IGNORED

The Rising Tide Of Discontent Aimed At Jet

Gene Hunt

I don't understand it. Logically it makes absolutely no sense.

The thing about Jay is he has never, ever played any differently. At the moment the only difference is he's not scoring goals. Why is it that when a player is off-form we feel the need to abuse them for things that aren't anything to do with form? 'You ******* lazy bastard JET' all game long from some around me. 

Obviously, his form at the start of the season was sublime. Arguably some of the best individual performances I've seen in a City shirt. He had all the skill and excitement that Albert or Jacki brought but added an end product of goals and assist too. Truly outstanding. To judge him on those magnificent standards is counter-productive. We knew when he signed that he was an enigma, the talent of a world class player but the consistency of a League 1 player. Surely that knowledge should inform us that abusing him is pointless?

He wasn't great yesterday, nobody was really (Pack, Burns and Baldock the only exceptions) but he still offered more than many in this division. He frequently beat the first and second man when taking on players, His delivery from the right wasn't great (Nobody ever seems to give any credit/leeway when players are on their weaker foot nowadays.) but he frequently went past players with skill, poise and balance befitting a player of his obvious class. The trouble once again was midfield movement. If we don't have runners for Jay to find, then what else can he do but keep going. Even Messi gets tackled when he has to dribble and has no options for passes.

Jay is a superb player and even at his worst for us has been our most consistent creative outlet. We're never going to get the carthorse style running that some fans would like. Jon Stead he is not. But, and it is an important but, we must give him our support as opposed to getting on his back.

Without JET's goals and assists we would be bottom and adrift. He kept us competitive in the first part of the season under O'Driscoll. We shouldn't forget that.

Personally I'd sooner have a player like Jay in our team over a player like Barnett who is just as 'lazy' as JET, without the ability. The way to get the best out of a flair player like JET is to give him options. The more options a player has the more avenues of attack he has. A runner takes a defender away, leaving more space for Jay to dribble into or shoot. An option wide (Like the work he did for Williams' goal helped by Baldock's movement around the box) gives him the chance to spread play or shimmy inside.

Midfield movement has been a problem not only at City but in the British game for far too long. Much as Barcelona, Munich etc are blessed with an abundance of individual, technically gifted players it is their off the ball movement that sets them apart from the rest and it is arguably the easiest thing for a coach to implement. Far too often our team are static, set up in a rigid formation which hinders creativity. Much as O'Driscoll was a failure at City, he did talk well about options being the most important thing in football. Even Cotterill spoke excellently on the subject when talking about goal-kicks at the Q&A recently. Hopefully he see's the issue soon and changes it up, as without movement we will forever be slow paced going forward.

It makes me laugh how people define "work rate" as the amount you run when you don't have the ball. I'd be interested to know how many miles JET has run with the ball at his feet vs any other player.

It's cringey. Most talented player we've had in years and people are screaming that he's dropped for a player like Tyrone Barnett - or even that we should play a player in the u21s that they would've never seen play before!!!!

The problem is that JETS form trailing off coincided with SOD leaving. JET always had one or two moments a game of brilliance. No more, if a player provides so little for several games it is time to be dropped. The only question is who for? Barnett? No! Shipping out Taylor was a big mistake in my opinion, big mistake.

Bottom line is he has done nothing since SOD left, yes he has talent but we don't see it enough. We are in no position to accommodate passengers which he certainly was yesterday and has been for a few months.

Spot on.

Since ODriscoll left JET has looked disinterested and his goals have pretty much dried up. Without those goals his place in the team must be under serious threat.

It will be no surprise if he doesn't start at Bramell Lane next saturday.

The problem is that JETS form trailing off coincided with SOD leaving. JET always had one or two moments a game of brilliance. No more, if a player provides so little for several games it is time to be dropped. The only question is who for? Barnett? No! Shipping out Taylor was a big mistake in my opinion, big mistake.

So if Taylor was here you'd play him instead of JET?

can-t-believe-it-o.gif

So if Taylor was here you'd play him instead of JET?

For me Taylor is one of the most underated players I've ever seen play for City. He was never an outstanding player but he consistently did his job and did it well. Yes, I'd rather Taylor than JET on JET's current form. People seem to want Barnett to start over JET and see JET dropped, well Taylor is definitely better than Barnett.

For me Taylor is one of the most underated players I've ever seen play for City. He was never an outstanding player but he consistently did his job and did it well. Yes, I'd rather Taylor than JET on JET's current form. People seem to want Barnett to start over JET and see JET dropped, well Taylor is definitely better than Barnett.

He's a striker. He scored 2 goals in 39 games.

Cotterill hasn't been able to get the best out of Jet. He inherited a player who he seems afraid to drop as he might just have a match turning moment of brilliance. Trouble is he hasn't much else to twist with so he crosses his fingers and sticks. Last time Jet was benched it made him hungry again, for a while. He must know he's guaranteed a starting place, that's not good for any player or team.

(from BBC News a min ago)  :rain:

" Its impossible to say whether this change in Jet stream is manmade or due to climate change." 

How the ***** do the BBC know so much about our problems a BCFC - they dont have the answers though just like us they ask the questions.

So we're left to ponder change of management (climate change) or tactical (man-made) at fault or is it simply it is what is?

Nothing will change it and we must learn to enjoy the good days in the sun when they come along and wrap up warm and stop complaining against the elements when the wind & rain seems to be never ending.

The sun will come out tomorrow, bet yer bottom dollar!! . :sun:  ...it is what it is. 

(still cant understand the interest on BBC though  :dunno: )

It really wasn't a big mistake, considering he scored 2 goals in 40 games..

At the moment  i couldn't care less if either barnett or jet start again.

He's a striker. He scored 2 goals in 39 games.

We always played better last season with him on the pitch, and we played our best with him and Stead as a front pair. Now isn't the time to dwell on last season, only that football is a TEAM game. Look at Chelsea where their strikers are hardly scoring, they must be doing terribly as a team. 

Bottom line is he has done nothing since SOD left, yes he has talent but we don't see it enough. We are in no position to accommodate passengers which he certainly was yesterday and has been for a few months.

This. He's been absolutely anonymous in recent weeks and contributed very little in terms of goals and assists. You can't keep picking him based on his form a good number of weeks ago.

This. He's been absolutely anonymous in recent weeks and contributed very little in terms of goals and assists. You can't keep picking him based on his form a good number of weeks ago.

I can't believe what people are saying on this thread, Jet is not only our top scorer with 18 goals, he's also got more assists (11) than anyone else, ie he's been involved in 29 of our goals this season. Also, he's scored 4 since SC took over.

It's no coincidence that Baldock's been getting more goals under SC since JET has had a different role, acting more as a provider.

Why do some of our supporters always have to have someone to moan about, now Fontaine's not playing it looks like another scapegoat has to be found when the team doesn't perform well?

I can't believe what people are saying on this thread, Jet is not only our top scorer with 18 goals, he's also got more assists (11) than anyone else, ie he's been involved in 29 of our goals this season. Also, he's scored 4 since SC took over.

It's no coincidence that Baldock's been getting more goals under SC since JET has had a different role, acting more as a provider.

Why do some of our supporters always have to have someone to moan about, now Fontaine's not playing it looks like another scapegoat has to be found when the team doesn't perform well?

and how many goals have been conceded on the counter attack after one of JETS lazy balls or shit pieces of skill?

We're also in the shit, partially because we play every game with 10 men for 85 minutes, so concede a lot. 

It's not having to have someone to moan about.

I'm a big fan of (in form) JET, but I think he looks considerably out of sorts lately. I'm just commenting on what I see. He looked a different player under O'Driscoll.

I don't manage to get to away games so I can only comment on what I see when I'm at AG.

Seems to me the same people slagging off JET are the ones who praised no goal Taylor. Very perverse and that mindset is part of the reason we are near the bottom of League One.

JET is a victim of his own success, similar to Gary Johnson in some ways. At his worst he is still more effective than the likes of Taylor, or Bryan or Burns at their best.

Barnett passed a horrendous ball across the backline to an opposition player yesterday. Some bloke behind me shouted '***** sake Thomas, you're shit.' Sums up too much of our fan base I'm afraid.

We always played better last season with him on the pitch, and we played our best with him and Stead as a front pair. Now isn't the time to dwell on last season, only that football is a TEAM game. Look at Chelsea where their strikers are hardly scoring, they must be doing terribly as a team. 

Yep, that's just who we're missing.. Ryan Taylor :facepalm:

Oh, it's Jet's fault we've conceded so many goals & here was me thinking it was our shyte defence  

That too, but if you know your defence is vulnerable, you have to compensate and JET does not help one bit. Playing with 10 men most of every game is not how to aid a poor defence. I'm not asking him to track back, I'm asking him to occasionally move into space to receive the ball, so when we do win it back we keep it for a bit, he expects it just to arrive at his feet. 

Archived