IGNORED

Rochdale Vs Bcfc Matchday Thread

BigTone

Deary me, there are some absolute queens on here. 2 points a game over the course of a season is Title-winning form - and we've played some of the best sides in the division too.

Calm down, dears, and dig in for the marathon. It's a long old season.

As long as neither of them solely contributed to us losing the game, then I wouldn't blame SC for making those changes at all.

He could have brought Pack on for Elliot, keeping Freeman on the Pitch for creativity on the counter. Swap Wilbs for Agard and then at least we're set up to soak up Rochdale pressure as well as having the right players to smash them on the break. It's the "doing nothing" that bothers me. We were lucky to get that point come the end. 

Wow Jose quite the tactician aren't we?, I never realised how easy it is in reality, perhaps you are looking forward to santa bringing you your "SOD the glory years" video.

Wow Jose quite the tactician aren't we?, I never realised how easy it is in reality, perhaps you are looking forward to santa bringing you your "SOD the glory years" video.

Don't believe in Santa, and I never believed in SOD. Much happier with Cotts, but I'm still entitled to my opinion with regards to his tactics and choices during the game. 

Blimey, did you have a good betting card ruined by the gas winning today or something?

Its a perfectly fair challenge. Point, counterpoint blah blah, we move on.

Do not have to be Mr lets knock everything to wonder if we should have mixed things up with 30-20 to go. There is no right or wrong answer, as we cannot know what he sees in training, how he is seeing the game etc. There are opinions. Some of which can be different to your own.

SC: "When we control a game, we look a dominant force. We just needed more luck and craft in the final third."

What a bizarre quote. Did he actually look at his bench today? I mean, HELLO Steve... 

That was indeed a rather bizarre remark given he also said our strikers were fantastic today.. hmmm.. weird.

Blimey, did you have a good betting card ruined by the gas winning today or something?

Its a perfectly fair challenge. Point, counterpoint blah blah, we move on.

Do not have to be Mr lets knock everything to wonder if we should have mixed things up with 30-20 to go. There is no right or wrong answer, as we cannot know what he sees in training, how he is seeing the game etc. There are opinions. Some of which can be different to your own.

I agree but it would be nice to actually acknowledge the progress that we have made, instead of 'what if', that is my point, because the 'what if' in this case might have been regarding a defeat, let's keep the all out attacking substitutes for when we actually need to buy a win and not when we are trying to lay the foundations for a good start to a season.

PS:- never been a betting man, I leave that to the people who already know what the result is going to be and there are far too many of those these days.

PPS:- i'm ******* decorating, if you get my drift.

It's great to still be unbeaten. How long did it take us last season to get 8 points? About 10 games I reckon!

But we do have to remember that this isn't a computer game and buying a load of good players does not instantly make you a good side. We are still gelling, developing.

For those still inclined to believe we should steamroller opposition like Rochdale, I'd point out that our second string side - although.containing a few first choices and many on the bench today - were made to look like absolute mugs by an Oxford side who have yet to win a league game and sit 92nd in the league pyramid.

It's great to still be unbeaten. How long did it take us last season to get 8 points? About 10 games I reckon!

But we do have to remember that this isn't a computer game and buying a load of good players does not instantly make you a good side. We are still gelling, developing.

For those still inclined to believe we should steamroller opposition like Rochdale, I'd point out that our second string side - although.containing a few first choices and many on the bench today - were made to look like absolute mugs by an Oxford side who have yet to win a league game and sit 92nd in the league pyramid.

Good points. My expectations are for top 6 this year, or very close. Seen nothing to change that.

There is a temptation, which must be avoided, of thinking 'its only Rochdale'. I fall in to that myself some times. They are playing us on merit. We have to give this side some time to start clicking.

From the snippets I saw, sounds like Fielding and Flint had a good game. The latter is almost as good as a new signing. The most concerning aspect for me is JET, or at least how he seems to be viewed by Cotts. Certainly not as a first choice, and not even so far as an impact sub. He obviously watches him in training, we do not, but would love him to be able to show a little of what we saw last season. There is a feeling Cotts does not quite know what to do with him. Might be wrong, but that how it seems from afar.  

What does annoy me is our commentators, not so much Adam Baker, but the other bloke (not sure who it was today) always seems to cheerfully announce the oppositions goals, gets on my nerves.

I agree and noticed this too listening to there commentey when city's wasn't working they sounded annoyed with our goal! Petty I know but hey

I don't think anyone on here is saying that BCFC are now World beaters, and that we should have smashed Rochdale 5-0. A few of us here are just a bit bemused as to why SC didn't change things (or leave things in the case of Freeman) especially in the last 20 or so when it sounded like we ran out of ideas in the final third. SC even said after the game that we lacked craft up top so why didn't he at least attempt to mix things up a bit, especially when all that was looking likely was a Rochdale winner?

JET coming on would have made them worry and maybe even drop a little deeper, as believe it or not, pretty much every other club in League 1 thinks that he's one of our top players and one of the best in the division, regardless of what we all think. 

Yes we're unbeaten still, and 8 points from 12 is great, but I think we could and should have taken 3 today. 

There is a feeling Cotts does not quite know what to do with him. Might be wrong, but that how it seems from afar.

If that's the case, and I agree it seems that way, that's something Cotts has in common with all his (JETs) other managers bar SOD.

I think JET really needs to reflect why that might be the case, especially as I don't see SOD managing again at a level he'll want to play at, if at all.

Averaging 2 points per game as we are...92 at the end would def see us wave bye bye to lge 1 and smiling hello to the championship.

We've started up how we finished off last season, and that's great.

Some people have extremely short memories, and the moment we start being disrespectful to the other clubs in this division is the moment we are surely gonna deservedly land on our arse.

Let's not turn a positive into a negative necessarily. Enjoy the ride!

At the end of the day still unbeaten and 8 points from 12.

However, I was very disappointed in the second half performance. We looked solid if unspectacular in the first half but Rochdale came out all guns blazing in the second and we just couldn't seem to keep hold of the ball (not helped by another poor ref admittedly). I just couldn't get my head around the lack of subs... I have faith in cotts but surely he can't of thought it was going well....

Got to give a word about flint who I thought had another strong performance. Whatever he did over the summer obviously worked as he is a different player.

I agree with everyone  :bounce:          ............................................... Sort of

I would have liked changes to be made and for us to run away with it , but IMO (copyright youngkidstextspeak)

You bring JET on , you'd have a very talented player on for someone who is bound  to be working harder at a time we were struggling.

Agard , if not a swap for Wilb's or Baldock , would probably take something out of the midfield that was struggling anyway.

The Wagstaff change , I assume SC saw someone who would probably be busier in the engine room (copyright MoTD 1972).

Throwing forwards on doesn't always work, there was obviously problems else where and where we dominated in the first half we struggled later.

I don't like seeing a game left to take it's own course when something needs to be done, SOD last year said after a defeat "the game wasn't going to change".

Well that's the managers job in a nut shell , and why they get paid the big bucks. Make changes to alter games

We have the squad in place and, I hope, over the next few games we will improve as players get more used to each other and systems.

The defence looks improved,  and I'm sure there is more to come form the rest, another potentially difficult game next week where we should win  :yes:

Just copy and paste to the end of the match day thread next week , unless of course we run out deserved 5-0 winners.

Apart from the second half in Sheffield , I don't think we've been totally on it,  but.... we would have lost these games last year !

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, we are a good squad and will become a good team. Sooner rather than later I hope.

Not sure anyone disagrees that a point was good enough, I'd have taken it before the game as I would have done Tuesday night. But I just feel we've short changed ourselves by not making a change yesterday which would have given Rochdale something to think about.

We did bring on Freeman against Orient, albeit too late, and unless he was injured yesterday I don't see the point in taking him off early in this fixture. Wilbraham appeared to fade in the last 20 mins these past two games, not sure why Cotts stuck with him.

Happy with the point and the day out.  Got there on time for a fast beer outside the ground.  Nice to see another ground.  Great to drink a few rubbish fosters inside the ground. Excellent view from the side of the pitch.  Great weather.  Nice set of friendly home supporters. Stewards were really friendly.  Great first half.  Great support from city.  Amazing save from fielding.  Got home well before 10pm. Too many positives for a poor second half to spoil my day.  Looking forward to Nottingham. :-)

As a few people of mentioned, we're currently averaging 2 points a game, which over the course of the season would gain us automatic promotion.

At 1-1 yesterday,we were neither behind or in front of our average points total, we were bang on when extrapolated.

At this point SC had a decision to make, does he go for the gamble to try and win to get us ahead in our average points, or does he risk losing and putting us behind in the average points?

Seems to me he decided to take what he had and walk away with a decent points total, and leave us two points off the top.

As a few people of mentioned, we're currently averaging 2 points a game, which over the course of the season would gain us automatic promotion.

At 1-1 yesterday,we were neither behind or in front of our average points total, we were bang on when extrapolated.

At this point SC had a decision to make, does he go for the gamble to try and win to get us ahead in our average points, or does he risk losing and putting us behind in the average points?

Seems to me he decided to take what he had and walk away with a decent points total, and leave us two points off the top.

Fair points. The question being asked is did we get the point more through luck or judgement? Would have been a debating point for sure, but if he had made changes in tactics or players to close the game down, settling for a point, and we had exercised more control on the second half, I would say fair enough. 

Lets see where we are after ten games. What the last two games have shown is we are still work in progress. It would be a surprise if we were anything else.  

Fair points. The question being asked is did we get the point more through luck or judgement? Would have been a debating point for sure, but if he had made changes in tactics or players to close the game down, settling for a point, and we had exercised more control on the second half, I would say fair enough. 

Lets see where we are after ten games. What the last two games have shown is we are still work in progress. It would be a surprise if we were anything else.  

I believe last season, it wasn't until the second half of the season that Brentford started troubling the top two when they had that impressive 10 game winning streak.  Before people get carried away (positively or negatively) it may take as long for it to fall into place for us..

Archived