IGNORED

Whatever Happened To Those Heroes?

Eddie Hitler

There are at least a couple of names mentioned that are still here but under different names. Not fair really to give out those name changes unless they are asked if they don't mind..........otherwise no point changing their names is there?

I`m Spartacus......... .really :fear:

Pretty sure Rob Fernandez was at Uni when the original Net Centre was formed. Was the best ever City site IMHO. It's was never as good when moving to Rivals. Pretty sure that after Rob F graduated and started working that the demands from the teat of capitalism were too great on his time. Pretty sure a couple of other posters took over but it was never the same and eventually suffered from bit rot.

It's already been mentioned that red_hero was without fail the first to post after a loss. Negative beyond belief. Also I do remember lrjd well. Also Baldock_Red is a name I remember, Red_Goblin went through a period of bringing Cromwell into every discussion.

I reckon I probably produced no paid output for 3 or 4 months solid at one time because I was on the net centre constantly.

Happy Days.

Like Oliver Cromwell who had a liking for Prince Rupert I've got a liking for Prince William and Prince Harry. Remember that Oliver Cromwell along with Sir Thomas Fairfax and Thomas Rainsbrough helped protect Prince Rupert from the baying Bristolian mob that would have lynched the young Prince when the Royalists were defeated in Bristol in September 1645.

Like Oliver Cromwell who had a liking for Prince Rupert I've got a liking for Prince William and Prince Harry. Remember that Oliver Cromwell along with Sir Thomas Fairfax and Thomas Rainsbrough helped protect Prince Rupert from the baying Bristolian mob that would have lynched the young Prince when the Royalists were defeated in Bristol in September 1645.

I never knew Prince Rupert was a Gashead :o

The Net Centre was great in having decent content as well as a lively forum, I can't think of another City forum that has so well combined the two. All down to Rob's work. These days most sites have more admins and mods than you can shake a stick at but he did it all himself (I think), a lot of sites back then were one man (or woman) bands.

I missed the demise of the site as I moved and didn't bother to get the internet set up at my new place (it wasn't seen as the essential it is these days) for well over a year, and when I was online again it had gone :(

Rivals net was a great idea as it picked the best forum for each club (well before OTIB, subbers, Ziderheads) and joined them all together so you could pop over to any other team for a bit of chat without needing to do a separate registration. It was a real shame that it went.

Indeed, Net Centre was a superb website. I used to really enjoy contributing to and reading the conversations with the Gas and especially Millwall. Luton v Millwall 1985 (Fa Cup) and Millwall v Birmingham 2002 (play-offs) are now legendary for certain pre match and post match activities. In the context of how football actually started - with what became battles between rival villages and towns - Millwall have taken this quintessential English tradition into the 21st Century.

I never knew Prince Rupert was a Gashead :o

Prince Rupert broke into Bristol on the Gashead North side of Bristol during 1643, while the City South Bristol defences held firm. Prince Rupert was half German ( a Prince of the Rhine) so I'd have him down as being a Bayern Munich fan or a Dortmunder.

Indeed, Net Centre was a superb website. I used to really enjoy contributing to and reading the conversations with the Gas and especially Millwall. Luton v Millwall 1985 (Fa Cup) and Millwall v Birmingham 2002 (play-offs) are now legendary for certain pre match and post match activities. In the context of how football actually started - with what became battles between rival villages and towns - Millwall have taken this quintessential English tradition into the 21st Century.

That'll go right over Blueear's head :(

Well, I've been posting on boards since 96 or 97 and have seen a lot of people come and go, so here's my appreciation thread plus whatever happened to people who've disappeared. Any info or other tributes welcome.

Web pioneers:

Ron Fernandez: Bristolcitynet, then rivalsnet, then disappeared. The first genuine City web presence. Where is he now?

Cider Head: part of the "city casuals" web firm, still (intermittently ;-)) running subbers now ziderheads

Jer Boon - first humorous city website, did a lot of bike riding for charity

Kat - adabillahderturfup website, funny if a bit mental (the website, not her)

Ian Cole - lacking in humour, gashead, but pushed City & Rovers board, might still be about on the gas side

Poster mainstays:

Eddie Hitler - what a guy!

Red Goblin - still on here and ziderheads, previously blair_hater, one of the "city casuals"

Dollymarie - fun and lively, now remote mod presence on here, great in her heyday

Roving Weasel - a gashead but still makes the list, funny and clever, vanished

MaloneFM - good old Uncle Roger, always made me laugh, vanished

BarryMac - did see him pop up briefly recently, maverick mentalist

Neo - unstoppable, then stopped

Nibor - gone all serious these days but was one for banter, still on OTIB

Apologies to anybody who has been a enjoyable presence these last five years, that's a tad recent for me ;-)

The really clever poster on here - in my opinion - was BTR_FTG or some such moniker. What's happened to him/ her?

remember Phil Mitchel?

that's going back...

I remember that you were a mainstay of the BCFC Net centre and I think it was Henbury_gas that was really sick of my posts on the Gas Net centre site. The Gas were actually above us in the league with Jason Roberts and Jamie Cureton scoring for fun and I predicted they'd fall apart. :cool:

........the Gas relegation celebration. There were quite a few City in the Wycombe end of the Memorial Ground that memorable evening. :clapping:

I seem to remember Wycombe had a great cup run which messed up their league form, they had Senda and Guy ( I score hatfulls against any team that I wrote to but didn't buy me out of the army) Whittinham.

The gas were convinced they would win..

But no.

Ron Fernandez: Bristolcitynet, then rivalsnet, then disappeared. The first genuine City web presence. Where is he now?

I believe Rob is still around and using the original City Mailing List still (It exists on Yahoo somewhere these days)

The Netcentre however, was far from being the first City web presence. There were several websites that existed in one form or another in the nineties (I even tried running one for a while!), I think the main problem then was that there was hardly anybody around to look at them.

I have no idea of the address etc, but the first City website to exist that I know of was a text only effort that was run by a guy living in Geneva. It was certainly the only one I could find when I first got online circa 1994-5.

Rivals net was a great idea as it picked the best forum for each club (well before OTIB, subbers, Ziderheads) and joined them all together so you could pop over to any other team for a bit of chat without needing to do a separate registration. It was a real shame that it went.

Indeed, Rivals net was superb. When the BCFC Rivals was quiet you could go over and wind up the Gas - and get banned from there. :P I don't know if anyone else read the Millwall Rivals message board but they were really open about what they were getting up to.

I remember that you were a mainstay of the BCFC Net centre and I think it was Henbury_gas that was really sick of my posts on the Gas Net centre site. The Gas were actually above us in the league with Jason Roberts and Jamie Cureton scoring for fun and I predicted they'd fall apart. :cool:

T'was a good time, Cardiff were turning a corner, half way up the 4th division, the gas were gobbing on Holloway and we were singing... 'with a packet of sweets and a wobbly smile ......'s a ...... p........

Archived