IGNORED

Gary Johnson Missing!

Rocky

I've known enough people who have worked with Gary to know that away from the cameras, the jokey persona drops and he is quite humourless and unpleasant.

But just because I wouldn't want to go for a pint with him, doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he did here.

He's a flawed individual, which is why he never made it to the first rank of managers, despite having plenty of talent.

It has taken a lot for Yeovil fans to start to criticise him, as he is even more popular there than here, but his recent behaviour just smacks of petulance.

Spot on....'quiet humourless and unpleasant' is putting it lightly.

I've met him a few times outside of football and thought how different he was to what he portrayed on camera.

A friend of mine called it 'little man syndrome'.

Alex Ferguson had a good survival rate with "my way or the highway". In fact, all top managers operate like that. To be successful as a manager you must be in control. Once the players have control it's the end.

But that doesn't fit the agenda.....

Funny how many ex players keep returning to be 'bullied' by the brute!

Is it ****

So are you saying that you think people I know who are connected or have been connected to BCFC and who knows GJ much better than you are lying?

With respect, you've got your head up your arse.

Lets not get into who knows who at what their opinion is eh, after all it's only hearsay.

Lets not get into who knows who at what their opinion is eh, after all it's only hearsay.

Not really. I'm quoting from a former player I know, two people who worked for the club and another very closely associated with the Johnson years. Spud - whose work involves meeting football people - has told you the same.

Now, I'm not Robbored (despite the similar user name) and I enjoyed the Johnson years, his rapport with the fans, the successes on the pitch. As a Yeovil fan you'll think the same, but I have to break it to you that once the media have gone home Johnson won't be walking around Huish Park like the Hoffmeister bear, dispensing quips to all-and-sundry with the backing music of the Minder theme. He's a difficult, *****ly and quite cold person by all accounts, and his behaviour before, during and after that match doesn't surprise me.

As a Somerset person myself, I've occasionally watched Yeovil when City have been away and I wish you all the best (apart from in two matches this season). Sadly, the augurs do not sound good...

EDIT: :laugh: at how this software renders p.r.i.c.k.l.y

Not really. I'm quoting from a former player I know, two people who worked for the club and another very closely associated with the Johnson years. Spud - whose work involves meeting football people - has told you the same.

It's still hearsay, and I have similar contacts who tell me a different story. That's not to say I disbelieve your accounts but I'm sure there is more than one side to him.

Strangely enough I find myself comfortable with your current position and expect you to do really well this season. Perhaps it's the mutual pleasure that the Gas give us, they were always such an unpleasant bunch when we played them.

btw his latest pressy has muddied the waters even more, I really think he has lost the plot and there is no way back.

I work in Yeovil and the attitude of the fans is very much 'Thanks for all you have done, but time to move on'. There just seems to be a general acceptance that he's leaving and none of them seem too bothered. From the sounds of things the football has been dire, and his signings have not gelled at all.

Didnt turn up til 730 on Tuesday... does anyone else think there is a small possibility that GJ has a problem away from the game like gambling or drink?

He's teetotal. I've no idea if he likes a bet or not, but I think his late arrival was to make a point, nothing more.

Exactly the same as at City. The wheels are falling off.

But also like City, it was a fun ride at the time.

It happens at all clubs sooner or later, with all managers. There aren't too many Wengers about. How long has Gary been at Yeovil, I'm guessing 2 seasons and prepared to bet that's way above average?

But also like City, it was a fun ride at the time.

It happens at all clubs sooner or later, with all managers. There aren't too many Wengers about. How long has Gary been at Yeovil, I'm guessing 2 seasons and prepared to bet that's way above average?

An article I read said he's been there six years in total across two spells.

In that time he's won the FA Trophy, taken them into the football league, and got them promotion to both League One and the Championship.  And being that was all with a club based in a town of only 40,000 people, then it is even more impressive.  

Few coaches can claim such an impressive record, certainly at this level of football; many don't even manage one of those achievements.

Realise some look back in anger at his time here, but when he arrived we were utterly terrible, and he turned us around.  Maybe he left us with some serious work to be done, but we were far from in a nose-dive, as evidenced by the record after he left; we just never replaced him correctly.

Well, now, interesting to see the level of hindsight being applied in some of the criticism on here.  Not so long ago, many were clamouring for the return of GJ, and at the time those of us who pointed out that he left a poor legacy were absolutely hammered for speaking what is, in fact, the truth.  Yet now the rose-tinted glasses appear to have fallen off a number of faces.

Whether GJ is a nice person is irrelevant.  What is relevant is that he was revered by many at City for finally achieving a long-overdue promotion - now, I've seen three other managers get City up in my time, none of whom got anywhere near the same level of love (Cooper, Jordan and Ward).  Yet he left a lousy legacy, full of overpaid, long contract and ageing players, with no real promise of youth coming through.  That legacy is still being sorted out.

Maybe he's done the same thing at Yeovil.  Certainly his behaviour earlier in the week appears to have been somewhat unprofessional.

Archived