IGNORED

Listening To Interview...

spudski

It's not about his Accent... it's the words coming out of his mouth...

You can be intelligent and working class... it has nothing to do with accent...

Straight away... comments like... 'yeah I've worked with Pembo'... and such like... reinforce everything I already knew about this chap.

He's one of the 'lads'... it's not a culture I think this club need to go back to.

A bit of respect goes a long way...all this 'geezer' mullarky is so third division old skool...

I remember seeing this 'style' in the players lounge when GJ was in charge... the culture it breeds is not one I liked...

Certain players and coaches will be as pleased as punch at this appointment though...

Spudski has me on ignore so perhaps someone could point out that Cotterill said on his player interview he hadn't worked with Pemberton.

Perhaps not listening as much as he'd have us believe.

just had a quick search as wanted some facts about this guy.... i think he will be a good appointment he is local and also his win ratio is 40.67% over his whole management career which isnt too shabby in comparison to others SOD 35.54% DMC 37.88 and GJ 41.88.

so my thoughts for what they are worth we have picked up a good manager that took a 3rd tier of non league club to the top end of what is now lge 1 and has moved around a bit to pick up experience and knowledge so lets give him a crack cos 9yrs ago we would have happily taken this guy but now its all got very bitter at the gate and we all need to back the team the manager and the club  COYR

.... Forest fans were not wrong... it's like listening to a 'fan' rather than a manager...

How have gone from an intelligent manager like SoD to this... it's like listening to some Wurzel just out of school...

This is not inspiring at all... I'm sat here cringing... sounds like he's on the back foot already...it's awful to listen too.

Who are you - Nicky Maynard?

Is there something wrong with a West Country accent?

In reply to Glyn Riley... I gave you the benefit of the doubt and clicked on to see what you said...

Cotterill has worked with Burt, Pemberton and Pelling whilst at Forest...

so i'll ignore your nit picking and pedantic post, as it was the sentiment rather than the actual words that I was referring too... seems SoD had the same problem by having to say everything in black and white and simple terms... no one reads the sentiment or between the lines these days it seems... :facepalm:  :grr:

In reply to Glyn Riley... I gave you the benefit of the doubt and clicked on to see what you said...

so i'll ignore your nit picking and pedantic post, as it was the sentiment rather than the actual words that I was referring too... seems SoD had the same problem by having to say everything in black and white and simple terms... no one reads the sentiment or between the lines these days it seems... :facepalm:  :grr:

Well he has said he hasn't worked with Pemberton but knows him, that is what I heard in the interview.

when exactly did he take Cheltenham to the top end of lge 1, he must be amazingly versatile considdring he walked out on them during the summer after they won promotion from lge 2, anyway with or without him Cheltenham have never been at the top end of lge 1, the 3 seasons that they have played at that level have all been constant battles against relegation from start to finish,

.... Forest fans were not wrong... it's like listening to a 'fan' rather than a manager...

How have gone from an intelligent manager like SoD to this... it's like listening to some Wurzel just out of school...

This is not inspiring at all... I'm sat here cringing... sounds like he's on the back foot already...it's awful to listen too.

nothin wrong soundin like a wurzel.

To Glyn and EMB... you are correct he did say know and not worked with...which I find strange as he was at Forest when he was their. Either way... It was the sentiment...rather than the actual words.

I don't know whether anyone else on here has studied body language before... but I've had to do it in the past as I gave interviews.

A good way of telling if someone is lying or making something up or covering their tracks, is that they swallow hard, touch their eye, nose, chin or mouth after telling you something.

Watch the JL interview and SC interview on youtube... noticed before that JL likes a swallow and SC is a toucher... ooooo errrr missus... :P;)

Pemberton was manager of the academy at Sheffield United while Cotterill was at Forest. SO'D was Forest manager when Pemberton arrived.

He wasn't my choice for new manager but after listening to his first interview I am prepared to back him I wish him luck he will need it as some fans already against him. We all need to pull in the same direction we need to help the players and manager match day by creating a good atmosphere come on city fans lets play our part eh ?

To Glyn and EMB... you are correct he did say know and not worked with...which I find strange as he was at Forest when he was their. Either way... It was the sentiment...rather than the actual words.

I don't know whether anyone else on here has studied body language before... but I've had to do it in the past as I gave interviews.

A good way of telling if someone is lying or making something up or covering their tracks, is that they swallow hard, touch their eye, nose, chin or mouth after telling you something.

Watch the JL interview and SC interview on youtube... noticed before that JL likes a swallow and SC is a toucher... ooooo errrr missus... :P;)

Yes I studied body language and JL is nervous and SC is just trying to say the right thing ATM, what is your expert analysis of SOD's body language, here's mine uncomfortable, defensive, suspicious, arrogant and dismissive.

I started reading this thread at lunch time and from the comments made I thought SC must have been a bumbling country bumpkin who couldn't string two sentences together. I've just watched the interview and I'm now not sure if everyone was talking about the same person.

IMO he said some perfectly sensible things. O.K he didn't mention Einstein's theory of relativity or the meaning of life, but what do people expect at this sort of interview? I'm sure some people have made up their minds that he's a bad choice. They are perfectly entitled to do so but give the bloke a chance and don't start complaining about his interview style!

I want this on record - I actually think he is the RIGHT man for the job and will prove all you doubters wrong. I think he is exactly what this club needs. Passionate and going to give our over paid bunch of players the kick up the backside to perform. I was against SOD being sacked, but listening to Steve talk and showing the passion we have been missing makes me realise what we have been missing. Mr Holloway doesn't sound like a poet when he talks but he has done bloody well getting sides to the Prem. This will be an excellent appointment you wait and see!

I've just watched the full interview,I thought he came across really well.

Said the right things and seemed to genuinely mean what he said.

It's up to us to give him our support now.

He says he wants to play a "high tempo passing game" which is good to hear.

We all know he's played the long ball game in the past but perhaps he's changed his thoughts on the game.

I don't see what else SC could have said in all honesty.

Wether he can play his 'fast, passing football' remains to be seen and I wouldn't expect it to be pretty this season but needs must I suppose, keep us up by whatever means necessary and build from there?

I did get the impression we are going to see some 'older heads' in the January window but thought he came across quite well.

The other thing that came across was the mentions of STEVE Lansdown and his ambition rather than the Landown's. I guess SL is still making the decisions which is something most suspected.

Let's back the bloke and see where it takes us.

I've just watched the full interview,I thought he came across really well.

Said the right things and seemed to genuinely mean what he said.

It's up to us to give him our support now.

He says he wants to play a "high tempo passing game" which is good to hear.

We all know he's played the long ball game in the past but perhaps he's changed his thoughts on the game.

Good point Bill. As we know he brought SOD in to Forest so maybe he is looking to be more expansive or maybe just having the option to mix it up a bit.

Good point Bill. As we know he brought SOD in to Forest so maybe he is looking to be more expansive or maybe just having the option to mix it up a bit.

I can't imagine he's been coaching the players at QPR how to lump the ball forward!

They are a good footballing side with a lot of talent,Harry Redknapp wouldn't have trusted him to coach his talented players if he couldn't do it properly.

The whole situation has really bugged me over the last few days,but for some reason I now feel this could be quite good.

But, the fans have to back him and get AG back to a place the away teams hate!

After watching the interview he certainly made a favourable impression on me.

I would class my self as well educated and a good head on me. However, in football some of the best players and coaches do lack intelligence (however you want to define it..)

For me, I think he ticks a few boxes in that he is clearly passionate, will keep things simple (crucial IMO) and has a positive mentality. Too often managers want to display their tactical prowess by worrying more about the opposition and 'out thinking' them rather than getting the basics right. Think Sod was very prone to this and tried to over complicate things.

Well something I did like hearing SC say was that he was more concerned about our team than worrying too much about the opposition.   I think we have been overly concerned about stopping the opposition rather than playing our own game under both S O'D and McInnes.  

Personally I liked Sean O'Driscoll and thought that in time he would get there (but how long?).  But he's gone now so fully prepared to give SC my support.  Yes, the interview was a bit cliched so let's see what do on the pitch.   Welcome Steve.

The only way SC will be able to change a lot of hardened opinions is by results and decent performances. He's lucky in some ways that the expectations are so low.   I'm convinced this is an inspired appointment and I'm staggered by the negativity at his selection.  I reckon it's just a knock on effect of a prolonged disappointing footballing time under Millen & McInnes followed by a well meaning manager who also lost an unusually high % of football matches and , despite his best efforts, tended to transmit despondency. Unfortunately, there wasn't even the compensation of good football.  

I'll be happy with just decent results for now and the better football can follow.  It's important to note that SC said he wants to play a high tempo passing game.  The So'd supporters were happy to give him two or three seasons but seem unwilling to give SC ten minutes.

City's board and owners were never going to go down the route of seeking out an inspirational up and coming foreign coach and out of all the UK managers available and prepared to manage at this level SC is the right choice on so many levels.  

I love the fact that he has a west country accent and speaks in a straightforward way.  Football players are generally quite straightforward and there was talk that at Nottingham Forest SO'd relayed far too much information to them.  I don't doubt that and football at it's best is a simple game. SO'd had some good qualities but it's a fallacy that he was a good communicator - orally at least.    

I'm confident that SC will keep us up and create a positive atmosphere on the back of success on the pitch and a more positive air than we are used to off the pitch.   It's probably true that So'd was a more than decent Head Coach (SC sought him out after all at NFFC) but what is needed here is a manager and  a motivational manager and that's what we have in both title and the right appointment.  It's a bit revolutionary but, here's a thought, why not give him a chance and our full support?

The only way SC will be able to change a lot of hardened opinions is by results and decent performances. He's lucky in some ways that the expectations are so low. I'm convinced this is an inspired appointment and I'm staggered by the negativity at his selection. I reckon it's just a knock on effect of a prolonged disappointing footballing time under Millen & McInnes followed by a well meaning manager who also lost an unusually high % of football matches and , despite his best efforts, tended to transmit despondency. Unfortunately, there wasn't even the compensation of good football.

I'll be happy with just decent results for now and the better football can follow. It's important to note that SC said he wants to play a high tempo passing game. The So'd supporters were happy to give him two or three seasons but seem unwilling to give SC ten minutes.

City's board and owners were never going to go down the route of seeking out an inspirational up and coming foreign coach and out of all the UK managers available and prepared to manage at this level SC is the right choice on so many levels.

I love the fact that he has a west country accent and speaks in a straightforward way. Football players are generally quite straightforward and there was talk that at Nottingham Forest SO'd relayed far too much information to them. I don't doubt that and football at it's best is a simple game. SO'd had some good qualities but it's a fallacy that he was a good communicator - orally at least.

I'm confident that SC will keep us up and create a positive atmosphere on the back of success on the pitch and a more positive air than we are used to off the pitch. It's probably true that So'd was a more than decent Head Coach (SC sought him out after all at NFFC) but what is needed here is a manager and a motivational manager and that's what we have in both title and the right appointment. It's a bit revolutionary but, here's a thought, why not give him a chance and our full support?

Bcfcnick you make some good points. I do wonder whether the players really got it with Sean. Sean had my support, as did McInnes and Millen and I'll give it to Cotterill now. Onwards and upwards (hopefully!)

Archived