IGNORED

Why Does Bristol Never Build Anything -Bbc Article

Stewbold

It is possibly the case that some wading birds have been displaced, but there is still a LOT of mudflats around the city, the area that was in the docks is insignificant, and either way new wildlife areas have been created.

But yep, Cardiff is less likely to let a few birds hold up progress, and rightly so. We are still the greenest city in the UK (proportionately) and Bute Park would provide life to a range of wildlife in Cardiff that simply doesn't exist in Bristol City centre.

Aww c,mon...you sound like a councilor spouting total blox...dont get me wrong, baadiff is a cool village wiv a big .....ah shit, you got me x

Bluebirds fly and Red Dragons fly but I'm not sure that a dragon is a bird. :thumbsup:

Of course, the main difference between a Welsh dragon and a Chinese is that only the Welsh one has wings.

I've seen a horsefly and y ddraig goch fly,

But I've never seen a Chinese dragon fly.

Bristol, a divided city.

Divided by boundaries. Include the neighbouring authorities into the true city and you'd have a strong collective voice. Divide them by artificial boundaries and you have two weakened voices.

It's because of those boundaries that we had greenbelt on a former tip. There was nowhere else to have greenbelt within the city's boundaries, which had to meet government legislation at the time.

Divided by politics. No one party has ever had the political clout to force their ideas/plans through council, without doing a deal with minority parties/independents, only for any decision to be overturned with the inevitable change of councillors every couple of years.

Divided by geography. There's a definate north south divide, with most developments and investments happening to the north of the city. There's a them and us divide, with those in the more affluent areas quite happy with their lot. "why do we need an arena or whatever", when we can drive to Cardiff/Brum in our nice 4x4 BMW or Audi. There's an up there and down there divide, it's called the Park St, which keeps us down in broadmead and the centre and them in Clifton, Redland, Cotham and Kingsdown.

As for the BBC, they are part of the problem. They love it that Bristol shoots itself in the foot and then reports on it. Or as has been stated that they desert the city which gave them success in some programmes, only to take the money from Wales and relocate. Or it organizes a debate into whether there should be a TVG or stadium, when the only people that could possibly benefit from such a debate, were those opposing the stadium and the media. Why the club ever agreed to partake in such a publicity stunt for the opposition I don't know, perhaps that's typical of Bristol and more fuel for the BBC, no club representation = no debate. We already had the required permissions.

Divided by football. I remember the statement from W D and H O Wills, when asked why they ploughed money into sponsorship of the power boat racing in the docks and not to any of the football teams, the reply was that they thought it unfair to sponsor only one team. Then years later, St Jon Wills is investing in STFC, what a joke! all his wealth earnt from south Bristol and spent in ferkin Swindon.

As for the BBC, they are part of the problem. They love it that Bristol shoots itself in the foot and then reports on it. Or as has been stated that they desert the city which gave them success in some programmes, only to take the money from Wales and relocate. Or it organizes a debate into whether there should be a TVG or stadium, when the only people that could possibly benefit from such a debate, were those opposing the stadium and the media. Why the club ever agreed to partake in such a publicity stunt for the opposition I don't know, perhaps that's typical of Bristol and more fuel for the BBC, no club representation = no debate. We already had the required permissions.

Divided by football. I remember the statement from W D and H O Wills, when asked why they ploughed money into sponsorship of the power boat racing in the docks and not to any of the football teams, the reply was that they thought it unfair to sponsor only one team. Then years later, St Jon Wills is investing in STFC, what a joke! all his wealth earnt from south Bristol and spent in ferkin Swindon.

The majority of BBC employees are middle class parachutists that have been parachuted into Bristol and into well paid BBC jobs. They are not from Bristol and they care little for Bristol and Bristolians. As for W D and H O Wills, they could have ploughed money into us and the Gas without any complaints.

Good shout.....now ploding their trade in Cardiff....snuff said

The majority of BBC employees are middle class parachutists that have been parachuted into Bristol and into well paid BBC jobs. They are not from Bristol and they care little for Bristol and Bristolians. As for W D and H O Wills, they could have ploughed money into us and the Gas without any complaints.

Good shout.....now ploding their trade in Cardiff....snuff said...Dr. ****** Who..!

They mostly live north of the river, apart from the few green party supporters that reside in Southville and call in favours to help their cause.

Wills/Imperial could still invest, as their HQ is a stones throw from AG. They choose not to. Instead, their legacy to south Bristol is, the highest rates of lung cancer in the country, due to the free fags for employees.

They mostly live north of the river, apart from the few green party supporters that reside in Southville and call in favours to help their cause.

Wills/Imperial could still invest, as their HQ is a stones throw from AG. They choose not to. Instead, their legacy to south Bristol is, the highest rates of lung cancer in the country, due to the free fags for employees.

The time of milk and honey for the BBC's middle class employees will soon end with the BBC being exposed as nothing more than a propaganda news and views agency at local, national and international levels.

The time of milk and honey for the BBC's middle class employees will soon end with the BBC being exposed as nothing more than a propaganda news and views agency at local, national and international levels.

Why  do you call yourself "RED" Goblin ? :innocent06:

Why  do you call yourself "RED" Goblin ? :innocent06:

.....if I supported the Gas maybe I'd be a "BLUE" Goblin. :shifty:  Nothing political or even football related, some girls on Chessels Street called me a 'Red Goblin' when my Mother was pushing me in my pushchair in the late '60s. I had a red hat like the red goblins in a comic book of that period.

God knows what that dozy Greenpeace bint is talking about, but then they don't like to think in economic and business terms. Quite ironic that so called 'progressives' are desperate to keep Bristol stuck in it's current form! That being said, Bristol is doing well, but could certainly be so much more if big projects were able to get off the ground. The Bristol/Bath area has so much potential.

As for Cardiff, like others have said, it's needed those big facilities and venues, and is a capital city. All very well having lots of parks but that doesn't make it beautiful-I work in MK and there is a lot of green open spaces, doesn't stop it from being a soulless place. Bristol may have fewer parks but The Downs, Brandon Hill and Ashton Court are all very good! Plus, in this country, there is plenty of 'sacred' green spaces in the countryside...

Good old Auntie Beeb, - the broadcasting organisation who in recent years have not been slow in relocating much of its highly successful Bristol based productions (inc Casualty , Being Human etc.. ) across the Severn to brand new state of the art Cardiff studios.

Cardiff now the home to many high profile (& city income generating) BBC series - Dr Who for one.

We still host their world famous Natural History Unit (I think??) and a few bits and bobs, but the Beeb readily grabbed the opportunity to dig into a nice pot of Welsh arts/broadcasting gold, facilitated by Welsh Development Agency funding which in turn was/is largely (if not wholly) funded by grants from tax payers via Westminster.. & defect across the bridge.

Anyway tv & film is still surviving in Bristol & is still the home of the brilliant Wallace & Grommit :thumbsup: & of course talking of 'bankers' Noel Edmonds dream factory - Deal or No Deal ;)

Sadly when it comes to meaningful potential development in Bristol the outcome more often than not is NO DEAL! :grr:

But it's actually moved its entire knowledge and learning department and much of radio to Bristol. There are now more people on that site than when Casualty was filmed there,

Good point about the rediculous multi council boundaries cutting into the city. If they could at least work together we might have a hope.

Reality is the city cant even get park and rides in the right place. Long ashton and the bath road being too far in and nothing at the top of the m32.

That will draw in serious visitors. We close our poxy ice rink and turn it into student flats!

As South Glos develops this is exactly the type of facilities I expect (on smaller scale).

Meanwhile in Bristol, any spare cash is spent on being "A City of Sanctuary" and being "Green capital of the year".

Archived