IGNORED

"i'm A Winner."

Rule The Waves

No, he was asked which English coaches he admired.

There is a difference, and SOD may well be a good coach, but demonstrated that for us he was not a good manager.

It should also be said that earlier in the interview Rogers also mentioned Harry Redknapp as somebody he greatly admired as a manager.

He wasn't manager.

But in terms of this thread all he has said is, he's a winner, and if he's a winner, that means we are too.

I (a) don't see what SC has ever done to deserve such hostility and (b) believe it is in our interests to support him.

The performance of the team Saturday in the Managers words was abysmal.

The performance level of the team in the last two months has been frequently poor. The performances at Wolves and Brentford were very poor and pathetic. Brentford the team was only that on name. Fans left Griffin Park angry.

At Ashton Gate the team is often bossed by the opposition, the defence appears to be getting worse despite the "Winners" obessession with centre halves. the XI has left thd first forty five minutes in the dressing room, the form of JET, Reid and Bryan has deserted them, tactics are baffling, players inhabit positions were they are clearly not happy ... I could on but don't want to mention those pillars.

The perception is there that Mr Cotterill is a bullshitter. He can change that.

Rodgers had a shaky start, the first 5 games or so, then he got his act together, bought some great players like Sturridge and finished 7th.

SOD on the other hand, had a shaky 8 months, bought in some tripe like harewood and shorey and played a big part in our relegation (where I still blame Mciness, but SOD hardly helped)

If Rodgers won 3 games in 27 would he still be in the Liverpool job??

He wasn't manager.

Very true. However, according to JL there is no difference between a Head Coach and a Manager. It's just a title according to him and Sean just "preferred" Head Coach.

Ably illustrating our board's fantastic wealth of footballing knowledge there. No wonder SOD failed, SC will fail and we are in freefall.

Think they were after 5 games.

Yes and after 3 games in 1976/77 we were second in the old First Division - what a lost opportunity.

In fact weren't we top after 11 minutes of this season?

He wasn't manager.

Not in name but think you will find one of his roles was to manage. If not the board sacked the wrong man.

The performance of the team Saturday in the Managers words was abysmal.

The performance level of the team in the last two months has been frequently poor. The performances at Wolves and Brentford were very poor and pathetic. Brentford the team was only that on name. Fans left Griffin Park angry.

At Ashton Gate the team is often bossed by the opposition, the defence appears to be getting worse despite the "Winners" obessession with centre halves. the XI has left thd first forty five minutes in the dressing room, the form of JET, Reid and Bryan has deserted them, tactics are baffling, players inhabit positions were they are clearly not happy ... I could on but don't want to mention those pillars.

The perception is there that Mr Cotterill is a bullshitter. He can change that.

Wouldn't agree or disagree with any of that none of it is any part of my point. It's just your opinion and at least you haven't resorted as many others have, of hammering OUR manager with counter productive personal insults.

Rodgers had a shaky start, the first 5 games or so, then he got his act together, bought some great players like Sturridge and finished 7th.

SOD on the other hand, had a shaky 8 months, bought in some tripe like harewood and shorey and played a big part in our relegation (where I still blame Mciness, but SOD hardly helped)

Ah yes, the Bristol City managers job and the Liverpool managers job. They are both jobs, and that's where the similarities end.

7th is hardly a great finish for Liverpool, missing out on Europe alltogether. They could've fired Rodgers on the back of that, others have certainly been given their marching orders for a lot less.

Probably not, but he was given another window to bring in players like Coutinho and Sturridge. Players who's careers had stalled at arguably bigger clubs.

Liverpool won more points from January to the end of the season last term than most other teams in the Prem yet still only finished seventh. That's the point, he started badly and results weren't good enough but instead of panicking he was given time because performances suggested the team would improve. Sean's results were shite but performances were getting there and with time there is a realistic argument (especially when using the BR comparison) that his ethos could still have kicked in with his young squad.

Many Liverpool fans were not taken with BR immediately and it took boardroom strength to ensure he had the time to implement his theories and ideas on the team over an extended period to see the results.

Sod didn't really get that and often it takes a lot of time for a manager who aims at long term success to bring the squad up to speed tactically. SC is a short term manager by his own admission but still isn't bringing the side up to speed tactically.

Ah yes, the Bristol City managers job and the Liverpool managers job. They are both jobs, and that's where the similarities end.

7th is hardly a great finish for Liverpool, missing out on Europe alltogether. They could've fired Rodgers on the back of that, others have certainly been given their marching orders for a lot less.

I'm fact Dalglish was given his marching orders for a similar finish a League Cup trophy and an FA cup final only the year before.

After ploughing through 7 pages of "im right your not", i can only come to this conclusion:

If we could of/can play some winning football for a sustained period, this thread wouldnt be happening.

I never really liked Gary Johnson as a footballing personality but he produced positive results for a period and i got on board and enjoyed the ride.

Amazing how a decent result(s) can change the focus of the masses. After the Orient result if SC had said im a winner and i like my players to be too, like they were tonight, again, i don't this thread would be happening.

Yes and after 3 games in 1976/77 we were second in the old First Division - what a lost opportunity.

In fact weren't we top after 11 minutes of this season?

Not in name but think you will find one of his roles was to manage. If not the board sacked the wrong man.

Wouldn't agree or disagree with any of that none of it is any part of my point. It's just your opinion and at least you haven't resorted as many others have, of hammering OUR manager with counter productive personal insults.

You may have a point there!

I agree- we weren't good that day. Yet we still dominated the whole game and were pretty much robbed. They came for a draw and got all three.

When you compare that to the game just gone when Sheff Utd 'should have been very tired' and we should have been fresh - we got smashed. Not even in the game against a side around us in the table.

I guess we just saw it differently. We never looked like we'd score a goal, dominated possession but had just one good chance up the other end. United's strategy was to sit back and play on the break. They were a shyte side back then before their confidence was up but it was always possible they would get a break through: put it this way, I was always more nervous during their attacks then I was excited during ours - such as they were.

Anyway, Cowshed is quite right that I haven't gone to an away game since September and I cannot fully comment on the team's recent form. What I would say is losses on the road at top sides like Wolves and Brentford are a bit easier to shrug off than a loss in Sheffield which does seem to be something of a new low.

Home again on Saturday, let's see how the team responds.

No, he was asked which English coaches he admired.

There is a difference, and SOD may well be a good coach, but demonstrated that for us he was not a good manager.

It should also be said that earlier in the interview Rogers also mentioned Harry Redknapp as somebody he greatly admired as a manager.

Semantics.

Semantics.

Not meant to be semantic.

Depends on how you are defining coach. I see it as out on the training pitch, teaching, tactics maybe.

Management on the other hand is people skills, leadership, inspirational qualities.

If SOD was good at both we wouldn't have been headed for a second relegation.

Not meant to be semantic.

Depends on how you are defining coach. I see it as out on the training pitch, teaching, tactics maybe.

Management on the other hand is people skills, leadership, inspirational qualities.

If SOD was good at both we wouldn't have been headed for a second relegation.

Equally if Cotterill was good at both we wouldn't be heading for a second relegation? I mean, the bloke clearly can't coach.

Equally if Cotterill was good at both we wouldn't be heading for a second relegation? I mean, the bloke clearly can't coach.

Full marks for perseverance but wrong again.

SC has 17 points from 14 games which pro rata is 56 over a full season and comfortably enough to stay up.

Unfortunately he is still clawing us away from the position he inherited, unless you think he is somehow to blame for SOD's record which incidentally was a pro rata equivalent of 36 points and relegation by a country mile.

Or to put it another way, SC accumulates 55% more points per game than SOD.

Other than the "we would have won a game eventually" argument, I fail to see how anyone can criticize SC yet defend SOD.

SC has 17 points from 14 games which pro rata is 56 over a full season and comfortably enough to stay up.

Unfortunately he is still clawing us away from the position he inherited, unless you think he is somehow to blame for SOD's record which incidentally was a pro rata equivalent of 36 points and relegation by a country mile.

Other than the "we would have won a game eventually" argument, I fail to see how anyone can criticize SC yet defend SOD.

Do those stats include SOD's "honeymoon" period too? We did pretty well in his first 10 games, skews the average somewhat. 

Some people just choose to ignore his pathetic record.

Because the performances under SC are worse. Especially now the initial honeymoon period is over.

Some more statistics for you to add to your list there.

We are no further away from the bottom of the table than under SOD yet now have a worse goal difference.

SC has only bettered the result achieved by SOD in one game since coming here. The 3-1 win over Orient.

SC has shown himself to be inept in the transfer market, El Abd having contributed to the destruction of what was beginning to look like a solid defence.

In all honesty, this has nothing to do with SOD (AGAIN) simply, that SC is not good enough. I'm not pining for the reinstatement of SOD, he's gone and I'm over it. I just don't like seeing false claims plastered over the internet as some kind of justification for the very poor manager we have now.

Because the performances under SC are worse. Especially now the initial honeymoon period is over.

Some more statistics for you to add to your list there.

We are no further away from the bottom of the table than under SOD yet now have a worse goal difference.

SC has only bettered the result achieved by SOD in one game since coming here. The 3-1 win over Orient.

SC has shown himself to be inept in the transfer market, El Abd having contributed to the destruction of what was beginning to look like a solid defence.

In all honesty, this has nothing to do with SOD (AGAIN) simply, that SC is not good enough. I'm not pining for the reinstatement of SOD, he's gone and I'm over it. I just don't like seeing false claims plastered over the internet as some kind of justification for the very poor manager we have now.

Yes SOD was not inept by bringing in Harewood and Shorey was he? 2 wins out of 18 a disgrace of a stat.

Yes SOD was not inept by bringing in Harewood and Shorey was he? 2 wins out of 18 a disgrace of a stat.

Who were signed on shot-term deals, not for 3 and a half years.

Also, SOD got more points in his opening 14 games than SC did. It means nothing, but so is the case for the person going on about points per game ratio of Cotterill & O'Driscoll. As has been stated numerous times, SC has bettered only ONE result compared to O'Driscoll, whilst meanwhile, we look far less of a team - more disorganised at the back (no surprise when we're playing a back four of purely centre-backs), Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan are barely playing, JET is now playing in a system that doesn't suit him (not a very clever thing to do when he's our best player), and El-Abd has been brought in at the most unnecessary of times (a bit like Cotterill himself).

This is not an agenda. I cannot hide my frustration at how stupid the board were in sacking O'Driscoll and I won't deny that going by his past record, I do not rate Cotterill at all, but I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

Is 2 wins in 12 acceptable?

Of course not. With all this SOD vs SC crap going on I think we're all missing the point here, the players are the ones who should be getting a lot of the slack, that's now two managers they've underperformed for.

Look at the defending for the goals against Sheff Utd, completely comical. Especially the 3rd goal..

Also no ones mentioned since Osbourne has got a contract he's been dreadful..

Archived