IGNORED

One In Three City Fans Feeling Detached, Undervalued, Or Slowly Disengaging.

Cowshed

It would be naive to assume that results do not affect mood.

That poll (whatever it says) would be different according to the context in which its taken - take a poll when we've been relegated and looked like relegation fodder the following season and what would be the expectations from the poll. Take it when we have been promoted and would the results be the same ? Would they

Pointless exercise imo.

Asking fans what they think is never pointless. Bristol City exists not because of Harry D or Leslie Kew and the other Kew or Mr Lansdown or even because it is never good at football.

Some would not care if Steve Lansdown took a dump in the centre circle as long as they got their results.

I bought my season ticket before the signings. And the season before that and that and that. Relegation fodder makes no difference.

And that is the sketch. A football club should go beyond football or should for some. It is not just a "result based industry" for many.

Many are made of different stuff to thee.

Well, season ticket sales are up on last year...

I don't feel detached or undervalued by the club, disillusioned by the last few seasons maybe but certainly not slowly disengaging. I haven't bothered to look at the poll to be honest as a few good signings and a positive start to the season will render that poll redundant.

Try a poll when we are doing well....

Exactly this.

I'm a "one in three". RobboRed hit the nail on the head - it's not about Bristol City, it's about football in general (I'm less interested in this World Cup than I have been in previous ones).

My first taste of City was in the Osman era. We were awful back then, but I felt part of something. What happened on the pitch was just part of the experience - it wasn't the be all and end all.

Fast-forward to today. The odd player aside, I don't feel any affinity with the playing squad (just as many of them don't really feel any affinity with us), I think that the supporter base is a lot more fragmented than it used to be and as far as the club is concerned, I feel more like a walking wallet than a fan. I don't really blame the club - it's the result of what's happened in football since $ky came on the scene. Sadly it's all about the money now - not the fans, not the community, not the clubs. 

Platini clearly recognises the issues, and is doing things to address them, but the billionaires will find ways around it (or have pockets deep enough to carry on regardless).

Football needs a revolution. I've long supported the idea of fans giving football a reboot, by founding AFC versions of their own clubs in a national set of leagues with strict wage caps from the outset, compulsory local player quotient etc.

• SC&T Board Members

Just a little more info for you on the poll.

In addition to the link being distributed via Facebook and Twitter, it was sent by e-mail to 6,097 contacts on the Supporters Club & Trust database. The mail was opened by 1,504 recipients (24.67%).

Many of the contacts on our database added their details through participation in surveys run in the past on new stadium matters, not least the proposals for the new stadium 7 or so years ago.

If you do not receive our occasional newsletter mails and did not get a mail about this poll, but would like to be on the circulation list, you can add your name via the 'Newsletter' box on the top right of this website: http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/ (soon to be replaced by a much-needed new site).

So now it's a personal attack on me.

It's important to remember that everyone of my generation were once young and enthusiastic about our beloved club. Personally I spent many seasons in the EE but eventually I lost interest in the signing, the swapping insults with the away fans and the crap view. I subsequently moved to the Dolman where I remain.

Point being, I do know what your experiences are like. I've been there, done it and got the T shirt.

Calling fans Burberry apes, knuckledraggers, cognitively impaired, spooky and weird are YOUR attacks on other fans. They are an example of how different we are. Nobody else has ever described fellow Bristol City fans in the same light in their role as supporters club Chairman. You are a minority of one.

You are using your own sweeping generalisations there regarding the Eastend. You could have chose to mention the stands communal aspects post 2007, the fan activities, fundraising involving children, but you cannot as you were NOT there and you certainly did NOT buy an Ernie t shirt.

You do not share our experiences, you obviously hold very different views, you have different ideas of what is important, so you cannot speak for all.

Calling fans Burberry apes, knuckledraggers, cognitively impaired, spooky and weird are YOUR attacks on other fans. They are an example of how different we are. Nobody else has ever described fellow Bristol City fans in the same light in their role as supporters club Chairman.

Show me a thread where I use the terms you describe.

Some interesting points raised by the survey, and credit to the SC&T for asking the questions. Irrespective of the the statistical validity or otherwise of the sample, there are clearly some issues raised which deserve addressing.

Before this thread descends too far into name calling and personal insults, I would ask a serious question of those who feel undervalued etc.

What, specifically, do you think the club could do to change the way you feel?

Some interesting points raised by the survey, and credit to the SC&T for asking the questions. Irrespective of the the statistical validity or otherwise of the sample, there are clearly some issues raised which deserve addressing.

Before this thread descends too far into name calling and personal insults, I would ask a serious question of those who feel undervalued etc.

IMO its not all the clubs fault but is it not true that; you can be ejected for swearing, standing, hurling taunts at away fans, waving a flag in the wrong area, looking like you drunk, smoking in the wrong area and generally getting a bit too excited?

Much has changed since the late 60`s, I took all my kids to the gate from a young age and they enjoyed it and couldn't wait for the next game, now they are over 30 and hardly visit at  all........too boring and sanitized, the best bit is pre-match outside around the ground. To many rules and regs now I am afraid to fart in-case someone disapproves.

IMO its not all the clubs fault but is it not true that; you can be ejected for swearing, standing, hurling taunts at away fans, waving a flag in the wrong area, looking like you drunk, smoking in the wrong area and generally getting a bit too excited?

Much has changed since the late 60`s, I took all my kids to the gate from a young age and they enjoyed it and couldn't wait for the next game, now they are over 30 and hardly visit at  all........too boring and sanitized, the best bit is pre-match outside around the ground. To many rules and regs now I am afraid to fart in-case someone disapproves.

I have taken my kids from a young age, they are now over 30 and we still all have season tickets and look forward to every game.  The next game is always the one where our season takes off and we turn the opposition over by at least 5 goals.  Looking forward to taking my grand kids down.

Boring?  Depends on the manager & the team

Sanitized? Well what isn't these days?

Tend to agree with this, the atmosphere has become increasingly sterile over the last few years especially due to all these rules and regulations. I've been watch City regularly since the mid 90's and generally the football has been poor however the atmos was good and whatever the result was always looking forward to the next match.

Its now got to the point where I rarely visit AG and attend more away games as its a more enjoyable experience (Walsall recently springs to mind).

But therefore nor can you

No such claim has been made. Reference was made to Forza EE - WTMS and our peers not an entire fan base.

The Supporters Club and Trust polls could in some way help to improve the Football Club, and the experiences of fans. That is something worth encouraging.

This was a quick poll, a temperature check to see how fans are feeling. Whilst it is conducted at a point in time, it encourages people to reflect over a longer period on what motivates them to either support or not. I found the answers to protecting our heritage interesting.

The point by Dave L is well made. What is it that needs to happen to get certain fans to re-engage?

For some, entertaining football and a promotion season possibly. For others, a better all round match day experience as part of their community and a feeling of being valued maybe.

Tend to agree with this, the atmosphere has become increasingly sterile over the last few years especially due to all these rules and regulations. I've been watch City regularly since the mid 90's and generally the football has been poor however the atmos was good and whatever the result was always looking forward to the next match.

Its now got to the point where I rarely visit AG and attend more away games as its a more enjoyable experience (Walsall recently springs to mind).

Perfectly summed up. I get the felling that AG management sees us fans as a bloody nuisance. They like our money, though :noexp:

This is something I've thought long and hard about, having stopped buying a Season Ticket around 6 years ago and still feeling further from being a part of the club than I ever have.

I find it very difficult to put into words my feelings about this but I think the fact that the question has to be asked in the first place is the problem.

The very fact that the question is being asked puts me in the place of a customer to be satisfied, rather than someone who is accepted as part of the club.

The club IS the fans, not the people that own and administrate it.

Once you become a customer, rather than a living and breathing part of the club as a whole, you may as well develop an affinity for McDonalds and go out celebrating when their results are better than Burger King's, or something like that.

I still consider myself a fan of Bristol City, and still get along to AG from time to time. I just don't feel a part of the whole thing like I used to.

Stop asking what we want, just give it to us. You're fans as well, you should know what we want!

And please don't think for a second that this is a criticism of Dave L's role within the club. He does a superb job and I have no problem with there being a 'Fans Liaison Officer'. I just find it frustrating that the people running the club don't already think and act the same as the rest of the fanbase. I think it was Aizoon who said somewhere that he sometimes think the club would be happier if we set up a direct debit and didn't go near the place again. I think he may be right.

I know that this is the way modern football in general is going, but wouldn't it be nice if ours could be the club that flipped the finger to modern football and went back to doing things properly?

This is something I've thought long and hard about, having stopped buying a Season Ticket around 6 years ago and still feeling further from being a part of the club than I ever have.

I find it very difficult to put into words my feelings about this but I think the fact that the question has to be asked in the first place is the problem.

The very fact that the question is being asked puts me in the place of a customer to be satisfied, rather than someone who is accepted as part of the club.

The club IS the fans, not the people that own and administrate it.

Once you become a customer, rather than a living and breathing part of the club as a whole, you may as well develop an affinity for McDonalds and go out celebrating when their results are better than Burger King's, or something like that.

I still consider myself a fan of Bristol City, and still get along to AG from time to time. I just don't feel a part of the whole thing like I used to.

Stop asking what we want, just give it to us. You're fans as well, you should know what we want!

And please don't think for a second that this is a criticism of Dave L's role within the club. He does a superb job and I have no problem with there being a 'Fans Liaison Officer'. I just find it frustrating that the people running the club don't already think and act the same as the rest of the fanbase. I think it was Aizoon who said somewhere that he sometimes think the club would be happier if we set up a direct debit and didn't go near the place again. I think he may be right.

I know that this is the way modern football in general is going, but wouldn't it be nice if ours could be the club that flipped the finger to modern football and went back to doing things properly?

each fan is different what you want won'#t be what others want so how the hell is the club supose to know?, if you don't give feed back nothing will change and simply saying you should know is not helpful in the slightist,

each fan is different what you want won'#t be what others want so how the hell is the club supose to know?, if you don't give feed back nothing will change and simply saying you should know is not helpful in the slightist,

I realise that and it really doesn't hit the spot in what I feel. As I said I find it hard to put into words. But the very asking of the question effectively separates the fans from the club and that shouldn't be happening. We are Bristol City Football Club, not customers of it.

Well......I amongst many others have repeatedly complained about the overpriced and poor quality food and drink on sale within AG but (unless I've missed the latest news) nothing has happened to improve things.

I say again - it's all down to Lindleys. Get rid of them ASAP and get in a new and preferably local franchise.

Well......I amongst many others have repeatedly complained about the overpriced and poor quality food and drink on sale within AG but (unless I've missed the latest news) nothing has happened to improve things.

I say again - it's all down to Lindleys. Get rid of them ASAP and get in a new and preferably local franchise.

So despite your opinion that the survey results only reflect the attitude of English football fans in general the pies do have to change?

Others here disagree. Take Bar BS3 or this Cynic chap. City win 5 - 0 pies are good. Lose pie is bad.

So despite your opinion that the survey results only reflect the attitude of English football fans in general the pies do have to change?

Others here disagree. Take Bar BS3 or this Cynic chap. City win 5 - 0 pies are good. Lose pie is bad.

the pie's aren't that bad, nether is the food in general its just over-priced

Archived