IGNORED

Mcinnes

Eco

Omg, Aberdeen won a one off European trophy 30 years ago, what on earth has that got to do with D Mac Tbf to you, your consistent, your positing history under your various guises, show your total inability to recognise the fact that your beloved Del boy was totally out of his depth ! in all my years watching city I've never known a manager who could empty a ground at half time like he could !

No bigger than us at the moment? Sorry but they have just won a domestic cup and qualified for europe whilst we draw with Swindon and are at the bottom of league one. Christ i've heard it all now.

As others have pointed out - Scottish football is terrible. The domestic cup they won might as well of been the JPT. And they will be bowing out of Europe pretty quickly, I'd wager.

They're having a cracking season, best in years, we're having an awful one and still crowds are similar to them and we'll attract a better quality of player than them this summer.

We signed Ricky Foster off them FFS how much more convincing do you need??

Omg, Aberdeen won a one off European trophy 30 years ago, what on earth has that got to do with D Mac Tbf to you, your consistent, your positing history under your various guises, show your total inability to recognise the fact that your beloved Del boy was totally out of his depth ! in all my years watching city I've never known a manager who could empty a ground at half time like he could !

Whats Aberdeen winning a European trophy under Fergie got to do with DMC?? You made a point about Newport County qualifying for Europe which must have been even further back as teams who win the Welsh Cup cant qualify for Europe no longer.

In regards to DMC..He had to go, his position was untenable and he was out of his depth but who would've thought SO'D would do an even worse job?

Aberdeen indeed win the Cup winners cup in the early 80's, but it was a last gasp for Scottish football. Don't forget Celtic were the first British team to win the European Cup.

In those days, there were half a dozen Scottish teams that would have held their own in FL Div 1. Also, Scotland was a serious force in world football, rather than the joke it is today.

So, what happened? Money, basically. In the Scottish League and later SPL, it was all concentrated in the Old Firm, and the other clubs withered. There was more money in FL Div 2 and 3 and it's successors and that's where the better players went.

On the international scene, I doubt there's been a dozen Scottish internationals without joint English qualifications since WWII. Because of continual rumours about limits on foreign players in UEFA competitions, Big Clubs in the Prem want England-qualified players and that's where young players with dual qualifications go. Scotland, Wales and Norn Iron get the dross, with a few noble exceptions.

Result? SPL roughly equivalent to League One and Scotland on a level with Iceland in world football.

Aberdeen indeed win the Cup winners cup in the early 80's, but it was a last gasp for Scottish football. Don't forget Celtic were the first British team to win the European Cup.

In those days, there were half a dozen Scottish teams that would have held their own in FL Div 1. Also, Scotland was a serious force in world football, rather than the joke it is today.

So, what happened? Money, basically. In the Scottish League and later SPL, it was all concentrated in the Old Firm, and the other clubs withered. There was more money in FL Div 2 and 3 and it's successors and that's where the better players went.

On the international scene, I doubt there's been a dozen Scottish internationals without joint English qualifications since WWII. Because of continual rumours about limits on foreign players in UEFA competitions, Big Clubs in the Prem want England-qualified players and that's where young players with dual qualifications go. Scotland, Wales and Norn Iron get the dross, with a few noble exceptions.

Result? SPL roughly equivalent to League One and Scotland on a level with Iceland in world football.

The same will happen in Spain eventually, moneywise of course.

That could go the same for both the Johnson and O'Driscoll fan club ;)

Liked both but now both a footnote in Citys history, but as fans we are going to have our faves past and present.

Btw Aberdeen won the UEFA cup albeit under Fergie which is what people are trying to get across regarding club stature compared to a third rate English club.

Exactly my point. Aberdeens history stands out far more than ours. All we have done is reach an Fa cup final 100 years ago, been in the top flight for a small percentage of our history and won a few JPT's. We as a club are a failure, we have never won the play offs, been a very long time since we won a league yet we're a bigger club than Aberdeen according to some?

Someone mentioned the Scotish cup is the same as the JPT, to put it into perspective we would have been delighted to win the JPT but as it was we got knocked put early on and lets face it the JPT doesn't come with europa league qualification. Oh how we would all love to experience some european nights at the gate.

Exactly my point. Aberdeens history stands out far more than ours. All we have done is reach an Fa cup final 100 years ago, been in the top flight for a small percentage of our history and won a few JPT's. We as a club are a failure, we have never won the play offs, been a very long time since we won a league yet we're a bigger club than Aberdeen according to some?

Someone mentioned the Scotish cup is the same as the JPT, to put it into perspective we would have been delighted to win the JPT but as it was we got knocked put early on and lets face it the JPT doesn't come with europa league qualification. Oh how we would all love to experience some european nights at the gate.

Don't think we have a won a league title since 1954 either (Third division South) and only have won one league title post WWII. Clearly the scope/potential for City is big but it'll never realise it and hasn't for a 100 years...

Regardless if Scottish football is no longer what it was.. Winning a European trophy is something special and is an outstanding achievement in any era whether the club is from Scotland, Iceland wherever. Something City will never do in our lifetime it seems anyway.

As others have pointed out - Scottish football is terrible. The domestic cup they won might as well of been the JPT. And they will be bowing out of Europe pretty quickly, I'd wager.

They're having a cracking season, best in years, we're having an awful one and still crowds are similar to them and we'll attract a better quality of player than them this summer.

We signed Ricky Foster off them FFS how much more convincing do you need??

No Aberdeen probably wont make the group stages of the Europa League, the thing is they have earned the right to be there no matter how terrible the league is...  

The only reason players opt to come to City is they know they will get an easy ride on a nice wedge, its a no-brainer really but that is the main reason along with possibly that Bristol is a nice place to live. Nowt to do with the prestige of the club.

That could go the same for both the Johnson and O'Driscoll fan club ;)

Liked both but now both a footnote in Citys history, but as fans we are going to have our faves past and present.

Btw Aberdeen won the UEFA cup albeit under Fergie which is what people are trying to get across regarding club stature compared to a third rate English club.

Please don't mention Johnson and SOD in the same sentence

Lee Johnson, unsuccessful trials at Brentford and Brighton, barely played a league game in England in a side that wasn't selected by his dad, Scottish cup winner with Kilmarnock ! Nuff said about the standard of Scottish football !

Calvin Zola, a league 2 player at best, Aberdeens main striker..

Adam Rooney, released by Oldham, scored a goal every game since he's joined Aberdeen

People don't seem to be grasping that of course the English clubs have better players.. As they can rack up the debt and pay transfer fees.

There are clubs in Scotland's top flight that haven't been able to pay a transfer fee for 5+ seasons. I'd still back Aberdeen to beat City as they have assembled a strong unit and some decent players.. Money isn't everything.

Current squad strength only plays a part in a 'who is bigger?' discussion. City may well have a better side than many a top Scottish club, but they are still Bristol City: winners of nothing.. Ever (pretty much), losing massive amounts of money every year, poorly performing, could quite frankly disappear off the face of the planet tomorrow and only stir emotion in a few thousand Bristolians.

To think just being a middling lower league English side is enough to make you overall a bigger side than a club that was managed by one of the best managers ever and was winning league titles and European trophies at one point is ignorant in the extreme.

No Aberdeen probably wont make the group stages of the Europa League, the thing is they have earned the right to be there no matter how terrible the league is...

The only reason players opt to come to City is they know they will get an easy ride on a nice wedge, its a no-brainer really but that is the main reason along with possibly that Bristol is a nice place to live. Nowt to do with the prestige of the club.

Ah yes, the South Bristol Retirement Home for ex-Footballers. Very popular with players of a certain age...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pontypridd-town-welsh-minnows-meet-3166701Scottish football is rather shite but do you not think it's a good thing for Scottish football if more of their clubs are successful? Only if more clubs are successful will their league get stronger.

Europe.... Means nothing if your league is shit and your going to get smashed.

Oh and we have played in Europe, intertoto cup ty :-)

Motherwell went joint second with Aberbeen tonight, in front of a "crowd" of 3432, massive league...

I know what you are saying, it's a wonder any survive at all. But it seems like every town, village, hamlet has a league team up in Scotland. My geography knowledge isn't great but I bet there are 10 clubs at least within a few miles of Motherwell. With a less dense population too, I guess to get nearly 3 and a half thousand isn't bad going really.

Motherwell went joint second with Aberbeen tonight, in front of a "crowd" of 3432, massive league...

Scotland's average att. for 1st tier compares reasonably with similar sized countries, although obviously Celtic have a small part to play in that ! Hibs and Hearts regularly get 10 to 15 K though, Aberdeen's average has gone up this year to about 11K and Rangers are on the way back.

Whats Aberdeen winning a European trophy under Fergie got to do with DMC?? You made a point about Newport County qualifying for Europe which must have been even further back as teams who win the Welsh Cup cant qualify for Europe no longer.

In regards to DMC..He had to go, his position was untenable and he was out of his depth but who would've thought SO'D would do an even worse job?

and who would at the outset think that SC would do a better job than the pair of them???.its often suprising,this game we suffer from. 

A good way to find out would be for the two teams to swap places... Would Aberdeen likely be struggling in league 1? I think yes. Would we be near the top of the SPL?... Not so sure right now but for sure we would be well off the bottom. There is probably little difference in the football standard between the two clubs but we for sure face a far sterner test week in week out than they ever do.

A good way to find out would be for the two teams to swap places... Would Aberdeen likely be struggling in league 1? I think yes. Would we be near the top of the SPL?... .

I might not make every away game if we do this. Sorry. Definitely make Celtic away, probably Hibs and Hearts. Anyone on here go to St Mirren, late 70s?

I might not make every away game if we do this. Sorry. Definitely make Celtic away, probably Hibs and Hearts. Anyone on here go to St Mirren, late 70s?

"They'll be dancing on the streets of St Mirren tonight..."

No. Unfortunately I couldn't find it in an atlas.

In fact, I'm not sure it's a place. Or even a saint.

Might be an actress though...

"They'll be dancing on the streets of St Mirren tonight..."

No. Unfortunately I couldn't find it in an atlas.

In fact, I'm not sure it's a place. Or even a saint.

Might be an actress though...

Somewhere around Glasgow, isn't it? Did Coach One find it for those anglo-Scottish cup games way back??

"We sacked him and has gone on to bigger and better things whilst we have gone further backwards."

Take it from me - although a Dolman Season ticket holder - I am Scottish, and watch a bit of SPFL, City would beat every team in that league ( except Celtic) 9 times out of 10.

The standard is dreadful, as for Aberdeen being a bigger club, yeah they won some stuff, and the highlight was a Cup Winners Cup v Real Madrid in Gothenburg, those days are long, long gone. If you are interested, take a look at the Aberdeen team that won that cup, most of them went on to play in Div 1 down here ( as it was then, EPL now ) and SAF was the manager.Don' t misunderstand, I am pleased for McInnes, and pleased that a club, apart from the "ugly sisters" won a trophy, but being in Div 1 is a better place to be.

Archived