IGNORED

New Job For Sean O'Driscoll?

BS15_RED

Good luck to him.

Many seem to think this is the ideal job for him.

Me, I'm not so sure. I don't believe he has a reputation or proven track record of working with youth players and developing them (hasn't he largely in his career relied upon loan players coming in and turning fortunes: JET, Billy Sharp etc). Before someone mentions JET was relatively young at that time, yes he was, but he was already accomplished and just allowed to get on with his game whilst other players did his dirty work.

As for his style sure his philosophy is good, and he definitely talks a good game, but I have not seen that in practice. The football under him was dreary and drab. Donny played us off the park once and I think too much is made of this. Fans from Donny don't always mention it being like that and Forest certainly didn't get a slick patient passing game going.

As for his coaching ability I'm not sure about that either. Players didn't really seem to progress under his tenureship - indeed once he'd left players seemed to reach their potential.

All in all I am very surprised he has the job. He seems someone who has pulled together a reputation but I can't quite work out why because the results really aren't there once you peel away at his career. I think because he is articulate he is respected, not because of what he delivers.

The likes of Brendan Rodgers and Arsene Wenger have namechecked him in the past as someone who should be involved in coaching with the FA.

He's always said one of his goals is trying to get players to think for themselves in order to make the right decisions as opposed to being told what to do. Based on that, working with the supposed pick of the nation's youngsters should be the ideal job for him.

Good luck to him anyway.

I didn't want us to sack him because at the time I didn't disagree with the tactics/ players he was playing, and previously replacing managers didn't work. I never really liked O'Driscoll though quite a grumpy bloke and very reluctant to give the fans praise. Looking back the appointment of Cotterill was clearly the right decision as he's brought enthusiasm and confidence back into the club

Fair play to him. That's a great job for him and a chance to work with some of the countries best young players. It will be very interesting to see how he and his coaching methods develope at that level.

His time with us was a disaster. Make no bones about it but this is a good opportunity for him.

The likes of Brendan Rodgers and Arsene Wenger have namechecked him in the past as someone who should be involved in coaching with the FA.

He's always said one of his goals is trying to get players to think for themselves in order to make the right decisions as opposed to being told what to do. Based on that, working with the supposed pick of the nation's youngsters should be the ideal job for him.

Good luck to him anyway.

As mentioned above, neither Brendan Rodgers or Arsene Wenger have brought him on board. Has Brendan Rodgers ever even loaned him a player? As for Arsene Wenger he has had some pretty suspect backroom staff. As for players he has only ever loaned him JET I believe...?

'Getting players to think in order to make the right decisions'... I always thought that was a huge cop to be honest and actually a load of bull.

There are two parts to it: 'getting players to think'' - Players are not robots who go on the pitch and perform pre-set tasks. All players think for themselves and react and change their ways in and during a game as a reaction to what has gone on around them - such as a centre back on a booking, a winger tearing apart a full back etc etc etc.

'in order to make the right decisions' - Are there wrong decisions or are there just errors? What is a right decision in any case? There will at any time be a huge number of decisions for a player on the pitch; to be a nuisance about it there will be 10 players to pass to and remain in position, he could try to beat a man, he could attempt a one-two yada yada yada. If he is unsuccessful in his outcome was it a bad decision - not necessarily no.

Applying this to SOD if you are able to train someone to make the right decisions was he able to do this? The number of errors of a same kind carried out and the inability of the team to learn from mistakes makes me think he wasn't, which makes me think he is not as good a coach as some would have you believe.

As for under 19 coach with the FA presumably he has little time and contact with players in any case. Plus how many full internationals actually go through each age group rank and how many under 19's actually do not make the grade? Sounds like a token job for the unambitious or the incompetent.

Based on his time with us he'll be ideally suited to any job that doesn't require him to win football matches.

And as for this budget stuff whilst in charge of a League One team he spent half a million on Fielding and Flint so it was hardly GJ and Yeovil, was it?

Sadly although he will be well suited to this particular job, do I expect him to be a roaring success? not a chance IMO, because you might be correct about the type of football that we play but that is just the tip of the iceberg and is far from being the under lying cause of our failures on the international stage and you more than anyone else on this forum know this.

English players tend to lack the sort of commitment, they lack the single mindedness and they lack the personal discipline of their Spanish, Italian, French and Portuguese counter parts, they are overpaid which makes them lack motivation, the best Brit coaches have taken to learning their coaching trade abroad, now we need to try to achieve the same with our players, until our players are of a standard that could actually become a success in the best european teams or even wanted by the best european teams, our international team will still be pants.

SOD has got the job and I hope things will change but please don't let's try to pretend he is going to be the messiah because he ain't, at the moment he is a man with a very difficult job of trying to make a load of mainly overpaid, already egotistical and materialistic teenagers into international footballers and he has my best wishes in that task.

Points very well put fella.

Unfortunately, being 'told' and 'discipline' are very hard to instil in many of today's young 'ens in this Country.

I blame my own generation for allowing it to happen.

Most foreign youngsters work on technique and repetition...and they accept it as the norm without grudge.

Lots of ours find it boring and switch off...even heard it in the older players.

He will be hitting his head against the wall a lot unfortunately.

At least though...the FA are recognising their faults and slowly trying to do something about it...whether it will work is another thing.

Points very well put fella.

Unfortunately, being 'told' and 'discipline' are very hard to instil in many of today's young 'ens in this Country.

I blame my own generation for allowing it to happen.

Most foreign youngsters work on technique and repetition...and they accept it as the norm without grudge.

Lots of ours find it boring and switch off...even heard it in the older players.

He will be hitting his head against the wall a lot unfortunately.

At least though...the FA are recognising their faults and slowly trying to do something about it...whether it will work is another thing.

The other thing he will be up against is the clubs and players indifference to international football in general and especially at this level, I tend to believe 'Arry boy for once when he says about players asking him to get them out of an international 10 days before, again I don't think international football means as much to English players in the way that it does to foreign players, some of whom schlep to the other side of the world to play during the season.

on a slightly different note I have to be perfectly honest, based on the performances at the world cup, I don't think we will beat Switzerland in either game home or away, Switzerland start as favourites for the group IMO.

Oh no. That's another decade of watching England being outclassed by third rate teams.

Looks like I'll only see one successful England team in my lifetime. How depressing.

The blazers just don't get it. We are English. The only sustained success at an European level for English teams was Man Utd and Liverpool . Both playing the English style. High tempo, up and at them. Exciting to watch and effective.

For 30 years we have been trying to adopt the 'European style' - that's 2-3 generations of footballers. How much longer do they need to establish it doesn't suit our football playing culture? We're shit at it , always have been, currently are and, no doubt in the future, will continue to be. Besides that the Bayern Munich's of this world have already sussed how to counter it.

We want Clough! Failing that get someone with a bit of passion in charge, who'll fire up our players and get them playing for the shirt and busting a gut for 90 minutes. Get players playing a system, playing as a team - use Championship players if needs be rather than fitting square Premiership pounces into round holes.

They won't get this from SOD then. Never before have I seen such route one tactics at AG.

I know that football's a game of opinions, and we all have different ones, especially about SOD, but occasionally its possible to let facts get in the way. The amount of possession that we had under SOD, match in, match out, suggests that ours wasn't a route one game under him but was very much about retaining possession - which you only do playing a good passing game. Long passes, sometimes - eg JETs to Cunningham on Sunday - but not route one, % football.

edit - sorry spudski and WoWS - just seen your later posts! Agree that we didn't always have the players to find the space or make the right pass, and that passing it across the back line alone doesn't achieve much - but I think it was indicative of the way that he wanted us to play. And along side the games where teams successfully frustrated us were games where we played some great passing football - generally away from home  it has to be said.

Watching the dross served up whilst Sod was in place almost made me give up renewing my season ticket. Never before under any previous manager have I even been so dispondant, I go back nearly 60 years as a fan. Not sure the players had a clue what they were supposed be doing under his direction. Never like to see managers get the boot, but the bubbly came out the day Sod got his marching orders. Perhaps I am old and misguided but I never once saw the possession, passing game claimed by others on this forum. Best days work SL ever done was showing grumpy the door?

Stay classy people. It didn't work out for him here obviously, but I hope he does ok at Carlisle.

I'm the same.

I thought his time here was terrible and some of the most depressing, drab rubbish I'd seen us at in years.

But I would absolutely wish the man the best of luck to do well with someone else.

Oh no. That's another decade of watching England being outclassed by third rate teams.

Looks like I'll only see one successful England team in my lifetime. How depressing.

The blazers just don't get it. We are English. The only sustained success at an European level for English teams was Man Utd and Liverpool . Both playing the English style. High tempo, up and at them. Exciting to watch and effective.

For 30 years we have been trying to adopt the 'European style' - that's 2-3 generations of footballers. How much longer do they need to establish it doesn't suit our football playing culture? We're shit at it , always have been, currently are and, no doubt in the future, will continue to be. Besides that the Bayern Munich's of this world have already sussed how to counter it.

We want Clough! Failing that get someone with a bit of passion in charge, who'll fire up our players and get them playing for the shirt and busting a gut for 90 minutes. Get players playing a system, playing as a team - use Championship players if needs be rather than fitting square Premier League pounces into round holes.

For 30 years we have been trying to adopt the 'European style'... England has not tried to copy European models because that requires a national strategy governed by FA's. England does not have enough coaches for kids to oversee what the Dutch, Germans, French or Spanish do.

Liverpool teams used to strangle the opposition by retaining possession of the ball. It could often be very negative with a stream of back passes to take the sting out of the game. It was possession based football with players comfortable [Emlyn Hughes apart] on the ball who dictated the tempo of the game, coupled with high pressing using a trigger [Rush].

Unfortunately for England Johnny Foreigner took what Liverpool did, refined it and now England get out pressed, out fought, out everything when they step up to tournament level against class International opponents. The Germans actually do not play that differently to England, they use what was a Anglo Saxon trait i.e hard running - pressing and ally it to a trait England players LACK in technique = World Champions.

England can't do what the odd club side did once did well because others are doing it better at both club and International level.

You talk a lot of sense fella.

Unfortunately there are many fans in this country, some of which you can see on this thread, that think blood and guts football will win us Tournaments... it's a no win situation.

I would describe Borussia Dortmund as a exceptionally high tempo side, but I can't seriously think of an obvious English player who would possess the necessary core skills to play in their midfield.

It still comes down to the same lack of ball appreciation.

When the die hard SOD supporters come out on threads like this it reminds me of those Japanese soldiers still hiding in the jungles 25 years after they've lost the war.

29AR has it right. O'Driscoll's reputation is based on what he says, not what he does. His achievements are very modest, and when he was here he showed that he simply didn't have what it takes when the going got tough.

Robertson, the flying winger, was anything but dour. Forest were minnows of the European football world, they played to their strengths, to their own unique team plan with a highly motivational manager and were highly successful. England, attempting to copy others move from one massive fail to another.

Anyhow's, off to bed to dream of a team full of continental style Henderson's.

Archived