IGNORED

The End Is Coming...

BUTOR

A lot of good memories Brewster, most of which I remember witnessing from the Enclosure. (I wasn't an East Ender. Preferred to watch from the Enclosure from above the old tunnel.)

One memory that has stuck in my mind (which you don't mention) is Jan Mollers Penalty save v Newport County. From finger tips to toes, he seemed to have the entire East End covered at full stretch, not just the goal mouth. 

Maybe, this memory is better served looking toward the East End, but it's stuck with this old Enclosure lad for the last 30 years.

However, with the events at Hillsborough and the unnecessary loss of 96 lives combined with Skys dominance of TV coverage, and their influence in decision making within our beautiful game, the sport I love has changed, and personally, I fear, not for the better.

The Italic paragraph may not be East End related, but is part of the reason why The East Ends days are numbered.

Who set the Terms Of Reference for Lord Chief Justice Taylor? He was charged not just with conducting an inquiry into Hillsborough, but also with finding ways of making football grounds safer (NB: not sports grounds, just football grounds) and also "Introducing the gentrification of the game". In other words getting rid of the likes of you & I and replacing us with family stands & corporate boxes.

Watching the Forest v WHU game, a large proportion of the fans behind the goal to the right of the screen are standing and no one is telling them to sit down.

I've been in the East End for many of the games already mentioned, ie, Beating Liverpool in survival fight at end of first season in 1st Division, Chelsea in cup, West Ham melee, Forest in League Cup Semi Final, Rotherham in promotion celebration and many more.  Also clearly remember that fantastic game when we pummelled the sags for about 85 mins, but couldn't break them down, they get late penalty that we save and we then go down the other end and score the winner to break their run of unbeaten games against us.  Fantastic feeling in the East End, though admittedly the whole ground went totally mental that day!

I'm in the pro AV camp to be honest, which would give the East End a stay of execution.  If on the other hand we do go for the AG rebuild option, I reckon the club needs to really pull out all the stops to make the final match a special occasion in the East End.  I would allow as many pay on the day as possible in there, but not on reduced prices, so only the people who REALLY want to be there get in, not just people after a cheap ticket but contribute nothing to the atmosphere.  I've got a season ticket with my better half in the Atyeo these days, but I'd pay good money to come in and help recreate the special atmosphere we used to have in the East End for that last game.  

We need to make it one of those special occasions that people remember for ever.  This can then be used as an example of 'that's what our new home end needs to be like' for when the stand is redeveloped. 

I am not the nostalgic type. if AG is redeveloped i will be glad to see the decrepit old thing bulldozed in short fashion.

Your perfectly entitled to that view mate, but there are plenty who will mourn the end of that old stand.

When the bulldozers do move in, I'll be there trying to pick up some momentos from the old stand, to add to the old sections of crush barriers I managed to rescue when the stand was converted to all seater!

I've been in the East End for many of the games already mentioned, ie, Beating Liverpool in survival fight at end of first season in 1st Division, Chelsea in cup, West Ham melee, Forest in League Cup Semi Final, Rotherham in promotion celebration and many more.  Also clearly remember that fantastic game when we pummelled the sags for about 85 mins, but couldn't break them down, they get late penalty that we save and we then go down the other end and score the winner to break their run of unbeaten games against us.  Fantastic feeling in the East End, though admittedly the whole ground went totally mental that day!

I'm in the pro AV camp to be honest, which would give the East End a stay of execution.  If on the other hand we do go for the AG rebuild option, I reckon the club needs to really pull out all the stops to make the final match a special occasion in the East End.  I would allow as many pay on the day as possible in there, but not on reduced prices, so only the people who REALLY want to be there get in, not just people after a cheap ticket but contribute nothing to the atmosphere.  I've got a season ticket with my better half in the Atyeo these days, but I'd pay good money to come in and help recreate the special atmosphere we used to have in the East End for that last game.  

We need to make it one of those special occasions that people remember for ever.  This can then be used as an example of 'that's what our new home end needs to be like' for when the stand is redeveloped. 

Couldn't agree more, we also need to find out soon when the last game in there will actually be.

A colourful, loud, packed to the rafters Eastend is what is required for this one, I've already started blowing up the beachballs... 

Who set the Terms Of Reference for Lord Chief Justice Taylor? He was charged not just with conducting an inquiry into Hillsborough, but also with finding ways of making football grounds safer (NB: not sports grounds, just football grounds) and also "Introducing the gentrification of the game". In other words getting rid of the likes of you & I and replacing us with family stands & corporate boxes.

Watching the Forest v WHU game, a large proportion of the fans behind the goal to the right of the screen are standing and no one is telling them to sit down.

As I said in my original post 22A:

"However, with the events at Hillsborough and the unnecessary loss of 96 lives combined with Skys dominance of TV coverage, and their influence in decision making within our beautiful game, the sport I love has changed, and personally, I fear, not for the better." 

The rights and wrongs in the aftermath of Hillsborough have been discussed on many a forum, 

Justice,has been won, not just for the 96 Liverpool souls, but for all law abiding football fans from the '80s and '90s who were tarnished as drunken hooligans.

I fear more damage has been, or is being, done by Sky and it's obsession with the Elitist Premier League, and within this, their unhealthy adoration of the big Four.

Memories?

Fighting alongside mates and total strangers as if my life depended on it, to ensure no-one could ever claim they took the East End.

Getting punched, kicked and butted by some of our lot. who were too pissed, high, or pumped up with adrenalin to distinguish friend from foe! You'd have though the red scarf was a clue!

Seeing three scrawny City kids fighting like demented banshees and tearing apart a big mixed-race Tottenham fan and his ugly side-kick, who couldn't get out fast enough and were rescued by police.

I also remember some of the games others have mentioned earlier.

The opening game of that season with Sunderland was a cracker. It was the first time I saw large numbers of skinheads from both sides standing toe to toe in the East End. The fierce mash up with Chelsea took place by the wall adjoining the Grandstand.

Other memorable occasions in late sixties/early seventies, when opposing fans were "allowed" into the East End, include Millwall, Birmingham, Sheffield Utd, Wolves, Leicester, Liverpool, Leeds and Portsmouth.

The mighty Manure never made an attempt on the East End. Their UK-wide followers were content to pack themselves into the Open End, make a lot of noise and seek safety in numbers. 

Couldn't agree more, we also need to find out soon when the last game in there will actually be.

A colourful, loud, packed to the rafters Eastend is what is required for this one, I've already started blowing up the beachballs... 

Got some fantastic memories from that stand and maybe we're just yearning for something that is now lost in football, but would be great to make that last game something REALLY, REALLY SPECIAL.

The East End deserves an amazing send-off.

Got some fantastic memories from that stand and maybe we're just yearning for something that is now lost in football, but would be great to make that last game something REALLY, REALLY SPECIAL.

The East End deserves an amazing send-off.

I vote for some substandard drumming and a load of kids running towards some netting.

It's the least the stand deserves.

Tottenham 76/77, middle block scattering to leave me and my 2 mates to face 50 or so of their lot, on our own........not good odds I can tell you.

The only time I have seen the EE leg it.

Chelsea when they were in the Dolman and decided to head for the EE......BIG mistake on their part.

Villa when they didn't even reach the terracing.

West Ham in the LC (Clyde Best scored for them), good battle that day.

Arsenal, Cardiff, Portsmouth & many others have come unstuck over the years.

But time must move on.....

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this one, but one of my best memories is of Joe Royle scoring 4 on his debut for City at the gate. I had just started 6th form and was being given more freedom to attend matches with mates - we always went in the EE for the atmosphere. The mixture of this with us signing a big name player and him scoring 4 (remember the header as if it was yesterday) was electric. Happy days...

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this one, but one of my best memories is of Joe Royle scoring 4 on his debut for City at the gate. I had just started 6th form and was being given more freedom to attend matches with mates - we always went in the EE for the atmosphere. The mixture of this with us signing a big name player and him scoring 4 (remember the header as if it was yesterday) was electric. Happy days...

Was at this game, best loan debut bar none

I loved the old stadium, but it's  gone already, around the time the seats went in.

All the posts above, well most of them concern a time when it was standing. Since it's been seated the atmosphere has been greatly reduced ( I was going to say gone but that wouldn't be completely true or fair) , It would be great to allow the EE open to City only and allow ST swaps so the place could be packed with red and white one last time.

Archived