IGNORED

Colchester 5 Or 6

dilligaf

i think he's right. A lot of people were expecting us to beat Shrewsbury comfortably so why is Colchester any different?

5 or 6 is a bit OTT but he's right in the fact that a lot of fans think we have some sort of given right to beat the Colchester's/ Port Vale's/Carlisle's of the league

i'll tell you what see if you can find anybody willing to actually say that we should be winning by 5 or 6, it's just more paranoid crap from a manager who likes to get his excuses in early.

What he should be saying is BCFC fans would i'm sure take any win at the moment.

and as for describing SOD's remark as tongue in cheek, my arse.

Im sorry we have a significantly higher wage bill than the likes of shrewsbury and colchester have invested in the summer in good championshiop players and to be honest i would suggest the vast majority while not calling for SOD's head expect much much more from this squad at the moment.

Thing is MC Risk, you've hit the nail on the head with the above comment.

Shrewsbury's wage bill last year was £2.5m

That means they are forking roughly £48,000 per week.

To put this in context, we are paying 6 players about £35,000 per week (at least 4 of which we don't even want!)

So, to state as fact that we have a higher wage bill than Shrewsbury is very true, but we're not spending it wisely at the moment due to multiple high earners who are still in contract. As has always been said, there will be a hell of a lot more freedom in the wage bill in July 2014.

Also, you mention that we've invested in the summer in good championship players.

We've signed 12. 6 of which have never played in the Championship. 2 of which have been there but not played much. 1 of which is JET who is an enigma. The other 3 are all short term deals to temporarily fill holes which will not be costing very much.

What we've signed in the main are young players who we think can step up to the Championship.

Anyways, this thread is absolute bollux. It's a simple figure of speech which I'm sure we've all used in a similar vein at some point in time. He didn't ACTUALLY mean that he thought there were some of us who ACTUALLY think we should win 5 or 6 nil. Jeez people, chill. There's nothing to see here.

Thing is MC Risk, you've hit the nail on the head with the above comment.

Shrewsbury's wage bill last year was £2.5m

That means they are forking roughly £48,000 per week.

To put this in context, we are paying 6 players about £35,000 per week (at least 4 of which we don't even want!)

So, to state as fact that we have a higher wage bill than Shrewsbury is very true, but we're not spending it wisely at the moment due to multiple high earners who are still in contract. As has always been said, there will be a hell of a lot more freedom in the wage bill in July 2014.

Also, you mention that we've invested in the summer in good championship players.

We've signed 12. 6 of which have never played in the Championship. 2 of which have been there but not played much. 1 of which is JET who is an enigma. The other 3 are all short term deals to temporarily fill holes which will not be costing very much.

What we've signed in the main are young players who we think can step up to the Championship.

Anyways, this thread is absolute bollux. It's a simple figure of speech which I'm sure we've all used in a similar vein at some point in time. He didn't ACTUALLY mean that he thought there were some of us who ACTUALLY think we should win 5 or 6 nil. Jeez people, chill. There's nothing to see here.

Harry the point is coming on the back of great performance at Southampton and pretty universal praise, he has to have yet another dig at the fans, the bollox is coming from him, he is beginning to get his excuses in earlier and earlier.

Also judging from what you are saying from july 2014 he will have another load of excuses then after replacing even more players.

Suppose this is a typical OTIB thread, lets slag off and be negative about what SOD said without listening to the full interview (bit like the negative posts from people not at the game!) and maybe we can influence a few others with a myopic view.

If you listen to the full interview you will understand that his comment was about some fans expectation's that BCFC are a big city club should be beating Colchester by 5 or 6, but as a team we are not there yet.

We are a team in a massive transition, he has moved out all the sh1t that fans have been moaning about and took us down, loaned out Fontaine and Wilson and left out Kilkenny, but still the wingers are not prepared to give time for a new set of players to become a team.

Like it or not, this is a long overdue road we had to go down, that will be a painful journey and trying to twist soundbites against the manager in some attempt to oust him, will not help.

May I ask who brought "all that sh1t" here in the first place? and who brought that person(s) here ? and finally who is running the show............still.

Answer is; THE ENGINE DRIVER who seems to make many errors, goes down completely the wrong track, several times and dispite promises of taking us to where we want to go and ends up lost and beaten on an Island.

We are not a team in massive transition, we are leaderless and lost not just the team but the whole club. :sad26:

What if he said I hope we beat colchester but a draw wouldn't be a disaster.he'd probably get a verbal pistol whipping on here for being too negative.

Actually adjust it slightly to I hope we win but a clean sheet would be good at the moment, there you go honesty and acceptable IMO, perhaps at this moment in time he should say nothing.

I think the problem is his personalty.

I'll be frank. I don't like the man.

If he was a regular at my local, I'd avoid him like the plague.

He's a whinger, a whiner, he's condescending and patronising to the people who pay his wages, he's dour, downbeat and uninspiring, and he's so, so, so ultra-defensive that he feels he has to set up his excuses before anything's happened. And of course any mishap won't ever be his fault.

HOWEVER

All that doesn't mean he's a bad manager.

Ferguson, Clough, Mourinho, Beckenbauer - all guilty of some or all of the above character flaws (and more!)

I just think he might like to consider letting someone else do all the interviews, or get some media training, because as far as most folk I know, the more we hear him, the more we dislike him. Every dismal utterance must be another few hundred off the next gate.

He's a whinger, a whiner, he's condescending and patronising to the people who pay his wages, he's dour, downbeat and uninspiring, and he's so, so, so ultra-defensive that he feels he has to set up his excuses before anything's happened. And of course any mishap won't ever be his fault.

HOWEVER

Ferguson, Clough, Mourinho, Beckenbauer - all guilty of some or all of the above character flaws (and more!)

I just think he might like to consider letting someone else do all the interviews, or get some media training, because as far as most folk I know, the more we hear him, the more we dislike him. Every dismal utterance must be another few hundred off the next gate.

Just imagine if his utterances started to upset the sodites? it could happen.

HOWEVER

Disagree. As a neutral I think Ferguson and Mourinho are brilliant characters, no coincidence they are successful men.

I think its nailed on that if he dosn't win a game before christmas he will still keep his job, and so he should imo.

and so he should ? can you explain that one to me as im at a total ******* loss, what will that be no wins in 30 and he should rightly steer us to oblivion in your opinion ? can the last one out turn out the lights, ive read some shit on here but thats right up there.

I quite like Sean O'Driscoll and, overall, I think he is just right for the club and the direction we want to go. This 'let's keep our feet on the ground' about expectations isn't striking the note when, in terms of results, our feet are already in sinking mud. For an astute thinking man he should be more aware of the psychological benefits of positivity and the dangers of introducing a negative. The very top managers whether it be Clough, Mourinho, Shankly and Ferguson are (or were) great psychologists as well as master tacticians and know how to install confidence. Results breed confidence but downbeat comments even though they are directed at fans rather than players won't help kickstart getting the initial win that starts that process. Arguably saying we should not have expectations that a big city should beat a small club with ease is common sense and realistic but it still comes across as downbeat, unnecessary and unhelpful.

If taken in isolation it's a meaningless throwaway comment but the bigger point is that SO'D has many pluses but he could tone down the negativity. He really doesn't need to lower expectations right now or keep people grounded.

Harry the point is coming on the back of great performance at Southampton and pretty universal praise, he has to have yet another dig at the fans, the bollox is coming from him, he is beginning to get his excuses in earlier and earlier.

Also judging from what you are saying from july 2014 he will have another load of excuses then after replacing even more players.

If that is the point which some on here are trying to extract from this, then it's sensationalist on the part of those taking umbrage. He has not had a dig at the fans here, he's making a realistic link to the fact that everyone knows BCFC is a much bigger club than CUFC, but this does not necessarily mean we should be expected to win the game at a canter.

I don't read that as a dig at the fans or an excuse. It's more a dig at where we are as a club and how we've monumentally ballsed up the last 5 years!

Disagree. As a neutral I think Ferguson and Mourinho are brilliant characters, no coincidence they are successful men.

I think most people have Ferguson as a bad-tempered whinger and Mourinho as egotistical and condescending BUT they are both excellent at their job.

I'm not sure - other than to chat about football - I'd like to meet either of them socially.

I think most people have Ferguson as a bad-tempered whinger and Mourinho as egotistical and condescending BUT they are both excellent at their job.

I'm not sure - other than to chat about football - I'd like to meet either of them socially.

Think behind the football circus they are decent guys. Documentaries in the past have been full of people from all walks of life talking them up.

Ferguson for instance would invite every manager in for a drink n chat after each game, win lose or draw. That's a decent thing to do.

I just think he might like to consider letting someone else do all the interviews.

You're onto something there. At least some of the football related interviews could be carried out by Burt, Pemberton, Murray even.

There's just too much of him awkwardly saying the same old things... Someone else with a different angle or just different phrases would be refreshing.

If I hear him bang on about decisions once more!!!! I'm getting the message loud and clear.... why aren't the players?

In the news today, there is a story about a man in China growing a nose on his forehead, following a traffic accident (I kid ye not. And I think you can tell where I'm going with this)

Tomorrow, the Post will lead with the story of a man from Wolverhampton with a foot protruding from his norf 'n' south (of the river) (well, if Stockhoosen wasn't sh1te scared of him, he would)

You're onto something there. At least some of the football related interviews could be carried out by Burt, Pemberton, Murray even.

There's just too much of him awkwardly saying the same old things... Someone else with a different angle or just different phrases would be refreshing.

If I hear him bang on about decisions once more!!!! I'm getting the message loud and clear.... why aren't the players?

He's only answering the questions posed of him, any problem lies with the interviewee(s) who ask the same old questions !

If that is the point which some on here are trying to extract from this, then it's sensationalist on the part of those taking umbrage. He has not had a dig at the fans here, he's making a realistic link to the fact that everyone knows BCFC is a much bigger club than CUFC, but this does not necessarily mean we should be expected to win the game at a canter.

I don't read that as a dig at the fans or an excuse. It's more a dig at where we are as a club and how we've monumentally ballsed up the last 5 years!

Well I bet he's hoping and praying that we don't win by 5 or 6, because he might have accept that 'these fans', whoever they are were right, that'll be a great sound byte.

i'm afraid on the back of an earlier remark about league one being tougher this season I see it as an excuse and a dig.

He's only answering the questions posed of him, any problem lies with the interviewee(s) who ask the same old questions !

But it was BCFC official tweet, Eco.

He could have answered it more thoughtfully and in a way that did not sound like he thought City fans were morons, by saying something along the lines of: "Well, there are no teams in this division we can take for granted and Colchester are likely to be a lot tougher than some fans think."

We've given up expecting any sort of inspiration from him, but at least he could tone down the apparent disdain.

Better still why not hire a script writer for the old SOD, I nominate Frankie Boyle.

Could you imagine one liners like this open-quotes.gif I always wondered about that woman who had that face transplant. If you went to bed with her, would that technically count as a threesome? close-quotes.gif

What i find so infuriating is he also said "Yes we are a big club, But the teams not at the clubs level infact its a million miles away".

Thats just disgraceful not only is he alienating the supporters, but worse he thinks the squad is a million miles away from the club, hell thats just really bad geography, i'm sure alot if not all live within and around the city, The man is clearly quite mad and needs to leave now......disgusted with this club, and this tennis racket

Archived