IGNORED

Bristol rugby thread (Merged)

RedM

You may turn it back off, big decision that was.

I think he got it right though, all lost in the first game.

This is not sour grapes but the way these play offs work is a joke, no reward for being the best side over a season.

This is not sour grapes but the way these play offs work is a joke, no reward for being the best side over a season.

Think we have been the best side tonight. Missed our chances but I for one can't wait to see this sort of action at AG.

Now I'm no big rugby fan, but I'm still gutted tonight as I've followed bris a bit this season.

London welsh played better over the two ties and deserved the win.

What I can't get my head around is this ridiculous promotion system. I'm sure it's been debated to death elsewhere, but can someone please explain the reason for it...if there is one. Is it money related?

The notion that you can romp the league yet still have to perform in the russian roulette of a 4 game knock out competition is surely not in the spirit of any game?

Totally agree. Bristol couldn't stop them in the first game and left too much to do tonight. London welsh looked physically stronger and were a brick wall, and Bristol couldn't kick. Very wrong there is no reward for a seasons work when you finish top.

Totally agree. Bristol couldn't stop them in the first game and left too much to do tonight. London welsh looked physically stronger and were a brick wall, and Bristol couldn't kick. Very wrong there is no reward for a seasons work when you finish top.

I used to regularly attend Bristol games as a youngster, sorta stopped going as I attended more City games. Also this coincided with Rovers stealing the mem and seeing all Rovers take over the ground with all the signs etc made me feel sick. Now SL owns them and they are moving to AG my interest in them has gone up. I'm looking forward to attending games at the gate in the future. I love night time games at the gate so can't wait to experience a night time rugby game there.

The problem is the rules are what they are and they are the same for everyone. Yes it's frustrating to not be able to get out of a league we won but had we finished 2nd and won the play offs no one would complain. A more fairer way would be for the winner to go straight into the final.

I used to regularly attend Bristol games as a youngster, sorta stopped going as I attended more City games. Also this coincided with Rovers stealing the mem and seeing all Rovers take over the ground with all the signs etc made me feel sick. Now SL owns them and they are moving to AG my interest in them has gone up. I'm looking forward to attending games at the gate in the future. I love night time games at the gate so can't wait to experience a night time rugby game there.

The problem is the rules are what they are and they are the same for everyone. Yes it's frustrating to not be able to get out of a league we won but had we finished 2nd and won the play offs no one would complain. A more fairer way would be for the winner to go straight into the final.

It should be (IMO) 2 up 2 down, the top team replaces the bottom team in the premiership,

Sides finishing 2nd and 3rd play off to play in a one off final against 2nd bottom in premiership to see who gets the premiership spot,

I just can't see how it's fair as it is.

Well I hope the Premier league enjoy their new addition, with all 50 fans they have. I'm sure London Welsh will be a worthy addition to the top tier of English rugby. Not.

What worries me is that Worcester will be strong next season but with them and Leeds there's at least a couple of half decent games.

In Rugby & Speedway, the top four teams go into a play off. You can win the league, but not be League Champions as a result.

Officially it adds an exciting finale to the season; in reality it's a money making exercise. In Rugby League, it's the top six who play off.

For stupidity look at British ice hockey. 10 teams in the division and at the end of the season, the top EIGHT go into the play offs!

The official reason for play offs in football was that a team 10th in February could still make them and get promoted. That would keep up enthusiasm and crowds coming through the turnstiles.

With just the 1 promotion spot, only way to keep teams and fans interested till season end.

As top division is such a closed shop until they change the rules and do 2 up and 2 down, going to be same scenario year on year.

Other sports like rugby league with the 8 team play off at least you stay in top division same as speedway and ice hockey. This system in rugby is just a money making exercise and doesn't reward you for consistency.

The problem with the Championship is it is effectively split in two with Bristol, Leeds, Rotherham and London Welsh/Scottish. These 5 sides are decent, whereas the rest of the league is very poor. Bristol set up to batter the bottom 7 and get bonus points in nearly every game. Welsh set themselves up like a proper team and played to Bristols weaknesses. Bristol on the other hand just kept trying plan A. The team that deserved to go up this year as the best team in the Championship were Welsh. The league table in this instance lies. Bristol need to grow up and learn they can't just score buckets of trys every game in the same way, and that some games require some dirty work. They also need a kicker.

• Admin

Whilst it can be deemed wrong that finishing top does not guarantee promotion.

For some reason the Championship followed the Premiership in that the team finishing first does not get the glory. 

Don't forget that every side are aware of this at the start of the season, and that every side voted for this to take place.

They just adapted it from the top 8 sides to just the top 4 so all clubs are fully aware of the risks.

Let's be honest, it is all about milking a few quid of Sky + supporters etc with the extra games and as a result it comes back to bite you on the arse.

Am sure the London Welsh supporters will be fully in favour of the set up this morning!

Oh well lets hope that there is a double promotion at Ashton Gate this time next year!

Well I hope the Premier league enjoy their new addition, with all 50 fans they have. I'm sure London Welsh will be a worthy addition to the top tier of English rugby. Not.

What worries me is that Worcester will be strong next season but with them and Leeds there's at least a couple of half decent games.

Rumour seems to be gathering pace that Bristol may be promoted anyway...

Rumour seems to be gathering pace that Bristol may be promoted anyway...

Why? How? Surely the other teams and the rugby equilivant of the FA would have to vote on this? Also on tv today they said Bristol will be announcing which players they are releasing today, won't that depend where they are playing? Or is this just the Bristol version of the Gas clutching at straws?

• Admin

Why? How? Surely the other teams and the rugby equilivant of the FA would have to vote on this? Also on tv today they said Bristol will be announcing which players they are releasing today, won't that depend where they are playing? Or is this just the Bristol version of the Gas clutching at straws?

Saw a comment on Facebook last night where something similar was said - maybe just cascaded from that.

Agree the RFU would have made this announcement a long time ago.

We know that London Welsh as using the Kazam Stadium are ok to be promoted, so unless another club is folding or two merging together Bristol are going nowhere - the leagues are being shaken up again lower down the ladder soon, but the intention was to make the leagues smaller not bigger.

There are at LEAST two Bristol signings that had a clause in their contract that if Bristol were not promoted they would go out on loan next season, believed to be Anthony Perenise and Dwayne Peel -but time will tell

ROUND 1 (Sept 5/6/7) - Bristol Rugby vs Worcester Warriors (h) ROUND 2 (Sept 12/13/14) - Leeds Carnegie vs Bristol Rugby (a) ROUND 3 (Sept 19/20/21) - Bristol Rugby vs Cornish Pirates (h) ROUND 4 (Sept 26/27/28) - Bristol Rugby vs London Scottish (h) ROUND 5 (Oct 3/4/5) - Moseley vs Bristol Rugby (a) B&I CUP 1 (Oct 10/11/12) B&I CUP 2 (Oct 17/18/19) B&I CUP 3 (Oct 24/25/26) ROUND 6 (Nov 7/8/9) - Bristol Rugby vs Doncaster Knights (h) ROUND 7 (Nov 14/15/16) - Nottingham vs Bristol Rugby (a) ROUND 8 (Nov 21/22/23) - Bristol Rugby vs Rotherham Titans (h) B&I CUP 4 (28/29/30 November) B&I CUP 5 (5/6/7 December) B&I CUP 6 (12/13/14 December) ROUND 9 (Dec 19/20/21) - Bedford Blues vs Bristol Rugby (a) ROUND 10 (Jan 2/3/4) - Bristol Rugby vs Plymouth Albion (h) ROUND 11 (Jan 9/10/11) - Jersey vs Bristol Rugby (a) ROUND 12 (Jan 16/17/18) - Bristol Rugby vs Leeds Carnegie (h) B&I QUARTER FINAL - 23/24/25 January ROUND 13 (Jan 30/31/1) - Cornish Pirates vs Bristol Rugby (a) ROUND 14 (Feb 6/7/8) - London Scottish vs Bristol Rugby (a) ROUND 15 (Feb 13/14/15) - Bristol Rugby vs Moseley (h) ROUND 16 (Feb 20/21/22) - Doncaster Knights vs Bristol Rugby (a) ROUND 17 (Mar 6/7/8) - Bristol Rugby vs Nottingham (h) B&I CUP SEMI - 13/14/15 March ROUND 18 (Mar 20/21/22) - Rotherham Titans vs Bristol Rugby (a) ROUND 19 (Mar 27/28/29) - Bristol Rugby vs Bedford Blues (h) B&I FINAL - 3/4/5 April ROUND 20 (Apr 10/11/12) - Plymouth Albion vs Bristol Rugby (a) ROUND 21 (Apr 17/18/19) - Bristol Rugby vs Jersey (h) ROUND 22 (Saturday, 25 April) - Worcester Warriors vs Bristol Rugby (a) CHAMP SEMI 1 - May 1/2/3 - See more at: http://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/9710/club-reveal-2014-15-fixtures/#sthash.h6gjC8B8.dpuf

• Admin

Looking at the fixtures there are a minimum of SEVEN weekends where both sides are due to play at home - depending on cup draws this could increase up to as many at TWELVE. Over a season of 9 months that doesn't seem to bad to deal with - otherwise the groundstaff have a number of days to get the pitch sorted for either sport

ROUND 1 (Sept 5/6/7) - Bristol Rugby vs Worcester Warriors (h)

We are home to Scunny on the 6th

ROUND 3 (Sept 19/20/21) - Bristol Rugby vs Cornish Pirates (h)

We are away at Fleetwood on the 20th

ROUND 4 (Sept 26/27/28) - Bristol Rugby vs London Scottish (h)

We are home to MK Dons on the 27th

B&I CUP 1 (Oct 10/11/12)

We are home to Chesterfield on the 11th

B&I CUP 2 (Oct 17/18/19)

We are away to Coventry on the 18th

B&I CUP 3 (Oct 24/25/26)

We are away to Barnsley on the 25th

ROUND 6 (Nov 7/8/9) - Bristol Rugby vs Doncaster Knights (h)

FA Cup Round 1

ROUND 8 (Nov 21/22/23) - Bristol Rugby vs Rotherham Titans (h)

We are home to Preston on the 22nd

B&I CUP 4 (28/29/30 November)

We are away to Peterborough on the 29th

B&I CUP 5 (5/6/7 December)

FA Cup Round 2

B&I CUP 6 (12/13/14 December)

We are home to Crawley on the 13th

ROUND 10 (Jan 2/3/4) - Bristol Rugby vs Plymouth Albion (h)

Home to Peterborough on the 3rd / FA Cup Round 3

ROUND 12 (Jan 16/17/18) - Bristol Rugby vs Leeds Carnegie (h)

We are away at Scunny on the 17th

B&I QUARTER FINAL - 23/24/25 January

We are away at Doncaster on the 24th / FA Cup Round 4

ROUND 15 (Feb 13/14/15) - Bristol Rugby vs Moseley (h)

We are home to Sheffield Utd / FA Cup round 5

ROUND 17 (Mar 6/7/8) - Bristol Rugby vs Nottingham (h)

We are away at Crawley on the 7th / FA Cup round 6

B&I CUP SEMI - 13/14/15 March

We are home to Gillingham on the 14th

ROUND 19 (Mar 27/28/29) - Bristol Rugby vs Bedford Blues (h)

We are home to Barnsley on the 28th

B&I FINAL - 3/4/5 April

We are away to Oldham on the 4th

ROUND 21 (Apr 17/18/19) - Bristol Rugby vs Jersey (h)

We are home to Coventry on the 18th

Sorry about the original fixture post, did it from my phone and admittedly couldn't be arsed to edit it!

Certainly an interesting start having to face Worcester, Cornish Pirates and London Scottish, BUT handy to have decent games to show curious locals so early in the season.

Did I read correctly that Ian Evans has signed for next season? As in, Ian Evans who toured with the Lions last year Ian Evans? That's a statement of intent if ever I heard one, perhaps it also gives credence to the 'Bristol to be Promoted Anyway' rumours...

• Admin

Wow, the first game of season against wuss is a Friday night. Carnage!

Interesting - see how the ground holds up for the match at home to Scunny the next day, and that isn't just the pitch !

I wonder if this will be on Sky?

Fixtures are out today.

They are playing a number of home games on Friday nights, three precede home games for us on the Saturday.

Three others precede FA Cup rounds (1, 2 and 3), which could also mean playing a day later than the Rugby.

Is this wise, or deliberate so that their are completely sport free weekends at AG.

Archived