IGNORED

Gas In The Conference For Bristol As A Whole.

CIDER NOT CIDRE

Gas Going Down  

315 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't understand the gas love in by some on here.

Here is a club who a few years ago wanted the council to build them a stadium funded by the rate payers of Bristol so that they could rent it once a week.

The same club who pitched up and took advantage of the rugby club .

The same family club with tradition and Bristol at heart who at the drop of a hat sell the stadium to a supermarket which will affect the livelyhoods of many businesses in the vicinity and is a kick in the teeth to the many brave people of Bristol whodied in the Great War.

Perfectly summed up

Unfortunately the classic period of City Rovers "respectful" rivalry are gone. The days of Atyeo and the great Geoff Bradford.

Modern times, for example, mean that fans no longer go to City one week, Rovers the next, not because they weren't fervently partisan for their team but because they remained respectfully interested in the other lot but also mainly couldn't afford to travel to away matches.

The internet age has driven us into our tiny predudiced bubbles, where we find it difficult to accept that we can hold different views, even here amongst city fans.

Rovers have themselves to blame partly, not least for the skullduggery in 1982, which many of us cannot forgive.

Be interested to see what would happen to City fortunes if Rovers drop out of the League. 

It would be the end of League football for Rovers one suspects.

I don't really buy into the argument that it would damage the city as a whole. If they were the only club in the city and had fallen from the Premier League into oblivion it might make some sense. But as a perennial lower league team I can't see it makes much difference.

For example it's difficult to imagine a prospective student ever chose to study in Bristol because of the opportunity to watch Bristol Rovers every week.

Seems they're irrelevant to everyone TBH. Just having a look at their board for a bit of a chuckle, and saw this thread. Pathetic.

http://www.brfcforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/114439-crowd-predictions-for-the-rochdale-home-fixture-20140421-here/

If Rovers only get 7500 on Monday that is an absolute disgrace and they may as well scrap the new stadium now. Monday is the biggest game in a Rovers' history FFS.

No **** them they are a club that delight in our misfortune, in fact they exist purely in the hope that we go bust, what other clubs put their city rivals score up on the board (when they are losing) despite being in a lower division? They have an obsessive hatred of us which goes beyond inter city rivalry, so for me having put up with the w****rs since the 70s I would love them to go into the conference.

**** off Irene

Well said indeed, could not have summed up my feelings better than this. yes **** them ! absolutely **** them !

• Admin

If Bristol Rovers weren't around for us to laugh at and distract us from our own dire lack of achievement, what then?

A certain percentage of our fan base might get behind the team at games, instead of chanting about some irrelevent crock of shit from North of the river.

Good riddance, if and sadly it is still a big if, they go down.

I can't believe anyone who went through '82 and endured the full on glee at our plight and the derision of the sags about it, can want anything else except their total demise. Relegation would be a nice start to that process, with I'd hope, further misery and heartache to follow.

FTG

I'd go even further, and on becoming a non-league team they should drop the Bristol from their club name completely and become Horfield Rovers .. Frenchay Rovers or whichever village they are piking in or whoever's stadium they steal next.

A certain percentage of our fan base might get behind the team at games, instead of chanting about some irrelevent crock of shit from North of the river.

I can't believe anyone who went through '82 and endured the full on glee at our plight and the derision of the sags about it, can want anything else except their total demise. Relegation would be a nice start to that process, with I'd hope, further misery and heartache to follow.

FTG

I didn't though, and my friends and peers who are gasheads didn't either though. Can we not be the bigger club and let it go. 32 years ago now.

No **** them they are a club that delight in our misfortune, in fact they exist purely in the hope that we go bust, what other clubs put their city rivals score up on the board (when they are losing) despite being in a lower division? They have an obsessive hatred of us which goes beyond inter city rivalry, so for me having put up with the w****rs since the 70s I would love them to go into the conference.

**** off Irene

I'd forgotten this. Absolutely, **** them!!!! How many times have i heard 'but we beat you 1-nil in the LDV at the Minimal. Jesus.

This thread reminds me of something out of Game of Thrones.....

Let them die slowly and painfully :)

That did make me smile.

To qualify what I said earlier a little, I will not crying for weeks if they do go down. In terms of keeping it in perspective, they will simply be suffering what many fans of once proud teams have suffered over the years, relegation out of the football league, in to what is really the fifth division now. If that happens, it will be in football terms simply because that is were they deserve to be.

They are not my club. What happens then is down to how their Board, players and fans react. IF they stick together, I actually do not doubt, in one, five or ten years time, Luton like, they will be back. If they do, then again in footballing terms it will be because they deserve to and good luck to them.

That is for them to worry about however. If we can start really focussing on how we are doing, rather than endless discussion about a div 2 side, then maybe for us it will be a good thing.

It is in truth mixed feelings, as somebody else has said.

Let me try and explain. Watching the reds for getting on for 40 years now, they have always been 'there'. The team we love to hate. Its part of my DNA I am afraid. Football has changed hugely over that time of course, but not having them there, hoping they do badly, kind of will feel, well odd.

I have always said I want to see local lads and lasses first and foremost wearing our shirt around town. Second choice for me, for the deluded, is the blue and white quarters, rather than Chelsea, Utd, etc etc. Lets be honest, the average Bristol xxx fan has not been in it for the glory over the last few years. Sadly, the only thing both of us have had to get excited about over the past few years has been the failures of the other.

In terms of it being good for Bristol, for me its shame on Bristol. The City itself has done f all to support major sport in this area, and the powers that be should hang their heads in shame that one of the major city's in the UK may be left with one league one side. They have done bugger all to help local fans take pride in their local sides.

On balance, I do hope they stay up 60/40. The working class of my dads generation would turn in their graves at what todays generation have to put up with, in supporting a local side.

Then of course, I hope we stuff them!

They will still be there just in the conference. We can hope they lose there as easily as Divvy 2. I agree Bristol is a wasteland for sport not helped by the attitude of the council among others. Yes there are many from years gone by that have rolled in their grave regarding us/them and sport in Bristol in general, but we won't change that by hoping the buggers stay up we might change the attitude a bit if they went down. Just a thought!

FTG

Wishing relegation, etc, fair game.

I actually find it equally hard to believe that anyone who went thought '82 , knowing how close we came to losing this club, would wish any club to actually go out if existance. Its fans that carry the poo often created by those in suits, not realising what 'our club', red, blue green or orange, actually means to us. Shame on those SAGs at the time (actually far from all) who really wished that on as at the time.

Having lived through that time, frankly, I do not wish that on any true football fan. Ever.

Taking the piss about what exactly?

Taking the piss out of us taking the piss out of them taking the piss out of us taking the piss out of them.

There is at least a 50% chance in my book we are all going to have to put up with last day scenes of them all dancing on the pitch. That may be the deciding factor on me wanting them to get relegated in the end...

They'll win against Rochdale then are little fantasy will be over. ...........then watch them come on here taking the piss

Yes, that's sags for you. In their world, them not being relegated out of the league is reason enough to be taking the piss out of us!

That's the height of their bragging rights, it is a truly pathetic 'rivalry'. It's about time it was put out of its misery for good.

They detest us. Fact. They are insanely jealous of us. Fact. They would be celebrating if it was the other way around. I have witnessed them burning City shirts. I have seen them delight to the point of having a seizure in 1990. I have had Olly laugh in my face when they beat us years ago and it was pure hatred. I was a 13 ffs. I have had blokes in their 50s spit venom at me like you would expect to see from a child, but not an adult. **** em. The sooner they are dead and buried in the conference the better.

I won't miss the rivalry with an outfit who dress like clowns in their quartered shirts, and I won't miss them opposing everything we do, pretending to be dog walkers from failand. FTG. **** Irene.

Bye bye vermin.

They won't go down.

Goal difference will save them.

Don't feel too bad. We all enjoyed that fateful night against Wycombe with the 'Exocet' making many dreams come true. Sometimes we can't have everything in life, so just enjoy basement rovers for what they are.

Them quaters they have really does look unprofessional and like a non league kit. I hate Bristol Derbies. Beating them is great but we are always expected to best them so if we lose it then our faces get rubbed in it more. They will always be the underdogs. We beat them in last derby so that eill do ad they slide into non league and the next derby is 20 yeats away. I can see this turning into a Stoke Port Vale sort of rivalry.

In English please

Archived