IGNORED

Gas In The Conference For Bristol As A Whole.

CIDER NOT CIDRE

Gas Going Down  

315 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I remember whenever it last was that the Gas were in trouble. Last year maybe, that there were a lot of City fans saying I hope they don't go down and arguing that for Bristol as a City it would be a tragedy and I remember it being a source of great debate. Out of interest are those views still there or does everyone just want to watch the Gas suffer....

I for one would like to see them in the conference and have Bristol City as undoubtedly the One Team In Bristol.

As much as I've laughed today (because it's funny) I don't want them to go down and I still don't think they will

Nothing to do with being good for Bristol, but much as It is a minority view, part of me does want them to stay up. Nostaligic, but would love the next generation to feel what I felt before and after some of the great Derbies.

What good is a pantomine without the villan?

I voted no.

A fairly big part of me wants them to, purely for the comedy factor. But for me, the very real risk that they might never again pull themselves out of there is too great and would be sad for the city in general, as well as our rivalry.

I'm about 60/40 against.

Relations between the two clubs have deteriorated since I started watching in 1960. It used to be friendly rivalry and at board level things were better - e g City let Rovers play at Ashton Gate when the Rover's stand "accidentally" burnt down.

I used to have some sympathy for them but after the way they acted in recent years, that's all gone. Now if they go down I'll go out and celebrate

Them quaters they have really does look unprofessional and like a non league kit. I hate Bristol Derbies. Beating them is great but we are always expected to best them so if we lose it then our faces get rubbed in it more. They will always be the underdogs. We beat them in last derby so that eill do ad they slide into non league and the next derby is 20 yeats away. I can see this turning into a Stoke Port Vale sort of rivalry.

Nothing to do with being good for Bristol, but much as It is a minority view, part of me does want them to stay up. Nostaligic, but would love the next generation to feel what I felt before and after some of the great Derbies.

What good is a pantomine without the villan?

This.  Who will be our ' local' rivals if they go down. A city of this size with just one football team in Div 1 will do nothing to attract players or investment. Surely what we all want is local derbys in the Prem. as with Liverpool and Manchester clubs.

The dilemma I face is thus: I have some very good friends (albeit slightly deluded ones) who support Rovers, and I genuinely feel for their predicament. They've never given me any abuse, always steer clear of me if we've taken a stuffing, and have never openly gloated. I take my hat off to any 'true' supporter of any club. We can't change who we are, and lets face it, all but the very privileged are resigned to following some rather dire clubs. 

On the other hand, the blue few always seem to gain significant (and very smug) numbers whenever anything unfortunate happens to us, so for this reason I vote 'Yes' (for the record, unfortunately I don't for one moment think they will down).

Really don't understand the Gas love in...hope they go down and never come back to be honest  :P

It is in truth mixed feelings, as somebody else has said.

Let me try and explain. Watching the reds for getting on for 40 years now, they have always been 'there'. The team we love to hate. Its part of my DNA I am afraid. Football has changed hugely over that time of course, but not having them there, hoping they do badly, kind of will feel, well odd.

I have always said I want to see local lads and lasses first and foremost wearing our shirt around town. Second choice for me, for the deluded, is the blue and white quarters, rather than Chelsea, Utd, etc etc. Lets be honest, the average Bristol xxx fan has not been in it for the glory over the last few years. Sadly, the only thing both of us have had to get excited about over the past few years has been the failures of the other.

In terms of it being good for Bristol, for me its shame on Bristol. The City itself has done f all to support major sport in this area, and the powers that be should hang their heads in shame that one of the major city's in the UK may be left with one league one side. They have done bugger all to help local fans take pride in their local sides.

On balance, I do hope they stay up 60/40. The working class of my dads generation would turn in their graves at what todays generation have to put up with, in supporting a local side.

Then of course, I hope we stuff them!

I don't understand the gas love in by some on here.

Here is a club who a few years ago wanted the council to build them a stadium funded by the rate payers of Bristol so that they could rent it once a week.

The same club who pitched up and took advantage of the rugby club .

The same family club with tradition and Bristol at heart who at the drop of a hat sell the stadium to a supermarket which will affect the livelyhoods of many businesses in the vicinity and is a kick in the teeth to the many brave people of Bristol whodied in the Great War.

It is in truth mixed feelings, as somebody else has said.

Let me try and explain. Watching the reds for getting on for 40 years now, they have always been 'there'. The team we love to hate. Its part of my DNA I am afraid. Football has changed hugely over that time of course, but not having them there, hoping they do badly, kind of will feel, well odd.

I have always said I want to see local lads and lasses first and foremost wearing our shirt around town. Second choice for me, for the deluded, is the blue and white quarters, rather than Chelsea, Utd, etc etc. Lets be honest, the average Bristol xxx fan has not been in it for the glory over the last few years. Sadly, the only thing both of us have had to get excited about over the past few years has been the failures of the other.

In terms of it being good for Bristol, for me its shame on Bristol. The City itself has done f all to support major sport in this area, and the powers that be should hang their heads in shame that one of the major city's in the UK may be left with one league one side. They have done bugger all to help local fans take pride in their local sides.

On balance, I do hope they stay up 60/40. The working class of my dads generation would turn in their graves at what todays generation have to put up with, in supporting a local side.

Then of course, I hope we stuff them!

As someone wrote on another thread Goodnight Irene Hello Forest Green......

I really like having a junior side around, also called Bristol, who are nearly always worse than us but do mount the occasional challenge.

I am also proud of the fact that Bristol is one of the handful of English cities with two league sides. I know that this is OTIB but there are two and I want there to be always two. And City always the better of the two.

I want them to stay up, but leave it until the last day please ;)

The Rovers board and fans was one of the reason Ashton Vale didn't get built they actively campaigned against it . The joy they got when we lost to Hull , remember the banner on the M32 , remember the Hitler video.

Just go on their site and see the vitriol and spite directed at us . The anti City thread that went on for years. Holloway and his cronies shouting obscenities from an open top bus and their Chairman at the time laughing along.

We don't need them Bristol don't need them . It's not a Rangers/Celtic situation , they are an irrelevant to the wider football world.

No **** them they are a club that delight in our misfortune, in fact they exist purely in the hope that we go bust, what other clubs put their city rivals score up on the board (when they are losing) despite being in a lower division? They have an obsessive hatred of us which goes beyond inter city rivalry, so for me having put up with the w****rs since the 70s I would love them to go into the conference.

**** off Irene

The Rovers board and fans was one of the reason Ashton Vale didn't get built they actively campaigned against it . The joy they got when we lost to Hull , remember the banner on the M32 , remember the Hitler video.

Just go on their site and see the vitriol and spite directed at us . The anti City thread that went on for years. Holloway and his cronies shouting obscenities from an open top bus and their Chairman at the time laughing along.

We don't need them Bristol don't need them . It's not a Rangers/Celtic situation , they are an irrelevant to the wider football world.

The tigers don't worry about the Tammy's that don't like them, but simply enjoy the envy.

Ancient Zyderco Proberb.

Seems they're irrelevant to everyone TBH. Just having a look at their board for a bit of a chuckle, and saw this thread. Pathetic.

http://www.brfcforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/114439-crowd-predictions-for-the-rochdale-home-fixture-20140421-here/

:source:

Archived