IGNORED

Sack Him

Randy Marsh

I think one things for sure from reading this thread. Who needs enemy's when managing Bristol City.

.....like I've written many, many times before, to be a Bristol City FC manager you drink from a poisoned chalice. Even Alan Dicks used to have to take shit at games and he took us back to the top flight of English football for the first time in 65 years.

.....like I've written many, many times before, to be a Bristol City FC manager you drink from a poisoned chalice. Even Alan Dicks used to have to take shit at games and he took us back to the top flight of English football for the first time in 65 years.

I wonder what Mr Harry Thickett (our 1909 FA cup run manager) would make of our current plight? Would he too be getting stick?

Then again I suppose it would be a case of whether he would actually understand the modern game?! ;)

Intelligence and managing a football club are not related.

You need to simply motivate and organise a team. With a little bit of basic tactics thrown in.

The smartest manager in the world could fail.

Not essential for our level but I expect fairly well linked the higher you go. I doubt someone with low intelligence has won major trophies.

Not essential for our level but I expect fairly well linked the higher you go. I doubt someone with low intelligence has won major trophies.

Ferguson wouldn't have made it into higher education yet he didn't do too bad.

Being an intelligent football manager is to do with knowing the game inside out, understanding man management and having the right instincts. It doesn't equate to IQ.

I have know idea how good Steve Cotterill's would be in a pub quiz - he'd be banned for talking too much I'd guess! - but I can't understand City fans concluding he's thick on the basis of his accent.

That's a rather peculiar form of self-loathing that seems unique to the West Country,

Being an intelligent football manager is to do with knowing the game inside out, understanding man management and having the right instincts. It doesn't equate to IQ.

I have know idea how good Steve Cotterill's would be in a pub quiz - he'd be banned for talking too much I'd guess! - but I can't understand City fans concluding he's thick on the basis of his accent.

That's a rather peculiar form of self-loathing that seems unique to the West Country,

He's from the West Country don't ya know .He may have mentionned it .

I'm reminded of G B Shaw's aphorism "No Englishman can open his mouth without making another Englishman despise him".

On a forum, of course, we cannot hear accents.  So we have to look for other clues ;)

You can't just sack a manager a few months into his 3.5 year tenure when hes done nothing wrong. I admit I found/find the appointment uninspiring, and really do doubt whether he is the person to take the club forward (nevermind the way the club has seemingly just dropped some aspects of it's new path). But surely it's time to just either support him, or just bite your tongue and at least support the team/club - club will hopefully always be here, the managers are just transient - there will be a new one along sooner or later.

Last season I saw big Joe Jordan in the Premier Seating of the Williams' Stand. I thought Joe Jordan was going to be our new manager even though SOD had only just been appointed.

I would love big Joe here as DOF but i think he would scare the bejeezus out  our board who prefer nice,cheeky chappy types to the hard nose barstard type.

Come and save us big man  :pray:

You can't just sack a manager a few months into his 3.5 year tenure when hes done nothing wrong. I admit I found/find the appointment uninspiring, and really do doubt whether he is the person to take the club forward (nevermind the way the club has seemingly just dropped some aspects of it's new path). But surely it's time to just either support him, or just bite your tongue and at least support the team/club - club will hopefully always be here, the managers are just transient - there will be a new one along sooner or later.

with us the emphasis will be on 'sooner' no doubt.

Last season I saw big Joe Jordan in the Premier Seating of the Williams' Stand. I thought Joe Jordan was going to be our new manager even though SOD had only just been appointed.

If only...

...has properties in Bristol (actually, not a la Curbishley). Apsley Rd in Clifton is one I am told, so probably just taking in a game while he was back here...

...used to serve him at least once a month when I worked in the Alma Tavern.

Should have begged him to come back then, but we were doing quite well at the time. :-)

It's not so much his accent.........more the way he waffles on, rather like a demented hairdresser with a sunburnt tongue.   He also appears to be trying to convince himself that if he keeps talking, eventually he'll start to believe his own proclamations.  You'll probably ascertain that I'm not a fan, and I was despondent when he was appointed.  I WILL continue to support Bristol City......I do not like the idea of him managing (sic) the club I support.......so the sooner he's gone the better.  But hopefully he'll surprise me, though I'm not counting on it

It's not so much his accent.........more the way he waffles on, rather like a demented hairdresser with a sunburnt tongue. He also appears to be trying to convince himself that if he keeps talking, eventually he'll start to believe his own proclamations. You'll probably ascertain that I'm not a fan, and I was despondent when he was appointed. I WILL continue to support Bristol City......I do not like the idea of him managing (sic) the club I support.......so the sooner he's gone the better. But hopefully he'll surprise me, though I'm not counting on it

I know what you're saying, if you were a donkey you'd fear for your hind legs when Cotta is in full flow.

Archived