IGNORED

Did I Just Hear Sod Right?

OneManMob

FFS did you see it or are you just counting the goals?

?????????

were you watching a different game to me?

2 very poor teams 1 very poor game.

I am not calling for anyones head, I just did not enjoy the game tonight and to think that it might well get worse before it gets better is a worry.

I am a season ticket holder and have been for 20 years,.

The atmosphere was awful the booing was awful and i don't like the division with pro and anti SOD camps.

So i will say again, for all this to get worse before it gets better is a worry.

So where the counting goals bit comes into it I am not sure.

I think tonight in his interview he was at a complete loss to explain what the hell is going wrong. Worse still even after all the change that has gone on I genuinely don't think he thought for one minute this would happen. Perhaps it's a bigger job than he realised?

As for the pop at the fans he worded it wrong but he has a point to a degree. Some moan if we keep it, then went us to hoof it only to moan when we do it. Can't win with some people.

JET was poor tonight but I don't think he was one of the main culprits. For instance his captain let him down....I rate Baldock highly and believe he can score 20 easy at L1 but right now he's not showing the fight of a skipper. Granted I know he's not the type of player to run through brick walls but his lack of bravery sometimes results in chances going a miss and play breaking down. He needs to battle more.

This keeps being brought up and I don't get it how people can keep acting as if this is the only reason for the moans. Has anyone even considered that the moans are because we are missing the third option, which is trying to be a bit more positive and attempting to pass through the midfield?

It's all very well playing twenty passes across the back four, but if that still ends in a hoof, why is that any better than just hoofing it in the first place? I was expecting SO'D's passing style to extend a bit further upfield than across our own box and I reckon that's the reason for the fan's impatience and if SO'D can't see that, he's not as perceptive as I expected.

Of course this style of football will take time to develop, but if we were trying it and failing I could understand, but the problem is, we're rarely even trying. How much longer can we persist in lumping the high ball to Baldock before realising we may as well just hand the ball straight to the opposition and cut out the middle man!

My understanding of possession football was built around the notion that you actually try to make it difficult for the opposition to get the ball off you, rather than around half of the balls out of our defence getting pumped straight to their opposing counterparts. Looking at this tactic in terms of percentages, we're losing possession far more than retaining it.

2, Scraped into play-offs on goal difference in second season at Doncaster and got lucky in the final against Leeds.

Not that it is particularly relevant to our situation, but Doncaster finished third the year they won the play-offs and if I remember correctly they dropped out of automatic on the last day of the season after losing at Whaddon Road.

Cant argue with that either. Oh boy this is gonna be fun for months to come with the Pro and Anti S'OD fans.. lets hope we can start winning very soon.

Just out of interest to the supporters who don't want SO'D here who would you want as manager? I seen Uncle Colin mentioned, I wouldn't welcome that appointment myself but hey.

Someone with a bit of charisma would be nice. SOD has the energy and passion of a garden gnome

I think people read into words what they want to hear. If you’re a Labour voter and you hear a Tory politician speak you hone in on the negatives. I think some people like to sharpen knives for SOD. I always remember the disgraceful way that Leicester fans treated Martin O’Neill when he arrived there due to his Forest links and after going on to deliver the most successful period in Leicester’s history they were then outraged by his disloyalty when he eventually moved on. Sometimes what goes around comes around. If too many of us are dead set on berating the guy every time he speaks we shouldn’t expect loyalty from him if he turns us into a successful football team.

I think SOD has the potential to be a great manager of our Club and I hear and read his words from that perspective. I didn’t hear him “blame” supporters at all. Explaining how he felt his players were affected by the crowd is different to saying the crowd is then to blame for how players react to it. My memory of his interview was that he said he understood how the crowd was feeling, that crowds around the country would react similarly to such a long run without a league win and that he was pleased with the way the crowd stuck with the team.

Tonight’s team may not have been as young as Saturday’s but of the starting 11 only two have regular experience at Ashton Gate. No manager should be criticised for not yet knowing his best XI within such a short period. It is depressing that such a change in personnel, tactics and culture will take time but we probably all agree that a change was needed. At least unlike Tony Pulis he’s not asking for three years to turn it around. Whether you’ve warmed to him or not seven league games is no time to judge whether the rebuilding process is in safe hands although personally I’ve seen flashes of a team this season (Palace, Rovers and arguably the team tonight after Bobby Reid came on) that can pass a ball better than the vast majority of City teams in my 30+ years of watching.

I haven't heard SO'D's interview tonight, but if he has had another little dig at the fans then he really is becoming a bit difficult to defend on the matter.

Football, like most things in the world, is something that attracts a broad view of opinions. Are some of these opinions likely to be nonsense? Of course. Are our fans any more likely to offer up simplistic and uneducated views than any other club in the world? No, of course not. For me the vast majority understand that this season is going to be difficult, patience is required and are behind SO'D in rebuilding the team. But the fact remains that we haven't seen our team win a league game since March the ******* 9th. In the real world you have to expect some restlessness.

As for the issue in hand, in both of our last games we have seemed happy to pass the ball amongst the defenders and goalkeeper then after a while hoof it forward in the hope that JET becomes an old fashioned number 9. In no way is that good football. Tonight Flint and Williams, for the same reasons that McCombe/Fontaine/Nyatanga/McManus/Wilson etc, for me hoofed the forward as a result of a lack of movement in our midfield rather than the players in question actually wanting to smash the ball up field. Funnily enough we in the stand cannot coach our midfield to offer passing options to the defence so I struggle to see how it our fault. Towards the end of Danny Wilson's reign here we, at times, liked to play a rather controlled, and to be brutally honest boring, style of play that involved us controlling the possession in games by keeping possession in our back 4, but in the last two games we haven't even managed that. O'Connor to Flint, Flint to Williams, Williams to Shorey, Shorey back to Williams, Williams smashes it up the pitch is poor football. That surely cannot be argued with. Lets not pretend that the two ways to play a game are either the back four passes it around amongst themselves or they send it hopelessly up the pitch.

I wanted O'Driscoll here a long time before he got the job and I actually remain quietly confident he is the man to take us forwards, but he really isn't helping himself with what seem to be little digs at the crowd. I felt the booing at half time was unfair, but it was long way away from being the majority and it was hardly the worst you will ever hear at a football ground. I usually find him extremely interesting in interview and I admire the fact he is happy to speak honestly and doesn't want to patronise supporters, but come on Sean. The small minority of the fan base beginning to criticise is a long way away from being the worst thing about City right now.

I did laugh when he said that as I said he would come up with an excuse and gloss over how shite the first half was. The problem is we knock the ball about the back four amazingly well under no pressure but in the final third we can't keep hold of it for shit or look threating for long enough peroids and if we do get the ball in the box from wide postions we never seem to have anyone in the right areas to get on the end of them.

Also why was Pack played so deep tonight he is one of the only players we have that can pass a ball and hardly got forward all night. If we Didn't have JET I dread to think where we would be. There's only one person paid to get the best out of the players and blaming the fans is pretty much a joke he should be taking the blame not passing the buck and taking the easy way out.

To galvanise fans, to create an identity, to create a backbone, to create atmosphere, to raise profile, to get us playing decent football, someone who would love the job (I'd imagine), someone who understands pressure, someone who connects with fans...

I detest the bloke as opposition and think he's a complete COLIN, but I'd bloody love (for now) Neil Warnock in the dug out.

I'd also have liked Colin. I'd also be happy to ditch the "doing a Swansea" project. Every year 10 football league clubs get promoted and are successful. Most don't do it the Swansea way. In fact only Swansea have. Best team I've seen pass us in recent years was Wigan - before Martinez. Two solid banks of 4, very organised, pace and strength up front. Nice and simple positive football, everyone knew their role. That's what I'd like to watch.

I did laugh when he said that as I said he would come up with an excuse and gloss over how shite the first half was. The problem is we knock the ball about the back four amazingly well under no pressure but in the final third we can't keep hold of it for shit or look threating for long enough peroids and if we do get the ball in the box from wide postions we never seem to have anyone in the right areas to get on the end of them.

Also why was Pack played so deep tonight he is one of the only players we have that can pass a ball and hardly got forward all night. If we Didn't have JET I dread to think where we would be. There's only one person paid to get the best out of the players and blaming the fans is pretty much a joke he should be taking the blame not passing the buck and taking the easy way out.

and begs the question if our fans are too blame for our home form, who is to blame for our away form?.

He's right, never heard such hypocritical drivel from some assholes in the Dolman.

One group sat next to me were very vocal until we scored, then left before FT.

Was shite today, but he's completely right to say that supporters are thick as pig shit and do very little when our backs are against the wall other than take the piss out of our own team.

The sarcastic cheer following our first shot on target summed it up.

Self deprication just comes across as negative and counter productive at a football game where they needed a sign of support or help.

But, you pay your money so why bother lifting your heads from the sand, just abuse and enjoy that it's your right to do so...

Also had something similar to me in the dolman, 2 people sat behind me and came out with a criticisms every minute or so, even when jet scored there was criticism of the goal, it was ridiculou

Thank you SO'D for addressing this element of our 'supporters' - it's about time.

The arrogance that is displayed by these people makes you question their behaviour outside of AG - who or what becomes their punchbag there?

They throw abuse at the club manager and players on a regular basis and then throw their dummies out of the pram when SO'D asks for tolerance and respect. But then - we know these words do not exist in their culture.

I would be happy for the club to lose the bully-boy element - AG would be a much better place without them.

Sadly - what will actually happen is that they will continue hounding out people from the club - and then project the blame onto anything or anyone except themselves.

Here's to SO'D continuing the rebuild and for those who don't like it I suggest following the Pool league in your local boozers to satisfy your need for turnaround brevity.

I fail to realise is how SOD cannot see that playing a long ball to a striker of 5 ft 7 is nothing short of a waste of Sam's time. How frustrating to have a skillful , pacey striker with good feet and a powerful shot go COMPLETELY wasted he must wonder what hes doing at BCFC. We play with little to no width at all times so our full backs come out with intent but 15 yards later have no pass on and have to resort to side ways and then back wards. Joe Bryan is our only player that wants to go forward and actually pressurise defences and deliver a cross. We have a reasonable midfield why don't we actually use them short 5 yard passes EASY football, there is no need to resort to trying Beckhamesk 40 yarders that rarely find there target. Shewsbury a town of 82,000 (the same as Bath) footballing minnows, they looked organised they looked determined , sharp going forward , lethal on the break . These are not world class players many as young and inexperienced as our own , They are not Real Madrid but for some reason when teams come to AG that is what we make them look like.

I cannot understand how our management do not see these points when we are playing basic skills that we don't use. It wasn't until very late in the game that panic set in and SOD changed the shape of the side, and what did he do ........... put two strikers up front one with muscle and power to win the ball for Sam , go three at the back and five in midfield with Bobby Reid. Then and only then did we look like a side capable of scoring , i felt more confident we could do something with that shape and personnel then at any point during the game, shame it was for 12 Min's.

I would be delighted if he would start with a team set up to be capable of attacking sharp football with the definite potential of competing in all areas of the park with the side that finished last night ( with the exception of Joe Bryan , still don't know why he was subbed in injury time) we can do that. Please Please Please think about this for Swindon, we might stand a chance.

i wait with bated breath for Saturdays Personnel and formation. C O Y R.

He's right. Bristol City fans are the thickest bunch of muppets I've ever met.

No wonder we've never been successful with fans like ours.

Yes, lets boo our keeper just as he's about to kick the ball!!! You utter morons

Hard not to agree with this.

We do have some very thick fans.

I love my Club, but sometimes a minority of our fans are just embarrassing.

Sorry to have to say it, but it is the truth.

We have mongs within our support...

He shouldn't be TBH. He's said all along he wants to play posession based football, we didn't do that tonight. His explanation should be simple. The players didn't play as instructed.

Or perhaps they did?

Ermmm... we had 68% possession.

But i'd agree, I don't think the players played as they were instructed.

SoD was constantly telling and asking for movement.

As for the long ball over the top... I saw Flint especially react to boos when he had the ball... and just hoof it instead of passing again... so SoD has a point about fans making players react.

The biggest problem was, that the back 4 kept playing it across the back looking for an opening or movement to make a pass.

Baldock or Jet often just stood their... Baldock in particular was using his body language just off the last defender asking for a ball over the top. Neither came to 'collect' the ball.

Pack tried to pick the ball deep, but again found no one to pass too.

On one occasion Bryan had the ball to cross and Baldock and Harewood were just gently jogging into the 18 yard box both with defenders on them... neither attempted to move diagonally to front or near post or switch.

Our front two last night were our weakest link imho.

Ermmm... we had 68% possession.

But i'd agree, I don't think the players played as they were instructed.

SoD was constantly telling and asking for movement.

As for the long ball over the top... I saw Flint especially react to boos when he had the ball... and just hoof it instead of passing again... so SoD has a point about fans making players react.

The biggest problem was, that the back 4 kept playing it across the back looking for an opening or movement to make a pass.

Baldock or Jet often just stood their... Baldock in particular was using his body language just off the last defender asking for a ball over the top. Neither came to 'collect' the ball.

Pack tried to pick the ball deep, but again found no one to pass too.

On one occasion Bryan had the ball to cross and Baldock and Harewood were just gently jogging into the 18 yard box both with defenders on them... neither attempted to move diagonally to front or near post or switch.

Our front two last night were our weakest link imho.

60% of that was probably when the ball was at The Monk's feet.

I don't know much about Shrewsbury and perhaps I should offer them an apology as I expected them to play like we did last night, hoofball, with no plan b. They were much better than us at times, better organised and passing it, playing like a team.

I'm sorry SoD, I've had patience with you, and still do. But a little bit of respect went last night to hear you deflecting the teams failings back onto the fans. Again, just like the Gas game it was the minority, yet we all seem to get tarred with the same brush. Yes there were some moans, but I think it's out of frustration as we all know the team can play a hell of a lot better than they did last night. Yes whilst we were on top and looking for the killer goal to snatch the game we didn't want to see Fielding walk the ball upfield like he had all the time in the world. Fair enough if he could kick with pin point accuracy, take time to pick out the pass but half the time he, and his fellow defenders, can't even get within 10 yards of finding a team mate! So if you are going to hit and hope bloody well get on with it!

I'm sure no one is booing the young lads, we've waited to see them long enough haven't we. As a team though they have to be able to motivate themselves for games like last nights, not just turn it on when playing the Gas in a local derby.

done it at Doncaster and Bournemouth as well as a good stint at forest. His Doncaster side were arguably the best passing side outside of the top flight at one point

The past is gone and means F all.

The people who are venting on here are talking about the present.

A long while back City were playing in the top flight - so what? That's gone.

Thank you SO'D for addressing this element of our 'supporters' - it's about time.

The arrogance that is displayed by these people makes you question their behaviour outside of AG - who or what becomes their punchbag there?

They throw abuse at the club manager and players on a regular basis and then throw their dummies out of the pram when SO'D asks for tolerance and respect. But then - we know these words do not exist in their culture.

I would be happy for the club to lose the bully-boy element - AG would be a much better place without them.

Sadly - what will actually happen is that they will continue hounding out people from the club - and then project the blame onto anything or anyone except themselves.

Here's to SO'D continuing the rebuild and for those who don't like it I suggest following the Pool league in your local boozers to satisfy your need for turnaround brevity.

I was just about to congratulate redeye on a sensible and measured post, but his Tourette-like hatred of pubs had to burst forth. Get some treatment, man! You obviously need it :(

SOD is a very clever man - he has achieved his sole intention by the comments that appear to annoy fans, which is simply take the focus away the young team he is trying to build and therefore the associated pressure on them, and put all that pressure on him, his comments have acheived that. Very clever management style

I don't know much about Shrewsbury and perhaps I should offer them an apology as I expected them to play like we did last night, hoofball, with no plan b. They were much better than us at times, better organised and passing it, playing like a team.

I'm sorry SoD, I've had patience with you, and still do. But a little bit of respect went last night to hear you deflecting the teams failings back onto the fans. Again, just like the Gas game it was the minority, yet we all seem to get tarred with the same brush. Yes there were some moans, but I think it's out of frustration as we all know the team can play a hell of a lot better than they did last night. Yes whilst we were on top and looking for the killer goal to snatch the game we didn't want to see Fielding walk the ball upfield like he had all the time in the world. Fair enough if he could kick with pin point accuracy, take time to pick out the pass but half the time he, and his fellow defenders, can't even get within 10 yards of finding a team mate! So if you are going to hit and hope bloody well get on with it!

I'm sure no one is booing the young lads, we've waited to see them long enough haven't we. As a team though they have to be able to motivate themselves for games like last nights, not just turn it on when playing the Gas in a local derby.

I listened to him on Radio Bristol this morning and he was complimentary about the fans, well the ones that didn't boo. Obviously must have been a different interview ?

To galvanise fans, to create an identity, to create a backbone, to create atmosphere, to raise profile, to get us playing decent football, someone who would love the job (I'd imagine), someone who understands pressure, someone who connects with fans...

I detest the bloke as opposition and think he's a complete COLIN, but I'd bloody love (for now) Neil Warnock in the dug out.

Posts like this are the reason we are in the shite.

Kindly qualify the following terms within the context of the Head Coach role.

1) Galvanise fans? - Is this up to the Coach?

2) Create an Identity? - We have an Identity, BCFC

3) Create a backbone? - Errrr?

4) Create an atmosphere - The Coach is now the MC as well?

5) Raise the profile? - The Coach is now also the Marketing Manager

6) I give up now.

Seriously - no offence mate but you have NO IDEA what SOD's actual mandate is at all!

I listened to him on Radio Bristol this morning and he was complimentary about the fans, well the ones that didn't boo. Obviously must have been a different interview ?

Don't know if different interview but certainly last night he did say that the fans stuck with the team. Which for the most part, they did.

He also said the players were confused by the fans, which Milo has pointed out in an earlier post is not the same as criticising the fans. He talks about the fans a lot - so did Gary Johnson. Why not, we are an integral part of the occasion.

I believe in what he is trying to do, I just don't think its quite the revolution that so many think it is - we've had plenty of passing teams and plenty of young teams over the years and sometimes both at the same time and occasionally they have even been decent as well - and furthermore I don't have the same faith that so many have that it will all come good. That said, don't know about anyone else but my judgment is probably clouded by the track record of managerial appointments in general over the past few years - the current regime have cocked up so many times what evidence is there to show they've picked a good'un this time around.

To be fair although his interviewing style is dour with a few Cantona-esque comments thrown in, he is likeable and more to the point here's hoping he proves the majority right and me and a few others wrong.

Archived