IGNORED

Mcinnes

Eco

Always amusing how people list out the same couple of players as 'evidence'.

I'm sure you aren't ignorant enough to not know the names of the many players that have come down from the Scottish leagues and currently play at a higher level than City find themselves at.

If that's aimed at me then I would suggest down the years their have been more than a fair few Scottish players who have plied their trade at a higher level than City find themselves at.

My comment wasn't necessarily about players playing for City

What about the likes of Alan Hansen, Gordon Strachan etc? Guess they didn't do nothing either. Some of the Scottish managers coming from such a poor standard of football didn't do too badly either in England.

Hansen and Strachan played 20 years ago.

What about the likes of Alan Hansen, Gordon Strachan etc? Guess they didn't do nothing either. Some of the Scottish managers coming from such a poor standard of football didn't do too badly either in England.

All recent players then?

Scottish football has been dying on it's ass for a long time. It used to be of a good standard but simply isn't anymore. Very very rarely do any players come over to play at the top level that aren't from Rangers or Celtic.

It kind of says It all you have to go back to 3-4 decades ago to name a few decent players..

And in modern times?? Best one I can think of is Graham Dorrans at West Brom, and Steven Fletcher at Sunderland, ones a championship player at best and the other has something like 1 goal in 25 games..

If that's aimed at me then I would suggest down the years their have been more than a fair few Scottish players who have plied their trade at a higher level than City find themselves at.

No, not at all. I actually agree with you.

Was more aimed at those who always think we should steer clear of Scottish football because we signed a couple of average players.

How I wish they could recognise the problem is actually within our own club and if our scouting and coaching had been better we could have plundered some very decent players from across the wall.

Anyway, congratulations to McInnes. Despite the overall level of the league, he's managing a bigger club, probably a better team of players and has done well.

Thet lost their best attacking player, Pawlett, before the game then Hayes, also a good attacker, early on which probably affected their performance today.

I watch Sportscene every week, they don't score a huge amount of goals but the players seem very committed and they have a bit of quality too, eg Barry Robson, Peter Pawlett, McGinn, Willo Flood.

Sounds like our Play off season. Weren't scoring tons of goals but we were solid and the 1 or 2 was all we needed. We seemed to cope with it as fans, I'm sure a cup win and a trip around Europe will sweeten the football on show for Aberdeen fans

wouldnt call Aberdeen ''bigger and better''

fact is he has gone back to a 1 club league (a league that has attendances of 2,000 at some games). I'd much rather play League 1/Championship football than SPL!!

a quick look at their history compared to ours shows they are a much bigger club than us.

They are in Europe next season, we are not. They might play in a poor league but can only beat whats in front of you. I dont know about you but I would much rather be winning trophies and in europe than struggling at the foot of league one ffs.

Credit to DMC, done well up there where many others have failed.

No, not at all. I actually agree with you.

Was more aimed at those who always think we should steer clear of Scottish football because we signed a couple of average players.

How I wish they could recognise the problem is actually within our own club and if our scouting and coaching had been better we could have plundered some very decent players from across the wall.

Anyway, congratulations to McInnes. Despite the overall level of the league, he's managing a bigger club, probably a better team of players and has done well.

All agreeable points but some wont accept the fact that the coaching and scouting network is sub par at this club.

I'm just happy to see Del happy again.He seemed a decent bloke who was out of his depth at our club. I'm sure he cared and must have been gutted to find it all going so wrong for him,and us, here. I'm glad he has found success elsewhere, it just wasn't meant to be for us.

a quick look at their history compared to ours shows they are a much bigger club than us.

They are in Europe next season, we are not. They might play in a poor league but can only beat whats in front of you. I dont know about you but I would much rather be winning trophies and in europe than struggling at the foot of league one ffs.

Credit to DMC, done well up there where many others have failed.

To be fair Scottish football is probably at its lowest standard at the moment. What with Rangers demotion, Hearts financial problems and Hibs who have been in decline for the last 3 seasons, it does not leave alot to beat. However well done to Del and i am one of the people who believe he will return South one day and be a success. 

It kind of says It all you have to go back to 3-4 decades ago to name a few decent players..

And in modern times?? Best one I can think of is Graham Dorrans at West Brom, and Steven Fletcher at Sunderland, ones a championship player at best and the other has something like 1 goal in 25 games..

Snodgrass, Darren Fletcher, McFadden (in his heyday) Naysmith? I don't disagree that Scottish football is in decline considering the wealth of talent they once had but there are plenty of players who would improve the current City side (not saying we should buy a load of SPL players)

Like ballwinningcentrehalf has alluded to, a better scouting network would've have helped identify better players north of the border if he chose to go down that route.. Del being an inexperienced manager could've done with a DoF to help him..

On the side of SPL players, one of our best players in recent years came from that very league ;)

Snodgrass, Darren Fletcher, McFadden (in his heyday) Naysmith? I don't disagree that Scottish football is in decline considering the wealth of talent they once had but there are plenty of players who would improve the current City side (not saying we should buy a load of SPL players)

Like ballwinningcentrehalf has alluded to, a better scouting network would've have helped identify better players north of the border if he chose to go down that route.. Del being an inexperienced manager could've done with a DoF to help him..

On the side of SPL players, one of our best players in recent years came from that very league ;)

I wouldn't mind that Jordan Rhodes in our team either.

Regardless of the standard of Scottish football, and whether our dad's bigger than Aberdeen's ur no, I believe that oor Derek is entitled this evening to stand before the press and assembled media (ie, a couple of pished blokes from the Scotsman, the Scottish Sun, and the Aberdeen Angus)and proudly state:

"I'm a winner."

However, I notice that this evening, following Spurs defeat by Arsenal, that Darren Anderton has described Tim Sherwood as "a winner" too, so what do I know?

Well done Del, glad to see he's making a success of it at Aberdeen. The Cup double is a realistic possibility too.

I'm confident he'll do well if/when he returns to English football. As much as he made mistakes (largely due to his inexperience and the tough job he had - no coincidence experienced managers like Coppell and O'Driscoll have also failed here), he equally demonstrated good characteristics whilst here. As has been said numerous times, the big mistake was not signing a defender in the summer.

All is done and dusted now though. Hope he continues to be a success elsewhere.

Several attendances under 2k in this league this season.

Been done many times before and no point in arguing with people who have an inflated view of the English Third Division - comparing it to the SPL is just laughable. But you are right, it will rumble on.

Its not an inflated view of the English Third Division - it's an accurate view of the SPL.

I watched bits of the game between the Sky games.

As per most things associated with Scottish football.. It's was pretty poor fare..

At best lower Championship level..

I get asked a lot why City sacked him..

I wasn't around for Dels reign, but from what I hear it wasn't best time to watch City..

But many managers fail & then head onto success elsewhere..

City was too early for Del, and as another poster pointed out.. I don't think he had total board backing..

To me I wish him well..

Really? We support Mcinnes even though he contributed to the demise of our club and BOTTLED it ?!

I'm sorry you feel that way.

No doubt he did his best here but it's extremely difficult to stop a club on the slide. You could explain how he 'bottled it' ?

McInnes was terrible for us. Just terrible. Ditto SOD. Glad to see the back of both of them and rather than congratulate DM, I would say why couldn't he do it for our club? SC has outperformed both of them already

Del was a nice bloke though and had a bit more character than SOD. That's probably why some see fit to give him a pat on the back every time Aberdeen win a game whilst forgetting just how bad he was for us.

Still the fact it was also bad under SOD makes most view Del's reign with rose tinted glasses and conveniently forget how bad it was.

Archived