IGNORED

Stockhausen

bearded_red

Do give it a rest! Trying to blame someone who has given years of loyal service to the club for our current position. Look to the bloke with his arms folded in front of the dug-out for that!

Gary Johnson struck a player after Plymouth. Something that would mean instant dismisal and possibly police action in most jobs. Carey - as PFA rep - was duty bound to take the matter up.

Were you at that meeting? Were you in the dressing room? No! So wind back the conspiracy theories.

I happen to know that after the heat of that situation left, Louis and Gary still got along. They still do!

As. for the. contracts, it's the manager that offers those. Have u ever approached your boss and said 'I'd like to be made redundant'?

Unless your name is Sir Alex Ferguson or Roberto Mancini, to name but two high profile managers who have done similar things. No doubt there were faults on both sides, as there usually are in a dispute, but the idea that players are innocent angels is one I find hard to take on board personally.  What has happened since doesn't suggest paragons of virtue. But of course it is always managers to blame, never players.

And talk of loyal service is fairly meaningless unless you are being offered jobs elsewhere. In fact Carey was once and he took it. I don't criticise him for that, I felt he had good reason at the time. If there have been other opportunities to move to bigger, better clubs since that have been turned down I have missed them.

I would suggest however that loyalty to Bristol City is not difficult when you know you are going to get a pretty easy ride, as is so often the case at this cozy club. Especially so when you can keep getting contracts for not playing.

Real loyalty is exemplified by the likes of the Ashton Gate 8, or by Tom Ritchie and Geoff Merrick not agitating when the club turned down bids from Arsenal for them. Not just by signing successive contracts.

Unless your name is Sir Alex Ferguson or Roberto Mancini, to name but two high profile managers who have done similar things. No doubt there were faults on both sides, as there usually are in a dispute, but the idea that players are innocent angels is one I find hard to take on board personally.  What has happened since doesn't suggest paragons of virtue. But of course it is always managers to blame, never players.

And talk of loyal service is fairly meaningless unless you are being offered jobs elsewhere. In fact Carey was once and he took it. I don't criticise him for that, I felt he had good reason at the time. If there have been other opportunities to move to bigger, better clubs since that have been turned down I have missed them.

I would suggest however that loyalty to Bristol City is not difficult when you know you are going to get a pretty easy ride, as is so often the case at this cozy club. Especially so when you can keep getting contracts for not playing.

Real loyalty is exemplified by the likes of the Ashton Gate 8, or by Tom Ritchie and Geoff Merrick not agitating when the club turned down bids from Arsenal for them. Not just by signing successive contracts.

The point I was making was that football isn't like other jobs. I'd be out the door for bollocking someone like a football manager does - even though I have wished to many, many times.

I'm sure players aren't angels either. But Sproule didn't hit Johnson.

As for Louis: I think the abuse someone who is second highest appearing player gets is both baffling and unpleasant. We don't know if he was offered jobs elsewhere, but he didn't stay here because he got "a pretty easy ride". He was a team stalwart for years, and a pretty good one for most of them - part of one of the tightest defences in the Championship when we got promoted

I can't see why he's on a contract now either, But my point is somehow suggesting he - or the other players mentioned - are somehow responsible for the position Sean O'Driscoll's team are in is laughable.

I have it on good authority that Stockhausen threw a tantrum because his and SODs personal shower was cold.

I heard quite the opposite and that it was because SOD was waving his arms around so much that Stockhausen couldn't get hold of the soap on a rope

The point I was making was that football isn't like other jobs. I'd be out the door for bollocking someone like a football manager does - even though I have wished to many, many times.

I'm sure players aren't angels either. But Sproule didn't hit Johnson.

As for Louis: I think the abuse someone who is second highest appearing player gets is both baffling and unpleasant. We don't know if he was offered jobs elsewhere, but he didn't stay here because he got "a pretty easy ride". He was a team stalwart for years, and a pretty good one for most of them - part of one of the tightest defences in the Championship when we got promoted

I can't see why he's on a contract now either, But my point is somehow suggesting he - or the other players mentioned - are somehow responsible for the position Sean O'Driscoll's team are in is laughable.

And the point I was making is an extension of yours in that managers and players alike tend not to be sacked in these circumstances. That seems to be football's moral standard, for good or ill.

I assume you are referring to other posters as I haven't abused Carey. Neither do I hero-worship him. For me he is a once good, for periods very good, player who is living on past achievements and has been given contracts for at least 2 years longer than he should have been. Again I don't blame him for that, it is typical of the cozy culture of the club. It is alleged that he is a great influence off the pitch but there doesn't seem to have been any tangible effect. Even if true, we cannot afford the luxury of paying for a non-playing captain, Davis Cup style. The fact remains that the decline continued after Johnson left and yet all the players , over that period still escape any responsibility.

This isn't intended to suggest that Carey has sole or even major responsibility, if any at all. Indeed there are a number of others I would put well ahead in those stakes. Weak management has allowed them to get away with it but that doesn't exonerate them.

Not JUST the club. But the fan base is shambolic as well. The club & fans are as far apart as it's ever been. I have been a City fan since 1978 & i'm ashamed of the so called (fellow) Bristol City fans

The whole blame has to go on Louis Carey, Ivan Sproul, & Paul Hartley who kicked off on Gary Johnson that night after the Plymouth game away & got Gary the sack 2 days later,

If Carey loves this club so much he would do what Sproul & Hartley did & do one & leave. He's only hanging around becuss he wants John Atyeo's record. Well Carey you dont even deserve to be in the same sentence as the great man Atyeo. So bloody pack your bags & go from the club NOW!!!!

My God, you are a c""t of epic proportions.

Dead right. We had to accept relegation to be rid of them.

A fox gets rid of fleas by slowly immersing itself in water, so that the fleas escape to the tip of its nose. Then it ducks down into the water, leaving the fleas to drown. That's pretty well what we had to do to get rid of our parasites.

That doesn't help if the fox can't swim when he's down there....

And the point I was making is an extension of yours in that managers and players alike tend not to be sacked in these circumstances. That seems to be football's moral standard, for good or ill.

I assume you are referring to other posters as I haven't abused Carey. Neither do I hero-worship him. For me he is a once good, for periods very good, player who is living on past achievements and has been given contracts for at least 2 years longer than he should have been. Again I don't blame him for that, it is typical of the cozy culture of the club. It is alleged that he is a great influence off the pitch but there doesn't seem to have been any tangible effect. Even if true, we cannot afford the luxury of paying for a non-playing captain, Davis Cup style. The fact remains that the decline continued after Johnson left and yet all the players , over that period still escape any responsibility.

This isn't intended to suggest that Carey has sole or even major responsibility, if any at all. Indeed there are a number of others I would put well ahead in those stakes. Weak management has allowed them to get away with it but that doesn't exonerate them.

My comments were sparked by the poster who started this Stockhausen thread going off at a bizarre anti-Carey tangent. 

I agree with you re his contract.

This has been my view ever since. Average players who made a good team when they stuck to the plan and worked hard decided after the play off final that they had arrived. As you say, they stopped doing what had brought them success under Johnson, at which point their flash cars and "How much do you earn?" attitude took over. Johnson's first mistake was to stay too loyal to some of them for too long, which opened the door to player power. Ever since we have suffered a bunch of preening, overpaid underachievers. Appointing Millen ;played into their hands as he was a weak manager they could manipulate so player power continued to dominate, epitomised by Maynard stringing the club along while Millen and Sexstone grovelled to him. Instead of shipping out those who poisoned the well (otherwise known as being a great influence in the dressing room) they were given new contracts, with predictable consequences. Not only that but more of their ilk followed. Given his rather feeble defence of Kilkenny and Fontaine (they're not crap, with a bad attitude, it's all the fans' fault) I'm not yet persuaded that SOD has changed the culture. If so we are in even deeper trouble than we appear.

I agree with all but the last sentance

I have always been concerned to what extent Carey was involved with the sacking of GJ, however if he was the PFA rep, as stated earlier, then I guess he could not be involved in some way!...As for the loadsamoney attitude displayed by some (Even the worst full back in history had a Bentley) and the grovelling to Maynard I think you are spot on! Well said sir.

As to the last sentence SOD has not completely changed the attitude/culture yet, by saying that he had all the high priced reserves on the books on Friday and most if not all will be out of contract in June he alludes to the fact that the job is infact only half done! The fact is he is trying on a limited budget to keep us in this division with youngsters and our boys from the accademy, giving them a chance at some experience and knowing he has a budget of sorts available after this season is done! More power to him!!! 

The vitriol aimed at some of our performances and particularly at our results by some (a vocal minority, as they often are) on this forum is mind blowing. We are developing talent and dumping the playboys. Yes we may be having to listen to offers for Ried and JET at some time in the next year, but that will allow new talent to come through and add money to the coffers under FFP.

Stick with SOD has always been my position and will remain so...His legacy at Donny and Bmuff is pretty clear to see and we as a club are capable of much higher things as was shown in the 70's....COYR and lets pray for a home win on Tuesday!!

Stick with SOD has always been my position and will remain so...His legacy at Donny and Bmuff is pretty clear to see and we as a club are capable of much higher things as was shown in the 70's....COYR and lets pray for a home win on Tuesday!!

His "legacy" has SFA to do with Bournemouth's promotion and everything to do with Russian billionaires taking over there. As for Donny, they've stayed second tier a lot longer than a lot thought; struggled virtually every season and may now be running out of luck.

His "legacy" there includes a 26-match winless run. Surely if he builds up these great foundations that run should've come at the start of his run, not 5 years on?

As for being mindblown that people are unhappy with results!!! Well it really does seem that bullshit baffles brains...

Unfortunately BCFC and the press don't ever seem to get on. We have a problem with stockhausen, and also with past reporters Latham and Godsif. All have put the boot into the club at some time, perhaps that's because they are firstly journalists, or because they have a personal gripe and no actual affiliation to the club, they're just doing a job. Across the water thet usually get a gashead as a reporter and failing that, a sports editor (Robin Perry) or editor in chief (Mike Norton), either way they get an easier ride than BCFC.

So, in my opinion, it's because we are the bigger club, with more followers, so more interested readers and, any news at all, equals more sales for the paper. The truth is, we as a club, have always flattered to deceive and let the fans on a regular basis and they have been very willing to report this, ably assisted by the gashead influence at the post.

Another gem from Stockhausen:

@AndyStockhausen 59m

Speaking to contact at Brighton Argus who tells me Crawley have lost last 3 games and failed to score!

Does this guy not follow football? I could have told him this as funnily enough I am interested in the results in our league, as a paid journalist covering this club I would have thought he may have known this?!

Archived