IGNORED

Bristol rugby thread (Merged)

RedM

Just back from the Kassam....

High hopes, expensive signing crocked, dodgy commitment, basic errors, game lost .... they'll fit right in at the Gate next year!

Traffic bad?

Bristol won by just 4 points in this game at the mem, but they were 22 points up with 10 minutes to go before they let Welsh run rampant. If Bristol play well for the full 80 (they normally have a 20 minute spell where they go to bed) they can do it.

Yes, they have a chance but have to be much better than yesterday for the whole game

When you look at Bristol especially in the latter half of the season, they overwhelmed the opposition but defensively always looked vulnerable and to looks as though that vulnerability has come home to roost.

But I echo what everybody else has said stupid system, although I must say the other 3 play off contenders actually played it more cute than Bristol and took their foot off of the pedal going into the last couple of months of the season and resting key players, Bristol didn't they approached every game full on and appear to be paying the price.

Think it was the first year of the play offs, Gloucester finished something like 17 points clear, then put their feet up whilst the play offs went on and got thumped 3-39 by Wasps in the final

As Wasps, quite rightly, said.....no good being top of league in April.....

I hate the play offs with a passion, and hope Bris can come back next week. I'm not holding my breath for you though

I couldn't understand the game plan last night, started strongly then faded and faded handing the initiative to Oxford Welsh. The condidtions were not good with the wind in particular stronger than it probably appeared on the TV. Yet we played into their hands. Old 'off-side'got it completely wrong on the night.

Just back from the Kassam....

High hopes, expensive signing crocked, dodgy commitment, basic errors, game lost .... they'll fit right in at the Gate next year!

I went, missed all bristol points! Got stuck trying to get in to that shit hole and wasn't getting stuck getting out after that horrendous performance so missed the pen!!!

It is a joke of a system to be fair. Trying too hard to be like the yanks and their wildcard/post-season nonsense culture.

Top placed team should be declared champions and go straight up. Second , third and fourth should play off with second bottom in the Premier League That would keep the season interesting until the death as well as rewarding the team that finishes top. Sadly, the money men wont have that as their goal is to make the top tier a closed shop.

Absolutely spot on.

As you know I've really not much idea about rugby, how likely is it that they will turn around a 19 point gap, how often does it happen in a match? I guess it's a huge task but nothing is impossible, right?

I know Bristol's strength has been going for tries (sp?), well it only needs a few of those converted and they are back in the game, yes I know easier said than done but that's what has got them to top of the Championship afterall.

Stranger things have happened on that ground, who would have thought the Gas would be relegated like they were! It will be an emotional evening with them leaving their home, the spirit of all those war dead the ground is dedicated too might just be up for one last battle.

I wish I was going.

As you know I've really not much idea about rugby, how likely is it that they will turn around a 19 point gap, how often does it happen in a match? I guess it's a huge task but nothing is impossible, right?

I know Bristol's strength has been going for tries (sp?), well it only needs a few of those converted and they are back in the game, yes I know easier said than done but that's what has got them to top of the Championship afterall.

Stranger things have happened on that ground, who would have thought the Gas would be relegated like they were! It will be an emotional evening with them leaving their home, the spirit of all those war dead the ground is dedicated too might just be up for one last battle.

I wish I was going.

Not impossible with 7 points for a converted try. They will prob need 40 points to win though which is a tough ask considering how poor they were the other night.

Not impossible with 7 points for a converted try. They will prob need 40 points to win though which is a tough ask considering how poor they were the other night.

Welsh will score a minimum of 2 try's so I agree they are going to need approx 40 to win, probs 6 tries needed!!!

Welsh will score a minimum of 2 try's so I agree they are going to need approx 40 to win, probs 6 tries needed!!!

That's the other thing, Bristol got to stop them from scoring. The London Welsh looked pretty strong in the brute strength stakes to my (non rugby) eyes, every time they pushed they certainly moved the Bristol players back.

I wish I was going.

It's not impossible but Bristol only won by at least 19 pts in five out of 23 league games, and most of those five were aginst the bottom teams. It doesn't look good :(

It's not impossible but Bristol only won by at least 19 pts in five out of 23 league games, and most of those five were aginst the bottom teams. It doesn't look good :(

From your reply and a couple of others I realise my positive hopes are fading. :-(

I wish I was going.

I take the view that if welsh were abke to win my a 19 point margin then Bristol are able to aswell.

Right, with less than 5 minutes to go this looks like a draw. What do they do in rugby to find a winner in these sort of matches, extra time is it? What then, football have penalties obviously, what what do rugby have, penalty kicks?

Right, with less than 5 minutes to go this looks like a draw. What do they do in rugby to find a winner in these sort of matches, extra time is it? What then, football have penalties obviously, what what do rugby have, penalty kicks?

In this situation it would have been an extra 20 mins (10 each way) and then if it was still level number of tries scored (Northampton had 2 to Saracens 1 at that point). If the two teams were to be level on tries, there would be a "penalty shootout" type contest, from the centre of the 22 5 players each and then if still level it becomes Sudden Death (much the same as football).

Archived