IGNORED

Tranmere Match Day Thread

petehinton

Simple, I see nothing nothing in his record that proves that he will ever deliver a sustainably consistent team and that is what is needed to compete at whatever level you play at.

Ok, fair enough I suppose. 

As a counter argument, would you not agree that he took a small club in Doncaster to their ceiling, if you will? If he were to do that with us, we'd be top end Championship (As that is where I would class our potential)

Also, would you not agree that there has been a fundamental change in approach from the top to bottom at this club, and that it is essential for us to do that? I personally see it that way. Whether it takes 1 year or 5 years it's so important to get this route right. 

I don't think i'm hoodwinked by the 'bullshit' of management speak, I genuinely think the path we've gone down is the right one and whilst SOD will inevitably make mistakes I'm willing to give him an extended period of time, like I was with Del for a long time and like I was with Millen. Obviously there has to be a middle ground where results come, but as we found ourselves relegated we have the chance for a proper clean slate. SOD's recruitment has been good? I can't really pick any faults in the permanent incomings, the loans have been needed to fill gaps but hopefully in the long term we won't need to go down that route as much.

The football hasn't been the best in the last few weeks, but we've seen a marked improvement in the results, be it wins, clean sheets, less howlers, less goals conceded. We were playing some decent stuff at the start of the season and we deserved to have won games we didn't but for those howlers... Obviously if you lose you deserve to, but you know what i mean. Now he is focussing on getting the defence right, and from that basis we can build our attacking performances, and he probably should have done that from the get go.  

Yeah but you're a carrier.

As JT alluded to, another dig at someone EMB?

The fact is I actually don't give a toss whether we win, lose or draw.. none of us can control it so I just go with the flow of the club. Seen more downs than ups so nothing bothers me. If that makes me a happy clapper than so be it.. feels better than being a moaning **** to be perfectly honest.

You've obviously read Parklife. Was that your starting point?

I have not. Should I? 

My starting point was a book called 'The changing face of football' which is a social study in football around the period I'm looking at. It intrigued me to the point where I wanted to look at the hooligan/racist couplet and how that influenced the kick it out campaign. 

I'm starting to come down on the side that the anti-racism agenda was initially instigated as a way in which to further control the working class football fan or hooligan in line with other measures like all seater stadia. That's quite a negative and cynical approach, but when you look at the timings of the whole thing it does seem that the anti-racism agenda was kickstarted long after the problem needed attention. It wasn't until football fans had actually stopped the en masse abuse, like that of Paul Canoville or Garth Crooks, that the agenda was really pushed. That's not to say that racism wasn't a problem by 1993, but it sure as hell wasn't on the same level as NF recruitment at Stamford Bridge or Elland road etc.

Frustrating point in the end. Concerned we've not put two decent 45mins together all season. We definitely have been a one half team. SOD needs to work on this IMO

That's fine, but there is a tendency to forget there is another team on the pitch

The opposition coaches and managers are clever enough to change tactics for there own side to counter ours.

I would have taken the draw before the game hands down. We were on top for the 1st half and the stats showed this, we came out in the second half Tranmere upped there game which should have been predicted but we didnt up ours we went into our shell and its very self destructive (As seen many times this season) and the thing that worrys me is Sod really doesnt know what to do when the opposition change how they play during a game.

I would agree with you on the going back to in the shell but that's been a trait that City have suffered for years.. I hope SOD can stamp that out and soon.

I have not. Should I? 

My starting point was a book called 'The changing face of football' which is a social study in football around the period I'm looking at. It intrigued me to the point where I wanted to look at the hooligan/racist couplet and how that influenced the kick it out campaign. 

I'm starting to come down on the side that the anti-racism agenda was initially instigated as a way in which to further control the working class football fan or hooligan in line with other measures like all seater stadia. That's quite a negative and cynical approach, but when you look at the timings of the whole thing it does seem that the anti-racism agenda was kickstarted long after the problem needed attention. It wasn't until football fans had actually stopped the en masse abuse, like that of Paul Canoville or Garth Crooks, that the agenda was really pushed. That's not to say that racism wasn't a problem by 1993, but it sure as hell wasn't on the same level as NF recruitment at Stamford Bridge or Elland road etc.

You are far to deep for me JT , I was brought up on Roy of the Rovers and Shoot magazine.

Now there may be the problem ;)

Ok, fair enough I suppose. 

As a counter argument, would you not agree that he took a small club in Doncaster to their ceiling, if you will? If he were to do that with us, we'd be top end Championship (As that is where I would class our potential)

Also, would you not agree that there has been a fundamental change in approach from the top to bottom at this club, and that it is essential for us to do that? I personally see it that way. Whether it takes 1 year or 5 years it's so important to get this route right. 

I don't think i'm hoodwinked by the 'bullshit' of management speak, I genuinely think the path we've gone down is the right one and whilst SOD will inevitably make mistakes I'm willing to give him an extended period of time, like I was with Del for a long time and like I was with Millen. Obviously there has to be a middle ground where results come, but as we found ourselves relegated we have the chance for a proper clean slate. SOD's recruitment has been good? I can't really pick any faults in the permanent incomings, the loans have been needed to fill gaps but hopefully in the long term we won't need to go down that route as much.

The football hasn't been the best in the last few weeks, but we've seen a marked improvement in the results, be it wins, clean sheets, less howlers, less goals conceded. We were playing some decent stuff at the start of the season and we deserved to have won games we didn't but for those howlers... Obviously if you lose you deserve to, but you know what i mean. Now he is focussing on getting the defence right, and from that basis we can build our attacking performances, and he probably should have done that from the get go.  

Sustainable was the point and he has never achieved that anywhere an overall win ratio of 35% which is poor, my point is we will win a few, lose a few and draw too many IMO.

The highlighted portion is a fair point and one that was forced upon SOD by the poor start to the season, but sooner or later he is going to have return to his footballing philosophy of passing and possession, the way he started the season.

He has made mistakes IMO Harewood and Carey come to mind, his thoughts on Killkenny are nonsense, he claims in one breath that the fans are undermining Killkennys confidence and then replaces him in successive matches once at half time and the other after 35 minutes neither had anything to do with the fans, how do you think that might have affected his confidence?.

The other point i'd like to make is this, I can never forgive the pathetic way we were relegated last season, had we had a real go and still gone down fair enough, why did he feel the need to start his passing/possession footballing style with a squad of players that he, you and I knew were not going to be here whatever the outcome of last season was going to be and too add one other small point to the mix, why oh why did Millen, DMC and now SOD come out with "we knew we had to change things at half time" why wait till half time, usually by half time we have conceded and we are playing catch up or even game over, ******* change it straight away FFS.

As JT alluded to, another dig at someone EMB?

The fact is I actually don't give a toss whether we win, lose or draw.. none of us can control it so I just go with the flow of the club. Seen more downs than ups so nothing bothers me. If that makes me a happy clapper than so be it.. feels better than being a moaning **** to be perfectly honest.

That's the funniest post on the thread referencing JT when talking about digs, **** me nurse nurse, i've pissed myself.

Unfortunately a dissertation is a research project. I've got no option but to be 'deep'!! Probably going to be making a lot of stuff up just to fill the ******* word count!

Do what I do use google thats how I found out what a "disseratation project" was, and dont worry about making stuff up your great at that :travolta:

This is forum is usually a unhappy place ! I think this is because many people have absolutely nofaith or confidence in the people who run our club,they make mistake after mistake,and seem to take pleasure in taking as much enjoyment away from the supporters as possible yet some gullible souls trot along to their pointless meetings and believe their meaningless promises that are usually broken as soon as they are made, leading to another meeting and on and on it goes! with the board continuing to do exactly what they want, but giving the gullible the impression that they have been consulted ! on the sod situation, I want any City manager to do well ,because if the manager is doing well then so are the team, but I appreciate that it isa results business and results are the paramount thing for most supporters, I was firmly on the middle ground regarding sod, until this board began to get flooded with messages from the loathsome person who calls himself bristol city and others, who have no objectivity just a twisted personal hatred of sod and a obsession with hounding him out of his job,they also made llittle attempt to hide their glee at our poor results! the anti sod movement reached it's zenith when the ridiculous .ashton kate. made a fool of herself and went on local TV to grandly announce that she was with drawing her support and boycotting the club until the manager was removed! ( talk about over estimating your own importance ,! ) I just think that this board attracts to a e great extent ( with some exceptions ) the extreme pro and the extreme negative among citys support !

Sustainable was the point and he has never achieved that anywhere an overall win ratio of 35% which is poor, my point is we will win a few, lose a few and draw too many

FFS.

Sorry to let facts get in the way but he had a higher win ratio than this at Forest, Doncaster AND Bournemouth...

I have not. Should I?

Absolutely. It starts with the removal of the NF from Elland Road and examines the birth of 'modern football' in the light of that. Highly recommended.

Do what I do use google thats how I found out what a "disseratation project" was, and dont worry about making stuff up your great at that :travolta:

No, you've got it wrong. You don't make things up in a dissertation - you quote things others have made up ;)

This is forum is usually a unhappy place ! I think this is because many people have absolutely nofaith or confidence in the people who run our club,they make mistake after mistake,and seem to take pleasure in taking as much enjoyment away from the supporters as possible yet some gullible souls trot along to their pointless meetings and believe their meaningless promises that are usually broken as soon as they are made, leading to another meeting and on and on it goes! with the board continuing to do exactly what they want, but giving the gullible the impression that they have been consulted ! on the sod situation, I want any City manager to do well ,because if the manager is doing well then so are the team, but I appreciate that it isa results business and results are the paramount thing for most supporters, I was firmly on the middle ground regarding sod, until this board began to get flooded with messages from the loathsome person who calls himself bristol city and others, who have no objectivity just a twisted personal hatred of sod and a obsession with hounding him out of his job,they also made llittle attempt to hide their glee at our poor results! the anti sod movement reached it's zenith when the ridiculous .ashton kate. made a fool of herself and went on local TV to grandly announce that she was with drawing her support and boycotting the club until the manager was removed! ( talk about over estimating your own importance ,! ) I just think that this board attracts to a e great extent ( with some exceptions ) the extreme pro and the extreme negative among citys support !

Its hard to agree or disagree with your post as I have no idea what point your trying to make. 

Archived