IGNORED

Did I Just Hear Sod Right?

OneManMob

I have heard many people slag off Sod, Dmc, Millen etc and ask what is up with us ....are we cursed....the one constant is the angst temper booing of fans, which many have said is their right, but could Sod be actually be hitting the nail on the head. I have a work colleague who is a jack but has watched city Six times in the last two years and he thinks City fans are the most fickle he has seen. Got to be worth trying to be more positive surely

done it at Doncaster and Bournemouth as well as a good stint at forest. His Doncaster side were arguably the best passing side outside of the top flight at one point

Thats why the likes of Arsenal were willing to loan there players to Doncaster.

Wenger knew O'Driscoll would have them playing football the way they wanted there young talent to play.

He would turn us into a good side given time.

But unfortunately the same idiots are now lining up to drive him out.

I wouldn't blame him if he quit.

Then we can bring in another manager who will last 6 months until the same happens.

Looking at this thread the same old moaners are out and about.

They smell blood, they are lining up now ready for the kill.

And if you agree with any SOD you are dubbed the same, it divides opinion but the biting at each other is ridiculous.

We are morons, everyone of us anyway.

Sorry, I only see posters slating others when they criticize the "great one" in charge.

2 posters in this topic alone have called fellow city fans thick/stupid etc etc for not being quiet about the abysmal position we have been in for months.

That is pathetic, and the sheer arrogance of that beggers belief.

Thats why the likes of Arsenal were willing to loan there players to Doncaster.

Wenger knew O'Driscoll would have them playing football the way they wanted there young talent to play.

He would turn us into a good side given time.

But unfortunately the same idiots are now lining up to drive him out.

I wouldn't blame him if he quit.

Then we can bring in another manager who will last 6 months until the same happens.

Looking at this thread the same old moaners are out and about.

They smell blood, they are lining up now ready for the kill.

Genuine question as I do not know the answer off my head and you sound like you may, but JET aside were there many other Arsenal youngsters.

I'd also wonder did he have many top loanees at Notts F... Because here he's had time to bring in loanees, last season and the transfer window + 1 week but not really seen this...

I'm a fan of SO'D are am willing to stick with him for the long-term project. However, I do not understand his comments about blaming us for the players hoofing it, there aren't any groans when we're passing it about, at least not where I was sat. There were groans when we hoof it however, but that's certainly nothing to do with the fans. If the players and coaching staff can't accept the fans' frustration after going 16 league games without a win (yes, I know part of that run was last season's team but it's still a fact), and looking to offer absolutely nothing going forward against Shrewbury after a good 60 minutes of play, they're quite simply in the wrong job. Booing is bad, but to groan when we keep repeating the same mistakes time and time again is expected.

Like I say, I am a fan of SO'D, but these comments baffle me. How much patience is he expecting from the majority baring in mind may football fans are fickle? Wolves were booed off the pitch tonight after their first loss of the season, sitting 2nd in the league. City have been terrible for over three seasons now, our fan base has been fairly patient if you ask me.

I hope SO'D stays until at least the end of the season, but comments like this will only irritate fans and give those on his back more of a justifiable reason to do so.

I'm a fan of SO'D are am willing to stick with him for the long-term project. However, I do not understand his comments about blaming us for the players hoofing it, there aren't any groans when we're passing it about, at least not where I was sat. There were groans when we hoof it however, but that's certainly nothing to do with the fans. If the players and coaching staff can't accept the fans' frustration after going 16 league games without a win (yes, I know part of that run was last season's team but it's still a fact), and looking to offer absolutely nothing going forward against Shrewbury after a good 60 minutes of play, they're quite simply in the wrong job. Booing is bad, but to groan when we keep repeating the same mistakes time and time again is expected.

Like I say, I am a fan of SO'D, but these comments baffle me. How much patience is he expecting from the majority baring in mind may football fans are fickle? Wolves were booed off the pitch tonight after their first loss of the season, sitting 2nd in the league. City have been terrible for over three seasons now, our fan base has been fairly patient if you ask me.

I hope SO'D stays until at least the end of the season, but comments like this will only irritate fans and give those on his back more of a justifiable reason to do so.

Exactly. Cracks me up how we are supposed to be impatient. Jesus we havent won a league game for ages.

He's right. Bristol City fans are the thickest bunch of muppets I've ever met.

No wonder we've never been successful with fans like ours.

Yes, lets boo our keeper just as he's about to kick the ball!!! You utter morons

Agree.

SOD has a point to be honest. Fans moan when we hoof it but then when we keep it everyone urges it to be pumped up top. Can't win with some idiots.

You need it spelling out?

Okay

1. 6 years at Bournemouth, including promotion. Got them playing football. Had no money to spend

2. Went to Doncaster. In his first season he won the LDV. Second season got them promoted to the Championship

3. In the Championship he finished mid table in his first season. Again with limited funds. Turned Doncaster into a mid table team for next 2 seasons with little money. Eventually it didn't work out for him after a lot of injuries dissipated is team.

4. Went to Forest and had to sign a brand new squad. Unlucky to be sacked and fans liked him

5. Joined Bristol City and had to completely change the squad and cut wage bill by over 50%. Club decided to go down the youth route and average age of team is less than 24. Despite that SOD is installing a passing philosophy which will take time

WILL TAKE TIME....read it slowly. Not 7 games. Serious time.

You could add to that.

1. Got Bournemouth promoted from division 4 in his third season - having got them relegated from division 3 in his second season.

2, Scraped into play-offs on goal difference in second season at Doncaster and got lucky in the final against Leeds.

3. Having inherited a brand new stadium and a decent team built by Sean Penny, O'Driscoll kept up the good work for a couple more seasons and, no doubt helped by major benefactor John Ryan, was able to bring in several notable players including record signing Billy Sharp. However, in his 4th season Doncaster narrowly avoided relegation and SOD was sacked not long afterwards.

Despite tonights pathetic first half display (vast improvement second half) I do not want SOD sacked however I still do not get what the success story is supposed to be. Bournemouth was neutral and Doncaster were on a roll and he finished it off until it was starting to go badly wrong. The record prior to here is not as good as the hype.

He definitely has a chip on his shoulder. The first 2 things to come out of his mouth were;

- There is a tension among the fans and it effects the players ability

- They are just waiting for us to fail

Or something along those lines.

Ridiculous to blame us from kick off!

All we're waiting for is a win Sean, been 16 games in the league...

City would play better behind closed doors at the moment. Our fans are a joke and an embarrassment to the club, the City and themselves. It breaks my heart to say it, but it's true.

Ever since May 2008 we've been deluded and ridiculously demanding on whoever has been unfortunate enough to be in charge, on the back of 1 season of near-success. I'm an armchair fan from now on, I can't stand the abuse, ignorance, violence and arrogance any more. For our young team to have to play in that venomous atmosphere every other week must be soul destroying, and most of the abuse comes from fat, middle aged thugs who should know better.

There has been a bad seed at City for a long time, and it hasn't been the managers, the chairmen or the players.

We don't deserve anything, let alone success.

City would play better behind closed doors at the moment. Our fans are a joke and an embarrassment to the club, the City and themselves. It breaks my heart to say it, but it's true.

Ever since May 2008 we've been deluded and ridiculously demanding on whoever has been unfortunate enough to be in charge, on the back of 1 season of near-success. I'm an armchair fan from now on, I can't stand the abuse, ignorance, violence and arrogance any more. For our young team to have to play in that venomous atmosphere every other week must be soul destroying, and most of the abuse comes from fat, middle aged thugs who should know better.

There has been a bad seed at City for a long time, and it hasn't been the managers, the chairmen or the players.

Venemous atmosphere? I guess you weren't there tonight then? Some moaning and groaning but certainly not venemous.

Genuine question as I do not know the answer off my head and you sound like you may, but JET aside were there many other Arsenal youngsters.

I'd also wonder did he have many top loanees at Notts F... Because here he's had time to bring in loanees, last season and the transfer window + 1 week but not really seen this...

Genuine answer, I don't know!

All I can remember is that Arsenal would only loan there players to teams and managers who played the "right way".

Please what young team is this?

FFS!!! The fans did not sign the players, pick the team, select the 'tactics'. The manager did.The fans also did not waste £50M taking the club NOWHERE!!! Steve Lansdown did. If the atmosphere is shite, perhaps the fayre on offer may be to blame, not the short-changed punters.

Getting the fans to turn on each other is not dissimilar to how politicians survive, by the divide and rule principle. The club has been on the slide for 5 years, but attendances have been pretty decent despite the results. That says more about the fans than any west midlands mumbling could..........

The movement was ******* shambolic, our players had little options going forward so had to play backwards. Massively need to improve on movement off the ball, otherwise we'll get nowhere. Also with Pack and Elliot in CM they both sat quite deep and didn't run at the opposition, something that Reid did when he came on. It's clear to see that when we tried to play long it didn't work, the passing game should work if we had decent movement to give the player on the ball options.

Thank you finally someone who understands football.

Million percent correct.

I think tonight in his interview he was at a complete loss to explain what the hell is going wrong. Worse still even after all the change that has gone on I genuinely don't think he thought for one minute this would happen. Perhaps it's a bigger job than he realised?

As for the pop at the fans he worded it wrong but he has a point to a degree. Some moan if we keep it, then went us to hoof it only to moan when we do it. Can't win with some people.

JET was poor tonight but I don't think he was one of the main culprits. For instance his captain let him down....I rate Baldock highly and believe he can score 20 easy at L1 but right now he's not showing the fight of a skipper. Granted I know he's not the type of player to run through brick walls but his lack of bravery sometimes results in chances going a miss and play breaking down. He needs to battle more.

Venemous atmosphere? I guess you weren't there tonight then? Some moaning and groaning but certainly not venemous.

I was. Booing them off at HT was right out of order. If they weren't putting in the effort, I'd be the first to give them a hard time, bit they manifestly were. Some fans need to grow up, and not just the youngsters!

I think tonight in his interview he was at a complete loss to explain what the hell is going wrong. Worse still even after all the change that has gone on I genuinely don't think he thought for one minute this would happen. Perhaps it's a bigger job than he realised?

As for the pop at the fans he worded it wrong but he has a point to a degree. Some moan if we keep it, then went us to hoof it only to moan when we do it. Can't win with some people.

JET was poor tonight but I don't think he was one of the main culprits. For instance his captain let him down....I rate Baldock highly and believe he can score 20 easy at L1 but right now he's not showing the fight of a skipper. Granted I know he's not the type of player to run through brick walls but his lack of bravery sometimes results in chances going a miss and play breaking down. He needs to battle more.

He shouldn't be TBH. He's said all along he wants to play posession based football, we didn't do that tonight. His explanation should be simple. The players didn't play as instructed.

Or perhaps they did?

and there are white and pink elephants in the room.

Actually no there were white or pink elephants, he wasn't sure which.

It was also the case that the players were confused because sometimes the fans wanted them to go long and other times they wanted it played short.

Furthermore he couldn't start Bobby Reid because he doesn't guarantee to play well every game.

Keeping JET on despite the fact he was shit prior to the goal was a master stroke because most other managers would have brought him off.

We played lots of good passes but the nerves of the crowd got to the players.

He cant do anything about the "zero in the wins column" but he can teach the players how to play.

The players are young and don't know how to play yet.

I invite anyone to play back the entire BBC Radio Bristol interview and tell me any of the above is not an accurate sample of some of SOD's comments - the ones I can remember anyway.

I was. Booing them off at HT was right out of order. If they weren't putting in the effort, I'd be the first to give them a hard time, bit they manifestly were. Some fans need to grow up, and not just the youngsters!

I heard a few boos, but I'd hardly call it venemous. Compare that to some of the greif Osman and Pulis got, I'm surprised either of them can leave the house!

It's not. Ask Russell Osman or Tony Pulis about a venemous atmosphere at Ashton Gate. This lot don't know they're ******* born.

Actually Glyn I agree with you on that one. Although there were a few boos and a few unsavoury words directed at the players and O'Driscoll as they left the pitch on half time, this would be seen as nothing more than a lovers tiff compared to what Osman and Penis had, I remember Osman had the fans chanting for the ref to send him off after one bad tackle, the crowd are like mummies boys compared to years gone by.

Thought there were too many 'fans' getting on Fieldings back.

Also mentioned during the game about how many tossers are so negative and won't help the players' confidence.

Unfortunately it'll happen at any stadium, but the pressures are different. Ours are higher as too many fans think we'll pull off an 'expected' win.

I'm sure the players would rather have 5000 positive fans instead of 1000 out of 10000 being negative.

Same for me. Finance aside, I'd rather support was supportive, not so critical - it's a big part of morale. Morale being more important than ability.

Actually Glyn I agree with you on that one. Although there were a few boos and a few unsavoury words directed at the players and O'Driscoll as they left the pitch on half time, this would be seen as nothing more than a lovers tiff compared to what Osman and Penis had, I remember Osman had the fans chanting for the ref to send him off after one bad tackle, the crowd are like mummies boys compared to years gone by.

Tell me about it! I was in the EastEnd that day and that was a venemous atmosphere. But that was when the EE was proper*

* Tin hat on!!

Archived