IGNORED

The End Is Coming...

BUTOR

This one is for the "old un's"

1, 2, 3 (then swings on crossbar) Gibbo, Gibbo, Gibbo, Gibbo, Gibbo, sung to legendary keeper Mike Gibson.

Oh yes remember that well and many other great days and moments etched in the memory for ever :city:

I loved the old stadium, but it's  gone already, around the time the seats went in.

All the posts above, well most of them concern a time when it was standing. Since it's been seated the atmosphere has been greatly reduced ( I was going to say gone but that wouldn't be completely true or fair) , It would be great to allow the EE open to City only and allow ST swaps so the place could be packed with red and white one last time.

Sums up pretty much how I feel. Standing it was an awesome place. I appreciate the Taylor report forced it to be seated but it has never been quite the same for me. Hats off to those that have tried, and suceeded in some ways, to bring it back but the east end 'feel' went when the seats were put in for me. It will be very sad when it is levelled all the same.

Someone who knows the truth help us out please.i'm not convinced by this article and did n't even hear of loan signings until the 80's.

We used the loan system in the 70's for several players. Joe Royle came in on loan first, scored four while on loan in his debut, then signed permanently and didn't score for about twelve games.

I loved the old stadium, but it's  gone already, around the time the seats went in.

All the posts above, well most of them concern a time when it was standing. Since it's been seated the atmosphere has been greatly reduced ( I was going to say gone but that wouldn't be completely true or fair) , It would be great to allow the EE open to City only and allow ST swaps so the place could be packed with red and white one last time.

You can swap your season ticket place several times a season on the phone. People are doing it to get away from that bloody drummer.

Perhaps attendees on the day could speed the destruction along by ripping the bloody things out? Make it nice an old school.

Sixty Years watching City, i can only remember standing in the East End a couple of times.

I used to stand on the open end (crackers corner).

I remember a blind chap being fed info about the game, god he used to shout.

Then i moved above the Tunnel where the players used to enter the pitch.

About twenty five years ago i got a Ticket in the Dolman Stand.

Many good experiences, but overall many poor seasons.

Come on you Reds.  :clap:

Sorry to disagree with 99% of the previous posts, but they illustrate why the Wedlock has to go. Everyone seems to remember having a good punch up but those days have long gone. Amazing as it may seem to some of the East Enders, but a lot of people actually go to football these days to actually watch the match.

If City is not going to be a team that is forever floating between league 1 and league 2 (and possibly the conference) then the old dump of the Wedlocks has got to go.

I understand that point somewhat from saturday.

i was stood in the car park waiting for my dad and we looked at the back of the Wedlock and my brother goes "seriously, look at that stand. It's a sh*thole isnt it now? Concrete blocks and corrogated rusting iron...."

We need to move on. Keep the memories for those that have them but move into the 21st century with a well designed, tidy ground.

A thousand fading memories, from big John Galley & Chris Garland, to the normal Saturday afternoon mayhem throughout the 70's.

Young un's today haven't experienced putting your life on the line most Saturday's in the 70's, it was the way it was......and we had a team to be proud of!

It was a real adrenalin rush of anticipation every week, and we were all in it together.

Cardiff would always be in there, and hearded into the corner, and would be sat on the wall above the turnstiles, and kept there by the old bill, and mayhem all afternoon.

Even remember the Gas having a right go one night.

Also Rovers scarves on open display when Man Utd and the big boys came to town, to join forces to repel the invaders, and vice versa!

Practically every London club back then would have a go plus Pompey, Leeds and the normal suspects.

I was in the Park End that night Tottenham were packed into the East End in the biggest numbers I ever saw.

They were marched around the pitch and put in the Park End, and were still coming out of the East End as they were filing into the other end, hundreds of the buggers.

I think they'd still be there now if the old bill hadn't of moved them, with due respect.

I remember another classic incident with a gobby, I think Pompey fan being led around the pitch, being hit by a scolding pie in the earole!

Talking of Pompey, still remember vividly Clive's goal that took us to the promised land, then losing at home to Notts County 3 days later!

Joe Royle's 4 against Boro.

Donnie Gillies knocking Phil Bowyer spark out, with the play down the other end. Classic.

Never really ventured in there again much after the plummet through the divisions, as we'd moved on to the Park End, and then the Enclosure, for our entertainment.

Also remember with fondness, it was never even a slight issue of admission fees to get in, unlike the ridiculous price today.  

I can still smell the cigarette smoke, and atmosphere crackling through the air!

Sorry to disagree with 99% of the previous posts, but they illustrate why the Wedlock has to go. Everyone seems to remember having a good punch up but those days have long gone. Amazing as it may seem to some of the East Enders, but a lot of people actually go to football these days to actually watch the match.

If City is not going to be a team that is forever floating between league 1 and league 2 (and possibly the conference) then the old dump of the Wedlocks has got to go.

Which is a shame really.

All I want is a place to stand where I am dry, nothing else, apart from a toilet.  Forget your tea, coffee etc - I'd been hundreds of times over twenty years before I bought refreshments at AG during a game.

The rest of it I don't care about on a personal level.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of people that need more than the East End can offer so I accept it has to go.

We need to move on. Keep the memories for those that have them but move into the 21st century with a well designed, tidy ground.

^^^^^

THIS.

My / our memories are just that, memories. The EE is no longer good enough and has to be replaced, I reckon we all know that. It will be a sad day when it's gone regardless of the fact it's had it's day. Alot of us grew up in there.

The chant I always remember was 'WE ARE EEEEEE-VIIILLLLL' booming out of there!

I remember a blind chap being fed info about the game, god he used to shout.

Come on you Reds.  :clap:

My Dad told me about the blind man. City offered a seat in the stand for the visually impaired and a commentator would sit alongside and tell them what was happening. This blind man however preferred to stand and shout comments such as "Cor look at that" or "That was a rubbish pass" etc. If anyone took offence and threatened to hit him one, the blind man's mates would turn on the abuser for picking on a blind man.

^^^^^

THIS.

My / our memories are just that, memories. The EE is no longer good enough and has to be replaced, I reckon we all know that. It will be a sad day when it's gone regardless of the fact it's had it's day. Alot of us grew up in there.

They must be decent memories I am sure.

I showed my father and uncle that youtube of the ground I posted on here and they both seemed genuinely sad at what isnt there anymore.

Though to someone my age it looks friggen terrible! :)

They must be decent memories I am sure.

I showed my father and uncle that youtube of the ground I posted on here and they both seemed genuinely sad at what isnt there anymore.

Though to someone my age it looks friggen terrible! :)

TBH Red Ox, to me it looks terrible now. I'm just glad it's going to be replaced with something half decent rather than the abortion of a stand the club were going to put there a few years ago. That was horrible!

No one is disputing the fact it shouldn't go, just commenting on how to give it a special send off and posting some memories in there.

Very ignorant post.

Edit: Deleted that last bit, don't want this thread to turn into a Eastend vs Dolman etc etc debate

A thousand fading memories, from big John Galley & Chris Garland, to the normal Saturday afternoon mayhem throughout the 70's.

Young un's today haven't experienced putting your life on the line most Saturday's in the 70's, it was the way it was......and we had a team to be proud of!

It was a real adrenalin rush of anticipation every week, and we were all in it together.

Cardiff would always be in there, and hearded into the corner, and would be sat on the wall above the turnstiles, and kept there by the old bill, and mayhem all afternoon.

Even remember the Gas having a right go one night.

Also Rovers scarves on open display when Man Utd and the big boys came to town, to join forces to repel the invaders, and vice versa!

Practically every London club back then would have a go plus Pompey, Leeds and the normal suspects.

I was in the Park End that night Tottenham were packed into the East End in the biggest numbers I ever saw.

They were marched around the pitch and put in the Park End, and were still coming out of the East End as they were filing into the other end, hundreds of the buggers.

I think they'd still be there now if the old bill hadn't of moved them, with due respect.

I remember another classic incident with a gobby, I think Pompey fan being led around the pitch, being hit by a scolding pie in the earole!

Talking of Pompey, still remember vividly Clive's goal that took us to the promised land, then losing at home to Notts County 3 days later!

Joe Royle's 4 against Boro.

Donnie Gillies knocking Phil Bowyer spark out, with the play down the other end. Classic.

Never really ventured in there again much after the plummet through the divisions, as we'd moved on to the Park End, and then the Enclosure, for our entertainment.

Also remember with fondness, it was never even a slight issue of admission fees to get in, unlike the ridiculous price today.

I can still smell the cigarette smoke, and atmosphere crackling through the air!

I get plenty of these stories from my old man but please keep posting them because as a lad in his early 20's it's great to read.

I love the Eastend just the way it is.

First went in EE v Oxford in our league cup run when we got to the semi's, main memory is of the Liquidator being played and everyone joining in with the clapping. Tim still plays Liquidator but sadly only about three people are brave enough to do it now.

Pongo88 , I think you've missed what a lot of people are doing on this thread. There's a lot of reminiscing for earlier days but I don't think anyone has said that the EE  should stay as is . I was in favour of AV , might have been a little sad if it had happened but that's progress, or would have been.

The new stand(s) is very much needed but even with safe standing the atmosphere will never match the EE from 60s-70s and 80's in full voice/surge  as someone said in a previous post, it was a bit of a thrill the first few time YOU managed to start a song/chant. 

No one is disputing the fact it shouldn't go, just commenting on how to give it a special send off and posting some memories in there.

Very ignorant post.

Edit: Deleted that last bit, don't want this thread to turn into a Eastend vs Dolman etc etc debate

You are entitled to your opinion but my my comments were not a "very ignorant post". (Ignorant means uneducated , rude, impolite etc). The original post was about celebrating memories and it started a thread about how wonderful the punch ups were! I didn't read the bit that you deleted about the Dolman, but whatever it was , it's irrelevant. Although I now sit in the Dolman I used to stand in the Wedlock for many years. Personally when it comes down I don't think there is anything to celebrate as it should have gone 20 years ago.

I don't know, imagine 40 years from now, some new grandparent telling his grandson or daughter.

'Tsk, you don't know you're born with your modern virtual football, when I was a lad. on the occasions when City scored, I got to run 3 feet to my left towards a NETTED AREA' - 'Trust me, it was bonkers. We got within 30 feet of the visiting fans, with only a couple of blocks of empty seats, a row of stewards, a few police and CCTV keeping us apart (as well as the safety netting) ....' 'There was this one time on a Tuesday night when we played Shrewsbury at home - Yes! That Shrewsbury - the same one who've won the last 3 EuroLeagues, well they came down with about 30 fans and when we scored an equalising goal, we ran at the net and one or two of their supporters looked in our general direction - it was MENTAL!'

One of my memories of the East End is driving past it in June 2005 on my way to Bristol Airport to go on holiday, believing it was going to be demolished whilst I was away. Was very surprised and happy to see it still standing when I returned!

Crystal Palace play off semi also has to be a great memory. Standing on the side of the pitch and being told off for holding onto the goal net in the dying seconds.

Archived