IGNORED

Who The Hell Do You Think You Are?

no_merde

In reply to Sargent Cider' ed.... so you think honest and niave is ok then?

If Lansdown employed a Director for his financial business, who made mistake after mistake, would he just pat him on the head and say 'never mind... it's just honest and niave mistakes'.... :facepalm:

So he gets blamed for continually sacking managers and blamed because he's not making sackings?!?!!

Do i think he's happy where his club is (both as a business man or a fan)? No, of course not. Is he bolting when the going gets tough, even in the face of such criticism? No. He's tried throwing money at it which failed (despite a lot of grumblings from some fans about only finishing top 10 in the championship) He's now trying it another way, a way that requires patience. Like an on the field team, the boardroom will need time to work together and find what works. Behind the scenes there have been many changes, Guy Price and Kevin Smith leaving top positions. He's tweaking things. Dawe on the face of it is an awful chairman, but we all know apart from the parking space he actually is no more of a chairman than anyone else on the board, he's just there to fill the chairman void (although his investment over many years cannot be questioned). SL has chosen to step back largely because his presence was a hindrance to the AV project. Once again, doing it for the good of the club. 

It unfair to draw parallels with his other businesses. He's not in this one to make money. In my time of supporting the club 90% of it has been mediocrity in the 3rd tier. We have no right to expect more. Hope yes but expectation no. With the way football is going we will be lucky to have a club to support in 20/30 years time, our best chance is to see out the long term vision which we have just set out on.

To be honest i don't know why i'm bothering,most people on this forum make up their mind and stick to it ignoring (or abusing all other opinions).  It's all a giant game of i told you so. Fortunately our fan base extends beyond this forum with a large number of fans getting behind their club. The kind of fans who are probably classed as happy clappers by the self certified royalty of this forum or the ones who just find ways to justify why they don't go anymore (if the Mrs doesn't let you, just say so!). It doesn't mean they are happy with every decision, it just means they're love of the club goes further than trying to be seen as right all the time.

As i said, i'm not sure why i bite, maybe its the fact that due to reasons beyond my control i'm unlikely to attend again this season. Perhaps some people on here need the reality check i've had recently. Sadly this avenue of keeping informed on the goings on of my club is far to depressing to continue with. I hope that when i return the club on and off the field will show some green shoots of recovery and people can see the bigger picture.

Sarge out!

CTID  :city:

In the light of day... he has bottled it again mate... so I don't agree. 6 managers in just over 3 years... that's not sticking by someone.

As I've said many times before... this latest sacking was nothing to do with results.

It was all to do with the owner and board trying to find someone they can work closely with.

SoD and Coppell both left for similar reasons.

That is why I have no faith in this board or owner...

The trouble with your argument is the customers don't know what they want? The customers can't even agree on which manager they want....so there is little chance of any good consensus on anything else. All the customers are good at is saying what they don't want and moaning when they don't get what they think as individuals they have such a Devine right to. Can you coincidentally think of anything the fans could constructively put before the board that the majority could agree on? Cos if you can? I'm sure the board would listen! Answers on a postcard!

A point well made.

The fans called for the a East End to be opened up. That happened.

They called for changes in the season ticket structure. That happened. Payment in installments etc.

They asked SL to invest in youth, he's listening.

Some good stuff, some bad stuff overall.

In the light of day... he has bottled it again mate... so I don't agree. 6 managers in just over 3 years... that's not sticking by someone.

As I've said many times before... this latest sacking was nothing to do with results.

It was all to do with the owner and board trying to find someone they can work closely with.

Spuds, you need a cuddle, mate. My arms are available for you, anytime...

Please explain what I am condoing and how?

A football club is no different to any other business. Without fans there would be no football club is a derivation of without customers there would be no business. So it's in Lansdown's interest to keep and (hopefully) grow the customer base of his business.

That locks his interest into the interests of the majority of fans. That's how capitalism works, and why its lifted more people out of poverty than any other ideology.

You are entitled to your opinion and to making it how ever many times you want. But being outraged that Steve Lansdown does anything other than run the club how he see's fit is stupid.

You want control, you buy it.

When people seriously believe that, football is dead.

Yes the board have made mistakes and in a post a month or so ago I expressed a wish that maybe new owners could come in and sort out the mess we were in. Despite this, the cold reality is that whoever did take over would probably be more in the mould of Tan and his ilk, which would be far more hazardous to the club's identity and future than the Lansdowns.

Had they stuck with SoD and we drifted into League 2, I believe many would have argued that this was part of a long term strategy to bring all the Bristol sports under one roof, perhaps even a few would come out and say how inept the board were to get rid of him. Yes, this is all ifs and buts, but sacking SoD and hiring Cotterill to me speaks of the desire to stay in League One. Offering out other City fans on here is pretty embarrassing too, for ****s sake, we all support the same club-it's not life and death we're talking here.

When people seriously believe that, football is dead.

Zoon: I'm offering and administering kisses and cuddles to the tired, emotional and weary keyboard worriers, the faithful, the faithless, fence sitters, budgie smugglers, nay sayers, doubters, ciderheads everywhere,even lager drinkers. But you'll have to leave that little hog in a box to have any chance

Jordan / Andy,

Your view point comes across as extremely naive and immature.

It seems you want to criticize, but without offering any constructive solutions. You want the club run properly, but are unwilling to take the responsibility for putting this into action.

In the real world you can't pick and choose which decisions you want to take or stop things that are seemingly in your interests suddenly metamorphise into things that aren't.

I know that you're hurting because of the position this club is in - we all are - and it's totally human to want to find someone, something to blame.

But, as some one who looks at a lot of businesses, in this football club Steve Lansdown is on the assets side of its balance sheet not its liabilities.

If anything he's our greatest defence against what's happened at Cardiff.

Better post, lost in the dirge posted by the likes of TMOR.

I don't see it as immature at all and would also add that I feel your viewpoint is naive, but that's simply a reflection of which side of the fence we sit on.

I do not want to criticise at all, in fact I probably have a reputation for being a happy clapper which has been completely destroyed in a matter of days. I am one who usually would be singing from your hymn sheet, but it has all got too much and I feel that those running the club and making the decision are making the wrong ones all too often.

The club is alienating its only source of income (apart from the TV), the supporters. For every big step in the right direction (Safe standing at the new AG) there are 3, 4, 5... big balls up that really upset the fans. (Heavy handed stewards, banning orders, flags only in hatched areas, banning flags on the netting, ticketing etc, etc, etc.)

I also cannot abide by the notion that a sports team is anything like a normal business. This is and always will be professional sport. That Sky and the Prem have destroyed the innocence of the game is not something to be accepted. Yes, that is the world we now live in but there is no way that the soul of the club should be sacrificed in order to save a few bob.

There are a number of constructive solutions that have been asked for many times. A supporter representative on the board, Transparency (If there is nothing to hide why not shut me and Nick up about the stadium?), Experienced football people on the board hired to run the club for SL as opposed to giving his son such power despite nothing justifying it (He doesn't own the club either and he didn't earn the money that paid for it!!!)

I don't know about that, in the aftermath of 1982 safeguards were created (The exact details you should get Nick J to explain as I have forgotten the details) to ensure that this football club never fell into the hands of the wrong sorts who held too much power and no accountability. I don't know if SL is the 'wrong sort', I happen to quite like the guy. (I've rowed with Nick numerous times about this topic.) but there is a lot of 'smoke and mirrors' and misinformation that could encourage suspicion. Perhaps so many years of false promises and as I grow older I'm a little less likely to trust, but there is something about the entire Bristol Sport Ltd that I don't trust. I can't pinpoint what it is, but there is something iffy about it and I do not want to see the heritage of my club altered on the whim of one man. There should never be a scenario at BCFC where one man can make the decisions on behalf of so many, and right now that appears to be the case. SL should not own as much of the club as he does (as was previously stipulated by those safeguards) and power should be held by several people and several independent viewpoints.

That's my suggestions. I don't know about "board out". I just want "Board, get better at your job of looking after the one thing I love that isn't family"

Better post, lost in the dirge posted by the likes of TMOR.

I don't see it as immature at all and would also add that I feel your viewpoint is naive, but that's simply a reflection of which side of the fence we sit on.

I do not want to criticise at all, in fact I probably have a reputation for being a happy clapper which has been completely destroyed in a matter of days. I am one who usually would be singing from your hymn sheet, but it has all got too much and I feel that those running the club and making the decision are making the wrong ones all too often.

The club is alienating its only source of income (apart from the TV), the supporters. For every big step in the right direction (Safe standing at the new AG) there are 3, 4, 5... big balls up that really upset the fans. (Heavy handed stewards, banning orders, flags only in hatched areas, banning flags on the netting, ticketing etc, etc, etc.)

I also cannot abide by the notion that a sports team is anything like a normal business. This is and always will be professional sport. That Sky and the Prem have destroyed the innocence of the game is not something to be accepted. Yes, that is the world we now live in but there is no way that the soul of the club should be sacrificed in order to save a few bob.

There are a number of constructive solutions that have been asked for many times. A supporter representative on the board, Transparency (If there is nothing to hide why not shut me and Nick up about the stadium?), Experienced football people on the board hired to run the club for SL as opposed to giving his son such power despite nothing justifying it (He doesn't own the club either and he didn't earn the money that paid for it!!!)

I don't know about that, in the aftermath of 1982 safeguards were created (The exact details you should get Nick J to explain as I have forgotten the details) to ensure that this football club never fell into the hands of the wrong sorts who held too much power and no accountability. I don't know if SL is the 'wrong sort', I happen to quite like the guy. (I've rowed with Nick numerous times about this topic.) but there is a lot of 'smoke and mirrors' and misinformation that could encourage suspicion. Perhaps so many years of false promises and as I grow older I'm a little less likely to trust, but there is something about the entire Bristol Sport Ltd that I don't trust. I can't pinpoint what it is, but there is something iffy about it and I do not want to see the heritage of my club altered on the whim of one man. There should never be a scenario at BCFC where one man can make the decisions on behalf of so many, and right now that appears to be the case. SL should not own as much of the club as he does (as was previously stipulated by those safeguards) and power should be held by several people and several independent viewpoints.

That's my suggestions. I don't know about "board out". I just want "Board, get better at your job of looking after the one thing I love that isn't family"

Jordan that last sentence sums it up beautifully ,good post.

riddlesdown red, on 04 Dec 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

Well probably the best discussion I have read on this forum in ages. It is usually filled with self opiniated drivel. So for all those involved please take a bow

And you agree with this, so it's not self-opinionated drivel. That's just the points you disagree with, right.

Well aizoon I didn't,t say I agree with anything only that I liked the mature discussion taking place at the time.

Of course it's to do with results, have you not noticed we are second bottom of the 3rd division?

SoD and Coppell didn't leave for similar reasons, SoD was sacked because results were s***, he was lucky to last as long as he did.

Coppell quit because he found out Lansdown had blown all his money on David James' wages.

You believe that if you want mate... I choose to believe something else, based on things I've been told and people I've spoken too... not what I've read in the media.

So are you saying there is no Such thing as Santa? Just cos some bloke down the pub told you! We'll if that's true, where do all these bloody socks and Hankies I get each year come from? Come on smartie pants, explain that one?

In reply to John from High Littleton... :thumbsup:

I believe the socks and hankies you are referring too, are from the sock monster that lives in the back of most peoples washers and driers... he disguises himself in a red jacket, black boots and white fluffy beard... he's just spreading the sock love about.

As for talking to strange men down the pub... never... but through friends and aquantancies who work in football or business  , or at work functions, sponsored Golf and Cricket days out, football functions, etc,etc... then you maybe onto something. ;)  :shifty::ph34r:

Archived