IGNORED

Why Does Bristol Never Build Anything -Bbc Article

Stewbold

I lived in Bristol for 3 decades before moving to South Glos, I simply became fed up of living under BCC governance, I only moved a mile away but thw difference is very notable. There is many bad parts in north Bristol too such as Southmead, Henbury, Lawrence Weston etc. These are the forgotten areas by BCC. I got a view of concord out of my window, is that not historic enough for you? Where I live is surrounded by filton, patchway, stoke gifford and Cribbs and there is little open space and as i'm already surrounded by areas and fully aware of the ongoing developments i'm not fussed. If I wanted rural I would have moved somewhere else but I moved herw for conveinence and thats what I have got.

The new developments at the airfied are exactly what I refer to when south Glos gets all the good bits. It has given permission to ridding us of one part of Bristols great history in the quest of the filthy lucre. Bristol loses it's aircraft industry foundation (airfied), gets lumbered with more traffic and south Glos picks up the rates from the new houses. I know it could be said that the airfield is in south Glos but, without the workers from Bristol it would not be there, they couldn't build it in the centre could they?

Enjoy your conveniences.

The new developments at the airfied are exactly what I refer to when south Glos gets all the good bits. It has given permission to ridding us of one part of Bristols great history in the quest of the filthy lucre. Bristol loses it's aircraft industry foundation (airfied), gets lumbered with more traffic and south Glos picks up the rates from the new houses. I know it could be said that the airfield is in south Glos but, without the workers from Bristol it would not be there, they couldn't build it in the centre could they?

Enjoy your conveniences.

Personally i'm against th3 closure of the airfield it was a sad day when it closed, the airfield has rail links and close to motorways. It should have been made into Bristols main airport many moons ago However this was made impossible as the houses built to house the workers of Filton in Patchway kicked up a stink about the noise from the airport.

The airfield closed after GF was appointed Mayor, he promised to look at it but surprise surprise didn't And the closure was allowed to go ahead under the rader. Filton airfield could have been good for Bristol and South Glos but both allowed it to be closed.

Unfortunately now there is a big growth industry here...Student flats!?! At least the arena is on course tho and AG is beign redeveloped but ice rink...student flats, old Bridewell, student flats, old part of BRI was it, student flats and on and on and on. Do we need so many!

.and Froomsgate house,  the old magistrates court opposite.. 

One of the factors that stops Bristol being modernised is the influence of incomers from the South East who think Bristol will be "Lymeswold-on-Avon" and do their damnednest to keep it that way. See, for example, SAFE and TRASH (although the latter was organised by an incomer from South East Australia :o

Bristol is now a very rich City. House prices are crazy and the influx from the South East shows no signs of abating.

There is a sort of economic apartheid going on as native Bristolians get pushed further out of the city and people with money from the South East buy up the properties.

I live in Windmill Hill, where this sort of thing is rife. My next door neighbours moved out last month after 17 years in a house they rented but couldn't afford to buy. Pretty soon I reckon the number of people who originate from Bristol in my street will be in single figures..

Agree Graham. I still think the problem not insignificantly lies with the mismanagement of the city by the Local Authorities. 

Anywhere close to the city centre will always be a premium, but there is an added premium because the Council have ruined local transport in and out of Bristol from surrounding areas and then recently further compounded the problem as RPZ's are preventing people who work in the city centre from parking closer to work. The Council then charge extortionate prices for their own owned car parks or only offer short term stays, particularly on pay and display. 

They were more interested in turning the city centre and Cabot circus into such a retail hub that they took their eye off making it accessible for workers. Now we have to pay through the nose to have the privilege of simply working in Bristol. 

You only have to look at what they did with the transformation of the Harbourside. Sold all the land to developers and now all we have are commercially run car parks charging us through the nose... There's not even ample parking for the properties around there! 

Left Bristol last year for Wiltshire. Sick of paying well over the odds for rubbish property in St Paul and Easton. In the end became  priced out. My rent is now under half of what I was paying there.  I love Bristol but will not be coming back. 

Be glad you didn't rent in Bath. Talk about extorninate rents...

I own a flat in the Old Market area. I got in at the right time as I paid £87k for it 5 years ago and the girl in the flat upstairs has just sold hers for £140k! Her flat is much smaller than mine as mine is extended out the back, so mine must be worth £150k or more.

Despite that being good news for me, I think it is disgusting that house prices can rise like that. No locals can afford to live in the areas they grew up in and are forced ever further away. I like my flat but it's madness that it is now worth so much.

I own a flat in the Old Market area. I got in at the right time as I paid £87k for it 5 years ago and the girl in the flat upstairs has just sold hers for £140k! Her flat is much smaller than mine as mine is extended out the back, so mine must be worth £150k or more.

Despite that being good news for me, I think it is disgusting that house prices can rise like that. No locals can afford to live in the areas they grew up in and are forced ever further away. I like my flat but it's madness that it is now worth so much.

Many people want to live in the City. Everywhere is handy and within walking distance or a short bus ride. 

It's A classic example of supply and demand. 

Bristol is now a very rich City. House prices are crazy and the influx from the South East shows no signs of abating.

There is a sort of economic apartheid going on as native Bristolians get pushed further out of the city and people with money from the South East buy up the properties.

I live in Windmill Hill, where this sort of thing is rife. My next door neighbours moved out last month after 17 years in a house they rented but couldn't afford to buy. Pretty soon I reckon the number of people who originate from Bristol in my street will be in single figures..

If you took a survey of most people who live within 3 miles of the city centre, most would be not from here.  I had a massive group if friends, a few still there,  most were from outside of the city.  Only 2 out of about 20 were born here.

It's a popular city to live and work in.  But because of this, it's become very expensive.  Long gone are the days when I had a place in Guinea Street in Radcliffe for 30 quid a week.

Anyway,nice to visit once a month. I love it even more now that u don't live there.  

Many people want to live in the City. Everywhere is handy and within walking distance or a short bus ride. 

It's A classic example of supply and demand. 

That's exactly why I moved here. The desire to be able to walk anywhere in the city can't be anymore now than it was 5 years ago though.

I'm lucky, I am on the ladder and with the increase in my property price I will be able to afford to move on. I feel so sorry for kids though who will never be able to buy their own place or who will have to rely on the death of a relative to be able to do so.

concord was designed and built in south gloucestershire

No it wasn't, lt was designed and built in Filton, which at the time was Gloucestershire. It later became NorthAvon before after about 20 years becoming South Gloucestershire. Sorry to be pedantic.  It was built at the B A C, Bristol aeroplane Company,  if it weren't for Bristol that whole area would not exist.

..and this has what has signalled the student flat boom. Well that and the excess empty office buildings in Bristol - all the old student houses in Redland, Clifton and surrounding areas have been bought up or more money is found outside of the student lets.

The area around Froomsgate and Bridewell did need a refresh so in a way it's not a bad thing that they are building there.. 

Bristol is brutally handicapped by having half its area taken up by the Toytown councils. Every other city has been expanded to its natural boundaries - but not Bristol :(

This is all down to the Tory gerrymandering that created the unloved County of Avon :grr:

No it wasn't, lt was designed and built in Filton, which at the time was Gloucestershire. It later became NorthAvon before after about 20 years becoming South Gloucestershire. Sorry to be pedantic.  It was built at the B A C, Bristol aeroplane Company,  if it weren't for Bristol that whole area would not exist.

i was born in patchway and when i was born it was south gloucestershire and when I was about seven I saw concords maiden flight so read your history.

i was born in patchway and when i was born it was south gloucestershire and when I was about seven I saw concords maiden flight so read your history.

I've lost count of the times I was fishing in Nailsea Pond and Concorde would fly over on test flights, sometimes scarily low.  In later years you could set your watch when it flew over Nailsea enroute London from New York (12:30pm).

It was the only plane you could hear at that altitude.

Saw it again arrive in Sydney and the whole City just stopped to watch.

Reddoh,Avon was formed in 1974, prior to that Filton and Patchway was Gloucestershire, the area you talk of was indeed in south Gloucestershire but , just as in north somerset it was not an administrative area, as it is today. Don't talk rubbish and accuse others of not knowing their history when you obviously don't know yourself.

Bristol can be anything it wants to be, however not with the incumbent Mayor, Get rid of him and progress our great City

Well said. Too many like him are adamant in their policies of regressing the city. 

I just hope the election is greeted with actual intent by the populace and not the same frustrating apathy that is so characteristic, especially of the "new age" bristolians. 

Well said. Too many like him are adamant in their policies of regressing the city. 

I just hope the election is greeted with actual intent by the populace and not the same frustrating apathy that is so characteristic, especially of the "new age" bristolians. 

Bristol has come on leaps and bounds over the years. Now it seems that it is  stagnating because of the idiots running the City, It is a City that has everything in it's favour. As for "New Age" Bristolians most of those arrived because Daddy could afford the Uni here. The reality is that 99% of them will bugger off and not care a toss.  FFS lets let the City progress into what in can realistically become which is No 1 in this nation

Reddoh,Avon was formed in 1974, prior to that Filton and Patchway was Gloucestershire, the area you talk of was indeed in south Gloucestershire but , just as in north somerset it was not an administrative area, as it is today. Don't talk rubbish and accuse others of not knowing their history when you obviously don't know yourself.

my library tickets said south gloucestershire, sorry I dont still have them to prove it

Bristol has come on leaps and bounds over the years. Now it seems that it is  stagnating because of the idiots running the City, It is a City that has everything in it's favour. As for "New Age" Bristolians most of those arrived because Daddy could afford the Uni here. The reality is that 99% of them will bugger off and not care a toss.  FFS lets let the City progress into what in can realistically become which is No 1 in this nation

Not true I'm afraid. I understand that we have the highest retention rate for graduates in the country. Probably because Bristol is ace. I reckon 99% of grads buggering off is well wide of the mark and it's the retention that pushes up the prices due to higher demand as someone has said.

On another note the planners in the city haven't been planning for a long time and I mean in the wider urban area not just BCC. South Glos are the worst, but N. Somerset too. Examples include the village green, Bradley Stoke, Emerson's and more recently the forgotten unparished borough of Kingswood. Happy to go through my issue with all of those if required but it's primarily based around diabolical transport. 

Personally I'd rather we had one unitary authority for the urban area responsible for transport, planning and housing. I believe this is something the current govt is keen to promote, as in Manchester. As a south Glos resident though I'd much rather be part of Bristol City based on what I call progress over the last few years.

Archived