IGNORED

Bristol Sport "disappointed" With Atmosphere At Ag

CyderInACan

Cut the fans some slack;

H & S have taken over it seems, cant do this cant do that, cant wave flags, only in yellow hatched lines and only then at certain times, no swearing, standing or aggravating chants towards the away fans, sit down shut the hell up basically :shutup:  but give some atmosphere please  :facepalm:

Cant have unreserved seating because UMMM...we need to allow an extra 10% of seating for any area given and we CANT AFFORD THAT as it looks like we will mostly sell out (16,000) at all next seasons games if we go up.

Football is now ALL about the money and fans wishes come way down the list, until our club needs them again, like the last half dozen years.

Wish I could wind the clock back 50yrs when going to the Gate was a pleasure which ever div...... soul less bowl road is the road we are going down if them upstairs don't wake up.

If BCFC was running at a profit I'd agree with you but it isn't. It is running at a loss and if there is money to be gained next season we should take it. Furthermore if some couldn't get tickets to a big game this year when 500 odd seats must be empty would piss a lot off. Other than that I agree

• Admin

We may not be getting a bowl but what we get will be soulless

Have you learnt how to time travel?

As mentioned above if the like minded fans are given the opportunity to get back to how is was, there is no reason we can't get a decent atmosphere going again.

There is enough room in the ground to cater for all fans.

I've said before the club can have their family section, and stands where old and young can sit together in comfort and safety where not much goes on but watching the football. But don't expect to put singing sections in that type of stand and expect the atmosphere to be great. 

The new South Stand needs to be unreserved from day one, if you go in there, you will expect to be in a place where the home comforts of watching the football are not top of the list, the bloke next to you may stink a little of wee and cider (apologies for this in advance), putting groups together who don't want to be together will never work, new stand get it right from day one.

Let people know that it isn't a family stand, it wont be reserved, it may be noisy, your view from time to time will be obstructed, ram the message home now that it is there for you to add an atmosphere to the football

Once the ground is finished I cant see us selling out every week, so wouldnt it be better for the club to make part of South Stand unreserved and with the 10% of seats they cant use, offer the same 10% amount of seats in the upper tier of the Williams but at the same price and the south stand?

This would be on the priviso that the South Stand minus 10% has sold out.

Of course, for big games you may have to make everything reserved seating just so we can meet demand.

Have you learnt how to time travel?

As mentioned above if the like minded fans are given the opportunity to get back to how is was, there is no reason we can't get a decent atmosphere going again.

I have every faith in our support, I have no faith in club when it comes to wanting to build an atmosphere. Despite what the suit at the top says

I have every faith in our support, I have no faith in club when it comes to wanting to build an atmosphere. Despite what the suit at the top says

He's asking for ideas, so I presume they DO want to build an atmosphere. That will enhance what he'd see as "the customer experience" and may help the club to succeed on-field, all of which equals more money for BCFC/BS and less subsidy required from Mr Lansdown.

So I think you are wrong in saying they don't want to enhance atmosphere, but you're probably right in assuming they haven't a clue how to do it!

I have to say that the atmosphere at AG this season has been very ordinary.

Quite why we placed the "singing section" as far from the away end - when putting them in the Williams next to the away section would have brought a much better atmosphere - well who knows how our club works.

Atmosphere is pretty poor for a club near the top tho if we're honest with ourselves.

Quite why we placed the "singing section" as far from the away end - when putting them in the Williams next to the away section would have brought a much better atmosphere - well who knows how our club works.

Atmosphere is pretty poor for a club near the top tho if we're honest with ourselves.

up till this season I sat in Upper Williams D and you could usually get at least 1/2 hours kip if things were slow on the field...........perhaps its catching :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's the people who give it soul, not a grotty old tin-roofed stand.

There are fans who loved matchday in that grotty tin roofed stand. There are fans who are concerned their kids are already losing interest in football without it.

Depending on your perception of what soul is it may be hard to add soul to what even the club are calling a seating bowl. It is hard to add interest to fluid symmetry. A curve willl remain a curve. Age will not alter the curve, the roof will remain high and open. The club wanted  fluid symmetry not soul.

Can Supporters make the seating bowl less ordinary? Yes, but the noises coming from BS - BCFC at the recent consultation were not reassuring , the experience gained in the Eastend leads to a conclusion - They need to look at themselves and review their performance not that of fans.

Sometimes it has nothing to do with what is going on on the pitch as can't fault this season so far.

Off the pitch and in the stands? mmmmmm much work is needed.

Well after watching 21 minutes of this video below on youtube i can see what i am missing and i am totally underwhelmed with what is happening this season in the Williams and what we could be getting in the future. Sometimes it has nothing to do with what is going on with the football (been doing theme flag days even in relegation) but this season that is great but yes with the fans situation "disappointed" is about right, although the Doncaster game was not the right game/time to piont it out as many factors that night

did not help (as pointed out by others).

Not all their fault (fans) reduced capacity amongst other red tape that football has become.

All about the right mix and not to upset each style of support as we all support BCFC but not all in the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiyI4d0UAhw

Topman CH as always, if them upstairs cant see whats needed then they are in the wrong job; its right about "its not whats going on the pitch" it is the matchday exp and its sh1te atm; the most exciting bit is outside before the game, even that's dying a death as fans are almost giving up.

We heard about how re the familes, community trust, corporates etc will benefit from the development.

Now I want to know what the 25-50 year old blokes who've been following the club home and away for years who like a drink and song get out of it. That's all

well I`m over 50 (been going for 50yrs) well over and don't get nothing out of it at all, at the moment, so hardly bother at all now, I see nothing happening to change that; couldn't care less what division we are in its not all about that.  :mf_sleep:

be good to see for one game if e block swapped with the corner at other end of williams,what the atmosphere was like,id bet my house it would be better

There are fans who loved matchday in that grotty tin roofed stand. There are fans who are concerned their kids are already losing interest in football without it.

Depending on your perception of what soul is it may be hard to add soul to what even the club are calling a seating bowl. It is hard to add interest to fluid symmetry. A curve willl remain a curve. Age will not alter the curve, the roof will remain high and open. The club wanted fluid symmetry not soul.

Can Supporters make the seating bowl less ordinary? Yes, but the noises coming from BS - BCFC at the recent consultation were not reassuring , the experience gained in the Eastend leads to a conclusion - They need to look at themselves and review their performance not that of fans.

I agree with your last sentence - which is why when someone asks for ideas the fans should engage with him rather than just slag the guy.

As for the EE, of course people got attached to it, but things move on. This ground has been continuously improved a changed over 100 years.

We'll all be happier when the work is done and we can settle into our new environment.

I agree with your last sentence - which is why when someone asks for ideas the fans should engage with him rather than just slag the guy.

As for the EE, of course people got attached to it, but things move on. This ground has been continuously improved a changed over 100 years.

We'll all be happier when the work is done and we can settle into our new environment.

Progress is a perception. 

Your all may be happy.

Our environment? To some unreserved seating, communal spaces for the loud, young and old are very important. BS -  BCFC are taking that away.

What do you say to a young child who misses his old friends he saw in the Eastend and asks what will the new stand will be like? " Nothing like the old one Son things move on, you'll be sat rigid in THAT seat from now on, forget your friends!"

The club have had seven years in the Eastend to enage with fans and still sent in teams of Stewards to deal with a fan who waved a flag. 

At the recent consultation BS - BCFC were not slagged off, fans were polite. Mr  Lansdown called the reopening of the Eastend a success, the answers provided by BS - BCFC did not reflect, respect or acknowledge that. BS - BCFC had an opporunity to address some of the same points which occur in this thread then. That opportunity was used to highlight how loud it might sound in the centre circle. And they were not slagged off for it.

Read Harrys post he nailed it. At times it was great. We are now mediocre, or worse. Fans here can improve, but it requires change from BS - BCFC, sincere change first..   

Completely agree WTMS we'll all be packed into plastic rigid seats like sardines sat on our asses.

Not an environment associated with atmosphere is it?

But Dave L said the priority is to sell tickets not allow unreserved seating so the atmosphere will definitely get worse before it gets better.

Quite. I do agree, but the key phrase is "before it gets better".

It CAN get better, but it requires fan engagement, forbearance during the build - which was always going to be a difficult period AND the club listening, and I agree with you that they haven't been all that good at that in the past.

However that's why if some "suit" tweets that the atmosphere isn't great, and asks for ideas, I'd rather people engaged with him, even if it's ramming the same ideas that have been ignored previously down his throat. Even oil tankers - and Damion Stewart! - can turn eventually, and pennies may drop after a while at the club.

To all those missing the EE I sympathise, but unfortunately doing nothing was not an option. The club had to look at ways to boost its revenue.

Harrys post is the bomb , agree with every word , alas i fear those days are gone forever , i only feel it away these days , on the pitch its great and i love what i am seeing this season , most of the grounds in the championship and the prem come across as the wimbledon centre court experience , well thats not for me .

Quite. I do agree, but the key phrase is "before it gets better".

It CAN get better, but it requires fan engagement, forbearance during the build - which was always going to be a difficult period AND the club listening, and I agree with you that they haven't been all that good at that in the past.

However that's why if some "suit" tweets that the atmosphere isn't great, and asks for ideas, I'd rather people engaged with him, even if it's ramming the same ideas that have been ignored previously down his throat. Even oil tankers - and Damion Stewart! - can turn eventually, and pennies may drop after a while at the club.

To all those missing the EE I sympathise, but unfortunately doing nothing was not an option. The club had to look at ways to boost its revenue.

And that can be done without sanitising the experience of all in future.

lastday.jpg

Fans wanting a singing section in the South stand after all the talk from BCFC is hardly aiming high. A singing section is hardly better than what we had in the seventies, eighties and onwards [at times]. In comparison a singing section for those who want it is not aiming high. It is small time. 

The business and corporate sector will certainly be serviced in the new Williams, of that there is no doubt. 

Some of us are engaging. Email to Andrew Billingham:

Andrew

I am sure you will have seen the reaction that your tweet about atmosphere has provoked. Much of it is captured in replies to you on twitter (see the WTMS links) and in this thread, however, I would draw your attention to "Harry's" post:

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/167018-bristol-sport-disappointed-with-atmosphere-at-ag/?p=2167694

Harry's perspective is very much where I am. There is a huge risk of a sanitised environment post-redevelopment if we are not careful.

My twitter reply about recognising those that have tried over the years simply reflects the history of some fans trying to make a difference. Like with most clubs, there is a history. In our case, campaigns to open the East End, unrestricted access, unreserved seating, surfer flags, flags hung up, flags being waved around, unique songs, streamers, red and white nights etc. Some degrees of success, but then there is health & safety, ground regulations and varying approaches to stewarding; all of which have become barriers.

This is a great piece about the Palace Holmesdale fanatics and what they have been through. Note the challenges they had in the early days and how much depended on working with a club board that eventually embraced it:

http://europeanfootballweekends.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/holmesdale-fanatics-crystal-palace-fc.html

Enough of the past. Here is a good example of another club listening to fans and embracing change:

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/south-stand-unreserved-seating-2203018.aspx

The Supporters Club & Trust is consulting within the fan base to construct a meaningful survey on unreserved seating, singing sections and atmosphere in general. It should be ready to roll shortly. The results can go to FAN, the Ashton Gate Ltd board if appropriate and of course to Bristol Sport. This, I hope, will help inform the approach to ticket sales for the 2015/16 season. I believe it is vital to establish habits and behaviour next season because once people have chosen their seats, it will be difficult to shift them.

Obviously happy to expand on any of this.

Regards

Stuart

Archived