IGNORED

One In Three City Fans Feeling Detached, Undervalued, Or Slowly Disengaging.

Cowshed

How do you become disengaged from something you love?

Its been sh!t for a while but I love going tl watch city with my mates.

Its like meeting your mrs when your 20 - you love her. She's fit, funny, good in the sack, great pair and your at it like rabbits. After a few years she lets herself go a bit, is as funny as a SOD interview, has forgotten what the sack is let alone being any good in it, makes you eat pears and uses a rabbit rather than you. 

You'll never cheat on her like you'll never cheat on City with Rovers or Swindon or Utd but you'll slowly just accept that your not all that fussed anymore and go your separate ways, while remaining amicable for the sake of the kids (your mates and the pub) and see her now and again when she's applied a bit of lippy and you've had one too many. 

What concerns me most about this survey is the percentage of supporters between 50 and 60 (I'm at the top end of that age group) because if this is representative of our overall support the club could have a problem in the future when, for one reason or another, us old'ns can't get to the gate anymore. I'm guessing that most of this group started supporting between the mid 60's and mid 70's when things were looking good, not great all the time because we still had to fight off relegation a couple of seasons but we then had our spell in the first division and we knew it was OUR club so when we started falling down the leagues we stuck with OUR club and we are still here today.

Life is different today but the club needs to look at ways of encouraging younger supporters to become life long fans because if they don't there won't be a club left to support, of course the best way is to do what they did all those years ago and put out a winning team that can climb the divisions and is worthy of OUR support.

As was mentioned earlier, through thin and thinner but never forget it's OUR club.

City's a bit like England, really.

Blind support being taken for granted for too long.

I don't necessarilly blame either for the situation, but acknowledgement that actually it's a ******* joke, from where ever the buck does stop, to us, would help ease relations.

I feel disenchanted with City every time they present the club not as the underachieving mess that it is in the same way the arrogant ***** at the FA fail to acknowledge they're a complete **** up.

For example, is it any more a moronic question to ask England fans why they're pissed off at this moment in time?

As for the suits at City; I'm glad SL can pay for us but we are rediculously underachieving and the constant commercial bull and not respecting the long term support is salt in the wound.

Did they need to ask?

What concerns me most about this survey is the percentage of supporters between 50 and 60 (I'm at the top end of that age group) because if this is representative of our overall support the club could have a problem in the future when, for one reason or another, us old'ns can't get to the gate anymore. I'm guessing that most of this group started supporting between the mid 60's and mid 70's when things were looking good, not great all the time because we still had to fight off relegation a couple of seasons but we then had our spell in the first division and we knew it was OUR club so when we started falling down the leagues we stuck with OUR club and we are still here today.

Life is different today but the club needs to look at ways of encouraging younger supporters to become life long fans because if they don't there won't be a club left to support, of course the best way is to do what they did all those years ago and put out a winning team that can climb the divisions and is worthy of OUR support.

As was mentioned earlier, through thin and thinner but never forget it's OUR club.

I think most Clubs are like this.

I only went to see City play occasionally up until the age of 30, as I was actually playing the game on a Saturday.

I think many do this locally as well.

Then in your 40's you still have family and mortgage to pay....and often turn to other sports like golf.

It's the over 50's that have the most disposable income and start to slow down and watch more sport.

City's a bit like England, really.

Blind support being taken for granted for too long.

I don't necessarilly blame either for the situation, but acknowledgement that actually it's a ******* joke, from where ever the buck does stop, to us, would help ease relations.

I feel disenchanted with City every time they present the club not as the underachieving mess that it is in the same way the arrogant ***** at the FA fail to acknowledge they're a complete **** up.

For example, is it any more a moronic question to ask England fans why they're pissed off at this moment in time?

As for the suits at City; I'm glad SL can pay for us but we are rediculously underachieving and the constant commercial bull and not respecting the long term support is salt in the wound.

Did they need to ask?

Are there specific things the club could do to change your view?

I feel the club clearly undervalues fans via its inaction. An example - The FC not actioning its own statement on ground consultation. An FC that backs up its own rhetoric is part of a remedy there.

Are there specific things the club could do to change your view?I feel the club clearly undervalues fans via its inaction. An example - The FC not actioning its own statement on ground consultation. An FC that backs up its own rhetoric is part of a remedy there.

A specific example is the Willem situation. Why can't the club embrace our supporters reltionship with theirs and also be as one with the supporters looking to create a Forza type movement?

Actions and attitude don't seem to match the club's rhetoric. It is incongruent an it feels as though they underestimate our intelligence.

As somebody said to me quite recently, City fans need to feel some love.

Actions and attitude don't seem to match the club's rhetoric. It is incongruent an it feels as though they underestimate our intelligence.

The very use of the word club implies the club has members. Actions like the changing of date and kick off time for the Notts County game are an example that fans are not members of the club. City were barely apologetic at first when they inconvenienced those who should matter most in any "club".

If fans were treated as valued club members this would regulate the FC's behaviour to a point where it cannot insult its members[fans] intelligence.

As somebody said to me quite recently, City fans need to feel some love.

Fans should be viewed as members of the FC. Part of an us.

I get no, repeat, NO feeling of being welcomed by security, gate, or catering staff, and get the impression that the club would prefer me to set up a direct debit and stay away.

I'm eyed as if I was a teenage yob looking to make trouble, which is a bit embarrassing for a 68-year-old.

I read that as only about 300 people could be bothered to actually take the time to say that they were unhappy and the vast majority see what we are trying to achieve.

Chief ... If the research is quantative that 300 is thousands. As you are one of the fans parliament guarding the light at the end of the tunnell praps you should be bothered to find out more.

Chief ... If the research is quantative that 300 is thousands. As you are one of the fans parliament guarding the light at the end of the tunnell praps you should be bothered to find out more.

It isn't a properly selected sample.  The results are meaningless and drawing conclusions from them would be irresponsible.

Oh hang on, we are Bristol City............

It isn't a properly selected sample. The results are meaningless and drawing conclusions from them would be irresponsible.

Oh hang on some more the sample size is what 30 or 40 times bigger than the clubs fans parliament and the club draw conclusions from that for EVERYBODY.

Try googling accidental sampling (or opportunity sampling).

Do you seriously think that over 50% of City fans are over 50 years old?

No Sonny but I am not an arrogant little pup suggesting the views of the over 50's or others are irrelevent.

I need to google nada as the results and size are significant enough for some qualitive research to follow.

If You don't understand why the views of fellow fans of a CLUB are not important. I am not going to explain it either.

No Sonny but I am not an arrogant little pup suggesting the views of the over 50's or others are irrelevent.

I need to google nada as the results and size are significant enough for some qualitive research to follow.

If You don't understand why the views of fellow fans of a CLUB are not important. I am not going to explain it either.

Pup? Read post #48.  Look around you on a match day, over 50% of the fans are clearly not over 50 which is where the majority of the responses to the survey have come from.  It is clearly not a representative sample of the fans.  If they base actions on what the over 50s want want, yippee do, I'm in there.

Where did I say the views of fellow fans are not important.  The fans are the lifeblood of the club, that is why any surveys need to be done properly if any conclusions are to be drawn.

The results show that some further research is required, nothing more.  You seriously do need to find out more about statistical sampling if you think this is an accurate survey of the fans of Bristol City football club.

It isn't a properly selected sample.  The results are meaningless and drawing conclusions from them would be irresponsible.

The results are not meaningless. It would be irresponsible to dispose of the Supporters Club and Trust's work without thought. The results should create reflection not knee jerk reactions condeming something which nobody else is doing.

A sensible view would that ignoring these polls without some investigation is a mite stupid.

that is why any surveys need to be done properly if any conclusions are to be drawn.

The words "find out more" appeared in a post you are disagreeing with.

The results are not meaningless. It would be irresponsible to dispose of the Supporters Club and Trust's work without thought. The results should create reflection not knee jerk reactions condeming something which nobody else is doing.

A sensible view would that ignoring these polls without some investigation is a mite stupid.

The words "find out more" appeared in a post you are disagreeing with.

The headline you put as the thread topic implies that you believe this survey gives hard and accurate data on how 1/3 of City fans feel, apologies if that is not the case, but it is how it reads to me.

The survey was put up as more than the bit of fun that the poll threads provide and it does not stand up as properly structured research.

I regret entering into this debate and I am clearly not going to change your view on it.

Drew. The topic title is just a title no more. I could have chose Supporters Club and Trust poll results. As far as I am concerned the polls are accurate. The implication can only be they are the views of a large section of Bristol City fans, I doubt the Supporters Club and Trust were polling the non league Gas.

Try googling accidental sampling (or opportunity sampling).

Do you seriously think that over 50% of City fans are over 50 years old?

We had a great thread on here some months ago with a poll of when people first started supporting City. A massive proportion started supporting City in the late 60s and 70s when the standard of football was far higher relatively because the club was only in the top flight and second tier during that period. That would be the 50+ age group. Most people at the back of the Williams' Stand and Dolman seem to be of that age.

Archived