IGNORED

Gas In The Conference For Bristol As A Whole.

CIDER NOT CIDRE

Gas Going Down  

315 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It does make me laugh now the Gas are on the brink of non league football, hope they finish off the job.

As they have laughed at our clubs demise in 82 and the constant obsession with how we get on rather than concentrating on their pokey little club I hope they are relegated and never come back.

I hope the millions of fans they have wont be too heartbroken though, on the plus side they could label themselves the Bayern Munich of the Skill Premier :D

Yes, that's sags for you. In their world, them not being relegated out of the league is reason enough to be taking the piss out of us!

That's the height of their bragging rights, it is a truly pathetic 'rivalry'. It's about time it was put out of its misery for good.

Like a scene from the Fast Show, you have got angry about something that hasn't happened yet, and probably won't. As far as being out of the football league why would that be good for Bristol? 

Can't imagine for one minute that we would be crowing if we were not safe ourselves, so it's all a bit pathetic really, and let's face it BS3 has hardly set the football world on fire has it?

Big City small town mentality, that, holds us back, let's face it a lot think we a are bit backward looking as it is, let's not give them even more reason to think that.   

Like a scene from the Fast Show, you have got angry about something that hasn't happened yet, and probably won't. As far as being out of the football league why would that be good for Bristol? 

Can't imagine for one minute that we would be crowing if we were not safe ourselves, so it's all a bit pathetic really, and let's face it BS3 has hardly set the football world on fire has it?

Big City small town mentality, that, holds us back, let's face it a lot think we a are bit backward looking as it is, let's not give them even more reason to think that.   

But we are safe and they are in real danger so your point is now moot.

Think a lot of people have alluded to the fact not just their fans, but previous players and chairmen have enjoyed the problems City have encountered in the past so **** 'em.

Reap what you sow

I remember whenever it last was that the Gas were in trouble. Last year maybe, that there were a lot of City fans saying I hope they don't go down and arguing that for Bristol as a City it would be a tragedy and I remember it being a source of great debate. Out of interest are those views still there or does everyone just want to watch the Gas suffer....

I for one would like to see them in the conference and have Bristol City as undoubtedly the One Team In Bristol.

I was at the game on Saturday with my Son who said he thought the last City vs Rovers derby was the best game he's been to with the best atmosphere. He then went on to say that he hopes Rovers go down to the Conference.

I told him that it would be a good idea to keep the memory of that game firmly in his head because it is unlikely that he will attend another full on derby game for a few years to come.

I for one hate Rovers with a passion but to see them fall out of the league would not be good in my opinion, if not only for a good old derby.

Might be a good idea for people in the poll to put their ages on with their vote. I am 65.  I suspect its the "older" supporters who are a little more tolerant of Rovers. The rivalry many years ago was more friendly then and usually discussed over a pint in the pub face to face rather than from the safety of  a keyboard. The Rovers fans who wish us ill luck are probably the same age as the City fans who wish the Rovers ill luck. Yes I want them below us and for us to have bragging rights, that's what makes good rivalry. But we almost went into oblivion too once and I wouldn't wish that on any club, especially a local club. Someone said we could use Cardiff as our new rivals to hate. Might be worth remembering they our way above us at the moment, so they have all the bragging rights as it stands. Be careful what you wish for.  

I don't see a right or wrong on this, my personal experience of gasheads is family, friends, and one guy at work. None of whom have ever engaged in anything more than gentle banter except when we actually play a derby game when there's money on the table.

Go on the net and the most vocal (of both sides) are those of the "I hate..." variety so they're most noticeable. And if the internet was my majoirty experience of gasheads then I too might have signed up to that viewpoint.

I remember getting a comment when I didn't join in a "stand up if you hate the gas" song when everybody along the line stands up, Notts County away many years ago, but I wasn't about to enter into a debate about it. It's not compulsory if you support City to hate the gas.

Personally I see the era when people had a season ticket for both clubs as fantastic and would love it if some people did the same now and just enjoyed the football. I wouldn't do this myself as I am a City fan rather than a general football fan so the big buzz for me is seeing City play, all other football games bar big England games do not give me anywhere near this level of enjoyment.

That Holloway clip is disgraceful though, it always annoys me and I can't stand the bloke as a consequence; how anybody would accept him here as manager as some have said baffles me. Rovers should have fined him for that outburst.

Age may have something to do with it. My first game was 1979 when City were in the top and I thought that was where they were going to stay. Oops......

Who in their right mind wants them to stay up? How on earth is it bad for bristol sport? Them going down means that in the next 3,4,5 years onwards we will get progressively bigger crowds meaning more money for our club meaning we can have a genuine push for the premier league football within 10 years. I understand that some like the derbies etc but surely regular games against Liverpool, Chelsea , arsenal man city etc will bring in more regular large crowds??

Who in their right mind wants them to stay up? How on earth is it bad for bristol sport? Them going down means that in the next 3,4,5 years onwards we will get progressively bigger crowds meaning more money for our club meaning we can have a genuine push for the premier league football within 10 years. I understand that some like the derbies etc but surely regular games against Liverpool, Chelsea , arsenal man city etc will bring in more regular large crowds??

Crikey that's one hell of a leap from the gas going down meaning we end up with a permanent premiership place.

Might be a good idea for people in the poll to put their ages on with their vote. I am 65.  I suspect its the "older" supporters who are a little more tolerant of Rovers. The rivalry many years ago was more friendly then and usually discussed over a pint in the pub face to face rather than from the safety of  a keyboard. The Rovers fans who wish us ill luck are probably the same age as the City fans who wish the Rovers ill luck. Yes I want them below us and for us to have bragging rights, that's what makes good rivalry. But we almost went into oblivion too once and I wouldn't wish that on any club, especially a local club. Someone said we could use Cardiff as our new rivals to hate. Might be worth remembering they our way above us at the moment, so they have all the bragging rights as it stands. Be careful what you wish for.  

Not this "older" supporter.

Can't stand 'em.

Never have and never will.

I would be delighted if they plummeted to the Down's League. :yes:

Please explain to me how having a different mentality towards the Gas will make City as a football club more successful, and how this is holding us back.?

I don't want them to go bust and out of business, that puts them out of their misery far to easily. I want them to go down, stay down and then struggle again. Down & down until they get the derby matches they deserve, against the likes of Yate, mangotsfield & Brislington.

When they are losing league games to those teams, then I will be content that they are in their rightful place!

The sooner they go down and die the better in my opinion... 

For me, they are the primary reason Bristol has never had a successful top tier football team - too many divided loyalties splitting the population.  If the population of Bristol got behind one team, we'd have a team which befits a city the size of Bristol.

Once they die, there will only be one team to support in Bristol.  There will only be one team the City Council and Police need to consider and, eventually, in a couple of decades, once the Gas diehards die off, the population will gradually come around to supporting one team - Bristol City.   New residents of Bristol will only have one team to support - no more divided loyalties.

The future's bright... the future is RED...!  :cool:  :clapping:

Uhh? Yes we are safe that is what I said.

No you didn't, you said we wouldn't be crowing if we weren't safe ourselves, I said that point is moot.

Plus you said they probably wont go down.. care to explain that? To me they are on a downer, playing dire football (from what I gather), they have probably the toughest running and have lost key players to injury. That's your opinion of course but what makes you think they'll stay up?

I don't want them to go bust and out of business, that puts them out of their misery far to easily. I want them to go down, stay down and then struggle again. Down & down until they get the derby matches they deserve, against the likes of Yate, mangotsfield & Brislington.

When they are losing league games to those teams, then I will be content that they are in their rightful place!

Exactly where I am. Would never wish them out of existence completely, just to do as badly on the pitch as possible!

Having a regular derby would be a silver lining of them doing well, but I'd never wish them to get promoted or so much as win a game.

You yourself are referring to hypothetical situations as pathetic, making you a hypocrite.

Bristol Rovers have degenerately limped from season to season in the basement of the football league for virtually a whole generation. They are an embarrassment to Bristol, as a whole, in a way that the local non-league scene isn't.

They have provided no meaningful rivalry or competition for us and not only do they consistently express no ambition themselves they take glee from us trying (and failing).

I would prefer both clubs to be competing together at as high a level as possible but they have proven themselves incapable of that throughout my entire adult life.

For the record, my neighbour is a gas head, friends of my family are gas heads, they are good people whom I will not be mocking. It is their club collectively whom I will be mocking.

You know "haha you thought we were going down you sad b******s"

OMG, how will we survive the ignominy that sort of comedic put down, oh the shame of it all, I mean enjoying the gas shitting their pants as to whether they will remain in the league or not, even if it is a near squeak.

PS:- for the record many gas fans think they are going down as well.

I don't think it will make that much of a difference.

They have been on a downward slide for many years.

In a nutshell, it is their inability to accept that they are a League 2 team. How many times have we heard of yet another play off push on the back of a win irrespective of their league position.

That has been their downfall.

I think this is now dawning on their fans.

If they have the same 'big club' ethos in the Skrill then they will continue to spiral downward.

I don't think it will make that much of a difference.

They have been on a downward slide for many years.

In a nutshell, it is their inability to accept that they are a League 2 team. How many times have we heard of yet another play off push on the back of a win irrespective of their league position.

That has been their downfall.

I think this is now dawning on their fans.

If they have the same 'big club' ethos in the Skrill then they will continue to spiral downward.

Change a few of the details and that's also our story for the last 35 years!

You yourself are referring to hypothetical situations as pathetic, making you a hypocrite.

Bristol Rovers have degenerately limped from season to season in the basement of the football league for virtually a whole generation. They are an embarrassment to Bristol, as a whole, in a way that the local non-league scene isn't.

They have provided no meaningful rivalry or competition for us and not only do they consistently express no ambition themselves they take glee from us trying (and failing).

I would prefer both clubs to be competing together at as high a level as possible but they have proven themselves incapable of that throughout my entire adult life.

For the record, my neighbour is a gas head, friends of my family are gas heads, they are good people whom I will not be mocking. It is their club collectively whom I will be mocking.

I really don't understand all this despising of such a club, when I have to endure the Gas half of the extended family, thankfully mostly just once a year, I get it in the neck, or that bluff and blunder about us and them, all a bit sad really, I don't normally rise to it because I know that's all they have left b.s, I really don't have to respond do I.... the facts speak for themselves. 

I am too concerned about City really to be bothered about any other club, however I do respect genuine supporters no matter what their club,even Rovers, far better than a plastic Man U Chelsea or now Liverpool, especially those that you have to live next door to.

Spare a thought for your Rovers neighbours at least they are genuine.

For me the only question is whether it would benefit City if it happened. Answer no it wouldn't. The demise of Bradford PA didn't help Bradford City. The demise of New Brighton didn't help Tranmere Rovers. On the other hand the success of Everton & Liverpool and Man City & Man Utd helped both teams in their respective cities. For the sake of football in the city of Bristol, let's have two successful team with City always having the edge of course.

For me the only question is whether it would benefit City if it happened. Answer no it wouldn't. The demise of Bradford PA didn't help Bradford City. The demise of New Brighton didn't help Tranmere Rovers. On the other hand the success of Everton & Liverpool and Man City & Man Utd helped both teams in their respective cities. For the sake of football in the city of Bristol, let's have two successful team with City always having the edge of course.

yes because Bradford City didn't ever reach the top flight or reach a major cup final after Bradford PA went through the trap door back in 1970

Archived