IGNORED

Baldock Gone To Brighton / Salary (Merged)

dafarms

I'm actually beginning to think he's got some underlying debilitating condition or a serious mental problem - maybe I'll just never understand why the most naturally gifted player I've seen play for us can't force his way into the team. I can't blame Cott's for not picking him. Just a little bit of fire in the belly and quicker movement fella and you'd bloodly walk it. Time to step it up.

Wow; so, because Cotts won't play him he's mental now?

That's quote a jump from 'lazy', and not one I've seen any evidence to support.

Basically it seems like we have spent what we got for Baldock on Agard. He was the leagues too scorer and was hardly kicking and screaming to leave. Can't believe we didn't hold out for more.

He was neither unhappy or evidently particularly happy. He was smiling away, biding his time, saying the right things, but ever ready to jump at the main chance.

A Brighton fan said earlier he had heard weeks ago Baldock wanted to talk to them when he heard of their interest.

City rejected a number of bids until finally settling for the latest offer, but be in no doubt, despite his proclaimed 'happiness' at AG, the player had not signed a new contract and was ready to actively persue opportunities to leave the club.

In the slightly puzzling absence of any other confirmed interested parties - if he's as irreplacable as some make out - City got the best deal they could.

He was neither unhappy or evidently particularly happy. He was smiling away, biding his time, saying the right things, but ever ready to jump at the main chance.

A Brighton fan said earlier he had heard weeks ago Baldock wanted to talk to them when he heard of their interest.

City rejected a number of bids until finally settling for the latest offer, but be in no doubt, despite his proclaimed 'happiness' at AG, the player had not signed a new contract and was ready to actively persue opportunities to leave the club.

In the slightly puzzling absence of any other confirmed interested parties - if he's as irreplacable as some make out - City got the best deal they could.

No need for the hidden agenda Nogbad. He can be 'happy' at Ashton Gate while also being equally 'happy' to have a chance to progress his career. As I'm sure we all could in similar positions.

To be fair in terms of league performance and "active fanbase" right now, they are, sadly - like it or not. When was the last time City routinely got close to capacity crowds week in week out?

It's embarassing to hear people talking about Brighton like it's some backwater hellhole - when as a club they're doing everything right. Good squad of players, good manager, fantastic stadium and excellent support.

That remains to be seen.

Baldock was a good player but wouldnt class him as a Bob Taylor, Andy Cole or Shaun Goater type of striker that we have had but on the other hand wasnt like a Peter Styvar! He rarely changed a game and wasnt 'in' every game and was mostly a poacher and could have scored 50 in reality last season and only came good from January.

He will do well at Brighton but we will move on

Is it really so puzzling- I'm not so sure. I did wonder if we got promoted this season whether Sam would be what we need for goals in the Championship. I hoped he'd stay this season but really am not bothered now he's gone as his goals will be replaced one way or another. 

As for feeling cheated or lied to as some feel- how bizarre. Players come and go and my season tickets weren't bought on the strength of a player and I really can't remember anyone promising anything. SC made it clear that Sam might go. AND we made a profit which is unusual for our club.

No need for the hidden agenda Nogbad. He can be 'happy' at Ashton Gate while also being equally 'happy' to have a chance to progress his career.   

Indeed, my point in reply to Taylor10 was Baldock didn't need 'to be kicking and screaming to leave', to bring matters to a head.

It's quite possible for a player to make his feelings and intentions clear in far more composed and subtle ways, but with much the same effect.

I'm actually beginning to think he's got some underlying debilitating condition or a serious mental problem - maybe I'll just never understand why the most naturally gifted player I've seen play for us can't force his way into the team. I can't blame Cott's for not picking him. Just a little bit of fire in the belly and quicker movement fella and you'd bloodly walk it. Time to step it up.

I'm actually beginning to think he's got some underlying debilitating condition or a serious mental problem ... Steady.

Why does skill = Naturally gifted? That level of skill comes from relentless practice. He has to be intensely single minded to gain that level of skill. You do not wake up like it, it takes relentless persistence.

Thierry Henry is naturally gifted, he possesses explosive pace naturally. It is mainly genetic. Jay Emmanuel Thomas and pace? I would argue he is at Bristol City because of some of his physical limitations, strength apart.

This is nothing short of disasterous for us and our promotion hopes. A massive massive blow and I cant see us challenging for the top two now.

And as for the Brighton fans on here claiming to be a bigger club than us... You can **** right off. I remember you not even being able to fill your 7000 capacity running track, and only averaging 8000 the season you reached the second division playoffs in 1991. In actual fact, in terms of history, fanbase and potential there is nothing in it, both clubs are of the same size

This is nothing short of disasterous for us and our promotion hopes. A massive massive blow and I cant see us challenging for the top two now.

And as for the Brighton fans on here claiming to be a bigger club than us... You can **** right off. I remember you not even being able to fill your 7000 capacity running track, and only averaging 8000 the season you reached the second division playoffs in 1991. In actual fact, in terms of history, fanbase and potential there is nothing in it, both clubs are of the same size

I think we won't suffer without sam , still say top 6 minimum .

:facepalm: ffs..

:facepalm: ffs..

You disagree? Why? Both have had similar crowds over the years (barring brightons homeless days), both spent 4 years in the top flight during the 70s and 80s, both have reached one fa cup final each, and both have a very similar league trajectory if you look at the two clubs histories.

The only difference currently is that Brighton have their stadium which has attracted 10k extra johnny come latelys. If you want to disagree with me, lets hear your opinion rather than a facepalm smiley.

You disagree? Why? Both have had similar crowds over the years (barring brightons homeless days), both spent 4 years in the top flight during the 70s and 80s, both have reached one fa cup final each, and both have a very similar league trajectory if you look at the two clubs histories.

The only difference currently is that Brighton have their stadium which has attracted 10k extra johnny come latelys. If you want to disagree with me, lets hear your opinion rather than a facepalm smiley.

I'm not going to bother to insult the club I support, but it's glaringly obvious in every single department Brighton are a bigger, more attractive proposition than Bristol city..

This is what gasheads do on a regular basis, pull out some random figures from 40 years ago, then try to use them as a relevant argument for the present, it just makes us look snobbish and delusional.

Sams got his move to a bigger club, who will have triple our home and away attendances this year, and will probably make the play offs, lets just be happy for him..

I'm not going to bother to insult the club I support, but it's glaringly obvious in every single department Brighton are a bigger, more attractive proposition than Bristol city..

Right now yes they are. But just a few years ago they werent, and id be willing to bet we'll surpass them again sometime in the next 5 years! Thanks for your explanation anyway.Ive no issues with Sam moving to play at a higher level, at a club with (currently) better facilities...just with that Brighton troll gobbing off about it. :)

Wow; so, because Cotts won't play him he's mental now?

That's quote a jump from 'lazy', and not one I've seen any evidence to support.

I don't mean one flew over the cuckoos nest mental. I'm simply suggesting that maybe his head is not in the right place. Did he look focused, committed and determined to win v Oxford, or was he just going through the motions? I want JET to be all that he can be, but all I see a decline in his fortunes unless something drastic happens. 

Total lack of ambition as far as I am concerned...

...yet again we get a pittance for a prized asset.

Too much pressure now on a young lad, new to the club, who before last season had an unremarkable record.

Forget JET. That is after all what our manager seems to be trying to do... and perhaps for good reason.

Really really pissed off by this...

...yet again the club bottle it.

If 1.5 million is true as is what is being quoted then that is hardly pittance for a player in the last 9 months of his contract.

In fairness to the board they have done very good business with Baldock and sold him for more than they had bought him for, something we will have to get used to with the losses we make year by year.

I would rather take 1.5 million for him now than nothing next summer, we hardly have a bad strike force left going by JET and Agard's previous seasons.

True Noggers he obviously wasn't overly happy but I think we could have held out for a higher fee. We sometimes almost give players away and it's disappointing. Pitman was ridiculous. Maynard we know, Adomah went for peanuts but that was ours and SOD's fault and now Sam. I wasn't expecting 4m like some on here but if he's gone for the reported 1m fee then every city fan should feel underwhelmed and disappointed. Should of held out for more.

If 1.5 million is true as is what is being quoted then that is hardly pittance for a player in the last 9 months of his contract.

In fairness to the board they have done very good business with Baldock and sold him for more than they had bought him for, something we will have to get used to with the losses we make year by year.

I would rather take 1.5 million for him now than nothing next summer, we hardly have a bad strike force left going by JET and Agard's previous seasons.

I thought the fee was reported at closer to 1m which is why I'm disappointed to be honest.

Although apparently SB was 'going nowhere'

BIG MISTAKE If we had of kept him and offered him a decent contract ,it would of been very likely that we would be playing Brighton next season.

Now Baldock joins a long list of strikers we were unable to keep hold of, we need to add to the squads depth not add then take away otherwise we go back to square one.

Brighton f.f.s Crapdiff before we should be competing with these teams not supplying them with our best players, because MAKE NO MISTAKE THATS WHAT HE WAS. :grr:

BIG MISTAKE If we had of kept him and offered him a decent contract ,it would of been very likely that we would be playing Brighton next season.

Now Baldock joins a long list of strikers we were unable to keep hold of, we need to add to the squads depth not add then take away otherwise we go back to square one.

Brighton f.f.s Crapdiff before we should be competing with these teams not supplying them with our best players, because MAKE NO MISTAKE THATS WHAT HE WAS. :grr:

How were we supposed to get him to sign a new contract? At gunpoint?

He made it clear he wasn't going to sign a new contract

Archived