IGNORED

"i'm A Winner."

Rule The Waves

SOD was very hard to like as a person IMHO. A distant, sniffy, sub-audible droning Midlander with pseudo intellectual pretensions and a habit of getting his excuses in first. Other than on this board, I've yet to meet anyone with a good word to say about him. And that includes casual supporters, diehards and - yes - club employees.

But that's neither here nor there. To paraphrase Churchill, they don't have to be nice, they have to right.

As NickJ points out correctly, Sean's record was atrocious and you'd not be able to point anywhere in the leagues to find a manager who survived such a terrible run.

As for the first point: SC wasn't my first choice either, but what does that prove? We don't vote in our managers - thank God - and I doubt, say, Alan Dicks would've been the popular choice.

I'm sick and tired of every thread turning into an SC v SOD civil war. Most posters said last season you couldn't judge SOD on a few months, FFS show some consistency and do the same to Cotterill. The bloke hasn't been here 3 months yet!

Why then, in your response to nibor's post which is 100% about SC, is the first word "SOD"?   :facepalm:

Other than on this board, I've yet to meet anyone with a good word to say about him. !

Arsene Wenger?!

Robbo, I think you and I disagree fundamentally about SOD, and probably always will, but you're dead right about the constant SC v SOD thing. It's divisive, and it's completely pointless because at the end if the day no-one will ever know what would have happened if Sean had stayed, and we'll never know what would have happened if Steve had been able to start this season with the sort of clear out that Sean had.

There's still room for comment and for views on SOD (and that's where you and I will differ), for comments on SC (which tend to differ depending if we've won!) and on the board (where I think you and I have more in common, at least as far as the constant churn of managers and lack of a coherent plan is concerned).

But what's really pointless is playing one against the other. "....well at least he's not as bad as the other...", " I like a therefore b must be bad." stuff. They're different people, and they have different strengths, and neither is all good or all bad. Clearly Sean was uncomfortable facing the media in a way Steve isn't. Sean got the best out if JET in a way Steve hasn't. And so on.

Shame? Come off it. My opinion is that Cotterill was a terrible appointment. There are loads of reasons for that, some of which aren't for the public domain, but there are two that are absolutely fundamental:

None of the opinions about the manager affect the support shown for the team however, so where you get the idea of shame from I don't know.

I've highlighted the bit which in terms of criticism I think is perfectly reasonable, its your opinion, and BTW there are justifiable question marks raised by many over the competence of those doing the appointing, but that's a different much bigger issue.

But you made it into my Hall of Shame for the sentence "he's not very bright", its also your opinion but personal insults are unnecessary.

Mind you, yours was quite mild compared with egotistical tosser, penis, clown, etc.

Not saying SC is a good manager, not saying a crap manager, but IF he's a crap manager he's OUR crap manager, so get behind him and the players unless you WANT division 4 football.

The Hall of Shame:

Haha, superb. If pointing out that Steve Cotterill has been guilty of spouting b******* in the media throughout his managerial career gets me a place in the 'hall of shame' then at least I won't be lonely as I'm hardly unique in pointing that out.

By pointing it out, I'm not even making any judgements or criticising his personality let alone not supporting him in his task to keep us in this tinpot league . Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho have been known to chat complete and utter s*** in the media, surprisingly I wouldn't doubt their managerial ability or not support them in some parallel universe in which they're managing City.

However, yes after witnessing what I think maybe the worst performance I have ever seen from any City team (what an achievement that is) his 'I'm a winner' comment greatly irritated me. What does it mean? What is it achieving? It's just a pointless, futile comment which serves as nothing more than a soundbite to try and distance himself from the players on the pitch who, by implication, are losers.

'We were abysmal today. That's tough to take because I'm a winner'. Well I guess the good news is that I found that performance pretty damn hard to take, so I guess that makes me a winner. Excellent news. Equally, I was stunned to see David Moyes come out last night saying 'We were abysmal, but fortunately I'm a loser, so it's pretty easy to take'. This isn't City fans who didn't want him here having some sort of agenda, going through Twitter Saturday night there was people, from supporters to journalists, from many different clubs laughing at Cotterill, and by association City, because what a cringeworthy comment it was.

I'll tell you why that performance should hurt Steve. It should hurt because anybody who backs their ability to manage any football team (as Cotterill clearly does and I have no problem with that), let alone our aimless rabble, must be questionning that ability after a team they are in charge of serves up that horror show. Not because you're a 'winner'. I'd be slightly disappointed if I was thrown the job and my team performed like that, let alone a somebody who's profession is football manager.

I'm being naive of course, but I want reasons why were so bad, why Sheffield United were able to make it look like a cup tie against a team 4 tiers above us, why El-Abd is playing so poorly if he is someone that is good to enough to deserve a 3.5 year contract, why he has a fullback on the bench and another on the wing while he plays centre halves in their positions, what he is going to do to make sure that a- we improve this week and b-how that never happens again. That's what I want, not some arrogant soundbite that makes him sound like nothing other than a bang average lower league manager with ideas well ahead of his station.

I'll be honest, I didn't want him here when he got the job, but I am doing my very best to not judge him earlier than I would someone who I wasn't against and in fact from time to time I have actually found myself defending him to people who I won't give him any chance. As much as his interview Saturday irritated me, I don't actually care that much about what any manager says when a microphone is shoved infront of him ten minutes after watching his team get totally and utterly embarrassed.

What I do care about is from the Wolves game onwards (and I would actually say since the Watford cup game at home), with the notable exception of Leyton Orient we have been absolutely ******* dreadful. There have been or two steady enough performances since the turn of the year that have earned us draws and of course we managed to nick the Carlisle game, but we have been abysmal. As someone I know said the other day, you leave a game thinking that's as bad as you've ever seen, and then the following week, almost without fail, it is even worse. After we won a game against Carlisle that we did not deserve to I posted a relatively positive post on here saying that although we had been dire in that game, winning a game like that in which we didn't deserve to could do us the world of good going forwards. Fast forward 3 days and Coventry spend the opening 45 minutes taking the **** out of us.

As I posted a few times when SO'D was coming in for abuse though, targeting any of our managers and laying all the blame at their door is a rather futile operation and doesn't get to the root of the problem which is why, as a club we seem to be rotten? It is all far too easy to decide in our heads that Millen, McInnes, O'Driscoll and Cotterill are all hopeless (as well as most of the players they have all signed) and maybe one or two of them are, but what are the chances of them all being so?

There has to be a much bigger reason as to why we endlessly fail.

Haha, superb. If pointing out that Steve Cotterill has been guilty of spouting b******* in the media throughout his managerial career gets me a place in the 'hall of shame' then at least I won't be lonely as I'm hardly unique in pointing that out.

By pointing it out, I'm not even making any judgements or criticising his personality let alone not supporting him in his task to keep us in this tinpot league . Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho have been known to chat complete and utter s*** in the media, surprisingly I wouldn't doubt their managerial ability or not support them in some parallel universe in which they're managing City.

However, yes after witnessing what I think maybe the worst performance I have ever seen from any City team (what an achievement that is) his 'I'm a winner' comment greatly irritated me. What does it mean? What is it achieving? It's just a pointless, futile comment which serves as nothing more than a soundbite to try and distance himself from the players on the pitch who, by implication, are losers.

'We were abysmal today. That's tough to take because I'm a winner'. Well I guess the good news is that I found that performance pretty damn hard to take, so I guess that makes me a winner. Excellent news. Equally, I was stunned to see David Moyes come out last night saying 'We were abysmal, but fortunately I'm a loser, so it's pretty easy to take'. This isn't City fans who didn't want him here having some sort of agenda, going through Twitter Saturday night there was people, from supporters to journalists, from many different clubs laughing at Cotterill, and by association City, because what a cringeworthy comment it was.

I'll tell you why that performance should hurt Steve. It should hurt because anybody who backs their ability to manage any football team (as Cotterill clearly does and I have no problem with that), let alone our aimless rabble, must be questionning that ability after a team they are in charge of serves up that horror show. Not because you're a 'winner'. I'd be slightly disappointed if I was thrown the job and my team performed like that, let alone a somebody who's profession is football manager.

I'm being naive of course, but I want reasons why were so bad, why Sheffield United were able to make it look like a cup tie against a team 4 tiers above us, why El-Abd is playing so poorly if he is someone that is good to enough to deserve a 3.5 year contract, why he has a fullback on the bench and another on the wing while he plays centre halves in their positions, what he is going to do to make sure that a- we improve this week and b-how that never happens again. That's what I want, not some arrogant soundbite that makes him sound like nothing other than a bang average lower league manager with ideas well ahead of his station.

I'll be honest, I didn't want him here when he got the job, but I am doing my very best to not judge him earlier than I would someone who I wasn't against and in fact from time to time I have actually found myself defending him to people who I won't give him any chance. As much as his interview Saturday irritated me, I don't actually care that much about what any manager says when a microphone is shoved infront of him ten minutes after watching his team get totally and utterly embarrassed.

What I do care about is from the Wolves game onwards (and I would actually say since the Watford cup game at home), with the notable exception of Leyton Orient we have been absolutely ******* dreadful. There have been or two steady enough performances since the turn of the year that have earned us draws and of course we managed to nick the Carlisle game, but we have been abysmal. As someone I know said the other day, you leave a game thinking that's as bad as you've ever seen, and then the following week, almost without fail, it is even worse. After we won a game against Carlisle that we did not deserve to I posted a relatively positive post on here saying that although we had been dire in that game, winning a game like that in which we didn't deserve to could do us the world of good going forwards. Fast forward 3 days and Coventry spend the opening 45 minutes taking the **** out of us.

As I posted a few times when SO'D was coming in for abuse though, targeting any of our managers and laying all the blame at their door is a rather futile operation and doesn't get to the root of the problem which is why, as a club we seem to be rotten? It is all far too easy to decide in our heads that Millen, McInnes, O'Driscoll and Cotterill are all hopeless (as well as most of the players they have all signed) and maybe one or two of them are, but what are the chances of them all being so?

Top ,top post bravo .

It must have taken you since Saturday to write it ;0)

Spot on, great post, well said.

I'm sick and tired of every thread turning into an SC v SOD civil war. Most posters said last season you couldn't judge SOD on a few months, FFS show some consistency and do the same to Cotterill.

You owe me a new keyboard, I just got coffee all over this one. Please refrain from absurd levels of hypocrisy in future!

The bloke hasn't been here 3 months yet!

I'm not judging Cotterill on 3 months as City manager.

By pointing it out, I'm not even making any judgements or criticising his personality

In point of fact your description was "egotistical bollocks" and in a separate post hilariously thought he was "50% David Brent 50% Mike Bassett".

In my judgment that is indeed making judgments, unnecessarily personal ones, on the guys personality.

Why would you feel the need to say those things?

And would you say them not on a computer as "bearded red" but in the same room, as you? No need to answer that one.

In point of fact your description was "egotistical bollocks" and in a separate post hilariously thought he was "50% David Brent 50% Mike Bassett".

In my judgment that is indeed making judgments, unnecessarily personal ones, on the guys personality.

Why would you feel the need to say those things?

And would you say them not on a computer as "bearded red" but in the same room, as you? No need to answer that one.

Again, superb.

'why would you feel the need to say those things?' You sound like an upset 13 year old. Are you ok?

And yes 'I'm a winner' is not only b******* (he's a manager struggling along in the third tier), but to go back to the David Brent comparison does sit along as being as egotistical as Brent describing himself as 'chilled out entertainer'. So yes, egotistical b*******. I personally can't see how that is even in doubt.

As for the '50% David Brent, 50% Mike Bassett' line I'm glad you found it hilarious, sadly I can't claim it as my own and full credit has to go to the Forest fan I copied it from.

And yeah fair cop, I probably wouldn't go and call him it if I was in the same room as him, but if I was next to him when he was being interviewed the other day I would happily have told him that referring to himself as a winner (funnily enough people like Martin Johnson let others give them that label) was 100% egotistical b*******.

You enjoy the game Saturday by the way?

You owe me a new keyboard, I just got coffee all over this one. Please refrain from absurd levels of hypocrisy in future!

I'm not judging Cotterill on 3 months as City manager.

I'd say the absurd hypocrisy is shown by those who bitched and moaned about quotes being taken out of context and character assassination of previous managers and are now happy to do so with this one.

As I said elsewhere, SC has been a success at some clubs, failure at others and somewhere in between at others. We don't know how he'll do here. You may have your theories, but you don't know.

Your post advances a hypothesis that I disagree with: namely that whoever is appointed manager needs to command some sort of majority support and that everyone has got to like them from the outset. Perhaps you can tell me which manager you have in mind who would meet these criteria?

I'd say the absurd hypocrisy is shown by those who bitched and moaned about quotes being taken out of context and character assassination of previous managers and are now happy to do so with this one.

If anybody was doing that it would indeed be just as hypocritical as your remarkable about face from vilifying the last manager to defending this one, or turning every thread into a dredging up of that particular history and then complaining about it.

As I said elsewhere, SC has been a success at some clubs, failure at others and somewhere in between at others. We don't know how he'll do here. You may have your theories, but you don't know.

His last and only success was at Cheltenham, 12 years ago. No theory involved in that fact. My prediction is that he won't succeed here. It's based on a lot of things not least the two points made above. It's obvious that nobody can know the future so I don't see why you make that point. The irony here is that even the cheerleaders for getting rid of the last manager can't find the confidence to predict success under this one. That's what happens with poorly thought through decisions.

Your post advances a hypothesis that I disagree with: namely that whoever is appointed manager needs to command some sort of majority support and that everyone has got to like them from the outset. Perhaps you can tell me which manager you have in mind who would meet these criteria?

It doesn't advance that hypothesis actually, that's an error of logic. It says divisive appointments are bad, unlikable appointments are bad and appointments which are both are terrible particularly in a relegation battle.

There's a big difference between appointing a manager more than half of your fans actually object to, and appointing a manager that is the top choice of less than half of your fans. Cotterill was the former, and because of that the fan base is anything but backing him despite our perilous position. There were any number of appointments we could have made that would have been far less objectionable. Likewise you confuse likeable and liked.

As for names, there were a number suggested at the time so please do go and read all those threads. It's moot now because the mistake is made.

If anybody was doing that it would indeed be just as hypocritical as your remarkable about face from vilifying the last manager to defending this one, or turning every thread into a dredging up of that particular history and then complaining about it.

His last and only success was at Cheltenham, 12 years ago. No theory involved in that fact. My prediction is that he won't succeed here. It's based on a lot of things not least the two points made above. It's obvious that nobody can know the future so I don't see why you make that point. The irony here is that even the cheerleaders for getting rid of the last manager can't find the confidence to predict success under this one. That's what happens with poorly thought through decisions.

It doesn't advance that hypothesis actually, that's an error of logic. It says divisive appointments are bad, unlikable appointments are bad and appointments which are both are terrible particularly in a relegation battle.

There's a big difference between appointing a manager more than half of your fans actually object to, and appointing a manager that is the top choice of less than half of your fans. Cotterill was the former, and because of that the fan base is anything but backing him despite our perilous position. There were any number of appointments we could have made that would have been far less objectionable. Likewise you confuse likeable and liked.

As for names, there were a number suggested at the time so please do go and read all those threads. It's moot now because the mistake is made.

I didn't vilify the last manager. I didn't like him and I thought he was bad for the club. However I think micro-analysing the post match statements of managers is pointless and a bit pathetic. I thought that in the past too.

Nice long post, Nibor.

Brendan Rogers was interviewed last night on talksport.

He was asked which English managers he admired.

First name he mentioned?

SOD.

Did he mention SC? I hear you ask...

No, he did not.

Why?

Because SC is not a considered, tactically minded manager who build success with a long term strategic vision.

SC flies in on a waft of cheap cologne, held up by strong hold hair gel and a firm jaw, clenched fists and a call to arms.

I am not an expert on football management, neither (believe it or not) are 99.9% of the posters on OTIB.

But Brendan Rogers IS.

And no I am not a Liverpool fan either.

And I beleive hes said this before. Nowt new in this

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, it begs the question: why the **** hasnt the misery loves me tactical genius known as SOD not walked straight into another job????????????????????????

After all, all the bottom feeding clubs are changing managers in the annual vain attempt to turn their shit seasons around...

You sound like an upset 13 year old.

So yes, egotistical b*******. I personally can't see how that is even in doubt.

As for the '50% David Brent, 50% Mike Bassett' line I'm glad you found it hilarious,

I would happily have told him that referring to himself as a winner.....was 100% egotistical b*******.

You can't help yourself can you, but, I put good money on you wouldn't even say that last one face to face, and if I were SC I'd invite you along and put that to the test.

In amongst the personal insults of your previous post there were some reasonable points but why you feel compelled to attempt to publically insult the man who is on OUR SIDE I'm sorry but I just cannot comprehend.

I didn't vilify the last manager.

I think many would beg to differ. You've even carried on kicking the horse for three months after it died.

I didn't like him and I thought he was bad for the club. However I think micro-analysing the post match statements of managers is pointless and a bit pathetic. I thought that in the past too.

I agree it's pointless. You don't need to micro analyse what Cotterill says to get the impression it's bullshit however.

Nice long post, Nibor.

Thanks. I find people tend to read / enjoy posts someone has put a bit of thought into. I do certainly.

SOD was very hard to like as a person IMHO. A distant, sniffy, sub-audible droning Midlander with pseudo intellectual pretensions and a habit of getting his excuses in first. Other than on this board, I've yet to meet anyone with a good word to say about him. And that includes casual supporters, diehards and - yes - club employees.

But that's neither here nor there. To paraphrase Churchill, they don't have to be nice, they have to right.

As NickJ points out correctly, Sean's record was atrocious and you'd not be able to point anywhere in the leagues to find a manager who survived such a terrible run.

As for the first point: SC wasn't my first choice either, but what does that prove? We don't vote in our managers - thank God - and I doubt, say, Alan Dicks would've been the popular choice.

I'm sick and tired of every thread turning into an SC v SOD civil war. Most posters said last season you couldn't judge SOD on a few months, FFS show some consistency and do the same to Cotterill. The bloke hasn't been here 3 months yet!

Agree 100% with ya there Robbo. I cant say I'm enthralled with SC, but who the hell in their right mind would wanna manage the shambles which is Bristol City now anyways. And to be fair we gave Millen, McInnes, and O Drosscoll more time than this incumbent has so far.

When you've got either of those problems you've got a bad appointment but both together in a relegation battle makes it terrible. The board dropped a giant 3.5 year bollock on this one and no amount of hypocritical forum defence is going to change that, particularly when results are pretty much unchanged, signings poor and performances maybe even trending downward.

Apologies however I missed the glaring error in the above, namely that results are in fact 55% better under SC, to date.

I think many would beg to differ. You've even carried on kicking the horse for three months after it died.

I agree it's pointless. You don't need to micro analyse what Cotterill says to get the impression it's bullshit however.

Thanks. I find people tend to read / enjoy posts someone has put a bit of thought into. I do certainly.

I said it was long, not enjoyable. Your posts are never that.

So, I beg to differ as to Cotterill's past. He is well regarded at Notts County and Burnley.

I can't be arsed to read your reply with this, since your last one veered from puerile characterisations of the manager to inaccurate statements about me.

Time this wanky thread was put to bed. Ta-ta.

You can't help yourself can you, but, I put good money on you wouldn't even say that last one face to face, and if I were SC I'd invite you along and put that to the test.

In amongst the personal insults of your previous post there were some reasonable points but why you feel compelled to attempt to publically insult the man who is on OUR SIDE I'm sorry but I just cannot comprehend.

You've got to be on a wind up haven't you?

You seem to be trying to paint this image that when it comes to personally insulting people I 'can't help myself' and then copy 4 lines when I haven't even done it?

If being told that you're chatting b******* of any kind is 'personally insulting' then I've been personally insulted more times than I care to remember without even realising. Bit upsetting. 

I assume you went around the forum picking people up the O'Drosscoll name that is even more hilarious than my David Brent/Mike Bassett comment?

Thanks for your comment that I've made some 'reasonable points' though. I guess one of us had to.

Archived