IGNORED

Bristol rugby thread (Merged)

RedM

The rugby system is a joke anyway. Should be in the Premiership, not this play off bollocks.

Yup, just thinking the same. I don't think being a 'proper' rugby fan would suit me afterall, I get enough heartbreak and stress with football where at least we have a chance, several chances of promotion. This is cruel.

From my limited viewing of tonight Bristol's way of playing is to make mistake after mistake after mistake.

I'm no meteorologist but with my limited knowledge I can tell you it's been pissing it down a bit of late.

Shall we just rake through Welsh's entire history until we find a misdemeanour that they've already been punished for and cry 'foul play'?  

Alternatively of course, we could accept defeat like men. 

Bristol are going to need a miracle. What a shit system and makes a mockery of having a league format.

Almost the same thing happened to Bristol two years ago - won the league at a canter then threw the whole season away with 15 minutes of carelessness in the first leg of the semi-final against Cornish Pirates.

Almost the same thing happened to Bristol two years ago - won the league at a canter then threw the whole season away with 15 minutes of carelessness in the first leg of the semi-final against Cornish Pirates.

Exeter, I think....

Yup, just thinking the same. I don't think being a 'proper' rugby fan would suit me afterall, I get enough heartbreak and stress with football where at least we have a chance, several chances of promotion. This is cruel.

What is the point of a league format? Just don't understand it. I can understand if the top 2 go up and 4 teams battle it out for play offs. This is just ridiculous and whoever thought of it, is thick as a plank.

The rugby system is a joke anyway. Should be in the Premier League, not this play off bollocks.

Just the same logic applies in football though - 6th can go up instead of 3rd in our division and the Championship. Did anyone say that it wasn't fair that Hull should have to play us in that final? 

Serious question - do Briz stand a chance at the Mem ??? I'm not an egg chaser but i really do want Bristol to do well and with the ground share i do feel an allegiance !! 

Bristol won by just 4 points in this game at the mem, but they were 22 points up with 10 minutes to go before they let Welsh run rampant. If Bristol play well for the full 80 (they normally have a 20 minute spell where they go to bed) they can do it.

Bristol won by just 4 points in this game at the mem, but they were 22 points up with 10 minutes to go before they let Welsh run rampant. If Bristol play well for the full 80 (they normally have a 20 minute spell where they go to bed) they can do it.

:fingerscrossed:  really do hope they can pull it out the bag - good for the town ! 

Just the same logic applies in football though - 6th can go up instead of 3rd in our division and the Championship. Did anyone say that it wasn't fair that Hull should have to play us in that final?

Finishing 1st and not guaranteed promotion is taking the biscuit though, wouldn't you agree?

Finishing 1st and not guaranteed promotion is taking the biscuit though, wouldn't you agree?

Can't see much difference to be honest between that and footy playoffs. If the rugby system was that only the top team got promoted there would be seasons where the first place would be won early and the rest of the season a pointless procession. If Bristol had finished 4th and got promoted nobody here would complain. 

Can't see much difference to be honest between that and footy playoffs. If the rugby system was that only the top team got promoted there would be seasons where the first place would be won early and the rest of the season a pointless procession. If Bristol had finished 4th and got promoted nobody here would complain.

There is a hell of a difference between the two systems. Like for instance 1/12 of the teams (in League 1 and Championship) being promoted outright v 0/12 in the RU Championship. Football clubs voted to give up 1/24 of the chance of automatic promotion (all things being equal which they aren't of course) so that 1/6 of the teams could be involved in a knockout for the remaining promotion spot.

This really extends the competitiveness of the league without diluting the league format too much. Football has got the balance spot on.

In rugby there is not really very much difference in finishing in the top four places, and the league winners do not automatically go up. This is a massive failing of their format, and one of the reasons I could never contemplate following their competition very closely.

It is a joke of a system to be fair. Trying too hard to be like the yanks and their wildcard/post-season nonsense culture.

Top placed team should be declared champions and go straight up. Second , third and fourth should play off with second bottom in the premiership That would keep the season interesting until the death as well as rewarding the team that finishes top. Sadly, the money men wont have that as their goal is to make the top tier a closed shop.

It is a joke of a system to be fair. Trying too hard to be like the yanks and their wildcard/post-season nonsense culture.

Top placed team should be declared champions and go straight up. Second , third and fourth should play off with second bottom in the Premier League That would keep the season interesting until the death as well as rewarding the team that finishes top. Sadly, the money men wont have that as their goal is to make the top tier a closed shop.

Thats the exact format I would use, it was stupid a few years ago when 8/12 teams entered a playoff.

If they skrew up again how many times have they failed to go up after topping the league now, 3 in 5/6 years? Strong argument for Bristol to appeal the rules about promotion.

Heres some fun facts:

Theres been 27 seasons since the league format was intoduced

19 have been in tier 1, the other 8 in tier 2.

Of those 8 seasons in the championship, (5 of which have been the last 5 years) Bristol has topped the table 5 times, only getting promotion twice (three times with a miracle next week)

I really hope they expand the top division (if that's still the plan), because with a record like that, I'm sure Bristol will be the first name on the list. They definetly seem to deserve to be there.

Archived