IGNORED

The Cricket Thread

And Its Smith

You can only deal with what is in front of you. Mooen's innings was particularly gutsy and shouldn't be dismissed so flippantly.

Moorens innings shows how poor cook, root and prior were with the bat, Robson and Bell got good balls

They a nowhere near Prior, who to be fair isn't an amazing keeper. Bairstow doesn't even keep for Yorkshire and this is Buttler's first full season as a keeper.

Prior situation same as Cook's. He's not good enough but nobody better. Depressing really as is the spinner situation.

Well Bairstow was keeping wicket for Yorkshire yesterday at Edgbaston... Bairstow is the best glove man of the three mentioned, but probably the worst batsman (taking Buttlers 50 & 20 over ability into account). I do feel we should pick one of the younger two and go with him

Speaking of spinners, Yorks had an 18 year old take 4 wickets on his first class debut, while Division Ones leading wicket taker Jack Brooks bagged another 5 wickets in the match...

Well Bairstow was keeping wicket for Yorkshire yesterday at Edgbaston... Bairstow is the best glove man of the three mentioned, but probably the worst batsman (taking Buttlers 50 & 20 over ability into account). I do feel we should pick one of the younger two and go with him

Speaking of spinners, Yorks had an 18 year old take 4 wickets on his first class debut, while Division Ones leading wicket taker Jack Brooks bagged another 5 wickets in the match...

Yorkshire.... couple of wickets....that's it then, certainty for next test !   :shifty:

If Gidman went to a first division side it would help him get in the England squad.

Division 1 and 2 mean nothing, if he goes to a fashionable county then he's got a chance of a look in. No one was mentioning Buttler as a potential test match candidate before he went to Lancashire, but pretty much as soon as he got there all the pundits started mentioning him. Hildreth never got a look in a few years ago when having his big seasons and got ditched as captain of the lions as well (having said that they don't tend to stick with captains long in the lions from what I remember).

Division 1 and 2 mean nothing, if he goes to a fashionable county then he's got a chance of a look in. No one was mentioning Buttler as a potential test match candidate before he went to Lancashire, but pretty much as soon as he got there all the pundits started mentioning him. Hildreth never got a look in a few years ago when having his big seasons and got ditched as captain of the lions as well (having said that they don't tend to stick with captains long in the lions from what I remember).

It matters to the selectors so it does mean something.

I know it's not test cricket, but I have to mention the game at the County Ground tonight.  Glos beat Kent on the last ball.  Brilliantly entertaining in sooo many ways.  Brilliant run chase, unlikely hero (The man who won it was Glos' 5th keeper of the season), but the coup de grace was Kent's Aussie Doug Bollinger, taking the bait from the crowd, trying to give it back and then losing the game for his side going for 25 off his last 2 overs.  Brilliant. 

The best thing about watching cricket is that the banter has plenty of time to sink in, like the flavours in a casserole.  

It matters to the selectors so it does mean something.

Cook, Bopara, Ali, Carberry, Briggs, Dernbach, Meaker, Tremlett, Yorkshire not long ago were a division 2 side so Bresnan etc, Lancashire last season were div 2 when Kerrigan got his call up. It really doesn't matter what division a player is in, if the selectors want to pick them they will. Moeen Ali is the one that goes against the grain coming from Worcestershire as I think Solanki was the last guy from the county to be an England player.

I'm sure Kerrigan will get another chance, the selectors will soon realise that we need an out and out spinner, but I think with Sri Lanka and India here this summer they are both good players of spin so going with the quick attack. However when we tour elsewhere we will need one. Him, Borthwick or Riley if the selectors have balls.

I know it's not test cricket, but I have to mention the game at the County Ground tonight.  Glos beat Kent on the last ball.  Brilliantly entertaining in sooo many ways.  Brilliant run chase, unlikely hero (The man who won it was Glos' 5th keeper of the season), but the coup de grace was Kent's Aussie Doug Bollinger, taking the bait from the crowd, trying to give it back and then losing the game for his side going for 25 off his last 2 overs.  Brilliant. 

The best thing about watching cricket is that the banter has plenty of time to sink in, like the flavours in a casserole.  

Doesn't have to be T20 either, it's amazing how you can get under certain players' skins !

I (and my mates ) have had many a jolly time with a few choice , not rude, comments to some Billy Big Bollox over the years, some (only a few) take it in good part and get on with the game, BUT there are a few (no names,no pack drill) that you just KNOW you can wind up and their game invariably falls apart. It has happened so many times. 

Doesn't have to be T20 either, it's amazing how you can get under certain players' skins !

I (and my mates ) have had many a jolly time with a few choice , not rude, comments to some Billy Big Bollox over the years, some (only a few) take it in good part and get on with the game, BUT there are a few (no names,no pack drill) that you just KNOW you can wind up and their game invariably falls apart. It has happened so many times. 

Been up to county ground a few times after work, do any of the Glos fielders on the boundary indulge in chat/banter ? Not sure what the etiquette is these days. It's usually Taylor on the boundary.

Archived