IGNORED

Why Does Bristol Never Build Anything -Bbc Article

Stewbold

Bristol has come on leaps and bounds over the years. Now it seems that it is  stagnating because of the idiots running the City, It is a City that has everything in it's favour. As for "New Age" Bristolians most of those arrived because Daddy could afford the Uni here. The reality is that 99% of them will bugger off and not care a toss.  FFS lets let the City progress into what in can realistically become which is No 1 in this nation

They haven't buggered off though. Ferguson, the merchant venturers, Sustrans, the ridiculous amount of Green Party influx on the city, all perennial thorns in the side of taking Bristol to the next level. 

Far are too many of the people with the power picture Bristol as being this conceptual "big village society", where middle class Charlie's can reside and bike their way to their cosy jobs until retiring with several properties in southville and Clifton. There's no progressive thinkers or action people in the most important positions of power. Just idealists and people who frankly should never have reached office in then first place (FERGUSON)

I've spent the last 2 weekends in Cardiff and Swansea. As much as it pains me to say and Being honest these areas are much nicer than Bristol. There is a good balance between new and old. The Cardiff bay area is fantastic. If only Bristol did that on the harbourside instead of building offices and apartments. Then of course there is the Millennium Stadium/Cardiff Stadium/Liberty. The gower coast is stunning. Only downside is you have to go through Port Talbot to get to it. Really enjoyed sitting on the coast in some nice resturants watching rhe sun go down. Then of course everywhere you go in Wales you are surrounded by history. They seem to embrace the past present and future where a all these nee bristolians want it to stay as it is. This isn't even a new thing either as they have bloody castles everywherre so even all those years ago they were still out developing us. Really considering moving over there now.

The comparison I give you is Cardiff and Weston. Pretty much opposite each other. One place the tidr is never in and is run down and just like Bristol things get talked and talked and debated about but never built ( what's the latest with the tropicana?) (And Dolphin Square? ) full of drug users etc etc yet opposite there is the fantastic Cardiff with all its great facilities. How come two areas almost identical in geography be so totally different? It must be the mindsets of the people in power.

The comparison I give you is Cardiff and Weston. Pretty much opposite each other. One place the tidr is never in and is run down and just like Bristol things get talked and talked and debated about but never built ( what's the latest with the tropicana?) (And Dolphin Square? ) full of drug users etc etc yet opposite there is the fantastic Cardiff with all its great facilities. How come two areas almost identical in geography be so totally different? It must be the mindsets of the people in power.

umm MILLIONS in taxpayers money helps!

What Barrs Court Red said, and of course Cardiff is a capital city so to compare it with W-s-M is hardly on the money. 

Many people want to live in the City. Everywhere is handy and within walking distance or a short bus ride. 

It's A classic example of supply and demand. 

Exactly this.  Those being criticised for moving from the South East are probably priced out in the areas they are coming from.  Those of you priced out of your area and moving elsewhere are pricing out people where you end up.

Unfortunately we need millions more houses in an already chronically overcrowded island.

Re Wales they have had really, really significant EU funding. Wales qualifies for 'structural funding' which has enabled a lot of the regeneration work and capital projects. Then there's the adage of build it and they will come.

It's only set to continue too perhaps - I think Wales has agreed a further £2bn of capital funding for the coming 5 years also.

The new developments at the airfied are exactly what I refer to when south Glos gets all the good bits. It has given permission to ridding us of one part of Bristols great history in the quest of the filthy lucre. Bristol loses it's aircraft industry foundation (airfied), gets lumbered with more traffic and south Glos picks up the rates from the new houses. I know it could be said that the airfield is in south Glos but, without the workers from Bristol it would not be there, they couldn't build it in the centre could they?

Enjoy your conveniences.

You are right, South Gloucs seems to get some rather good stuff. Look at Aztec West for example...I am talking jobs and that here, if I recall TSB moved from Bristol City Centre out that way? Cannot help but feel we're going down the wrong path.

Bristol has come on leaps and bounds over the years. Now it seems that it is  stagnating because of the idiots running the City, It is a City that has everything in it's favour. As for "New Age" Bristolians most of those arrived because Daddy could afford the Uni here. The reality is that 99% of them will bugger off and not care a toss.  FFS lets let the City progress into what in can realistically become which is No 1 in this nation

Someone else put it better than I but grads certainly stay on here in decent numbers. But Bristol interesting stuff in my last but one job it was notable how many or should I say few supported either Bristol team...about a handful out of 100 ppl or so in the company. This was right in the heart of Bristol in around Broadmead too!

Mixture tbh. But it was hard to find a City fan among em...quite a young workplace though, people tend to be or can tend to be more easily swayed by the glamour of the big teams at that age. Unless there were a few I didn't know about tho, excluding those who don't like football anyway, I could probably count on two hands at MOST maybe even one hand the number who followed one Bristol team or other.

Archived