IGNORED

The Cricket Thread

And Its Smith

Cook was so nervous at the toss that he could hardly speak. No wonder he chose to bowl.

Anderson and Broad should be embarrassed and for Jordan to return with match figures of 0-140 is remarkably bad. I know he is new but he must do better than that.

I expect Stokes to come in for Jordan and don't expect Ali to last the summer with Borthwick likely coming back in or if the selectors are feeling ballsy Adam Riley.

I have to say, while I've defended Cook as captain thus far, it's pretty difficult to do so after today. He looked a broken man and I'm not sure he'll survive this defeat. There are some very talented players in our test team at the mo and they're being let down seriously by someone or something

I have to say, while I've defended Cook as captain thus far, it's pretty difficult to do so after today. He looked a broken man and I'm not sure he'll survive this defeat. There are some very talented players in our test team at the mo and they're being let down seriously by someone or something

He needs a break from England. He needs to go back to Essex and find some form. Trouble is not sure we have a replacement captain.

Ian Bell should be skipper. Cook hasn't got it in him, he never has. He needs to concentrate on his batting!

Everyone 'in the game' who has commented on it says that Bell isn't captain material. Swann was the latest to say it yesterday.

Has to be Stuart Broad, he is literally the only other possibility, which is why Cook might just keep his job.

Everyone 'in the game' who has commented on it says that Bell isn't captain material. Swann was the latest to say it yesterday.

Has to be Stuart Broad, he is literally the only other possibility, which is why Cook might just keep his job.

how do you know he isn't unless he does the job at least once, some of these pundit said he wasn't good enough to bat 3 not so long ago,

and you can't have broad he failed as one day captain and he's too much of a loose cannon,

Broad is probably the last option I would go for. Belly or Jimmy for me!

He needs a break from England. He needs to go back to Essex and find some form. Trouble is not sure we have a replacement captain.

To be fair he went back to Essex early season and was in sparkling form. Warne and co have really got to him. I don't think he can survive this.. Reminds me of the low of NZ in 1999.

Interesting that Swann reckoned Bell isn't likely to want the captaincy. I don't really know who you could pick... Broad is still too childish at times and imagine him being in control of reviews? Christ. Giving it to root is just akin to what we did with Cook.

Need a Mike Brealey moment - bring back Strauss!

Not entirely convinced about Moores still either.

To be fair he went back to Essex early season and was in sparkling form. Warne and co have really got to him. I don't think he can survive this.. Reminds me of the low of NZ in 1999.

Interesting that Swann reckoned Bell isn't likely to want the captaincy. I don't really know who you could pick... Broad is still too childish at times and imagine him being in control of reviews? Christ. Giving it to root is just akin to what we did with Cook.

He just isn't a test captain. He needs to sort his bowling out, never seen such rubbish from him and Anderson the past few days, they wasted every new ball. And then the little SL bowler shows them how to do it yesterday evening. They should be embarrassed.

I'm always a fan of wicket keeper being captain, maybe its time to replace Prior who was pretty shocking with the gloves and bring in a WK captain who can bat at number 6

• Admin

how do you know he isn't unless he does the job at least once, some of these pundit said he wasn't good enough to bat 3 not so long ago,

and you can't have broad he failed as one day captain and he's too much of a loose cannon,

I think that you can tell from having someone around the dressing room over time what sort of input that they have and what there attitude etc is like

As for experience Bell should be the option, but like written above so many people surely can't be wrong about Bell?

We have to be careful being captain doesn't affect him in such a negative way that his batting is affected.

Broad has had a taste of the captaincy and would appear to be the long term answer

If you look at the England side at the moment, there are players who are new to test cricket and also players who are badly out of form. That only leaves Jimmy, Bell and possibly Prior to take over as skipper.

Stuart Broad is not a test captain, infact he is not a captain in any form of cricket! Joe Root is still very young and needs to keep consistency in his own game.

until root does what root does best and gets himself out.....such a frustrating player

To be fair, he got a good ball but it was a lapse of concentration. He was looking really solid until then. He's still a young player though and he's definitely talented, but as a Yorkshireman I'm biased! ;-)

Sorry but nether of those two are better keepers

They a nowhere near Prior, who to be fair isn't an amazing keeper. Bairstow doesn't even keep for Yorkshire and this is Buttler's first full season as a keeper.

Prior situation same as Cook's. He's not good enough but nobody better. Depressing really as is the spinner situation.

Archived