IGNORED

So, What If We Took The Blue From The Gas...

RedM

No one is talking about changing our home colours, but our away strip (which has never been red so what are you on about). How will having a dark blue away kit be any worse than a yellow, purple, beige, lime green, or striped black and green. All those colors and kits are really love it or hate and would have impacted sales, I doubt a dark blue away kit would be a any worse seller than lime green.

I will not comment further, but as a City fan for four decades I would not welcome a new identity. The club I started supporting was Bristol City home and away not Bristol City one week then Bristol Sport the next.

"Tradition" means different things to different people which is natural. What is clear to me is that tradition is not a static thing. It changes and evolves over time.

My first match was in 1959 and a lot of things that were traditional then have totally changed. In those days the traditional East End was just called the covered end. It would have been unthinkable to name stands after beer - e g The Carling Atyeo Stand. It was also unthinkable, and against F.A. rules, to have any form of sponsorship on players' kit. 1950's supporters would have had a heart attack if they saw the current City kit.

Today "traditional" supporters don't have any qualms about the players running out onto the pitch looking like mobile advertising hoardings.

The only tradition that had remained unchanged is the food. I think some of the pies currently on sale are left over stock from the 50's

"Tradition" means different things to different people which is natural. What is clear to me is that tradition is not a static thing. It changes and evolves over time.

My first match was in 1959 and a lot of things that were traditional then have totally changed. In those days the traditional East End was just called the covered end. It would have been unthinkable to name stands after beer - e g The Carling Atyeo Stand. It was also unthinkable, and against F.A. rules, to have any form of sponsorship on players' kit. 1950's supporters would have had a heart attack if they saw the current City kit.

Today "traditional" supporters don't have any qualms about the players running out onto the pitch looking like mobile advertising hoardings.

The only tradition that had remained unchanged is the food. I think some of the pies currently on sale are left over stock from the 50's

I always thought that tradition was about things being done, habits passed down. City in red, Ashton Gate, a fondness for cider, Wurzel songs are traditions to me. According to some we now have traditions in not doing things. Things like not wearing blue. In all my years of having a beer in the DEH I have never heard a City fan ask for a pina colada. Is us not drinking pina colada a tradition now?

Not of course that we have never worn blue. Even discounting the 1909 cup final and the 2000 auto windscreen final we played in blue at Anfield (it wasn't purple, it was blue - look it up). And if that's not enough then look at the 2011-12 away kit: yellow shirts and navy blue shorts. Navy blue shorts - who cared?

SL's thought about dark blue away kit seems such a small thing to ask and I can't understand anyone making a big deal out of it. There is, I know, no point in my continuing to argue this so I won't - it's almost like a clash of religious beliefs.

What I will say to those who believe that blue away kit will be the end of Bristol City then prepare yourselves for all the changes that are coming our way:

- EE demolished

- AG will no longer be just ours - it will also be a rugby ground

- the pitch will have rugby markings on it

- there will be changes to accommodate the rugby mob - it will be their home as well

- when you phone up the ticket office it will be Bristol sport and you'll be asked 'football or rugby?'

- the club shop will have oval balls and all sorts of other cr@p in it

Cry quietly in a corner and wish for past times if you want but like's achanging and you can go with the flow or not..

Crappiest thread ever.

Fruits the lot of ya....red, blue, green, yellow, black....hows about cyan, or mauve? The colour of a shirt doesn't make a bean of difference while the club slips quietly into the abyss of non league football....but no lets move onto socks and shorts combo discussion

I think we're missing a vital point - what about colour co-ordinated laces? As it stands I think some of the players don't give this sufficient consideration

IF,,,,, and its a BIG IF...... a Bristol United comes to being then they could take the "Bristol" from Bristol Rovers and "City" from Bristol city and the "White" from the Gaskit and the "Red" from us and call themselves Bristol City and play in Red and white....

then its all fair

IF,,,,, and its a BIG IF...... a Bristol United comes to being then they could take the "Bristol" from Bristol Rovers and "City" from Bristol city and the "White" from the Gaskit and the "Red" from us and call themselves Bristol City and play in Red and white....

then its all fair

Please please please tell me Fodbarmyarmy you just didn't say that :-(

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/160833-most-overused-expressions-on-otib/

Unbelievable. This isn't the club I was brought up supporting. In fact this isn't a club at all, it's becoming a BRAND. The next few years look ugly off the pitch regardless of what's on it but if this happens then what next?

I and many others will be keeping a close eye on what other traditions are going to be smashed to pieces because I'm adamant I will not accept these changes like Cardiff have (other than a handful) and I know others won't either.

Unbelievable. This isn't the club I was brought up supporting. In fact this isn't a club at all, it's becoming a BRAND. The next few years look ugly off the pitch regardless of what's on it but if this happens then what next?

I and many others will be keeping a close eye on what other traditions are going to be smashed to pieces because I'm adamant I will not accept these changes like Cardiff have (other than a handful) and I know others won't either.

What traditions are being smashed to pieces ? Are you referring to the East End - you want it left alone, maybe just a lick of paint instead of being rebuilt ?

Go on then, what will you actually do?

I guess they have to talk about the traditions that have been smashed and their response, so I think he will first call a meeting to discuss what traditions have been smashed to pieces, then after a hour or two of head scratching and blank looks they will dissolve the meeting and grab a pint and some cheese and onion crisps wondering why the meeting was called in the first place because they all appear to be intact.

Your clubs soul is slipping away...........Blue away kit on its way...kit made by bristol sport.....club owned by Bristol sport.... ground  owned by Bristol sport....whats next? stadium to be called Bristol Sport Stadium?.. Bristol RFC to become Bristol Sport RFC? (the sold out to mitsuibishi shogan once before remember) ... then .... Bristol City Sport FC?.... be afraid ... be very afraid.....

Just kidding chaps  .... cant see you lot playing in Blue ever... and quite right too!

Out of interest, how would you run the club in the next 10 years off the pitch? What would you do with regard to stadium design for example

What traditions are being smashed to pieces ? Are you referring to the East End - you want it left alone, maybe just a lick of paint instead of being rebuilt ?

I will have a go at an answer.

Tradition is a broad church.

Once the use of blue kit was unthinkable, and was snuffed out by club employees like Bery Fudge. A employee there who was of legend status amongst fans.

I attended in the seventies and I have never seen a City team in a blue kit. That is forty years of tradition there. It could all change in the future, but it is also a form of behaviour [tradition] the likes of club stalwart Bery Fudge understood. A blue kit is taboo. Blue is Rovers.

Now with club elements under control of an umbrella organisation in Bristol Sport. Traditions from home kit, club badge [?], nickname, club anthems clearly could be altered to fit in with a Bristol Sport brandology.

There are plenty of things fans groups can organise from a boycott to a protest and plenty inbetween and there are significant numbers who would gladly join in with either - Let's get this straight, at this point nobody is proposing or planning or even suggesting any of these things but if this "Brand" plan decided to take the piss then Bristol City fans would not accept it.

Bristol City wearing Blue!? Blue is Rovers, home or away Bristol CITY should never be blue nothing Bristol City should be associated with blue. The Eastend is a wonderful place, I wish it could stay the same forever but that is clearly unsustainable and the club must be able to stand on it's own two feet and the meetings I and many others have attended in an attempt to get the best out of a new Eastend should hopefully keep some sort of Eastend heritige to it.

I guess they have to talk about the traditions that have been smashed and their response, so I think he will first call a meeting to discuss what traditions have been smashed to pieces, then after a hour or two of head scratching and blank looks they will dissolve the meeting and grab a pint and some cheese and onion crisps wondering why the meeting was called in the first place because they all appear to be intact.

Refer to the first answer regarding BRISTOL CITY potentially wearing a blue kit...some people will take a full portion from the powers that be - look at Cardiff, they've lost some core fans but they're still getting 25k at home - proof that plenty are sheep and will do what they're told when they're told it. I'm still adamant that Bristol City would not.

Out of interest, how would you run the club in the next 10 years off the pitch? What would you do with regard to stadium design for example

I've been part of the new Eastend/Wedlock plans as have plenty others and I am reasonably pleased with the new design. The rest of the stadium will also be a top facility for Bristol City and if used correctly could be the start of something better. I have given ideas in one to one discussions and emails to the club regarding extra revenue streams if the new stadium is utilised correctly as well as agreeing with the other former FP member who was successful in moving the boxes from the new EE to the revamped Dolman stand.

The most important thing to the majority of football fans across the world is tradition, identity and reputation - if just one person identifies Bristol City as "the team in BLUE" then that'll be the day I question the entire point of supporting my club...at what point does the club become a different club to the one you know and love?

I'm not blaming the Rugby, I've never been interested in Rugby but in my opinion it isn't their fault.

Bristol Sport need to clarify the entire situation because I will never support Bristol City Sport FC.

Archived