenario, this time around the club is owned by a $dollar billionaire and Steve Lansdown is the only real difference that I can see from now compared to 1981.

The ethos of building on firm foundations is OK with but MKD haven't had the funds to rebuild a side at this level the way SOD has.[/quote

Funds?

We had to halve the bleeding wage bill you clown.

Honestly, I need to stop coming on this forum. It angers me that we have as many inbreds as the gas.

As some people have already said, I think it's about setting foundations for a club, something that both Bristol clubs have spectacularly failed to do in recent times. At Rovers, I wish we had let first Holloway and then Trollope have more time, regardless of results, and I'm sure there is an argument that City should have stuck with GJ too.

Sadly, and I think internet forums have contributed to this, directors of clubs find it much harder to keep their nerve these days, and most of them have itchy trigger fingers.

In the- admittedly unlikely- event that we beat you in the JPT, I suspect there will be a few posts along the lines of 'enough is enough, get rid of SOD before it's too late, and while Rovers fans wouldn't be too hard on John Ward if we lose 2 or 3 nil, if it was right hammering there would be similar posts on the Rovers forums.

We've had to half the wage bill and we've still got massive earners on the books. I'm with you JT my head wants to explode sometimes with stuff on here. We couldn't be being told in more black and white what's happening but still it seems to go straight over so many people's heads yet no-one has any more sensible ideas to what they would do instead then spend again as if that had worked out so well for us recently.

me n Mrs Bucks were there yesterday. City made a very ordinary MK Mongs look good. Their passing game was streets ahead of our game. They passed, we didnt. They chased us down when we had the ball, we didnt. We hoofed it every chance, they didnt. Both of our goals, although well worked and taken came against the run of play at the time. Karl robinson was up on his feet shouting and organizing all game. Like Wonderson, SOD likes watching, rather than ranting. Even his asistant wasnt going mad, in contrast to Tinman (if it was him?) who was goin garrity on occasion. We could all see it wasnt working so why were the subs done so late (1 deep into injury time What the **** was the point of that??????????)

If this was an end of era Wonderson, or GJ, or Tinman, Millen or McInnes managed team, there would be mass posts on here calling for the head of...

I realise things have to be rebuilt, but yesterdays performance wasnt good despite only having one of the godawful underperforming team of recent years starting, and the other on t'bench, and seven new players.Anyone with illusions of promotion/pray offs should place them on hold tll next year, cos although good in spells, was much more reminiscent of last season. We really do have to get stuck in and prevent other teams from keeping possession...they will score if we dont, which was our problem yesterday, bar young Reid who was easily our best player, noone else was consistently doing this. Reid in contrast read things well, anticipated where players/ball were gonna be very well, and wasnt afraid to get stuck in.

If we have more like Reid, and Baldock who did very well n all, we'll be ok.

When describing MKD as a benchmark, SOD is clearly talking about the ethos of the club, building something long term from the bottom up.

+1

Performance yesterday showed some promise, we are still too narrow but it's a work in progress. JET had an off day, this will happen. Elliott had a better day; Reid did OK. I thought Bryan and Wagstaff were OK, Cunningham also. Moloney wasn't great. Didn't get the flak directed at Fielding.

We're in League One. Some fans seem to be forgetting that. MK will be around the play offs this season and have been stable League One under Robinson so a benchmark is exactly what they are

Thank you for that breath of rationality. Or, as they say - This.

Do people actually listen to SOD's interviews of just rant for the sake of it? He said they knew MK would have more possession than us so our main job yesterday was to stop them being fluid in the middle of the park. There was no point us trying to play them at their own passing game because they are a million times better at it than us at the moment and would've destroyed us.

Crap defending cost us again but if people listened to what he actually said before and after the game they wouldn't come on here moaning about how narrow we were, how they had more possession and how good their passing game was compared to ours. He's told us all this himself!

Bucks, the point of the late sub was to waste time and hold on to a point, which I'm sure you worked out for yourself ;)

As opposed to getting three points after we went 2-1 up.....woulda saved us hanging on during injury time :-0 Had figured this...

Have to disagree with others on this thread.

Think the benchmark comment is to do with MK being an established team in this league who are pushing top 6 and won't lose many at home. He's saying there won't be many tougher away games than that, not that they are a club we are trying to emulate!

As frustrating as not winning every week is, a draw is a good result. I'm sure we'll get going soon and fully expect us to be pushing for play-offs as well.

This Don's are regular playoff contenders in this league - so they make a good benchmark -

Most of our team have been together 8-12 weeks at best, they are still finding their feet, they are adapting to a specific football style, and still in the progress of a club in flux brushing out the old-replacing it with the new.

They will get better, I find it hard that people can argue against that. We have a hard cup game coming up that I doubt we will win, then away again to Gillingham (hopefully we can get a repeat performance against them). We will have a better sense of the team and how we will do when we have 10 game under our belts - but those running around screaming "FIRE" should really settle down, and stop being such drama queens.

There is going to be an awful lot of people with egg on their faces (including O'Driscoll), if teams like MK Dons and Bradford AREN'T in the top six come May.

It is one thing to preach that people must have patience because O'Driscoll is trying to build a team the "right way" (whatever that means), but professional football is, whether you like it or not, results driven.

One other observation begs the question - if MK Dons are our benchmark, what about teams like Posh and Orient?

O'Driscoll talks a good game and has all the rhetoric that makes us go "ooo" and "aaah", but the fact is, his teams thus far - particularly in defence - have been dreadful for at least 45 minutes, and no amount of "it'll come good in the end" will convince people that things are improving.

I agree with what we are trying to do. But I would add, as supporters, watching work in progress, as it is. Would you pay full price to watch a play with half the caste missing with major roles handed to duffers?

You can run this thought to almost everything. If we are being told that we are work in progress, and the majority agree with that, should prices drop to acknowledged this fact?

I know the argument will be, we have to pay or the work in progress will not be complete.

Archived