IGNORED

Louis Carey

A Horse With No Name

I understand he had some excellent questions for Mr Clegg on Heart FM this morning....... including asking our deputy leader if he knew what "Natch" was...

Nice to know he has a job to go to when he hangs up his boots

FYI - The "sideshow" Bob of British politics did not know what "Natch" was............ typical of this elitist government ...

Looks like he will be breaking Atyeo's appearance record after all. However, sources from within the club have been saying that he was instrumental, in his role as senior pro, in nudging SOD toward the exit door. Apparently SOD made it perfectly clear to Carey that he would not play him just to help him complete the tally he needs, and Carey chipped away at the powers that be that SOD was not the man for the job.

Carey has previous form in this department with the removal of Gary Johnson, and lo and behold, in Cotts first game in charge, Carey gets a couple of minutes at the end. Make of it what you will, but when he gets the record appearance sometime in the near future, it will be somewhat tainted in my opinion.

utter bollocks

No subs in most of Big John's career. Didn't they come in after two successive FA cup finals were ruined by injuries? 64 and 65?

Subs first used in 1965, the year Atyeo retired I think.

And yes I too understood that Louis really rated SOD, who, contrary to suggestions, never said that he wouldn't play him, what he said was that he wouldn't play him for sentimental reasons just to break the record: he'd pick him if he thought it warranted it.

Utter rubbish.

Louis felt that "SOD was the best coach he's ever played under" and that he was "really disappointed to see him go".

Source?... Sue Carey (his Mum!) at Tamworth yesterday.

It's also a well known fact that SOD faught to get him a 1 year deal this year.

Move on.

Another quote from yesterday from a lady who works at the club.

"O'Driscoll was an arrogant horrible man not liked by most at the club."

I have no idea if she's right or not.

I think we get behind a club legend -- because that's what Carey is -- and move on from days that are now behind us.

Bye then.

come on Jordan,im not saying the guy(Lewis)isnt,and hasnt been heart and soul its just that time and tide wait for no man-not even a club legend..i can tell you from personal experience(obviously not from a pro football players perspective)that the body just cant handle the whacks anymore,and doesnt react with that speed to what the brain is trying to tell it.you will get there and when you do you will know it!!!  

In every workplace people have opinions on their Manager(s) that they don't necessarily feel the need to tell them for various reasons. That is human nature and footballers will be no different. The problem you get at football clubs is that the football workplace is of interest to many people unlike the normal workplace so you also get poisonous, snivelling, little shysters (often players not getting picked in the first team) who cannot wait to go out there and spread rumours of trouble and the like behind the scenes that end up on forums due to people getting all exited that they are somehow "in the know" nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

The best way in my view is to deal in facts, not rumours, and the unarguable fact is that ALL of these Managers who Carey was apparently bagging behind their backs have seen fit to PICK the bloke 640 odd times in his professional career. A feat that very few professionals get close to achieving and maybe an achievement that one or two behind the scenes at the Gate are jealous of. I find it hard to believe that such a negative influence and trouble maker could hide his true personality for 20 odd years and pick up so many appearances along the way.

Any pro who playes 400+ games of football is a very good pro in my opinion and anyone who makes 600 odd appearances (Louis Carey and Mickey Bell spring to mind) is a great pro at any level.

At nearly all clubs a player with that record would be cut some slack for moving on for six months when he saw inferior players being signed on and earning double his wages and they would command a modicum of respect from supporters for the effort they have put in, the broken noses, gashed eyes, appearances when not fully fit and the like. But not at Bristol City because we can be a pretty sh1te bunch at times as supporters go.

I hope Carey never comes onto otib & sees what a very sad few make up about him. If he does come on here and reads threads like this, I hope he realises they're in the minority, every time he plays he gets the loudest cheer of the game.

Been an idol to me from when I first started watching.

One Louis Carey.

This place amazes me.

We are on the verge of witnessing a piece of Bristol City history being made by a club legend.  We will be able to tell our grand-kids, "I was there".  It is unlikely to be seen again (although never say never!)

The bloke has had countless supposedly top class forwards in his pocket.

What do some numpties do? Have sly digs. 

As far as I'm concerned - hero & legend.

people say that Louis has caused trouble behind managers backs but where is their the slightest evidence for this ? Louis apparently went to sl to complain about gj,s behaviour but this done on behalf of other players who complained to Louis ( who was their union rep at the time ) so Louis behaved in a totally appropriate way, Louis must have played under 12 or 13 managers during his time at Ashton gate, most of them have extended his contract ! I prefer to base my opinion of Louis on that,rather than un substantiated Tittle tattle from people who claim to be itk..

I love the fact that we are a proper club and generally have genuine and knowledgeable supporters. However sometimes I am just embarrassed by the things I read and some of the crap posted on this thread is unbelievable.

I cant think of any other profession or indeed other professional football club where someone who  gave almost their entire career to one cause could be subject to such pathetic comment. 

As others have said if so many managers were prepared to back Louis where does the real problem lie?

With jealousy and small mindedness I would suggest.

Perhaps it is best to remember that a few posters on a forum that doesn't represent all our fans is not a true reflection of the respect that the majority have for Carey.

I'm not going to lie, I think the last two one year deals he's been given were wrong, but that doesn't diminish the totality of his efforts for us back to 1995.

Perhaps it is best to remember that a few posters on a forum that doesn't represent all our fans is not a true reflection of the respect that the majority have for Carey.

I'm not going to lie, I think the last two one year deals he's been given were wrong, but that doesn't diminish the totality of his efforts for us back to 1995.

I'd agree with that if the club only thinks of Louis as a player. I think he's being groomed for a role in the club.

However, sources from within the club have been saying that he was instrumental, in his role as senior pro, in nudging SOD toward the exit door. opinion.

My sources within the club tell me that 2 wins in 10 months was instrumental in removing SOD.

Any part that Carey played in accelerating that should be applauded. If it happened.

I'd agree with that if the club only thinks of Louis as a player. I think he's being groomed for a role in the club.

Almost certainly the case. Cue the "jobs for the boys bullshit" - Carey is a fan like us and I would be very pleased with that. After 20 years he will know the club inside out.

Apparently he's very good with the younger players passing on advice etc.

My sources within the club tell me that 2 wins in 10 months was instrumental in removing SOD.

Any part that Carey played in accelerating that should be applauded. If it happened.

Almost certainly the case. Cue the "jobs for the boys bullshit" - Carey is a fan like us and I would be very pleased with that. After 20 years he will know the club inside out.

Apparently he's very good with the younger players passing on advice etc.

I don't have a problem with him getting a coaching job at the club, my problem is this I would much prefer him to do an 'apprenticeship' elsewhere and return in a position of strength having proved himself elsewhere, because as we know at BCFC when it goes wrong it goes wrong spectacularly and former 'legends' end up leaving in less than glorious circumstances ala Tinnion, Millen and even Alan Walsh and the 'jobs for the boys' allegation will always be brought up it's inevitable not bullshit IMO.

Tinnion was promoted to a job he wasn't ready for, Millen to a job he was apparently not suitable for only a few months previously.

There's nothing wrong with serving your apprenticeship within the same club if done sensibly - the jobs for the boys tag is both bullshit but yes you are correct, inevitable when it goes wrong and people jump on the excuses and "I told you so" bandwagon

i picked up my tickets for tamworth on sat morning from the club shop... the team bus was waiting with all the players on the bus etc.

As i crossed to go back to my car i was almost taken about by a speeding VW coming to a screeching halt. I wave of apology to me from the handle bar moustached former City captain and he boarded the bus.

I thought - 'fair dos, i've almost got knocked over by a bloke who dont even get to play anymore' -- how wrong i was when he got on the pitch on sunday....

I thought he had become a bit of a beckham character like at the world cup where he is there, but nobody quite knows why he is there.

Still love louis though - club legend.

Carey is a fantastic servant of the club and he should be applauded and rightly very proud to break the appearence record. Likewise, we can be proud as supporters to have had a decent player stay commited to the club for so long.

Legend only means someone who is very well known. Put whatever label on his achievments you like but legend or not, John Atyeo will remain our greatest ever player. I think there is room for both within the clubs history and Im sure Louis would be humble enough to admit he is not in the same class as him.

Different player, different era, same respect.

Carey is a fantastic servant of the club and he should be applauded and rightly very proud to break the appearence record. Likewise, we can be proud as supporters to have had a decent player stay commited to the club for so long.

Legend only means someone who is very well known. Put whatever label on his achievments you like but legend or not, John Atyeo will remain our greatest every player. I think there is room for both within the clubs history and Im sure Louis would be humble enough to admit he is not in the same class as him.

Different player, different era, same respect.

Bugger. Run out of Likes. WELL SAID, SIR!!!!

Archived