IGNORED

What's Gone Wrong Since The Play-Off Final?

City1970

Long term plan!?

Invented by under-achievers who want to avoid scrutiny.

There is only one kind of plan in football - it's a one year plan. The aim is promotion. The objective to win as many games as possible. Simple.

It's not rocket science.

Football is a sport, not a business. 

Some smaller clubs, like Orient and Fleetwood, are showing what passion, team-spirit and big hearts can.

Sadly our club has lost its soul.

Well I completely disagree. We've staggered from season to season spending big and hoping something would happen. We NEED a strategy and a plan because we've never had one in recent years and, guess what, we've been shite in recent years!

Well I completely disagree. We've staggered from season to season spending big and hoping something would happen. We NEED a strategy and a plan because we've never had one in recent years and, guess what, we've been shite in recent years!

Yep agreed you need a long term plan.

But you also needs results in a transitional phase and that is why I am starting to lose faith in SOD.

All that's happened is, frustrating though it may be, we've found our usual level again. Took a while thanks to SL's backing but back to where we've spent most of our history.

Sad but true :(

Actually, you are wrong.

Since the 1958-59 season, when the 4th Division was established, we have been in in the top 2 divisions for 30 seasons and the bottom two divisions for 26 seasons (24 of those in the third tier)

If we were 0-0 johnson would always go for it, in the championship were also talking about drawing with newcastle and middlesborough , not colchester and crewe see the difference there

What? You must be joking.

Johnson was afraid to lose and when City got a goal up he'd park the bus for the remainder of the game. That worked during the play off season when City had something like 13 victories by one goal. The fortune ran out the following season when City conceded so many late goals it was remarkable.

Actually, you are wrong.

Since the 1958-59 season, when the 4th Division was established, we have been in in the top 2 divisions for 30 seasons and the bottom two divisions for 26 seasons (24 of those in the third tier)

What about Div 3 South ? I believe that was the third tier unless I'm being extremely dense

These comments about City's true level and where we've spent most of our existence.

Div 1 - 9 seasons.

Div 2 - 47 seasons.

Div 3 & Div 3 South - this is our 44th.

Div 4 - 2 seasons.

Regional football in two World Wards - 11 seasons.

What? You must be joking.

Johnson was afraid to lose and when City got a goal up he'd park the bus for the remainder of the game. That worked during the play off season when City had something like 13 victories by one goal. The fortune ran out the following season when City conceded so many late goals it was remarkable.

YEAH HOLDING ON TO A WIN not playing for a 0-0 and were talking about the championship no league 1 

We got rid of Johnson far too early. If there was dressing room unrest he should have been given time to weed them out

Club needs stability, not change managers or shout for managers to be changed every two seconds

Spot on. You can't have rebels in the dressing room. Basic rule of football management. Every great manager knows this.

But rather than backing our manager when he started laying the law down in the dressing room some of fans with influence whispered that they would back the players over the manager and we kissed goodbye to the best manager for 25 yrs.

When we were still seen as a side chasing the Prem after Coppell resigned - instantly becoming a side who was going to battle relegation as soon as Millen was appointed. For me it will always be giving Millen the job that created the rapid downfall.

Interesting choice as well. 4 months before Lansdown said he didn't have the experience. Coppell must have been a great teacher to fill him with the experience 4 months later!

Normal crock of shyte uttered by hot air Lansdown.

Yeah. We should have sacked him immediately after he got us promoted! Or maybe on the eve of the playoff final!

Tbh sacking him before the next season would have a decent shout. Getting a more experienced and deeper thinking manager at the higher level would have been a smart move.

Other clubs do that regularly, Southampton did it not so longer ago when they reached the PL.

Problem at the time was the silly 5 year contract Johnson was on.

Mate, the board have always had a strategy. Always.

Like all businesses they have a private version and a public version.

The problem is that for a long-term stategy to succeed yearly plans have to be implemented and annual objectives achieved.

Guess what?  We haven't been achieving our plans and objectives.

I have a better strategy.

Win games. Get promotion.

Every thing else will follow. Success breeds success.

These comments about City's true level and where we've spent most of our existence.

Div 1 - 9 seasons.

Div 2 - 47 seasons.

Div 3 & Div 3 South - this is our 44th.

Div 4 - 2 seasons.

Regional football in two World Wards - 11 seasons.

So that's 90% of our time in divisions 2 and 3, which is what I pointed out elsewhere. I know some of that time was in the undivided Div 3S, but we were usually in the top half of that, and when Div 4 was created, most of the northern clubs in the new Div 3 dropped like stones into Div 4.

Until promotion from the conference was established, Div 4 came to look very much like the old Div 3N.

So that would suggest that our natural level is bouncing between Divs 2 & 3, or Championship and League 1, to use today's jargon.

I expect us to be in the middle of this division at season' end, which will be par for the course, historically.

Tbh sacking him before the next season would have a decent shout.

So you're suggesting the summer after getting us to within 90 mins of the Premier League the board should have come out and sacked him??

It's this petty small minded short-termism that has ****** this city and this club

Tbh sacking him before the next season would have a decent shout. Getting a more experienced and deeper thinking manager at the higher level would have been a smart move.

Other clubs do that regularly, Southampton did it not so longer ago when they reached the PL.

Problem at the time was the silly 5 year contract Johnson was on.

Wouldnt listen to this bloke i was just checking out some classic threads hes had it in for johnson since the start wasted breath convincing him, apparently johnson made him look a bit silly at a fans meeting back in 2010 adding fuel to his personal vendeta 

Wouldnt listen to this bloke i was just checking out some classic threads hes had it in for johnson since the start wasted breath convincing him, apparently johnson made him look a bit silly at a fans meeting back in 2010 adding fuel to his personal vendeta

You're a bit behind the times mate. It's all old hat and been done to death.

You must a newbie.......

What about Div 3 South ? I believe that was the third tier unless I'm being extremely dense

Div 3 North and South was introduced in 1921.

By their nature, City could only be in Div 3 South, which they were just before and just after WW2.

These divisions were merged in 1958 to form Division 3 and 4.  Before 1921, there were only 2 divisions.  City joined the football league in 1901 and were promoted to the 1st division in 1906 where they spent 5 years before being relegated to Div 2, where they remained until 1932 (apart from the WW1 years when no football was played), when they were relegated to Div 3 South.

They remained (excluding the WW2 years when no football was played) there until 1955, when they were promoted back to Div 2.  During that stay in Div 2, the 4th division was introduced in 1958.

We have a businessman in charge of the club and not a football man.

Throw money at it...........it doesn't work. Use plan B...........nope, ain't got one yet.

You know very little about successful business management if you think that "throwing money at it" is how to succeed.  Investing wisely - heavily if needed, but wisely - is the key.  As is making sure your product is kept fresh and your market offering is maintained at the required standard.  I think SL knows this, being, er, a successful businessman. 

I'd say SL's mistake was not applying his business sense to the club.

The decline started immediately after the play off final because Johnson despite the boards full support failed to realise that City would be found out the following season if he didn't seriously strengthen the squad over that summer. He failed to do that.

Consequently the well know 'second season' phenomena kicked it and essentially the club have slumped downwards ever since, despite 3 different managers before ODriscoll.

At least now we have a man with a long term plan even if it means pain before gain.

Game, set, match and a cherry on top.  Robbored, we are of one mind.  As I said above, investment is key.

Part of the reason we are struggling now is that the previous investment has been in the wrong areas and too short term: "let's buy success!"  or "Let's not risk the kids, we'll bring in experience!".  Wrong.

Oh, and another big problem is over-achievement in our first season up.  I was expecting a relegation battle, not a title chase.  We got lucky and suddenly we had a new benchmark.  GJ tried but couldn't maintain it - the comment about 1-0 wins in our first Champ season followed by horror show late goals in the next was spot on.

The team that took us to the play off final was built on sand.  We lost a couple of key players on the day and we had nothing to bring in to replace them.  We deserved to lose that day at Wembley, make no mistake. 

You know very little about successful business management if you think that "throwing money at it" is how to succeed.  Investing wisely - heavily if needed, but wisely - is the key.  As is making sure your product is kept fresh and your market offering is maintained at the required standard.  I think SL knows this, being, er, a successful businessman. 

I'd say SL's mistake was not applying his business sense to the club.

Game, set, match and a cherry on top.  Robbored, we are of one mind.  As I said above, investment is key.

Part of the reason we are struggling now is that the previous investment has been in the wrong areas and too short term: "let's buy success!"  or "Let's not risk the kids, we'll bring in experience!".  Wrong.

Oh, and another big problem is over-achievement in our first season up.  I was expecting a relegation battle, not a title chase.  We got lucky and suddenly we had a new benchmark.  GJ tried but couldn't maintain it - the comment about 1-0 wins in our first Champ season followed by horror show late goals in the next was spot on.

The team that took us to the play off final was built on sand.  We lost a couple of key players on the day and we had nothing to bring in to replace them.  We deserved to lose that day at Wembley, make no mistake. 

You will never convince me that chasing premiership football was a bad thing and just to enlighten you gary was gone for 3 years before we got relegated and his squad was all gone by the time Mcinnies got his first full summer so explain how any of our relegation from the championship was his fault? and also how where we are now is his fault?

You will never convince me that chasing Premier League football was a bad thing and just to enlighten you gary was gone for 3 years before we got relegated and his squad was all gone by the time Mcinnies got his first full summer so explain how any of our relegation from the championship was his fault? and also how where we are now is his fault?

It's not entirely Johnson's fault at all but it was him who started the decline when he failed to strengthen adequately after the play off final. He should have pushed the club on from there but failed to do so.

In fact he's done exactly the same thing at Yeovil. He has failed to strengthen their squad since promotion and look where they are.

You will never convince me that chasing Premier League football was a bad thing and just to enlighten you gary was gone for 3 years before we got relegated and his squad was all gone by the time Mcinnies got his first full summer so explain how any of our relegation from the championship was his fault? and also how where we are now is his fault?

Didn't you see we were on the decline 6 months before Johnson left or are you incredibly blinkered?

Archived