IGNORED

Bristol Sport "disappointed" With Atmosphere At Ag

CyderInACan

I did not think the atmosphere was that bad Tues - not that much worse than most of the season.

But like others I was not really in the mood to make much noise...having had to make a two and a half hour roundtrip to pick up my son from school (usually half hour at most) I lost most of my voice muttering and shouting at the gridlock we were all in. Then to have to queue for far too long to get into a sh*t stand (sorry Dolman STH here) and sit on a sh*t, tiny wooden seat, and have loads of people walk and stand in front of me as they were forced to try and find their seat having queued for ages to either pick up a ticket or just get in - hardly put me, or anyone around me, in a good mood. Not having our usual crew of friends around me, having a sh*t view where most of the action took place along the length of whatever metal column happened to be nearest to me, did not endear me to the club. Seeing the Dolman empty and the lower Dolman covered, not removed, only made me miss my usual seat all the more.

Most of us do not get our own parking space, a nice stroll to our pre match hospitality suite, a nice wide, comfy seat, and a nice lounge to retire to at half time. Maybe if we all had that routine before a game we would be in better voice.

How about one of those lovely tartan rugs in the comfy seats to put across your lap? Did you want one of those?

Could not agree more - we come up with a myriad of excuses and blame others yet fail to look at ourselves. We are all waiting for others to get us going. Not sure what the answer is though - would be a little better if we could get through more than 2 phrases before letting it disappear into the night. Also some theme song that naturally lends itself to a crowd of non singers. Sadly not my forte but wanting to join in - after all it is our team giving their all - we need to give them huge support.

The biggest problem with generating an atmosphere at the Gate, is that for the past six(?) years we've been forced to witness absolute dross on the pitch. This has taken it's toll on supporters and the atmosphere has suffered. It's understandably going to take a little time to recover from such a sustained period of numbness/apathy. The fact we're doing well this year will help, but that's been partially offset by losing a stand to the redevelopment.

I can't agree more with those posters that suggest the easiest and most effective way is to have, at least part, of the new South Stand as unreserved seating.

The biggest problem with generating an atmosphere at the Gate, is that for the past six(?) years we've been forced to witness absolute dross on the pitch. This has taken it's toll on supporters and the atmosphere has suffered. It's understandably going to take a little time to recover from such a sustained period of numbness/apathy. The fact we're doing well this year will help, but that's been partially offset by losing a stand to the redevelopment.

I can't agree more with those posters that suggest the easiest and most effective way is to have, at least part, of the new South Stand as unreserved seating.

Agree with this.  And the fact the stand they removed was the majority of the atmosphere ....well it was always going to happen.

This is not just a Bristol city thing,the atmosphere at football in general has changed.Did anyone watch the ipswich game last night,20 odd thousand fans and you could hear a pin drop,truly awful.I do however believe it could be upped a notch or two if we as fans stopped turning up just expecting to win,which does make a nice change from the previous few seasons when we just turned up expecting to lose mind.When we're bad were bad,but when Ashton gate is rocking we are really quite good,as hopefully WHU will find out,fingers crossed. I would also add that as the season reaches the buisness end,the excitement will build and atmosphere accordingly.

Not really a good game in which to judge the atmosphere of AG with only two stands being open. Like any other club, the seasons that we have had previously any ground would have been likened to a library but this season the atmosphere has been a lot better due to the positive upturn in results over the past 12 months, long may it continue until the redevelopment is completed and beyond. 

Having one side of the stadium open and dispersing the noisiest contingent to the traditional library corner hasn't helped.

I sit in a usually quiet part of the Dolman, but I think this season has been fairly noisy and rambuctious, given the crowd constraints.

A new stadium with a successful team and a passionate manager, hosting big clubs, and we'll see noise levels rise dramatically.

Red - given your journalist background, I was going to criticise you for your misspelling: interestingly, I have just established that this is, in fact, the American version.

You are forgiven! 

Out of interest, I have been working in Swansea this week and got chatting to a few Jacks about various things. They mentioned the rebuild of the Gate and how impressed they were with it so I asked them how they transferred the atmosphere from the Vetch to the Liberty (or Black rock stadium as it was then)?

They said that the club started with two years on non allocated unreserved seating in one end and that has been pivotal to fans transferring together. They could buy tickets for that specific area of the stadium but couldn't buy a particular seat even if they wanted to.

The fact their noisier supporters have since moved en-masse to another part of the stadium isn't important but the unreserved areas were very important to the Jacks in keeping at least some of the atmosphere when they moved as those noisier fans could congregate without spoiling the experience of others as part of that unreserved area became the noisy area over time.

Food for thought methinks!

Getting the right type of personnel together. Generals to lead, Lieutenants to Troops x results / alcohol / away fans to show off to /abuse.

Sadly i have to agree with this post, was in BS3 boozer before the game, no atmosphere apart from the fact it was busy, back in the day this pub was a couldron of madness, songs and general beer swilling......and we all sang....now it's just watch the telly and piss off to the game half hour before kick off just to find yer bleeding seats....bring back the hoolies big time...sod you purists, avit x

So what are the KEY INGREDIENTS for a brilliant atmosphere then?

Cut the fans some slack;

H & S have taken over it seems, cant do this cant do that, cant wave flags, only in yellow hatched lines and only then at certain times, no swearing, standing or aggravating chants towards the away fans, sit down shut the hell up basically :shutup:  but give some atmosphere please  :facepalm:

Cant have unreserved seating because UMMM...we need to allow an extra 10% of seating for any area given and we CANT AFFORD THAT as it looks like we will mostly sell out (16,000) at all next seasons games if we go up.

Football is now ALL about the money and fans wishes come way down the list, until our club needs them again, like the last half dozen years.

Wish I could wind the clock back 50yrs when going to the Gate was a pleasure which ever div...... soul less bowl road is the road we are going down if them upstairs don't wake up.

Crap opposition.

Crap weather.

A lack of love for the cup these days.

Busy schedule of games.

Disruption caused by construction.

Lack of spare cash after Christmas.

League a clear priority.

Losing not the end of the world. Promotion is everything this year.

With 2 stands closed everyone is facing an empty stand and doesn't have noise directed at them.

Need I go on?

But there were still 6,500 City fans there.  Why were only 200 trying?

I'll go. In the [not] sing when your winning section formerly loud chaps are no longer loud. Its all about that boffins Maslows hiarchy of needs. When you do not particulry like the new gaff that surounds you behavior changes. Different stand, different people = teensy weensy bit #### = Not as good.

Exactly.  I like to think of myself as one of those "loud chaps" but I've really no love for the section I'm standing in and my behaviour has changed in recent games.

So what are the KEY INGREDIENTS for a brilliant atmosphere then?

Booze.  Then, maybe.....more booze.  I find booze always helps a little as well.

Getting the right type of personnel together. Generals to lead, Lieutenants to Troops x results / alcohol / away fans to show off to /abuse.

This is why the behaviours of the "loud chaps" is different this year.  From game to game, I don't know where I'll be stood, I don't know if I'll be able to stand with my loyal group around me, I don't know if the people I'm stood with are there to sing, or because it was the cheapest option, singing anything toward the away fans is pointless as it won't be heard, plus stewards continually giving me the eye if I shout something 'non-pc', or if I stand in a stairwell (we all have to put up with a little disruption during the rebuild Mr Steward, Dave L told me, so if it means I am half-standing in a yellow zone because there's no room anywhere else, then maybe you'll just have to live with it this year.  Believe me, if there's an emergency, I won't be standing still in the yellow box holding everyone else up!!)

I've read with great interest all of the threads here this season about the atmosphere, numerous times there have been quite brutal posts aimed toward those in the 'singing' section, or ex-East Enders, saying how poor we've been.  How many of the people on here who've posted about a lack of atmosphere actually stood up and started something off themselves???  I'm afraid that this season, there are a few hundred who are trying very very hard, but not many are joining in (not just in the Williams block but all around the ground).  I've been heartened a couple of time when I've heard the Dolman or Ayteo from where I stand, it's great, but it needs more people to join in and more often.  Anyone who criticises the atmosphere but doesn't attempt to start or join a song themselves is a hypocrite.

The last few years in the EE have been some of the best times I've had watching City (despite the performances on the pitch).  I was able to get there when I wanted, in the knowledge my regular place was secure - everyone had their own zone and you knew who'd be there week to week.  That builds camaraderie amongst the fans, everyone knows who is who, we have have a chat, a laugh, a sing, a shout.  There are blokes I see in the EE but not anywhere else and we're mates.  I know nothing about them apart from they're an EE-er.  But we know enough to have respect for each other and have a great time for 90 mins.  All of this is missing this year from the Williams block.  There is zero camaraderie.  A lot of lads have lost the love for it.

The solution.

1) An unreserved area, large enough to provide all of us with the room to 'find our zone'.

2) A relaxed stance on standing.

3) A group of stewards who are not over-officious and allow for the odd bit of non-pc fun.

4) An area within a fair distance of the away support - this naturally creates noise.

5) Allowance of flags, at any time of the game, not in designated boxes and specific times.

6) An area for flags to hang - this provides the contingent with pride.

7) The area NOT to be the cheapest - this has resulted in fans in the 'singing' section who are not actually bothered about singing.

8) The allowance of a bar / hut which serves alcohol whenever fans want it - not a small 65 capacity area in which you can't get served until the half-time whistle has blown.

9) Said bar not to show the game live on TV - I am guilty of this myself, but it means people sit in a bar rather than in the stand.

You need booze, flags, a relaxed attitude, people to feel 'at home' in their surroundings and it needs to be near the away support.

Will it happen - unlikely.

But there were still 6,500 City fans there.  Why were only 200 trying?

Exactly.  I like to think of myself as one of those "loud chaps" but I've really no love for the section I'm standing in and my behaviour has changed in recent games.

Booze.  Then, maybe.....more booze.  I find booze always helps a little as well.

This is why the behaviours of the "loud chaps" is different this year.  From game to game, I don't know where I'll be stood, I don't know if I'll be able to stand with my loyal group around me, I don't know if the people I'm stood with are there to sing, or because it was the cheapest option, singing anything toward the away fans is pointless as it won't be heard, plus stewards continually giving me the eye if I shout something 'non-pc', or if I stand in a stairwell (we all have to put up with a little disruption during the rebuild Mr Steward, Dave L told me, so if it means I am half-standing in a yellow zone because there's no room anywhere else, then maybe you'll just have to live with it this year.  Believe me, if there's an emergency, I won't be standing still in the yellow box holding everyone else up!!)

I've read with great interest all of the threads here this season about the atmosphere, numerous times there have been quite brutal posts aimed toward those in the 'singing' section, or ex-East Enders, saying how poor we've been.  How many of the people on here who've posted about a lack of atmosphere actually stood up and started something off themselves???  I'm afraid that this season, there are a few hundred who are trying very very hard, but not many are joining in (not just in the Williams block but all around the ground).  I've been heartened a couple of time when I've heard the Dolman or Ayteo from where I stand, it's great, but it needs more people to join in and more often.  Anyone who criticises the atmosphere but doesn't attempt to start or join a song themselves is a hypocrite.

The last few years in the EE have been some of the best times I've had watching City (despite the performances o the pitch).  I was able to get there when I wanted, in the knowledge my regular place was secure - everyone had their own zone and you knew who'd be there week to week.  That builds camaraderie amongst the fans, everyone knows who is who, we have have a chat, a laugh, a sing, a shout.  There are blokes I see in the EE but not anywhere else and we're mates.  I know nothing about them apart from they're an EE-er.  But we know enough to have respect for each other and have a great time for 90 mins.  All of this is missing this year from the Williams block.  There is zero camaraderie.  A lot of lads have lost the love for it.

The solution.

1) An unreserved area, large enough to provide all of us with the room to 'find our zone'.

2) A relaxed stance on standing.

3) A group of stewards who are not over-officious and allow for the odd bit of non-pc fun.

4) An area within a fair distance of the away support - this naturally creates noise.

5) Allowance of flags, at any time of the game, not in designated boxes and specific times.

6) An area for flags to hang - this provides the contingent with pride.

7) The area NOT to be the cheapest - this has resulted in fans in the 'singing' section who are not actually bothered about singing.

8) The allowance of a bar / hut which serves alcohol whenever fans want it - not a small 65 capacity area in which you can't get served until the half-time whistle has blown.

9) Said bar not to show the game live on TV - I am guilty of this myself, but it means people sit in a bar rather than in the stand.

You need booze, flags, a relaxed attitude, people to feel 'at home' in their surroundings and it needs to be near the away support.

Will it happen - unlikely.

Spot on Harry, agree with everything said; unlikey/not gonna happen we have our memories to live with though, feel sorry for the newbies who don't.

Sadly i have to agree with this post, was in BS3 boozer before the game, no atmosphere apart from the fact it was busy, back in the day this pub was a couldron of madness, songs and general beer swilling......and we all sang....now it's just watch the telly and piss off to the game half hour before kick off just to find yer bleeding seats....bring back the hoolies big time...sod you purists, avit x

:clapping:  :yes:  :drunk2: Yep woody mucker

Perhaps before the game kicked off, Mr Billingham should have walked down from his ivory tower and dealt with the 70 yard queue to collect tickets which had been purchased online or via the phone in the days leading up to the match. As a consequence of being unable to add the match onto my season ticket card online I had to join this queue at 7:30pm having rushed back through the snow from work in Oxford. Thus I missed the start of a game for the first time in 50+ years. Ironically, I could have bought a POTD ticket almost immediately.

I eventually took my seat for the first time ever in the Atyeo (I'm a long-term Dolman STH) on a night when the ground was just two-sided. I was freezing cold, wet and angry. No, I didn't feel much like shouting and bawling (at the team).

People in glass houses (and ivory towers) are unwise to start throwing stones, Mr Billingham.

+1

Sometimes it has nothing to do with what is going on on the pitch as can't fault this season so far.

Off the pitch and in the stands? mmmmmm much work is needed.

Well after watching 21 minutes of this video below on youtube i can see what i am missing and i am totally underwhelmed with what is happening this season in the Williams and what we could be getting in the future. Sometimes it has nothing to do with what is going on with the football (been doing theme flag days even in relegation) but this season that is great but yes with the fans situation "disappointed" is about right, although the Doncaster game was not the right game/time to piont it out as many factors that night

did not help (as pointed out by others).

Not all their fault (fans) reduced capacity amongst other red tape that football has become.

All about the right mix and not to upset each style of support as we all support BCFC but not all in the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiyI4d0UAhw

Sometimes it has nothing to do with what is going on on the pitch as can't fault this season so far.

Off the pitch and in the stands? mmmmmm much work is needed.

Well after watching 21 minutes of this video below on youtube i can see what i am missing and i am totally underwhelmed with what is happening this season in the Williams and what we could be getting in the future. Sometimes it has nothing to do with what is going on with the football (been doing theme flag days even in relegation) but this season that is great but yes with the fans situation "disappointed" is about right, although the Doncaster game was not the right game/time to piont it out as many factors that night

did not help (as pointed out by others).

Not all their fault (fans) reduced capacity amongst other red tape that football has become.

All about the right mix and not to upset each style of support as we all support BCFC but not all in the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiyI4d0UAhw

You can not reproduce this sort of thing sadly,it all comes sort of naturally to like minded people,who basically don't give a FF what people think of them.People bang on about Crystal Palace,I personaly find it all  a bit contrived,a bit twee,with the majority of songs being nothing short of a continental type dirge,very few old school songs being sung there,loud maybe,but too orchestrated for me personaly.

You can not reproduce this sort of thing sadly,it all comes sort of naturally to like minded people,who basically don't give a FF what people think of them.

People bang on about Crystal Palace,I personaly find it all a bit contrived,a bit twee,with the majority of songs being nothing short of a continental type dirge,very few old school songs being sung there,loud maybe,but too orchestrated for me personaly.

Well a fair bit was themed by some of us by being spontaneous and that works, towards the end it got regimental but it is now the noise and social community i now miss.

The key thing is like minded fans being allowed to get back on the saddle but sadly i feel it is going to be diluted but fans must speak up to keep it..

A bar was raised at points for others to beat or equal and don't underestimate the fans of our club...

It can be done as some said that stand would never be reopened by BCFC let alone whats in the video..

Well a fair bit was themed by some of us by being spontaneous and that works, towards the end it got regimental but it is now the noise and social community i now miss.

The key thing is like minded fans being allowed to get back on the saddle but sadly i feel it is going to be diluted but fans must speak up to keep it..

A bar was raised at points for others to beat or equal and don't underestimate the fans of our club...

It can be done as some said that stand would never be reopened by BCFC let alone whats in the video..

Yes i'm totally with you on this,if we find a part of the ground where we can all get back together and sing and shout and slag off the ref,linesman opposition team,fans and anything else that takes our fancy,it will have to be done by us the fans,not the club.

Archived