IGNORED

Swindon .v. Preston

old_eastender

So much for the games in hand that PNE once had, still 5 points clear.

Lets see what MKD do with their games in hand.

If when we beat Swindon we will be in a very good position..

This is the thing about points on the board compared to games in hand; you can't lose them.

Preston had a hell of a run, but for me they've just illustrated how fixture congestion can't really de-rail good form.

We've been very lucky to meet a lot of teams after they've had to play significantly more games in the build up to facing us.

This is something that we will hopefully avoid, thanks to a lack of international players and from hopefully not going to replays in things like the FA Cup.

A win, loss but definitely not a draw Saturday please!

Fully expect Preston to fall away now. The last two games have been the only sides they have played away in the top 16 in the league this season and they have failed to pick up a point. MK Dons & Rochdale will be our biggest threats to our 'automatic' hopes this season.

Sheffield united are lurking - same number of points as Rochdale and also with a game in hand over us.

Sheffield united are lurking - same number of points as Rochdale and also with a game in hand over us.

Peterboro could also still feature. They have an awful record against the bottom 6 teams (lost every game) but, us apart, their record against the top half teams is the best in the league. Our 'Sky' fixture v them will be very difficult.

What, the side that lost at home to Barnsley on Saturday?

Your point being? They also won away at Bradford, from memory we only managed to get a draw against Bradford at home.

Come January Sheffield United have financial ability to strengthen considerably more than competitors such as Rochdale, Swindon, Notts County etc as they get by far and away the largest attendances in the league.

Swindon away going to be very tough for us. Would probably take a draw there as it stands.

They've a very inexperienced side so it depends more on 'which team turns up on the day'. They can be very poor too, ya know.

Plus a formation match may well suit us for the win. They're not so strong down the wing back flanks.

I predict Joe Bryan runs riot and Little gets over marked (again) by 2/3 players and Freeman brightens up our play.

Your point being? They also won away at Bradford, from memory we only managed to get a draw against Bradford at home.

Come January Sheffield United have financial ability to strengthen considerably more than competitors such as Rochdale, Swindon, Notts County etc as they get by far and away the largest attendances in the league.

Though I see our point RE their budget in comparison to the teams you mention, I'm sure I read somewhere at the season's start that they were under relatively tight spending limits this term, having spent only nominal amounts on players in the summer.

Was under the impression that they aren't currently rolling in it, at least not in the sense that they can be cavalier in the market mid-season, where prices tend to be inflated, and picking slim, at least when it comes to reasonably priced players who'd add something to a squad such as theirs.

I don't agree but recognise that it depends which way you look at it. Don't think there were clear favoured results tonight and don't think any possible outcomes would have been disastorous either.

A draw had to be the best result. A net 2 points rather than 3.

Hey?... Big crowds do not mean they have a bigger purse; on the contrary such a team often over extends, gets into debt and is hampered from strengthening. And if you read around the subject you will discover the Blades are not far off being financially a little vulnerable.

I would just add that if Clough succeeds in the club finishing in the top 6 i think he will have done more than a very good job

Hey?... Big crowds do not mean they have a bigger purse; on the contrary such a team often over extends, gets into debt and is hampered from strengthening. And if you read around the subject you will discover the Blades are not far off being financially a little vulnerable.

I would just add that if Clough succeeds in the club finishing in the top 6 i think he will have done more than a very good job

Sorry, I stand corrected.

I just assumed (obviously wrongly!) that under FFP Sheffield Utd with attendances of 20k would be able to afford better players than Rochdale with 4k, Swindon with 6k etc.

Sorry, I stand corrected.

I just assumed (obviously wrongly!) that under FFP Sheffield Utd with attendances of 20k would be able to afford better players than Rochdale with 4k, Swindon with 6k etc.

I think the point is, often you are left hamstrung with big crowds (yet dwindling) and big wages if things go wrong. you

A draw had to be the best result. A net 2 points rather than 3.

This is very true, but the home win was second best result, if Swindon can beat the two top teams at home in consecutive games that would be some achievement but quite unlikely in the fortunes of football, unless you are the likes of Chelsea or the famous Bristol City that is .   :chant6ez:

We have a win ratio of plus 10, the next best stat from other teams chasing us is just 5, this has to be at least equalled for us to be caught, and when you also factor in our superior points per game ratio we are at the moment enjoying a healthy lead at the top, I take nothing for granted as a City fan, but we will need to play relegation style for some time to be overhauled. 

Total agreement from me. Sheffield United will be in the mix right up to the end of the season. They will do some buying in January.

And I believe, also PNE, MK Dons, Preston and the wild card, Rochdale.

Great win last night and without our best player - Byrne.

Preston looked a very solid outfit but we pissed all over them 2nd half.

Pathetic attendance - nobody can understand why, but probably down to the summer 'who owns the club' shenanigans.

Whatever the reason it was awful.

Our problem will be lack of depth in the squad cos our first XI really is very good.

Not a dig, but have you played anyone in the top 6 yet?

Pathetic attendance - nobody can understand why, but probably down to the summer 'who owns the club' shenanigans.

Our problem will be lack of depth in the squad cos our first XI really is very good.

We beat MK Dons, Drew with Rochdale, and beat Notts County

Swindles attendancing have always been poor only took 1200 to MK Dons 65 miles away for a so say top 6 clash.

Will be interesting if you can keep this form going with a small squad, I think the loans you seem to depend on will not help in the long run, but with finances as they are it's understandable you have to loan. However I think it is 14 years Swindon have been in this league, so well beyond your sell by date.

Archived