IGNORED

Colchester 5 Or 6

dilligaf

Have trawled through this thread and there's been a bit of an overreaction in some parts, but I understand people's sentiments.

O'Driscoll really needs to stop talking about our club's support with such disdain. He's driving a bloody big wedge between himself and many of the fans, and surely that's not a good thing if he's trying to build a successful future for the club. He needs the fans on board - we are part of the club whether he likes it or not.

I actually read the full article on the website then seen this thread and just knew from the title it had clearly been taken out of perspective one way or another

What SOD is saying is he has to deal with fans expections of games. He is right. A lot of people were confident we would beat Shrewsbury. Rightly or wrongly a lot of fans see the name and think "we're Bristol City, we've been in the Championship, we should destroy lowly Shrewsbury/Colchester etc".

All he was actually doing in the article was re-inforcing what he said originally that the "team" Bristol City and the "club" Bristol City are two different things and that although we've been a bigger team these last few years, we dont have a god-given right to drop down here and destroy teams left right and centre.

The more I read on here, the more I see nothing but a witch hunt against a man who is slowly building a decent foundation here. I dont believe half the rubbish I read on here, the 3 games I've seen live this season and the Rovers game on the TV have been a massive improvement in standard of football over the last 3 seasons in the Championship. We are actually playing some good attractive football at times and eventually it will all click in to place. There is no need to worry unless we are bottom of the league in January

The more I read on here, the more I see nothing but a witch hunt against a man who is slowly building a decent foundation here. I dont believe half the rubbish I read on here, the 3 games I've seen live this season and the Rovers game on the TV have been a massive improvement in standard of football over the last 3 seasons in the Championship. We are actually playing some good attractive football at times and eventually it will all click in to place. There is no need to worry unless we are bottom of the league in January

Nail on the head.

There are some on here who will over-analyse every word and attack SOD.

I actually read the full article on the website then seen this thread and just knew from the title it had clearly been taken out of perspective one way or another

What SOD is saying is he has to deal with fans expections of games. He is right. A lot of people were confident we would beat Shrewsbury. Rightly or wrongly a lot of fans see the name and think "we're Bristol City, we've been in the Championship, we should destroy lowly Shrewsbury/Colchester etc".

All he was actually doing in the article was re-inforcing what he said originally that the "team" Bristol City and the "club" Bristol City are two different things and that although we've been a bigger team these last few years, we dont have a god-given right to drop down here and destroy teams left right and centre.

You say potato...................., the problem is this SOD and his Sodites talk about 'some' fans expectations but in reality they then inflate those perceptions of those expectations to make them easier to defend, so please find a ground swell of opinion of fans who believe we should be destroying teams and vying for promotion because I really do not see that at all. All I see is 'some' fans who fully expected at least a couple of wins by now and mid table mediocrity and who now realise how far we have fallen and a manager who is getting his excuses in before games now and as for the highlighted part of your post, that has been the Sodite mantra for 7 months now, I am sure even SOD thought by now we would have had more scores on the doors.

Actually intelligent people who feel SOD should be given more time (for all the correct reasons given on this forum again and again and yet again!) must be really cheesed off with being called "sodites" by some who clearly has an agenda against the man in question.

I really hope that things work out really well this season for the club and SOD so us "sodites" can say to certain people on here "sodoof".

And if things go completely pear-shaped I will be the first one to put his hands up and say "OK - I was wrong and you were right. I am a "sodite", I recant, and I duly take my punishment." :yes:

I think SOD is playing out of his mind games, Twitter, what a plonker going on there in the first palce, its for mugs.

As for the pressure I think its getting to him already, knocking the fans, tounge in cheek or not when his record at BCFC

is so dismal is just plain stupid. Best he keeps quite for a while and concentrates his efforts on that elusive first win.

Time for Sod could be running out.

Well you're an idiot. Did SOD go on twitter? No. The official City twitter account paraphrased part of this interview: http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/20130927-sodprecolchester-1079812.aspx

Did he say he thinks we should win 5 or 6 nil? No. Try reading the full interview before posting drivel!!!

You say potato...................., the problem is this SOD and his Sodites talk about 'some' fans expectations but in reality they then inflate those perceptions of those expectations to make them easier to defend, so please find a ground swell of opinion of fans who believe we should be destroying teams and vying for promotion because I really do not see that at all. All I see is 'some' fans who fully expected at least a couple of wins by now and mid table mediocrity and who now realise how far we have fallen and a manager who is getting his excuses in before games now and as for the highlighted part of your post, that has been the Sodite mantra for 7 months now, I am sure even SOD thought by now we would have had more scores on the doors.

Not being funny but regardless of what the more common posters on here think (the recognised names, you being one of them) active posters on OTIB are a very small propertion of our support.

Go round the ground at a game and I hear many people saying we should be beating teams like Shrewsbury, Colchester etc. Granted those fans are probably the sort of people that dont really have a clue about their opposition - but they are the people that SOD is aiming this comment at. They are probably the ones that are making the most noise as well because they think we SHOULD be walking this league and because we arent, they are unhappy.

The people calling for SOD's head are in a win-win situation. If he gets sacked, they get what they wanted and can boast that they knew best blah blah...

If SOD turns it around and we get out of this slight mess, then their team is in the position they wanted. Some may be humble enough to say they got it wrong but it wont matter because everyone will be happy again.

I honestly dont think getting rid of SOD is even an option, let alone the right one - we will be back to square one with a new manager coming in to pick up the old managers signings and absolutely no flexibility to make any changes. SOD needs at the very least until Christmas and for us to get behind the team!

Right now the last thing SO'D needs is someone paraphrasing his words in under 140 characters.

I understand that some people have lost patience with him and don't like him but for the good of the Club can we try and understand the point he's making? He's talking about the fact that many City fans feel we should be winning these games comfortably, not that the team's performances indicate we are about to do so. The following quotes in this thread all underline exactly the point he's making. The views quoted are all valid and honest and in some respects reflect my own views. I think we should be beating teams like Colchester too but I promise not to take that expectation with me on Saturday and to support the team throughout the 90 minutes whatever the score.

Against a backdrop of us thinking we ought to win comfortably he knows that some in the crowd will be on the team's back if we're not 1 up in the first 20 minutes. Colchester will know that too and will be all out for a good start in the sure knowledge that factions in our crowd will make it difficult for our team in that event.

I don't personally see his comments as a criticism of our fan base and I've heard SO'D say that we're no different to any other set of fans in these circumstances. Talking about it pre-match probably isn't going to change anything either but I can't blame him for trying to encourage as many supporters as possible to give 100% backing for his newly assembled young team with fragile confidence. I always felt that the turning point in Gary Johnson's reign was near the end of that history making losing streak when the crowd finally changed tack from criticising and instead sang as one. Unfortunately I don't see any appetite in supporters to do that at the moment - I think we're still firmly in arms folded, head shaking mood.

Oh if I could like this 100 times i would. The most sensible post I've read for days!

Well you're an idiot. Did SOD go on twitter? No. The official City twitter account paraphrased part of this interview: http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/20130927-sodprecolchester-1079812.aspx

Did he say he thinks we should win 5 or 6 nil? No. Try reading the full interview before posting drivel!!!

S O'D - "Expection is biggest hurdle" - it's not even a word, never mind a hurdle

Not being funny but regardless of what the more common posters on here think (the recognised names, you being one of them) active posters on OTIB are a very small propertion of our support.

Go round the ground at a game and I hear many people saying we should be beating teams like Shrewsbury, Colchester etc. Granted those fans are probably the sort of people that dont really have a clue about their opposition - but they are the people that SOD is aiming this comment at. They are probably the ones that are making the most noise as well because they think we SHOULD be walking this league and because we arent, they are unhappy.

The people calling for SOD's head are in a win-win situation. If he gets sacked, they get what they wanted and can boast that they knew best blah blah...

If SOD turns it around and we get out of this slight mess, then their team is in the position they wanted. Some may be humble enough to say they got it wrong but it wont matter because everyone will be happy again.

I honestly dont think getting rid of SOD is even an option, let alone the right one - we will be back to square one with a new manager coming in to pick up the old managers signings and absolutely no flexibility to make any changes. SOD needs at the very least until Christmas and for us to get behind the team!

Agree, but as much as I'd be against that course of action in the near future, changing the manager HAS to be an option.

The club's long term philosophy is clear in the type of players signed, age of those players, style of football etc. and the plan already in place is for this to continue with a new manager whenever SO'D leaves - whether that be in 5 weeks or 5 years.

We are signing players to suit a system and a plan, not just an individual manager, so when the time comes a new manager will be chosen for his ability to carry this on and he should therefore have no problem with the players already signed, or feel the need to make wholesale changes.

If SO'D is unable to produce a tangible improvement in the next couple of months or so, i.e. results, his position is certain to come increasingly into question, and rightly so. If City stay in the drop zone it could mean that although the overall plan is exactly right for the club at this time the man responsible for implementing it is perhaps proving not to be.

Changing that individual has to be an option - what definitely ISN'T an option is further relegation.

Exactly, it's the same old posters with the same old agenda. They want the manager out and will stoop to trying to find anything that they think will help there crusade.

Fn laughable.

they don't need to stoop at all no league win in 7 months is all the ammunition you need

The point is, "YES ! WE SHOULD BE BEATING TEAMS LIKE COLCHESTER EASILY", but ALAS we have really got VERY POOR VERY QUICKLY and SOD is forgetting the point he has come in to manage the football team and get results. Not whinge and whine about the team not being that good, it is his team now

Actually intelligent people who feel SOD should be given more time (for all the correct reasons given on this forum again and again and yet again!) must be really cheesed off with being called "sodites" by some who clearly has an agenda against the man in question.

I really hope that things work out really well this season for the club and SOD so us "sodites" can say to certain people on here "sodoof".

And if things go completely pear-shaped I will be the first one to put his hands up and say "OK - I was wrong and you were right. I am a "sodite", I recant, and I duly take my punishment." :yes:

Define intelligence?

Get your facts straight please, I have NEVER once said we should get rid of SOD, my agenda if it is an agenda is simple, stop making excuses and take some responsibility, it's that simple for me, ok mr spokesman for the intelligent people, if you you are going to attack me at least get it right.

Again please look as deep as you like and find a post where I have said SOD should be sacked and THEN you can lump me in with those such posters/fans, my problem is explained in the reply to mr intelligent/open67.

Once more did I think this season would be a cakewalk?, not in a million years, did expect to be where we are and without a league win?, not in a million years.

PS:- SOD has managed something that GJ, Coppell, Millen and DMC have failed to do, turn even the king of the happy clappers 'glos old boy' into a realist.

Exactly, it's the same old posters with the same old agenda. They want the manager out and will stoop to trying to find anything that they think will help there crusade.

Fn laughable.

if that's the case we both must have an agenda, but once more I will repeat it for you, "I DO NOT WANT THE MANAGER OUT", please feel free to find a post where I have said I DO, I merely want an end to the excuses, is that too much to ask for?

There's nothing wrong with what you're saying there Marcus, but the problem is that isn't what he said.

What he said was "City fans expect us to beat Colchester by 5 or 6 goals". Well, sorry, perhaps he was exaggerating for effect, but I don't know anyone who thinks we'll win any game this season by that margin. In fact, those of us who've had the misfortune of all the home games don't even expect wins. I have no expectation of this team.

Maybe, if he's going to make pronouncements on what fans think, he should actually try to talk to some?

After some sober reflection today, I can see that it is no longer appropriate for us to expect to beat Shrewsbury or Colchester. We are in no position currently, first team wise, to do so. It is this "expectation" that is the team's biggest hurdle, the head coach tells us. But if we are not to expect to beat them, and they know this, will they then expect to beat us? Somebody has to be gearing up for things going right, surely? With only three possible outcomes, is it unreasonable to expect one of those occurring? If so, when will this "expectation" begin to undermine our opponents to the degree that it is holding us back? Or is that too much to expect? Perhaps we are the most expectant fans in League One? And maybe all those gassholes have been onto something all along? Maybe all this expectation is making us miserable, as it is so rarely realised. Not even with £40m thrown behind it. Perhaps, Sean is telling us, if we stop expecting so much, we are going to be pleasantly surprised someday. And so much happier, too. Is the old sod actually, in a perverse way, looking out for us all, even though we just don't know it? Is he being cruel to be kind?

Who knows. Bloody hope we win tomorrow, though

Get your facts straight please, I have NEVER once said we should get rid of SOD, my agenda if it is an agenda is simple, stop making excuses and take some responsibility, it's that simple for me, ok mr spokesman for the intelligent people, if you you are going to attack me at least get it right.

Again please look as deep as you like and find a post where I have said SOD should be sacked and THEN you can lump me in with those such posters/fans, my problem is explained in the reply to mr intelligent/open67.

Once more did I think this season would be a cakewalk?, not in a million years, did expect to be where we are and without a league win?, not in a million years.

PS:- SOD has managed something that GJ, Coppell, Millen and DMC have failed to do, turn even the king of the happy clappers 'glos old boy' into a realist.

Our club is in a bad place I`m sorry to say; when we beat Southampton a few years back who would of thought we would be so far apart now.

S.L has left us but hes not; he seems bored and miffed of with it all to me; his AV baby dying a slow and painfull death was no doubt the last straw.

SoD is managed from above by the puppeteers who are in turn managed by the puppetmaster . SoD will be cut free when the audience complain enough, dispite all the "long term" carp when they brought him here.............then ...........probably back for in GJ and the roundabout goes on.

Archived