IGNORED

Rochdale Vs Bcfc Matchday Thread

BigTone

I think Cotts will be cautious in the first couple of months whilst we get the new boys settled in and so long as we are near the top we can go for it after Christmas .

What so it's going to take Agard three months to settle then?  :facepalm:

Yeah let's just wait until Xmas before unleashing our best players on the rest of League 1. 

Totally agree with your top sentence cynic but it's frustrating when the club invest a lot of money in the squad and not use them. Will have to wait for the Cotterill interview for his reasons.

Only two on the bench were cotts signings, 1 a defender who everyone would complain if he brought on, the other a striker who has not had much of a preseason or competitive game time and probably no more (if at all) than 1 training session with the team.

I can see an argument for bringing and merits for using JET; however, I wouldn't have. I don't think Spotlands 1-1 is the time or place where he'll turn it on I'm afraid.

Some of you have lost the plot, we are not world beaters, yet, we had to grind out a draw at Rochdale, and credit to Fielding who takes a lot of stick for saving a point. Cotts said it is going to take 12 matches before we fire on all cylinders, we have had a lot of new signings, it takes time to bed in a squad, as long as we can pick up points like this we will be fine.

Only two on the bench were cotts signings, 1 a defender who everyone would complain if he brought on, the other a striker who has not had much of a preseason or competitive game time and probably no more (if at all) than 1 training session with the team.

Agree with the defender not being used but if the striker is not fit then what is the point of putting him on the bench.

OK, so on reflection an away point is decent result. Cotts obviously had his reasons and so as the City manager I will always give my full backing even when I don't get it. It is actually refreshing to feel that the 3 points was there for the taking after the first half considering what we endured last season! It is natural to wonder why our attacking options on the bench weren't utilized however as some have suggested had he "gone for it" and we had lost, this forum would be in meltdown.

Unbeaten in 4 and an exiting ride for us when we will undoubtedly see all our squad in action. COYR

What so it's going to take Agard three months to settle then? :facepalm:

Yeah let's just wait until Xmas before unleashing our best players on the rest of League 1.

Not what i said ,what are you a "Post" reporter ?

We could go gung ho and not get the points on the board or we could have and hold and as the newbies become more accustomed to playing together we are going to be in a strong position.

The best teams don't really get in to top gear until after Xmas we have enough quality to be one of the best in this league .

There ,see if you can distort this !

Agree with the defender not being used but if the striker is not fit then what is the point of putting him on the bench.

Get him in and around the match day squad. If we had an injury and he could get an hour fine. Bring him on in the last 15 or 20 to get a goal, nah.

To do so you take off wilbraham who is a danger from set pieces if we put the right delivery and an outlet for us, and in great goal scoring form albeit probably knackered right now. Or take of Baldock, our captain, top scorer last year with a wrongly disallowed goal last week.

Don't see enough to take off either of those and chuck our new boy in the deep end. Our players won't really know how to use him, he won't know what tactically positions we'd want him to occupy in certain situations, who to mark at set pieces etc. too many risks to use him. He was insurance today for an injury or if we are cruising bring him on.

Hmmm, stupid? So you agree with the post I was responding too then? Childish? Um, no...

We were in transition last season and how many points did we have after 4 games? surely we are still in transition now with all of the changes that have been made by SC?, so I can't see what the problem is, but i'm sure you and a few others managed to get your new signings to gel on FIFA manager quicker.

Not what i said ,what are you a "Post" reporter ?

We could go gung ho and not get the points on the board or we could have and hold and as the newbies become more accustomed to playing together we are going to be in a strong position.

The best teams don't really get in to top gear until after Xmas we have enough quality to be one of the best in this league .

There ,see if you can distort this !

I'll try... 

The problem is that some think all we have to do is turn up and the opposition rolls over.

And then spit their dummies out when that inevitably doesn't happen.

The reality is that we have lost just one from the last 17 league games - which aint too bad.

SC knew this would be a tough game, they are a decent side and deserve some respect.

A point gained, not two lost.

They are not a decent side Orient and Sheff Utd are decent sides a point at home to Orient is disappointing but understandable. Rochdale put 5 past an awful Crewe side who managed 1 shot against Swindon this afternoon and lost again,the entire 2nd half was bossed by Dale even Baldock according to the commentary went over to ask for things to be shaken up because it was obvious the formation wasn't working as stated why was Freeman taken off and surely Agard should have come on for 25 mins at least.

We were in transition last season and how many points did we have after 4 games? surely we are still in transition now with all of the changes that have been made by SC?, so I can't see what the problem is, but i'm sure you and a few others managed to get your new signings to gel on FIFA manager quicker.

This isn't about transition for me. It's about having the tactical nous to win a football match, when 1-0 up at half time. Like I've previously said, I never expected us to go up there and destroy them, but with the players on our bench, and not utilising them at all, it just makes me disappointed. Yeah it'll be a tough place to go for other clubs in the league, but I'd say that a point away at P'Boro, MK Dons, Donny etc, would be more of an achievement than today. 

We can't just keep saying, "A point away is a great result, as long as you win your home games" well Ashton Gate has hardly been a fortress for the past few seasons, so I'd rather take the 3 points when ever is realistically possible, and that includes today at Rochdale. 

Never played FIFA in my life so that's not going to stir my blood Sir. 

This isn't about transition for me. It's about having the tactical nous to win a football match, when 1-0 up at half time. Like I've previously said, I never expected us to go up there and destroy them, but with the players on our bench, and not utilising them at all, it just makes me disappointed. Yeah it'll be a tough place to go for other clubs in the league, but I'd say that a point away at P'Boro, MK Dons, Donny etc, would be more of an achievement than today. 

We can't just keep saying, "A point away is a great result, as long as you win your home games" well Ashton Gate has hardly been a fortress for the past few seasons, so I'd rather take the 3 points when ever is realistically possible, and that includes today at Rochdale. 

Never played FIFA in my life so that's not going to stir my blood Sir. 

Ah tactical nous, you and others would have had a field day had he brought on Agard or JET and we had lost.

SC: "When we control a game, we look a dominant force. We just needed more luck and craft in the final third."

What a bizarre quote. Did he actually look at his bench today? I mean, HELLO Steve...

Yeah and he probably saw JET who barely scored under him and Agard, who I've already explained my reasons why then and there was not the time to use him.

Ah tactical nous, you and others would have had a field day had he brought on Agard or JET and we had lost.

As long as neither of them solely contributed to us losing the game, then I wouldn't blame SC for making those changes at all.

He could have brought Pack on for Elliot, keeping Freeman on the Pitch for creativity on the counter. Swap Wilbs for Agard and then at least we're set up to soak up Rochdale pressure as well as having the right players to smash them on the break. It's the "doing nothing" that bothers me. We were lucky to get that point come the end. 

Clicked 'like it' rather than quote - ho hum.

We will never know of course. I do not think any other than the most widely optimistic will see anything other than 8 points at this stage as very good. The points about the team is still in transition are fair ones, and we still have some way to go. I was not at the game, and can only be somewhat circumspect, but it sounds like we were hanging on somewhat, and were lucky to get the point. We very nearly lost not making subs.

Sometimes, when the bench is strong you have to back yourself. Maybe it would have made no difference, maybe we would have lost. Who knows! He was obviously happy with what he was seeing from the front two. Will see what others say, but Agard for Sammy with 20 to go does not in any way really change the shape, and just gives them some fresh legs to think about.

I do think this is a fair subject of debate without being a FIFA playing anti Cotts downbeat for having the discussion.

As an aside, I would make that the second game where Fielding has earned us points. None yet where he has cost us them.

Lets be realistic about this.

1. We have not Lost a game yet.

2. We have a strong squad who have strength in depth. (we are only four games into the season).

3. How much improved is the start this season to last season?

4. We have played some strong teams, Orient, Sheff Utd and have matched them.

5. It is not realistic to think we are going to win every match but we are competing away from home, unlike last season.

So it riles me when we have the same old dross spouted out by the half glass empty brigade. :grr:

We are 4th in the table, 4th from the top not the bottom, like most of last year.

So come on, don't be impatient and look for the positives. :thumbsup:

COYR

Archived