IGNORED

Baldock Gone To Brighton / Salary (Merged)

dafarms

This concept of keeping your best players is impossible in football nowadays. If the player wants to leave and you block his chance to go, how do you think that player will react? Highly unlikely they'll want to continue to perform well in which case you're stuck with a player who could be disruptive, taking up wage budget and stuck in the reserves - and in Sam's case - then leaves for free. Good bit of business by the club. Hopefully we can re-invest the money in some more players in positions that need strengthening.

That's the problem though, I think it was us more than Baldock. If we would have rejected the bid, I believe he would be more than happy to stay.

On the surface of it selling a player in the last year of his contract for more than you paid for him is logical. But football is not logical . BCFC have waited 15 years to find a 20 goals a year front man. They are not very common . We are also in L1 , we are building a 100m new stadium and have invested in an academy and wage bills . Millions . After 5 years of despair and a relegation , a new manager and new hope , things started to look better . Momentum even . Some good signings in the summer and a good start to the season .

However , it was clear from the Oxford game we don't have quality in depth , actually even up front we were talking about needing a fourth striker . We got him. Now the squad starts to fill out better , after all our target man is 34 and will not last a season , and the enigmatic JET will not play 40 games . But Agard and Baldock would have been exceptional in this league . And that is the crux , to get promoted you need a squad of a certain ability and a few stand out players . We just sold our best one. That us not how you build a promotion side.

No one knows if the signing if Agard will replace Sam , but even then we are still a striker short. Plus a keeper and midfielder .... It took a lot to create some momentum and despite what anyone says , this is not what you needed right now , wrong timing and wrong message. This was the time to reinforce the belief and the squad , not sell the highest scorer.

After a the 10 s of millions invested in club , ground , wages and the rest . I sincerely hope the Baldock 1.5 M is not the most expensive error yet.

Onwards , but very disappointed with the club. Again.

I understand what you're saying but will hold off judgment until the transfer and loan windows have shut.

Iam 100% sure that Lansdown wants promotion just as much as we do .

On the surface of it selling a player in the last year of his contract for more than you paid for him is logical. But football is not logical . BCFC have waited 15 years to find a 20 goals a year front man. They are not very common . We are also in L1 , we are building a 100m new stadium and have invested in an academy and wage bills . Millions . After 5 years of despair and a relegation , a new manager and new hope , things started to look better . Momentum even . Some good signings in the summer and a good start to the season .

However , it was clear from the Oxford game we don't have quality in depth , actually even up front we were talking about needing a fourth striker . We got him. Now the squad starts to fill out better , after all our target man is 34 and will not last a season , and the enigmatic JET will not play 40 games . But Agard and Baldock would have been exceptional in this league . And that is the crux , to get promoted you need a squad of a certain ability and a few stand out players . We just sold our best one. That us not how you build a promotion side.

No one knows if the signing if Agard will replace Sam , but even then we are still a striker short. Plus a keeper and midfielder .... It took a lot to create some momentum and despite what anyone says , this is not what you needed right now , wrong timing and wrong message. This was the time to reinforce the belief and the squad , not sell the highest scorer.

After a the 10 s of millions invested in club , ground , wages and the rest . I sincerely hope the Baldock 1.5 M is not the most expensive error yet.

Onwards , but very disappointed with the club. Again.

Would that be aside from Leroy Lita, Nicky Maynard and  Jay Emmanuel-Thomas who have scored more than 20 goals a season for us within the last 15 years, and as recently as last season. Oh, and Agard.

I have to say I think any criticism that we didn't get a similar fee to the one which Peterborough received for Assombalonga is slightly wide of the mark.

Although Baldock scored more league goals, overall Sammy actually trailed with 26 goals to Assombalonga's 33, he is four years the senior, had less than a year left on his contract and has the slight black mark against him of an indifferent previous spell at Championship level. It's also worth noting that Watford had a 50% sell on clause for Assombalonga so Peterborough were always going to hold out for the maximum they could and were fortunate Forest were happy to such a high price for a League 1 player.

If the latest reports are true and the fee was around 2 million then I can't say I have any problem with it all, however disappointed I may be about losing somebody who proved last season he can be prolific at this level. I'm not overly confident Baldock has the game to be a real success in the Championship and for me he isn't as good a player, and doesn't have anything like the same potential, as Assombalonga or Callum Wilson (what did Coventry receive for him?)

In fact I could play devil's advocate and, assuming the stories of the fee being close to 2 million are true, say we have done well to almost double our money on a player who played for us for two years and eighteen months into his spell had many people questionning whether he was actually all that?

Good luck to him though and I hope he does as well at that level as many people think he will. He always seemed a good guy and really ran his socks off, even when the team and himself were playing poorly. Also commendable that it now seems pretty clear that he was set on a move to Brighton, yet at no point could you question his attitude and application for us this season.

It didn't matter what the offer for Maynard was, he didn't want to move to Leicester. It's one thing the club accepting the offer but you can't make the player leave if he doesn't want to go to the prospective buyer.

No matter how many times you say this some people will choose not to listen.

Baldock is a good player nothing more nothing less!!!

Will get found out in the championship because he has no power! Not in the same class as Assombalonga!

Heavily Overatted on here by some. I personally am my particularly disappointed with him going.

Asombalonga had 1 more year than SB did. Maybe BA isn't worth 5.5m (rising to 8m) but why should that mean we settle for 1m for someone who scored more goals? - many people missing the point and burying their heads in the sand. Been a long time since we got more than a smaller club for our players. Pathetic, but we have a rich owner so its apparently all good.

Simple question. On the basis every team wants a great striker cheap, if he was so under galued at what he went for,why did we not get a long wue of clubs offering more?

Me too actually, maybe as the game is Sunday the pre-match press stuff is done tomorrow. Even so, I would have thought we'd atleast have a quote from him.

I'm hoping SC and the club are busy securing a deal for a player, and not avoiding the situation after all their empty promises about SB the whole summer.

I have to say I think any criticism that we didn't get a similar fee to the one which Peterborough received for Assombalonga is slightly wide of the mark.

Although Baldock scored more league goals, overall Sammy actually trailed with 26 goals to Assombalonga's 33, he is four years the senior, had less than a year left on his contract and has the slight black mark against him of an indifferent previous spell at Championship level. It's also worth noting that Watford had a 50% sell on clause for Assombalonga so Peterborough were always going to hold out for the maximum they could and were fortunate Forest were happy to such a high price for a League 1 player.

If the latest reports are true and the fee was around 2 million then I can't say I have any problem with it all, however disappointed I may be about losing somebody who proved last season he can be prolific at this level. I'm not overly confident Baldock has the game to be a real success in the Championship and for me he isn't as good a player, and doesn't have anything like the same potential, as Assombalonga or Callum Wilson (what did Coventry receive for him?)

In fact I could play devil's advocate and, assuming the stories of the fee being close to 2 million are true, say we have done well to almost double our money on a player who played for us for two years and eighteen months into his spell had many people questionning whether he was actually all that?

Good luck to him though and I hope he does as well at that level as many people think he will. He always seemed a good guy and really ran his socks off, even when the team and himself were playing poorly. Also commendable that it now seems pretty clear that he was set on a move to Brighton, yet at no point could you question his attitude and application for us this season.

I largely agree with the above!

Good Luck to the player! If we got what we wanted and the add-ons required then with only a year left on his contract the club were going to allow SB to talk to Brighton. That was always going to be the case!

Let us not forget here, a year ago many were clamoring to get shot of him, or send him out on loan, as SB could not hit a cows arse with a banjo, this was a huge factor in the eventual sacking of SOD as despite the fact we were conceding poor goals we, mainly SB, were not actually scoring our chances (Thank God for JET without him then we would have been miles adrift). So things turned around for SB when SC arrived, how much SB's form change is due to SC and how much was due to the fact he just hit some form is debatable, but if I were SOD I would be pretty miffed at the 10 at least 1 on 1's Baldock failed to score. And of course he hasn't got one yet this season....Just Sayin!

Ergo: I think the business is good and the money pays for the players we brought in, hopefully at least one/two will join by Monday!

Thanks Sam you deserved your Golden Boot and I wish you luck and much of it...But we I have not forgotten that you could be poor too!   

Anyone else surprised SC hasn't came out and said anything yet about the deal happening?

I would imagine he is gutted about his top scorer and captain leaving, he doesn't own the club, and while he has a responsibility to balance the books, any manager would want to keep his previous seasons top scorer, no question.

Sam wanted to leave when he new Brighton were interested, the bad luck from our point of view was no other clubs were interested enough to make a bid (despite what SC alluded too In one of his interviews).

Sam has gone to Brighton for that amount (plus bonuses) and apparently he would rather have stayed with us, so here's the question.....is that the difference between L1 and the Championship or did our board not see value in the deal?

Yes, yes ,yes I know all about wage structures and FFP but if we have real ambition was it better keep him and his goals or sign a cheaper option and take a risk?

Tough one, let's hope our leader has got it right.

Archived