IGNORED

East End Stewards & Flags: Meeting

EnclosureSurge

Yes, at least a meeting was organise to clarify things.

I don't want to upset anyone or belittle anyone's efforts but from a visual point of view 4 flags looks a bit sad. I'd love to see 15 or 20 flags really representing the fans. Maybe the flags are a bit big and some slightly smaller ones could be used as well, more people might be willing to wave a smaller one? Maybe the club would be less restrictive with half sized flags?

Yes, at least a meeting was organise to clarify things.

I don't want to upset anyone or belittle anyone's efforts but from a visual point of view 4 flags looks a bit sad. I'd love to see 15 or 20 flags really representing the fans. Maybe the flags are a bit big and some slightly smaller ones could be used as well, more people might be willing to wave a smaller one? Maybe the club would be less restrictive with half sized flags?

Why don't you do some with your friends? There can't be 15 , if 15 people won't do it.

What about money for 15 flags?

Well done to the club

Why don't you do some with your friends? There can't be 15 , if 15 people won't do it.

What about money for 15 flags?

Well done to the club

Like I said, in a perfect world lots of flags would look great. I don't sit in the Eastend (was there when the Eastend WAS the Eastend) so can't help, just saying what it looks like from other parts of the ground. Why don't people want to wave flags, have they said? Lack of interest? flags too big and heavy?feel silly?don't like flags? As for the money, does the club shop sell them, maybe they could donate???

I am probably missing the point completely here, but what is so dangerous about a flag anyway?

Presumably it could be used as a spear, lance or broken up to make nunchuks...

Or what about building a ladder and scaling the away end?

Anyway, I commend the efforts of the EE to get more flags, but I am disappointed that the club can't (for once) see beyond the H&S rubbish and encourage support and passion.

And don't even get me started on the stewards, I won't change my opinion on them.

I feel so dirty after being raped by their lidded, fixed stares...

From today and until a different agreement is brokered, maximum four people can wave flags before k-o up to the whistle and at h-t (plus after the game, if we're really bonkers). Further, a maximum of two flags can be waved in a hatched/yellow painted area (to be confirmed with Kelvin at the game today) during the game, too.

What!!!

I find it hard to believe what I've just read. WTF is going on?

Do supporters really have to negotiate stuff like this? Nah, not for me. Tell them to Fk off!

So....the club and stewards dictate the maximum number of people that can wave flags, and stipilate exactly when. God forbid we score a goal, get too excited, dare to stand up and (horror of horrors) punch the air!

Next they'll bring in syncronised flag waving (training sessions every Monday night), happy-clapping on cue ("Permission granted to Clap Now!" over the tannoy), a sheet of approved songs (and words!). Oh yeah, and an approved dress code (sorry, you can't come in... you're not wearing a tie........madam").

Everthing is now so stage-managed. It's artificial and emotionless. False and superficial. How fkg boring!

Another squeeze on the wind-pipe. Football is slowly being suffocated to death.

I predict the worm is going to turn.

All sounds very exciting.

Maybe the powers that be should stop Scouse fans waving their scarves. They could have someone's eye out.

Whatever is agreed it just supports the notion that excitement and impulse have to be agreed in advance.

It's all a load of bull. There's no room for common sense.

Well done for trying though.

What!!!

I find it hard to believe what I've just read. WTF is going on?

Do supporters really have to negotiate stuff like this? Nah, not for me. Tell them to Fk off!

So....the club and stewards dictate the maximum number of people that can wave flags, and stipilate exactly when. God forbid we score a goal, get too excited, dare to stand up and (horror of horrors) punch the air!

Next they'll bring in syncronised flag waving (training sessions every Monday night), happy-clapping on cue ("Permission granted to Clap Now!" over the tannoy), a sheet of approved songs (and words!). Oh yeah, and an approved dress code (sorry, you can't come in... you're not wearing a tie........madam").

Everthing is now so stage-managed. It's artificial and emotionless. False and superficial. How fkg boring!

Another squeeze on the wind-pipe. Football is slowly being suffocated to death.

I predict the worm is going to turn.

Boring and Dreary...........bring back the seventies, from this :englandflag:     :englandsmile4wf::drunk2:  :city:       :englandflag:  :boxing:  :dance:  :bruce_h4h:  :xmas:  :devil:  :banana:  :dancing2:  to this :shutup:  :clap:  :fastasleep::flowers:   :hug:  :sign09:

Great that they are allowed but why a maximum? Don't get the impression fans in that stand mind if flags are being waved at the front like they would in others.

As long as nothing is happening on the pitch I doubt most mind... Think it looks great seeing flags amongst the crowd. Having a quota of four, at certain times, in certain places makes it more of a job..

This is exactly the reason I detest modern football. What a sorry state of affairs!!

Wave a flag in a specially marked box?

Good lord.

Agree; Really you couldn't of made this up a few years back, talk about taking crumbs from the table :facepalm:  :disapointed2se:  

Now please forgive me if I am wrong here, but I thought that the German model of safe standing was being held up as the way forward, as I said I could be wrong here but I am sure that whilst watching ITV4's Bundesliga programme I have seen a few more than 4 flags being waved and if I am not mistaken whilst the game is being played.

From today and until a different agreement is brokered, maximum four people can wave flags before k-o up to the whistle and at h-t (plus after the game, if we're really bonkers). Further, a maximum of two flags can be waved in a hatched/yellow painted area (to be confirmed with Kelvin at the game today) during the game, too.

Maximum respect to you for the conciliatory approach, but, listen to yourself.

Nobody involved in this chain of foolishness should feel proud of themselves. How did it come to this?

Can't believe that the op iscongratulating himself on brokering a deal where by the club graciously allow a small number o flags to be waved ! wow ! these people are out to destroy any remaining atmosphere at Ashton gate, ,if they do deign to speak to us they tell us mis truths, these people are not the fans friends they are our enemies ! negotiating with them is pointless and gives them legitimacy, they shoul cd be treated in the same contemptuous way that they treat us !

Well, I tune in about 24 hours later and I am glad everyone's taken on board the notion of thinking, breathing, thinking again.

Good to see people care about the flag issue (more on that topic later; hang on, I thought that WAS the topic?).

We seem to have lots of people stirred to action, so let's get you involved and ready to carve a better atmosphere in this historic year in the EE. The last there'll ever be. Lots of replies, so lots of people prepared to get some and make this even more our EE, our flags, our wishes, yes!!

However, maybe not so well done those who just piled in with - are you an adult-type sentiments, are we allowed to cross zebras and put our arms in the air-type reactions and the EE was better in the 70s and I stood toe-to-chest with Leeds responses.

Hmmm. What to say?

If you belong to the school of thought that this is what football is coming to, er, where have you been for 15 years - it's BEEN LIKE THIS for 15 years, not coming to it. Has no-one inside this post noticed?

If you think I am a child and question my adulthood, then don't read what i spel rong and cant rite AND Put iN MasSivE lEtTeRS, RITE?

If you are one of the ones who describe the stewards and officers as Gestapo and throw your hands in the air at everything modern football/life/governing hurls at us (hope you've got permission to do that) then, again, where have you been for the last two decades more or less of life? We are the little people. it's all very heroic to sit and type about standing up the man, but,, er, I don't see much of it i) happening, ii) working. Least not in this country and less so in football.

That don't mean we don't try. That don't mean we don't kick up a fuss when things are wrong. That don't mean we bend over and bare our ar*e*.

But there are other ways of getting what you want, and it doesn't always HAVE to solely involve shouting on a forum, having a go at ones who are different, or thinking everyone is against us (who do you think we are ... who do we think you are ... Millwall?)

Sometimes, just sometimes getting what you want - which will be an ongoing, perhaps infinite process, requiring time and patience and consideration - can also include a different approach. That of talking. And listening. And talking a bit more and then maybe some more listening.

Don't give me all that we've done that, the club don't listen nonsense. Why don't we keep talking till they DO listen and we can have a situation where we can have as many flags and people as we want, doing what they want, when they want to, as - ooh, horror of horror in a democracy - agreed between two parties.

Or do we just give up talking to the club and listening and talking - or is that ironically what you accuse those who are doing this of (me, for example) - giving up?

Direct action's great. But it doesn't always work: tell me the last time it really and truly worked and wasn't accompanied by some considered approach as well.

You have your preferred method of intervention. I have mine. You'll notice nowhere here am I telling you to stop doing what you're doing. The opposite of that is being launched at me. It's called (bloody hell, I'm bored of saying this on a forum) a difference of opinion. Funnily enough we both have the same aim: (need I remind us all) to see City succeed. Your preferred method is...well, I'm not too sure what it is this morning but I sure as hell ain't gonna just give you a diatribe on the wrongs of your method, but if it's alright, I might just do things my way.

You do it your way, your choice, but I might keep trying to talk to the club for all the faults that lie within that. I'm not necessarily right-er than you, cleverer than you or better than you. Just different. Don't know if you had noticed that, thought I might point it out, look.

And in case some of you weren't around pre-not very long ago, the club have a history, an abhorrent history of NOT LISTENING ONE TINY IOTA. Witness the 1980s. Ask my good friend the Right Hon Les Q. 

What we have now (however poxy and shameful and embarrassing it may be to some) was unimaginable, totally unimaginable then. It ain't perfect, we should be able to just have however many flags and people we want - but again at the risk of boring everyone further - have you not noticed how life aint like that. Not in any walk. 

We don't hold the cards. Simple.

If anyone wants, let's see what happens if we give it a go at all just waving a flag, going crazy and sticking it to The Man. I'll tell you, and it's just my two-penneth, what I think might happen. Either there'll be a load of chaos and cctv-enabled man-handling of fans and - at the extreme - further banning orders (of a different type to other recent ones). Or we get told no more flags ... reduced capacity in the EE or ... even no EE at all for the rest of this season. Great result!

So we either work with what we've got (not give in, but work with what we've got) or throw toys out of prams.

THIS choice IS ours.

Now..

I wonder how many of you who just outright - with no balance, no qualification (not as in CSEs, dipsticks) and little thought - criticise this post...

a) go to AG?;

b) go in the EE?;

c) appreciate the fact someone's trying to make AG less dreary than (maybe) you and your non-singing, non-flag-waving (permission granted) mates may be making it? (That'll light the touch paper!) However flawed, subservient and non-inflammatory we are by not eyeing the enemy in the iris and screaming You'll Never Take The EE, some of us are a different type of fan. Still 100% behind the club, the team, old enough to have stood on the EE when up jumped on the fence Glyn Riley (the real one, not the heroic poster on here: respec' Glyn, see you with yer family down Bar BS3 soon!), but different. Don't know if others have noticed, some people are different in this world!

Anyway, to return to my list... How many of you finally...

d) are just bored because we've won a couple of games and now have less to moan about? That's a pretty good list. I would imagine it would narrow you down to, ooh, 1 of you left. NickJ, possibly, for his first line?

And I am quite prepared to meet you in the EE - toe-to-eyeball if you like, you name the part of the anatomy - and we can have a civilised, positive, City-supporting discussion about it over a cup of Bovril.

Otherwise, move on boys, read summat else.

Can't believe that the op iscongratulating himself on brokering a deal where by the club graciously allow a small number o flags to be waved ! wow ! these people are out to destroy any remaining atmosphere at Ashton gate, ,if they do deign to speak to us they tell us mis truths, these people are not the fans friends they are our enemies ! negotiating with them is pointless and gives them legitimacy, they shoul cd be treated in the same contemptuous way that they treat us !

Exactly my thoughts, er...

destroy!

enemy!

congratulating himself!

Where'd you get that from then? The opening line, I presume: don't shoot the messenger.

I fi had one I'd find an emoticon of a lemming going off a cliff with his head banging through a brick wall of fire, headbanded like Rambo cos the Revolution is clearly here, Timothy!

Stick it to The Man (by posting some words on the forum).

Long reply ES and not really sure what you are talking about reference to me and as said respect to you for trying, but if the outcome of all that effort is to be told where and when you wave your flags, and how many, doesn't that rather defeat the point of it in the first place?

I have been all of your categories BTW

Archived